Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The Last Air Bender was good. I didn't think it was amazing but definitely good. The legend of Korra starts out kind of okay, the second season is a bit meh the third and fourth are pretty good. The show overall though has great visuals and an awesome soundtrack.

Also, Big-O should be included, it was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought Big O was an anime anime, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Season 2 was funded by Cartoon Network but other than that it is.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
My enjoyment of Avatar was mostly proportional to how much Toph (or Iroh) there was. So I only really liked season two, which fortunately had some interesting Earth Kingdom stuff going on as well.

I just watched all of Korra this week and didn't like it much on any level besides world building and fight choreography. The writing was just bad all around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Razzled posted:

I thought Young Justice was pretty awesome despite being DC

What does that mean? The Bruce Timm universe of Batman->Superman->Justice League->(Static Shock kinda)->Batman Beyond->Justice League Unlimited was pretty amazing and consistent throughout.

I thought Young Justice was overall okay, especially after the time skip which rushed things before it was cancelled because Cartoon Network is retarded in what it wants.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
DC stuff especially stuff that includes superman tends to be pretty boring but that's just my opinion I guess

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tae posted:

What does that mean? The Bruce Timm universe of Batman->Superman->Justice League->(Static Shock kinda)->Batman Beyond->Justice League Unlimited was pretty amazing and consistent throughout.

I thought Young Justice was overall okay, especially after the time skip which rushed things before it was cancelled because Cartoon Network is retarded in what it wants.

The surprise Batman Beyond episode of JLU was one of the best things ever. The comic that started with the new 52 is a fun read too since it's Batman, Justice League, and Superman Beyond. Somehow Superman Beyond is way better than present day Superman.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Razzled posted:

DC stuff especially stuff that includes superman tends to be pretty boring but that's just my opinion I guess

Usually, yeah. But the DCAU is genuinely good largely in part due to how they depower superman and don't just portray him as The Good Guy.

Tae posted:

It's a shame because my niece and a lot of kids at her school were really into Young Justice. Then they cancel it on that cliff hanger that will never be resolved.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Batman Beyond was completely ruined by the swerve on Terry's father shenanigans. Terry was better off as a random chance nobody who stumbles into the mantle.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ah, so after the Korra thread was closed, I suppose this is where we can argue infinitely about The Legend of Korra. :v:

Man, though, Kuvira in LOK Book 4 was awesome. Her fighting style was so goddamn cool.

I also love how she's basically Satsuki Kiryuin - Americanime Version. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shinjobi posted:

Batman Beyond was completely ruined by the swerve on Terry's father shenanigans. Terry was better off as a random chance nobody who stumbles into the mantle.

What, are you crazy? That plot twist was incredible, because the greatest and most powerful government officials think to re-create batman, they were going to murder Terry's parents in an alleyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tae posted:

What, are you crazy? That plot twist was incredible, because the greatest and most powerful government officials think to re-create batman, they were going to murder Terry's parents in an alleyway.

I think the issue I had was the biological tampering. I actually think it'd be funny if the greatest and most powerful government kept making orphans until one finally stuck. But the NANOMACHINES/genetic tampering just irritated the hell out of me. Can't Terry just be Terry, and not Bruce Wayne 2.0?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey I just want to say that Megas XLR and Avatar: TLA are the for-real deal and I haven't made it through season 1 of Korra yet but those episode intros/previously-ons are pretty drat great.

Also maybe mention Teen Titans Go since it's still happening and regular Teen Titans is in the OP.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My favorite americanime is that one episode of Dexter's Lab. You know the one.

Megas was the best, a brilliant star too bright for this world

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Megas XLR is soo loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1CgtGOVgs

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

where's archer and steven universe in this?

Gann Jerrod posted:

Keep Beach City Weird is one of the best things to come out of Steven Universe:

quote:

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok, so I just finished the final episode of Koala Princess and I don’t want to get too emotional on you guys but I CAN’T STOP CRYING! Koala Princess goes on a walkabout and enters dreamtime and finally MEETS HER KOALA MOTHER FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! SLKDJFSDJ:FS

I’ve got so many feels! These feels are the real deals! On wheels! WHAT AM I SAYING?! I’M GOING CRAZY!!!

Tags: I WAS TOTALLY NOT READY FOR THIS THIS SHOW IS KILLING ME Koala Princess Koara Princess Keep Beach City Crying

also there's constant tenticle stuff in archer and he also mentioned gundams in an episode, so definitely anime

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

It was, indeed, it was.

For those still unawares, Megas XLR is what happens when the uber-powerful, world-destroying robot is controlled not by the angsty, pretty heroine with something to prove, but rather by the comedy side-kicks. Who proceed to do with it exactly as you would think. Yeah, it pretty awesome.

(Note the big fat dude in the promo image? He is the main character and mecha pilot. No, really. Quite good at it, too.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

what happens when the uber-powerful, world-destroying robot is controlled not by the angsty, pretty heroine with something to prove but...
So, every mecha show ever made except Dancouga Nova?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Megas is the baddest and the raddest. Do we have any idea what the status of that Samurai Jack movie is?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

chumbler posted:

Also Big O.
And Symbionic Titan.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, so after the Korra thread was closed, I suppose this is where we can argue infinitely about The Legend of Korra. :v:

Man, though, Kuvira in LOK Book 4 was awesome. Her fighting style was so goddamn cool.

I also love how she's basically Satsuki Kiryuin - Americanime Version. :allears:

The rest of korra needs to hurry up and be on amazon prime so I can finish it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Now that you mention it, Kuvira's combat movements reminded me a lot like the choreography in Equilibrium. Very fluid but at the same time mechanical and efficient. That show was so well animated-- even though it definitely fell short of the bar set by Aang's avatar series it was still really cool to get more material out of that universe.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ive heard that the 2nd season of Korra wasnt that great, but I just started it and got to the part with Bumi talking to the statue of Ang, hoping he lived up to his father's expectations. I thought that scene was excellent and really powerful.

The civil war stuff and Korra just being kinda dumb lately hasnt been that great though. Not off to the greatest start.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

KoB posted:

Ive heard that the 2nd season of Korra wasnt that great, but I just started it and got to the part with Bumi talking to the statue of Ang, hoping he lived up to his father's expectations. I thought that scene was excellent and really powerful.

The civil war stuff and Korra just being kinda dumb lately hasnt been that great though. Not off to the greatest start.

There are good moments now and then throughout the show, but seasons 1 and 2 were overall rather dumb and boring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

It was, indeed, it was.

For those still unawares, Megas XLR is what happens when the uber-powerful, world-destroying robot is controlled not by the angsty, pretty heroine with something to prove, but rather by the comedy side-kicks. Who proceed to do with it exactly as you would think. Yeah, it pretty awesome.

(Note the big fat dude in the promo image? He is the main character and mecha pilot. No, really. Quite good at it, too.)

It's what happens when all of your combat training comes from video games. DDR mode is the best mode

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Alfred J Kwak was the poo poo when I was like, five or six. The titular character's childhood bully grew up to be Literally Hitler and I can respect any children's cartoon that does that.

Edit: It's more a cartoon animated in Japan than one inspired by anime but whatevs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DrSunshine posted:

I love Kuvira's fighting style. It's really neat. It's reminiscent of another bending style though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is that meant to be a comparison to Earth-bending? I genuinely don't know if that's the comparison you're making because the last episode of Korra I saw ended with her completely catatonic. Now everyone keeps talking about femmeHitler and gay relationships and I'm just completely lost. But it would make sense if there's a similarity to Earth-bending because metal-bending is like a specialty of that or something, I think? In conclusion, I like the pure comedy beats and action beats of Korra but the character development seems to fall flat a lot of the time, and the pacing gets kind of weird. On the other hand, I actually liked the spirit world stuff in the second season so :shrug:

Condiv posted:

where's archer and steven universe in this?
also there's constant tenticle stuff in archer and he also mentioned gundams in an episode, so definitely anime
You're uh, gonna have to explain the Steven Universe thing there. Did they set up an in-character blog on Tumblr like Achewood used to do?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rangpur posted:

Is that meant to be a comparison to Earth-bending? I genuinely don't know if that's the comparison you're making because the last episode of Korra I saw ended with her completely catatonic. Now everyone keeps talking about femmeHitler and gay relationships and I'm just completely lost. But it would make sense if there's a similarity to Earth-bending because metal-bending is like a specialty of that or something, I think? In conclusion, I like the pure comedy beats and action beats of Korra but the character development seems to fall flat a lot of the time, and the pacing gets kind of weird. On the other hand, I actually liked the spirit world stuff in the second season so :shrug:

It's a comparison to the Earthbending from the Movie.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Rangpur posted:

You're uh, gonna have to explain the Steven Universe thing there. Did they set up an in-character blog on Tumblr like Achewood used to do?

ronaldo is a goon in steven universe with a blog called keep beach city weird never saw achewood cause i only watch anime, but it's probably something like that

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The progression in modern animation is hilarious once you realize that early anime was just Japan's Betty Boop and Looney Toons knock-off. There's a reason Tom & Jerry was one of (if not still) the highest rated cartoon(s) ever in Japan. Now, it has come full circle, and everything is ripping from everything else. Look at all of the Marvel anime that has come out over the last few years.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Shinjobi posted:

I think the issue I had was the biological tampering. I actually think it'd be funny if the greatest and most powerful government kept making orphans until one finally stuck. But the NANOMACHINES/genetic tampering just irritated the hell out of me. Can't Terry just be Terry, and not Bruce Wayne 2.0?

The point is that Terry is still Terry, even if he is the son of Bruce Wayne. But there must always be a Batman.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite americanime is that one episode of Dexter's Lab. You know the one.

That episode and the episode where Monkey wrestles Macho Man Randy Savage are two of the greatest things American animation have ever produced.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

The point is that Terry is still Terry, even if he is the son of Bruce Wayne. But there must always be a Batman.

Isn't that episodes entire plot arc about Terry trying to come to terms with how he wants to live his life and he chooses to not emulate Bruce what with Terry proposing to his Girlfriend at the end? The entire point of that episode is Terry is not Bruce and will not make the same choices.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sakurazuka posted:

Season 2 was funded by Cartoon Network but other than that it is.

Don't forget that Big O was made by one of the studios that animated Batman: The Animated Series, and its really obvious how much they were inspired by that show.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So, here's a piece of comedy gold regarding the Avatar franchise's future.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Seychelle Gabriel can read the phone book to me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh hey she's that girl from Falling Skies.

Now I get to imagine Korra wrecking all the aliens' collective shits.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does Kappa Mikey count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Monty Oum died. Tossing it in here because of the RWBY talk at the beginning.

• Locked thread