Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Ahhhhh drat those two yatterman kids! Always foiling my plans to defeat them! Oh I know! Lets commit genocide against the entire human race, that way I'll be sure to beat them! :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, our thread title just took a dark twist.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The last episode really was a mixed bag of really good animation and a lot of reused stuff. I think I even saw some cuts thrice.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It seems like they blew the budget on animation for this episode, but in so doing, found themselves short on some sections - seriously, there are some horrible edits in the episode, and unless that's an issue with the file that Funimation got (the source I'm using), the only way that makes sense is if they had left those bits for last and couldn't afford, or didn't have time, to complete them.

But for the stuff that was original and where the animation made sense? A good episode, I felt, but it feels like the end of a show kinda different from the one we actually got. There's payoff for things that weren't really built up, and others left skimmed over because by the time they actually got to Yatter Metropolis, there just weren't enough episodes left in the series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, this is not how a last episode should be. It should have all the budget, that was a complete mess animation-wise. The Tonzra/Ichirou fight was especially awful, it became really hard to follow, felt like no move had any sort of weight to it and it kept reusing the same cuts over and over. It even used parts of the opening to finish it!

Also as a whole the ending didn't really work for me. Galina and Alouette becoming the new Yatterman was obvious, and I thought it was actually done really well. Alouette recovering her sight when she was forced to see reality was also good, since it follows what we already knew (she became blind to reality, and literally blind due to it). The Yatterman entrance was pretty neat, as was seeing them fight.

My problem is with the actual main characters. They just...go back to a life of having literally nothing, separate from the world. And this is meant to be a happy ending. What the gently caress?

Also the Yatter Twelve Gods ended up amounting to nothing. I thought we'd get more like Goro, but nope, they're all there to be easily destroyed last episode, with only Ichirou getting a cool fight. What was the point?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

So all in all, not nearly as good as something like CROWDS?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Butt Ghost posted:

Pretty much.

Yatterman had some good ideas and could have been a really great show, but the parts never added up and it just kinda fell apart.

It wasn't a bad show, but it could have been a lot better.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Promising start with a decent-ish ending, but brought down by some severe budget influx and tonal issues. Aside of the little cameos at the end of this episode, you could drop the middle episodes mostly without issue, Galina's character development stuff easily transplanted to other stories and situations. Stories and situations that could have shone a greater spotlight on our supposed main trio: One of the payoffs I allude to is, of course, Galina and Alouette becoming the new Yattermen, and whilst its pretty awesome in itself, it doesn't feel like it was really the reward it should have been, looking back. To me, it seems like one should have been so used to Doronbo getting the big dramatic entrances that it actually being Yatterman comes as almost a shock. I dunno, maybe I'm just being weird with my expectations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Butt Ghost posted:

The last episode was a rushed hack job, so it did have something in common.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

you cant just "blow the budget" on the first half of the episode and then not have enough to finish it. anime production doesn't work like that. in fact I doubt the show had any budget issues at all, Tatsunoko just has infamously bad scheduling.

for the last episode some of the animation staff specifically tweeted that they couldn't finish it on time and the BD will have the final version.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Between this and the last episode of Gatchaman, Tatsunoko should really stop relying on Studio Taitanic. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I finally got around to watching the end of this and holy poo poo the last episode.

I've rarely seen animation this bad in any anime ever, there was a show a year or two ago that fell apart in its last episode but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was. Benmashi Cecil episode 11.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 17, 2015

• Locked thread