Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
heres some of the names they have for their battle systems

Enhanced Linear Motion Battle System (E-LMBS)
Dimension Stride Linear Motion Battle System (DS-LMBS)
Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System (FR-LMBS)
Aggressive Linear Motion Battle System (A-LMBS)
Trust and Tactical Linear Motion Battle System (TT-LMBS)
Multi Line Linear Motion Battle System (ML-LMBS)
Three Line Linear Motion Battle System (3L-LMBS)
Crossover Linear Motion Battle System (X-LMBS)
Evolved Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System (EFR-LMBS)
Combination Aerial Linear Motion Battle System (CNAR-LMBS)
Style Shift Linear Motion Battle System (SS-LMBS)
Petit Linear Motion Battle System
Flex Range Element Enhanced Linear Motion Battle System (FR:EE-LiMBS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Which Shin Megami Tensei games are worth playing besides P3/4?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Which Shin Megami Tensei games are worth playing besides P3/4?

SMT3: Nocturne, SMT4, Devil Survivor 1/2 if you like tactics rpgs, most (all?) of the Devil Summoner Raidou games, Persona 2, probably something else i've forgotten.

There's also Digital Devil Saga 1/2, which i havent played yet, but synthy says they're really good so thats a pretty trustworthy recommendation.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Strange Journey is cool and if you're okay with them being kind of primitive SMT1 and 2 are fine games. Note that by primitive I mean really samey corridor mazes and SMT1 doesn't have a good map system. Probably avoid demikids because they're dumb and kind of bad despite the pretty hilarious demon designs.

Also, play this

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

thank you for that, Strange Journey was the "something else i'd forgotten" title

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you. Is that Soul Hackers 3DS game worth adding to the playlist.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Thank you. Is that Soul Hackers 3DS game worth adding to the playlist.

Nope. Leave it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea soul hackers is more or less for megaten fans

revisit it if you find that that megaten games scratche the itch

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think Ima start with Nocturne :D

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Good choice.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Prepare for the greatest battle system of all time, Press Turn. It's only in 4 games. Nocturne, DDS1, DDS2 and SMT4. I think that the Digital Devil Saga games have the best version of it to date.

Strange Journey is also amazing despite not having Press Turn. The dungeons are really well designed.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If I like Nocturne ill hit up Digital Devil Saga next, but I hear it doesnt emulate well and my PS2 is in storage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

If I like Nocturne ill hit up Digital Devil Saga next, but I hear it doesnt emulate well and my PS2 is in storage.

I've emulated it myself. It's about the same as Nocturne.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Nocturne, DDS1 and DDS2 are on PS3 if you have one. When I tried to emulate DDS there were some minor graphical glitches but it played fine. I'm going through DDS1 on my PS3 right now, though.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's an item in DDS2 that gives you 4 press turns when used, lol. They gate it by only allowing you to have one in your inventory at a time, but it's still broken as poo poo. It also costs 50k a pop but that's like a handful of battles in late-game with the Rich Ring equipped.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There's an item in DDS2 that gives you 4 press turns when used, lol. They gate it by only allowing you to have one in your inventory at a time, but it's still broken as poo poo. It also costs 50k a pop but that's like a handful of battles in late-game with the Rich Ring equipped.

I assume that those are half turns... Either way I won't be stooping to Bat's level when I play DDS2.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I liked symphonia when I was younger and would love a sequel that didn't suck rear end

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

koolkal posted:

heres some of the names they have for their battle systems

Enhanced Linear Motion Battle System (E-LMBS)
Dimension Stride Linear Motion Battle System (DS-LMBS)
Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System (FR-LMBS)
Aggressive Linear Motion Battle System (A-LMBS)
Trust and Tactical Linear Motion Battle System (TT-LMBS)
Multi Line Linear Motion Battle System (ML-LMBS)
Three Line Linear Motion Battle System (3L-LMBS)
Crossover Linear Motion Battle System (X-LMBS)
Evolved Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System (EFR-LMBS)
Combination Aerial Linear Motion Battle System (CNAR-LMBS)
Style Shift Linear Motion Battle System (SS-LMBS)
Petit Linear Motion Battle System
Flex Range Element Enhanced Linear Motion Battle System (FR:EE-LiMBS)

Has any western game ever named it's battle system lol. Like yeah other devs are gonna adopt the famous SS-LMBS system and refer to it as such. Not gonna call it "the tales of whatever combat system" nope

I think SMT's press turn system is one of the most hilariously lazily or badly translated ones IMO

Begin with Uber Nice Typing And Never Underestimate a Title; my famous BUSTANUT thread posting system.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 14, 2015

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i know this isnt the tales thread anymore but i just wanted to let everyone know i found slenderman in Tales of Xillia

scary!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Swelter Discharge posted:

i know this isnt the tales thread anymore but i just wanted to let everyone know i found slenderman in Tales of Xillia

scary!

I think these are in vesperia with tales of the abyss character faces for some reason. It's messed up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Blast! I've started playing Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, but I just realized I've been playing the vanilla version instead of Maniax! Should I be playing that vers instead???

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

net cafe scandal posted:

Blast! I've started playing Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, but I just realized I've been playing the vanilla version instead of Maniax! Should I be playing that vers instead???

It is Maniax! The US release is almost identical to the JP Maniax.

there was another maniax in japan but the only difference is dante isn't in the game and raidou is in his place

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Good! Yahoo! I love how each demon has a unique voice so far.. some of these guys are real "crab apples".

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Good! Yahoo! I love how each demon has a unique voice so far.. some of these guys are real "crab apples".

hi friend,

i hope you are well. my loins tingle when i glimpse the past moments we shared in PM-paradise. I'm always smashing on an astral level, hoping to connect with that vital essence of yours....

in the interim, I've been playing Nocturne and Ogre Battle 64 (another goody!!) and I'd love to share progress updates and regale one-another with glorious and horrific tales of our shared experience. I'm p far into it right now, but my progress has stalled. (I'm at Asakasa being pursued by the White Rider for those of you, in the gnosis)

good luck friend. lots of demons are cool. early on I really suggest that you get an Amane no Uzume or w/e, also a little bit later you should fuse a cool Sarasvati with some good spells, she's one of the first demons to learn a passive that lets her regen mana while you move on the world map. fusion is really important and cool, so learn about it. also at the end of the game, if you still have that pixie, or a fusion decendent of that pixie that you got in the hospital at the beginning, you'll be rewarded in a cool way. its not the most important, but i recommend it for you...

love you

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Wanna play smt4 , is there plenty of twists and turns in the story to keep me interested? I'm going in expecting law/chaos reps to end up pretty stupid at the end of it

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Wanna play smt4 , is there plenty of twists and turns in the story to keep me interested? I'm going in expecting law/chaos reps to end up pretty stupid at the end of it

The story isn't super epic or anything but it's pretty cool and I liked the law/chaos guys.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
smt has taught me that people on the whole alignment chart are assholes

lucifer is chaos but he's chill as hell and i like him a lot in SMT games

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Silver Striker posted:

The story isn't super epic or anything but it's pretty cool and I liked the law/chaos guys.

cool. coming from nocturne which is a sweet as hell game with a great atmosphere. as long as the story is better then strange journey I can deal

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

strange journey has a really interesting story...

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Evil Eagle posted:

strange journey has a really interesting story...

*fat cannibal pig gently caress arch demon that eats your team members:"looks like you humans are the real naughty monsters!!"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm a little ways into smt4 and I like how the law/chaos dudes actually seem pretty reasonable and relatable for once. It was pretty lol in strange journey that the only thing that could get someone onto the law side was extreme ptsd too

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm a little ways into smt4 and I like how the law/chaos dudes actually seem pretty reasonable and relatable for once. It was pretty lol in strange journey that the only thing that could get someone onto the law side was extreme ptsd too

well just wait a bit and youll realize neutral is the only correct path

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So far Nocturne is 300 percent more interesting than Persona 4 from what Ive seen.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

hi friend,

i hope you are well. my loins tingle when i glimpse the past moments we shared in PM-paradise. I'm always smashing on an astral level, hoping to connect with that vital essence of yours....

in the interim, I've been playing Nocturne and Ogre Battle 64 (another goody!!) and I'd love to share progress updates and regale one-another with glorious and horrific tales of our shared experience. I'm p far into it right now, but my progress has stalled. (I'm at Asakasa being pursued by the White Rider for those of you, in the gnosis)

good luck friend. lots of demons are cool. early on I really suggest that you get an Amane no Uzume or w/e, also a little bit later you should fuse a cool Sarasvati with some good spells, she's one of the first demons to learn a passive that lets her regen mana while you move on the world map. fusion is really important and cool, so learn about it. also at the end of the game, if you still have that pixie, or a fusion decendent of that pixie that you got in the hospital at the beginning, you'll be rewarded in a cool way. its not the most important, but i recommend it for you...

love you

I feel the same way, hell maybe we can eeven get the gang bang together... i mean gang back together for some Project M 2v2 showdowns.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

So far Nocturne is 300 percent more interesting than Persona 4 from what Ive seen.

i'd say 2000%

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Persona 4 is awesome, but Nocturne is one of the best games I've ever played.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Swelter Discharge posted:

well just wait a bit and youll realize neutral is the only correct path

i need to do smt1 and 2 again and go neutral or chaos since i always did law because i was an idiot when i first played it

it's been 13 years since i've finished it :|

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
heres a bunch of smt stuff from my vita

twin dragons is cool

this is what the end of shadow yukiko looked like in my resources

gently caress YOU gently caress YOU GET OWNED

this isn't smt but it's here anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Strange Journey is really good, OP. I am glad you are enjoying Nocturne, it is my favorite one in the series.

Get Fog Breath ASAP and never let it go

• Locked thread