Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Edit: Incidentally, my ex's hardcore YOU ARE SCUM IF YOU HAVE A BEER stance has come back to bite him on the rear end, as his best friend from school is now an alcoholic (the can't-hold-a-job-because-of-drinking kind) and won't listen to him when he tries to talk to him about his problem because "God, Brendan, everyone knows you freak the gently caress out if someone has a sip of wine, your perspective is way skewed."

To be totally fair to your ex, it's not his attitude that bit him on the rear end. When someone is an alcoholic (beyond just being a heavy drinker; I think too often the line is blurred between those two things) it doesn't matter what you do or say, because there is no fixing it without the alcoholic recognizing the problem and wanting to change. Your ex could drink nothing, or he could drink a case of beer every night, or any amount in between, and his friend's reaction would be exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

PT6A posted:

To be totally fair to your ex, it's not his attitude that bit him on the rear end. When someone is an alcoholic (beyond just being a heavy drinker; I think too often the line is blurred between those two things) it doesn't matter what you do or say, because there is no fixing it without the alcoholic recognizing the problem and wanting to change. Your ex could drink nothing, or he could drink a case of beer every night, or any amount in between, and his friend's reaction would be exactly the same.

Yeah, you're right about that. I'm not saying that if he hadn't been so vocally straightedge his friend would be willing to listen to him, but it certainly doesn't help matters. As a general rule, despite not having acted like that for over half a decade, he's pretty well typecast as the guy who flips out if someone orders a cocktail. Which is of course his own fault but has still got to be super annoying to deal with.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
I don't drink 'cause I take prescription drugs that, as a side effect, mean I get drunk very fast and will be physically ill after two, sometimes one unit of alcohol.

I don't really miss it, except when it's hot and I crave an iced margarita. Sometimes on special occasions I will have basically a shot-sized amount of something that is not as strong as what is generally drunk in shots - so like a shot glass of champagne or of someone else's cocktail.

I still smoke weed tho so I'm hardly straight edge.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Heh. I guess I'm one of those strange people. No booze, no drugs, no coffee.

I'm also considered "eccentric" or outright insane, depending on how charitably you want to describe me.

I don't need drugs. I am the drugs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't drink because my uncle was an alcoholic, and the only memories I have of him are sleeping off another binge. And later in life my mom came home from a work party too drunk to even stand.

I don't do drugs because my brother was an addict, and as an addict he was insanely easy to control. He came home high once, and anything I told him, ranging from 'shut up' to 'just go to bed' resulted in immediate action. He went from standing and talking to silent, and then dropping to the ground right off.

I somewhat know my own limits: if weed was legal I might try it when my period cramps were evil, but I also tend to overindulge: one candy bar becomes two pretty easy. Candy and junk food is one thing, alcohol is another when you have no tolerance for it.

Also I know a lot of people with DUIs. It fucks your life up bad. I can be a poo poo driver (we all are, admit it!) sober, I don't want to even think about driving even buzzed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also I know a lot of people with DUIs. It fucks your life up bad. I can be a poo poo driver (we all are, admit it!) sober, I don't want to even think about driving even buzzed.

I don't get why driving drunk is seen, by some drinkers and non-drinkers alike, as a natural consequence of drinking, as if it's somehow unavoidable. I drink quite a bit, but I've never driven drunk. It's hardly difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
My dad, mom, grandma, and grandpa are all alcoholics. High functioning alcoholics. But alcoholics nonetheless. And my mother has a history with drugs and addiction. Combined with my impulsive personality, lack of restraint, and the fact that my meds potentiate alcohol. It's just much simpler for me to avoid drugs and alcohol altogether.

• Locked thread