Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Metal Loaf posted:

It's strange looking at Baywatch from the perspective of someone in 2015. It seems like it was such a big deal in its day, but now it's a relic of the 1990s. There's some series that, their quality or lack thereof notwithstanding, achieve a certain degree of timelessness even when they're products of their time (sticking to the 1990s, I'd put forward The X-Files, Seinfeld, possibly Friends, and even camp-fests like Xena: Warrior Princess), and then there's stuff that made an impact in its day and was a big deal at the time but doesn't seem to retain the same recognition or influence.

Sticking to the 1990s, you look at the series that were consistently nominated for all the big television awards, or had a fairly long run on the small screen. LA Law (which, if Wikipedia is any indication, seemed to dominate the Best Drama Series categories after Hill Street Blues wrapped up), thirtysomething, Picket Fences, NYPD Blue (12 seasons, and I'm pretty sure Dennis Franz must have at least as many awards for playing Sipowicz as James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston won for The Sopranos and Breaking Bad), possibly Homicide: Life On the Street, Chicago Hope, even ER (15 seasons).

Perhaps my reference pool is too small, but they just don't seem to have the same profile to me despite the impact they made.

It's like dropping a stone into a paddling pool; it might make a splash, but if it doesn't spill over the sides and get everywhere, people are less likely to remember it.

:spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin:

Twin Peaks had a pretty big impact but that was early 90s.
It'll be interesting to see which of today's television makes more of an impact than simple nostalgia in 20 years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Homicide holds up pretty well. I'd actually recommend it as good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
the one show that will look silly in 20 years is glee. it won't be baywatch crazy but something like a show in the 70's center aound musical numbers like make'n it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cyron posted:

the one show that will look silly in 20 years is glee. it won't be baywatch crazy but something like a show in the 70's center aound musical numbers like make'n it.

It looks silly now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Ha ha, it probably should have been. I also cut out most of Shauni's subplot where she goes to a bad inner city neighborhood to get the kids she rescued into the swim program. In that case though it was mostly because it was boring.

Honestly, just the one clip we got was enough :)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I feel really bad that hearing the name Shauni doesn't bother me at all, but seeing it written makes me super loath it and want to slap her pretend parents for being idiots. That's not a name, god drat it! It's needs an "e" or a "y" or something.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ronk a Donk posted:

And Todd's got his "Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 2014" out! It's a two-parter. Part 1: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-part-1-7142479

I didn't pay any attention to pop at all this year, holy god at those DJ Mustard songs. I've never heard a producer who makes such samey-sounding songs ever.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cubey posted:

I didn't pay any attention to pop at all this year, holy god at those DJ Mustard songs. I've never heard a producer who makes such samey-sounding songs ever.

His songs also have this stupid trademark at the start which just sounds loving horrible.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Cubey posted:

The only nice thing about Mustard is that you can avoid his songs quickly because they all begin with this weird 2-second ID that sounds like "WAZZITUNNABE,HO" Sorry if that sounds odd, there's no other way to describe it. You can hear it in the first ten seconds or so of all his songs, though. Kinda like the "J-J-J-J-JR" at the top of J.R. Rotem stuff. It's like a handy warning!

Testekill posted:

His songs also have this stupid trademark at the start which just sounds loving horrible.

EDIT: Yes, this. Funny we posted that at the same time. :xd:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not really been watching much of Todd's stuff lately. I have to admit, I've been less engaged with pop music as I would've been a couple of years ago. It's not that there aren't any songs I've enjoyed; it's more that my interests seem to have shifted slightly away from music and chart-watching.

A couple of years ago, when Adele had that massive, 10-week stretch at number one on the albums chart while Gotye and fun. had the number-one songs in America, was when I was really keeping up, going on Billboard and PopJustice almost daily, checking out Paul Grein's Chart Watch blog every week. I think part of why I lost interest was actually because Billboard changed its site layout and I never really got to grips with the new design.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What song was Todd playing at the beginning?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mraagvpeine posted:

What song was Todd playing at the beginning?
'Timber' with Ke$ha and Pitbull

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, Chris Brown is awful. "You remind me of...something." :effort:

Yeah, 2014 was pretty bad.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eh, I'd still say 2013 was worse overall. 2014 might have had lower lows, but there were a lot of songs this year that I really, really liked, whereas 2013 had pretty much none.

Although I don't think 2014 was as good as 2012. Yeah, I know it actually came out in 2011, but it didn't chart in the US until the next year, and everyone knows that's what really counts. :911:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ronk a Donk posted:

And Todd's got his "Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 2014" out! It's a two-parter. Part 1: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-part-1-7142479

Just gonna bring this up from the last thread incase anyone forgot.

DStecks posted:

I am :toxx:ing myself that Shake it Off will be #1 on Todd's poo poo list. It completely fits his past #1 picks, in a specific way that no other song on the list does. Remember that Todd's #1 is never the actual worst song of the year, just the one that most closely fits his bizarre concept of ungood, or lets him make a point about how he feels about the artist. Shake It Off hits both options.

Uh, some bad news there I suppose :ohdear:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would think Wiggle would have that spot, if not in the top 5.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Better get out your wallet, DStecks.

I'm not 100% sure that the 5SOS song has the worst line ever. Pointing out the brand of your girlfriend's undies is pretty bad, but it's not outright offensive like at least one line in, say, that Chris Brown song 'Deuces'. (Speaking of, I wonder if 'Loyal' will show up anywhere? Personally, I hate that song because there is a well-loved Dave Dobbyn song by the same name. I don't even like the DD song all that much, yet it deserves better than having the same name as a Chris Brown song).

Can't wait until Part 2. :allears:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ZakAce posted:

Can't wait until Part 2. :allears:

It's going up later tonight, according to Twitter.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
That Maroon 5 song was utterly ridiculous. Also...it might just have been that I worked in a butcher's once, but I couldn't help noticing that those sides of beef looked really plasticky. Maybe I just didn't want to look at Adam Levine's weird, rippling back. Wait a minute...Adam Levine...Ted Levine...oh nooooooooooooo........

Anyway. After being rather busy with the holidays, and putting up an exhibition, I've finally put out a new episode! Here's my take on Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I didn't mention this in the review, but apparently Sofia Coppola took a lot of inspiration from PAHR when she was making Virgin Suicides. Well, that explains why it's the only film of hers that I thought was any good - because she more-or-less duplicated the mood and atmosphere from another movie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tracula posted:

Just gonna bring this up from the last thread incase anyone forgot.

Uh, some bad news there I suppose :ohdear:

Haha, awesome.

I never liked Maroon 5, myself, thought not for entirely rational reasons. Something about the timbre of Levine's voice literally makes me nauseous, it's like a dog whistle.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 19, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I noticed that Todd got on Yahoo

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ZakAce posted:

Better get out your wallet, DStecks.

I've been wanting a new avatar anyway. In honour of the Toxx, it'll be an allusion to the actual #1 worst song, whatever that is.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

I never liked Maroon 5, myself, thought not for entirely rational reasons. Something about the tenor of Levine's voice literally makes me nauseous, it's like a dog whistle.

I have to agree. "Payphone" and "One More Night" were probably my least favourite hit songs of 2012, because I can't abide the timbre of Adam Levine's voice. Leaving aside the fact that they're both really dull songs, the noises he makes in the opening lines of "Payphone" especially are just flat-out unpleasant to listen to, and the Auto-Tuned yodelling at the start of the latter song isn't much better.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Maroon 5 is either very close to or has surpassed Nickelback in terms of being loving terrible beyond words. M5's last listenable song was in 2003.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I hated them even in the days of She Will Be Loved, which..thankfully was a bit less processed than the latter stuff. But in that song, it wasn't the high shrill bits of the chorus, it was the flat, nasally and awful tone of the verses.
I can see how you'd like them if you had no taste though. They're "catchy." (Catchy, in my mind isn't necessarily a good thing, any more than saying that a song having guitar in it is automatically a good thing. You know what's really catchy? Godawful post-1950 church songs. Those things are so bland and predictable and repetitive they drill their way into your brain and won't leave.)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ZakAce posted:

I'm not 100% sure that the 5SOS song has the worst line ever. Pointing out the brand of your girlfriend's undies is pretty bad, but it's not outright offensive like at least one line in, say, that Chris Brown song 'Deuces'.

Nonono, he's talking about the brand of HIS underwear while she is wearing them. It's a very clumsy-sounding line, although yeah that line in Deuces and HEFTY BAG are probably worse.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Edit: Wrong thread

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 19, 2015

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cubey posted:

Nonono, he's talking about the brand of HIS underwear while she is wearing them. It's a very clumsy-sounding line, although yeah that line in Deuces and HEFTY BAG are probably worse.

I thought that Chris Brown lyric on the next song was worse. For a dumb boy band song, that 5SOS was standard, I expected worse. Anyway, good start so far. I love these lists, though I find myself liking the "Best of" ones more, pop music is mostly terrible, so it's nice to see someone finding some value there (even if we get the ocassional Katy Perry or Flo Rida on the list)

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

It's the ep where Mitch is possessed by a demon! Keep in mind I hadn't even seen Baywatch proper at that point, and the technical quality isn't the best. I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

That was actually the first video by you that I ever watched. Because I remembered that phase my sister and her friends went through where they watched Baywatch obsessively.

Speaking of, I keep linking this show to them so they can stare in slack-jawed horror at what they used to watch.

quote:

He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???)

:aaaaa:

Now it's so much more horrifying.

Miss Wallace posted:

I also cut out most of Shauni's subplot where she goes to a bad inner city neighborhood to get the kids she rescued into the swim program.

Frankly, the way you handled her silly subplot was gold.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finally caught up on all of Baywatching, and I'm somehow still amused by Eddy the Weeny. :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

That Maroon 5 song was utterly ridiculous. Also...it might just have been that I worked in a butcher's once, but I couldn't help noticing that those sides of beef looked really plasticky. Maybe I just didn't want to look at Adam Levine's weird, rippling back. Wait a minute...Adam Levine...Ted Levine...oh nooooooooooooo........

Anyway. After being rather busy with the holidays, and putting up an exhibition, I've finally put out a new episode! Here's my take on Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I didn't mention this in the review, but apparently Sofia Coppola took a lot of inspiration from PAHR when she was making Virgin Suicides. Well, that explains why it's the only film of hers that I thought was any good - because she more-or-less duplicated the mood and atmosphere from another movie.

That was great. Picnic at Hanging Rock has stuck with me for a long time, and I think you've got the reason in the haunting atmosphere and total refusal to resolve anything--not just the disappearances, but how we're to take apparent fixation or romance between students, and how we're to understand what happens to Appleyard. It's like all those shows about unsolved crimes and disappearances: the actual answers are likely very mundane or not at all remarkable, but if you remove just a few pieces of evidence then the stories haunt the popular imagination forever.

Because I saw it at the same time as The Last Wave, I guess I always saw it in a more metaphysical way, like it's telling us that these English people are in a place that is so fundamentally different to them that they can't understand it or live there in the way they're used to--that they're an invasive species that will be killed off by weird magic rocks and nonlinear spacetime until they change themselves rather than imposing English logic on a place with its own rules. I saw that in terms of the supernatural, like Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, where transgression gets us a glimpse of this terrible, indifferent world behind the natural curtain of appearance that nobody can understand or navigate safely.

But your review is great because as somebody who knows Australia you can cut through the bullshit and just explain that the movie can operate just fine on a purely natural level: the English don't respect the place where they live, so its heat and drought kill them. That makes so much sense.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Alacron posted:

Finally caught up on all of Baywatching, and I'm somehow still amused by Eddy the Weeny. :allears:

I'm so amped to get to the Gilligan's Island one you don't even know.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm so amped to get to the Gilligan's Island one you don't even know.

I forgot that this was in Season 2. SO CLOSE!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
14 episodes away!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
When I hear there's a guy called DJ Mustard, I get bummed that Trailer Park Boys isn't really relevant enough among the US audience for people to make Mustard Tiger jokes about him.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

That was great. Picnic at Hanging Rock has stuck with me for a long time, and I think you've got the reason in the haunting atmosphere and total refusal to resolve anything--not just the disappearances, but how we're to take apparent fixation or romance between students, and how we're to understand what happens to Appleyard. It's like all those shows about unsolved crimes and disappearances: the actual answers are likely very mundane or not at all remarkable, but if you remove just a few pieces of evidence then the stories haunt the popular imagination forever.

Because I saw it at the same time as The Last Wave, I guess I always saw it in a more metaphysical way, like it's telling us that these English people are in a place that is so fundamentally different to them that they can't understand it or live there in the way they're used to--that they're an invasive species that will be killed off by weird magic rocks and nonlinear spacetime until they change themselves rather than imposing English logic on a place with its own rules. I saw that in terms of the supernatural, like Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, where transgression gets us a glimpse of this terrible, indifferent world behind the natural curtain of appearance that nobody can understand or navigate safely.

But your review is great because as somebody who knows Australia you can cut through the bullshit and just explain that the movie can operate just fine on a purely natural level: the English don't respect the place where they live, so its heat and drought kill them. That makes so much sense.

Thanks so much for the feedback! For whatever reason, I put off seeing the movie for a long time, because I thought it would be dry and uninteresting, or no longer relevant (much like no one really rushes out of their way to see My Brilliant Career, or The Man From Snowy River anymore. Well, those films could be quality entertainment, I don't know, but I never felt excited about seeing them out.)

The answer that Joan Lindsay came up with wasn't mundane, but it was ludicrous, and sort of "ruined everything." It's so stupid that I don't even want to mention it here.

Your interpretation sounds perfectly valid to me. In my mind, I think this is a film like Mulholland Drive - it can be interpreted in a number of ways, and I don't think any one of them is necessarily wrong. I find it interesting that it makes Australia into a dangerous place in a way that many other Australian horror/ozsploitation movies differ from. In most of them, the danger is from animals, or from feral and animalistic people. In this, it's the landscape itself. People can use that to their advantage (just read anything about bushrangers), or it can be their downfall (Burke and Wills, all the mountains in Australia called things like Mt.Disappointment or Mt.Warning.)
But yes, for me it simply reminded me of stories that pop up in the news relatively frequently, of people getting completely lost, often dying or disappearing forever. There's even a case of a guy calling for an ambulance, and being asked repeatedly to give his nearest cross-street, even though he was in the middle of the bush. He died. And if you want to think about it as a murder, rather than a disappearance, one of the most famous Australian serial killers operated out of a national park.
And now I'm wondering if there's many Canadian films made about the danger of the landscape and the threat of the wilderness.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Regarding Picnic at Hanging Rock, Hanging Rock is a gorgeous area of Victoria. I mean, it is a phenomenal place to walk around and there's so many native birds and poo poo.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I haven't been there yet. Nor have I been to SA (or Tas, or WA, or NT, or more than the barest scrap of QLD). I'm a Bad Australian. But yes, Australia has some very nice natural areas, which deserve to be explored. Just take your phone and plenty of water and make sure somebody knows where you're going.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-2-7142679

Part two of Todds top ten is up

Infamous Sphere posted:

I haven't been there yet. Nor have I been to SA (or Tas, or WA, or NT, or more than the barest scrap of QLD). I'm a Bad Australian. But yes, Australia has some very nice natural areas, which deserve to be explored. Just take your phone and plenty of water and make sure somebody knows where you're going.

Well, you're certainly missing out. Regional Victoria is gorgeous. Not to mention a couple of places that I've been to like Kondalilla Falls, Fraser Island & Beechworth.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trying to figure out why one of those background guys in that Chris Brown video has a weird cartoon CGI head over his real head.

• Locked thread