Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When the boss is dumb you do dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Puppy Time posted:

No like I understand the reason you'd do guesting stuff for cross-promotion, I'm more confused why it took the really idiotically specific form that it did.

Though I suspect the answer probably boils down to "Doug has stupid ideas and is a goddam control freak."

It worked really well early on so they kept doing it forever because that is the Channel Awesome way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stealing this from the fanart thread:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
should've had the subscriber count drop between panels

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

should've had the subscriber count drop between panels

I'm sitting here wondering how one can host the image, but in the backend have a script call the socialblade API to get the actual subscriber count, and dynamically generate the image on request in real time...

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm reminded of the "just pals" thing that Dan brought up in his Vidme video, a comforting lie perpetuated to allow the higher-ups to exploit content producers. Fans who don't know anything about behind the scenes stuff probably got the impression of camaraderie from all the crossovers and anniversary movies. I know I did, and I feel stupid for getting duped. At least it wasn't a complete lie in situations where Doug wasn't involved.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I feel duped and betrayed over how these people are not actually friends.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

business hammocks posted:

For what it’s worth, that stuff with Michaud criticizing you by leaving up negative comments and expecting you to figure out why is 100% a classic abuse tactic, as is coming at you about it at a weird time when you’re alone and not expecting it. There’s no real way to prepare or protect yourself with poo poo like that because it’s so carefully calibrated to throw you off balance.

I’m sorry you had to endure it. Also for what it’s worth, it’s been such a pleasure watching you branch out and sharpen your unique voice over the past few years. Being public about what’s gone on will definitely help out some people watching this unfold.

I was pretty done with them when he called Lindsay to complain about me, but then when he pulled his "power move" of telling me to basically wait by the phone next Tuesday I was 100% "lol, sure, whatever man" and had pretty much made up my mind about how that conversation was going to go.

Michaud is such a textbook petty tyrant that he should be a clinical case study.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

corn in the bible posted:

They have become content creators who "do not exist"

"Rob, I've already a banshee..."

Arcsquad12 posted:

His star trek crossover with linkara was so bad because Insurrection's development is legitimately fascinating as is its position in the series but Doug just tells Lewis to gently caress off with the nerd poo poo so he can yell some more.

Reminder that Doug's favourite next generation movie is Nemesis.

Nemesis.

nine-gear crow posted:

And having read Fade In by Michael Piller the year prior, that was the point where I shut the video off and tabbed over to SFDebris instead.

I'm morbidly curious in wanting to watch that video to see what Doug says about Nemesis. I remember the only one of those I watched at the time was the Insurrection one where Linkara joined in, and the one thing about that I remember was that Linkara talked about some minor Star Trek lore/context stuff and, and Doug acts like he's being tortured.

I don't know anything about Piller's Fade In, other than that it published posthumously, and I think SFDebris mentioned it in his review of Insurrection.

corn in the bible posted:

Because their website design was pretty bad and if you weren't Doug Walker or Noah Antweiler then your videos were hidden behind, like, three separate clicks. So some people were essentially invisible except for when they showed up in a video and then suddenly people actually knew who they were. It's good business for the site if people watch everyone's videos instead of just one person's, so crossovers are a way to do promotion without having to detract from the big egos on the front page.

Plus people like having fun and working with eachother so they did them at cons a lot

Arcsquad12 posted:

The idea if a crossover isn't bad in the slightest. It comes down to execution. Compare a Doug written crossover to any of Brad, Phelan and Allison's crossovers. There's a sense of genuineness about them because they're just being themselves rather than contorting into a foil for Doug's nonsense. Phelan's Ali Baba video with Harry Partridge is wonderful because of how much they rip into the nonsense of crossover scripts.

I remember a long time ago, someone described Channel Awesome/TGWTG as just being a glorified web ring.

Actually, speaking of crossovers, I was trying to find the one Lupa and Doug did on A Talking Cat (I had an idea for a video based on one of bits from it), but I can't even find a mirror/reupload of it. Is it considered stricken from record?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know anything about Piller's Fade In, other than that it published posthumously, and I think SFDebris mentioned it in his review of Insurrection.

Basically, it was a long, detailed book that Piller was writing during the writing of Insurrection specifically in order to let people new to the industry see what the experience of putting together the screenplay for a major film was like from start to finish; not just the vague impressions and partial descriptions you normally get, but the full picture of the entire process at every stage of development from initial outline to final draft. However, permission to actually publish it was pulled for unstated reasons. From Piller himself:

quote:

Let me clarify this and make it very clear. With the approval of Viacom Consumer Licensing and Pocket Books, I wrote a book during the writing of Star Trek: Insurrection which was meant to be a text book for screenwriters. My pitch to the publisher was to take the reader through the entire process of the development of the film, starting with the idea and showing how changes, problems, opinions, studio requests, financial considerations, would effect the final product. And, in essence, to see if the reader would make the same decisions that Rick and I made as the script evolved. The book was by no means critical, nor did it burn any bridges, it just showed an insight into the behind-the-scenes of making a Star Trek movie that had never been told before. For reasons I won't go into here, decisions were made at a very high level not to publish the book, which was greatly disappointing to me. However, it does not reflect any dissatisfaction that I had with the final product. I think Star Trek: Insurrection holds its own when compared to other Star Trek movies. The goals of this particular film were quite different from the ones that preceded it. And for the most part, we met those goals.

It still was never actually officially published (though his wife said a couple years ago that something's in the works), but a partial draft was accidentally posted briefly on TrekCore (one of the big Trek fansites) back in 2010 because of a miscommunication where the site thought that was why it was sent to them, until his family asked them to take it down. So it's out there now in part, but the full finished book's still not released.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, speaking of crossovers, I was trying to find the one Lupa and Doug did on A Talking Cat (I had an idea for a video based on one of bits from it), but I can't even find a mirror/reupload of it. Is it considered stricken from record?

I removed the video and would prefer no one reupload it, as I've been taking down copies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

I removed the video and would prefer no one reupload it, as I've been taking down copies.

I mourn the loss of your doofy "A TAWKING CAWT?!!!!!?!" line from that video... and basically nothing else. Well, maybe that and the bit where you explain how borderline scam artist-y David DeCoteau is with his production grindhouse, rotating pseudonyms and his oddball Netflix distribution deal. I learned that from the video too.

Because I bet Doug didn't know anything or give a poo poo about DeCoteau beyond the surface level stuff going into the review...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m still shocked the Moulin Rouge episode was popular. I always found the skits terribly amateurish, and Doug couldn’t even turn that aspect of them into something charming. So an episode that was an extra-long version of that with bad singing is uh...woof.

But I also found it baffling that anyone would want to watch those anniversary specials.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m still shocked the Moulin Rouge episode was popular. I always found the skits terribly amateurish, and Doug couldn’t even turn that aspect of them into something charming. So an episode that was an extra-long version of that with bad singing is uh...woof.

But I also found it baffling that anyone would want to watch those anniversary specials.
It helps that Brentalfloss is legitimately pretty charming.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Miss Wallace posted:

Understood. I was just trying to search for it last night, but couldn't find it anywhere, and I figured that was the case. I did notice the Simon Sez video in the results, but I'm guessing that's a video of Doug's.

The bit I was thinking of where Doug's going ":downs:I'm Duffy!" and you say something along the lines of ":nallears: Yeah, we really don't need your help. You can leave now".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Perhaps the most tragic loss from the blip era is the video where Brad Jones reviewed a Guys Gone Wild video

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Miss Wallace posted:

The same day I decided to follow you on Twitter I find out you’re here on SA. Crazy world.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The recent CA stuff finally made me bite the bullet and become a Patron to some people, I'm not in a great position financially but it feels like Lupa/Movienights, Lindsey, Todd (and others) finally deserve some of my cash for the tons of entertainment.

If baywatching ever becomes a full time gig I'd be willing to pay much more for that btw; it's probably my favorite youtube "show" going on in the last few years. :shepface:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stealing this from the fanart thread:

James Rolfe really let himself go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pants Donkey posted:

All I remember from that crossover is Lindsey calling out he slut-shaming at the end.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I came in here to see how the CA implosion was doing, and then learn that Horror Guru and Count Jackula are brutally insane pieces of poo poo as well? Ugh. Well, best to know now. Consider them unsubscribed.

What are you talking about? I've never heard anything about Jackula or Horror Guru being insane or pieces of poo poo? Gonna need some elaboration on that one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Jackula is a full gamergater chud and possibly mentally unhinged.

Like his chudness managed to get him booted from CA. That should be all you need to know.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Like his chudness managed to get him booted from CA. That should be all you need to know.

Jackula once explained that his Christian upbringing messed him up, but I didn't think it would mess him up to this extent. Such a shame, Horror Guru really did have some awesome bits about horror movies I like. Oh well.

Another, another spicy take from Doug Doug Cinnabon Chug in that freaking A.I. review: the whole subplot was about a TMZ audience that had Doug himself pretending to be a voice of reason, even to the point of doing a 'what fool these mortals be' bit where he claims faux superiority over people who DARE didn't get that we should judge movies on intent rather than result. Hearing that he thinks Nemesis is a good Trek film makes that whole episode even funnier/cringer in hindsight. Nothing is more annoying than a stupid person thinking they're smart. Of course, we're also talking about someone who calls themselves a Nostalgia Critic as if nostalgia is something that is possible of criticism...even the name makes little sense the more you dig into it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

That last part can’t be stressed enough: Count Jackula was too much of a crazy rear end in a top hat for Mike Michaud, the King of Crazy Assholes.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Lorax episode. Namely the sketches with Demo Reel people as soulless corporate black suits. With a spiel that became a gifset on tumblr as being aspirational. A few weeks after the episode where NC returns.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mars4523 posted:

It helps that Brentalfloss is legitimately pretty charming.

I found him pretty annoying and unlikable in that video. It's been a while, so I don't quite remember why...

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Jackula talks a bit about Gamergate in this video that he posted recently about the CA situation. He specifically denies being a part of gamergate, calling it an “angry mob”, but he does say he paid attention to them at first so he could try to figure out what they wanted. He also blames the political polarization GG caused for a lot of friction among the content producers.

He comes across as rather bitter and angry in the video, but if what he’s saying about people turning their backs on him is true, he kind of has a right to be. Then again, there are two sides to every story and I only have his word to go on, so there’s no telling whether anything he says is true or not.

I’ve never seen any of the Horror Guru’s videos. What has he been accused of doing?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Gamergate turned a lot of people into arseholes.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Andrew Verse posted:

Was it perhaps this video by Good Bad Flicks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkmHSzUIHQ

Sure enough! Thanks.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Suggestion for a re-cut, all of which include editing out Doug:

1) Just a 15 minute loop of you slamming down the VCR and jamming the A Talking Cat dvd in.
2) The review, but have Phelan overlay OldMan on top of Doug, and replace all of Doug's dialog with "EEEeeeEEeeEeeeEEeeeeEEeeeEEeeeeeeeEEEeeE"
3) The review, with the audio muted. All dialog is replaced with random public-domain sound clips from early 1900s Scandinavian radio dramas. Then send it to Brad to subtitle it.
4) The review, except instead of a scripted review it's a Movie Nights episode, and instead of the original dialog it's your own dialog, and instead of A Talking Cat it's literally any other movie you want to do. Also, change the title of the episode.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

To my knowledge, Jackula wasn't booted for his political views, he was planning on leaving for a while and he just so happened to leave the day after his Twitter rant about PewDiePie. As for Horror Guru, basically he seemed to agree with Jack's dumb bullshit to some extent, that's all I know. I've got no specifics outside of Jack's rant about them being the only two CA producers at that time supporting PewDiePie after he was fired by Disney.

Also I vaguely recall hearing something about Jack going onto Nash's show and fighting with Nash's girlfriend or something?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

lornekates posted:

Suggestion for a re-cut, all of which include editing out Doug:

1) Just a 15 minute loop of you slamming down the VCR and jamming the A Talking Cat dvd in.
2) The review, but have Phelan overlay OldMan on top of Doug, and replace all of Doug's dialog with "EEEeeeEEeeEeeeEEeeeeEEeeeEEeeeeeeeEEEeeE"

Find a way to combine these two.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mokinokaro posted:

Find a way to combine these two.

Go full YTP and have the VCR replace Dugg. Slamming the tape in is how it talks.

A Talking VCR!!?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Playstation 4 posted:

Go full YTP and have the VCR replace Dugg. Slamming the tape in is how it talks.

A Talking VCR!!?

Nah, just replace all of Doug's lines with random bits of him screaming and firing a gun. That's essentially the essence of NC right there, so why not?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Can someone tell me where WHY DO PEOPLE WATCH MOVIES is from?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Dugglas drew it in the one lucid minute his life has ever had.

It was short and tragic.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Uh... huh?

Caveat: I haven't really watched either HorrorGuru or Count Jackula's videos since they switched to full vlog over scripted reviews, but...

Jackula: As was mentioned, he isn't a gatorade. I can't speak for any mental state, especially not based off an online persona of "a vampire from the planet Dracula stuck on Earth reviewing bad movies for Satan". Like, there's an entire Lot's Wife of salt there to take with any assessment. From what he put forth, he is a full-blown Satanist, in the vein of "Church of Satan", as opposed to "eat babies". If you don't know the difference, look into it, it's quite fascinating. He's made clear his views on Christianity, summed up as "I was hosed over by it's hateful followers every step of my life". Being a half-Asian "weird kid" in a small town-- you can imagine.

Like Dan, I long ago unfollowed him from Twitter. His content was mostly good, but he would retweet nudes and straight-up porn (both drawn and real) several times a day. Like, I get it-- sex positive, sexually liberated. Terrific. And I also get the followers / group of fans he's cultivating leans heavily into the "sex & horror films gently caress YEAH" crowd. But retweeting NSFW on an account that's otherwise SFW-- it instantly self-selects the people who CAN follow you. Even if I wanted to see all the tiddies and ding-dongs, my employer doesn't.

His scripted videos were quite good. Excellent screen presence, good comedic timing, nice insights into the movies at hand. If you're interested, I would suggest watching one or both of "Targets" (which has some excellent 'some rear end in a top hat' points to make), or I Spit On Your Grave (originally billed as the first part of misogyny in horror). If one or both of those don't strike your fancy, then you can safely never watch any of his stuff again, because you've gotten the sampler platter.

Horror Guru: Presents his love of horror films in a big, dumb, enthusiastic way. Very much in the "this movie is gory and fun and I enjoyed the gently caress out of it" attitude. Self-admittedly gets into some Twitter arguments when he should be sleeping, so there are the occasional not-completely-thought-out ideas presented, but that are still more reasonable than your average chud's brain-farts. Like Jackula, has switched only to vlogs. Tends to be a bit centrist-leaning-left, with the "it'd be great if we could all get alone and there was more positivity in the world-- but people who dedicate their lives to hate & violence & bigotry & fascism-- those people can get hosed with a cactus". To give you an idea, he ofter retweets Boogie. I'd almost say that while Boogie's centrist opinions come off as naive and non-confrontational, HorrorGuru's come off more optimistic and encouraging people to be better.

I think the best example of his attitude would be when EL James did that (really stupid and poorly planned) Q&A on Twitter, and it turned out exactly like it did. That morning:

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorGuru/status/615721544174583808

quote:

Good to know online harassment is perfectly acceptable if you happen to not like an author's book. Lots of hypocrisy in my feed today.

... some tweets to him ranging from "it's okay to criticize her for her normalization of abuse" to "gently caress her and her book"

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorGuru/status/615723073266806785

quote:

Don't bother defending it, people. It's bullshit and I really don't care for your defenses.

and 20 minutes later:

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorGuru/status/615728431859286016

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorGuru/status/615728535878012929

quote:

'Eh. I let my anger get the better of me here. My apologies for harshly dismissing all your tweets.

That being said, it's clear we're not going to see eye to eye on this. At all. So I'll just leave it at that. Already said my peace. (sic)

(plus another I can't find along the lines of "I agree criticizing the work and the author are fine. But it's clear the Q&A was for fans of the book. The time to do it isn't in the middle of a fan event.")

Which is, honestly, a fair stance to take. There was a lot of hate, vitriol and attacks in the Q&A-- and it was in the middle of many people speaking out and condemning online harassment. I would agree with the "fan event" thing if it had been a live event and people crashed it to shout at her. But since this is Twitter, a "public place" effectively, having people on the sidelines doing the equivalent of protesting-- though I'm sure it made management of the event harder for the intern forced to read the hashtag-- it wasn't the same.

There you go, that's the overview of Count Jackula and Horror Guru beyond "they are two chuds".

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Nah, just replace all of Doug's lines with random bits of him screaming and firing a gun. That's essentially the essence of NC right there, so why not?

I thought we were trying to a) remove Dhug and b) make the video watchable. :/

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

lornekates posted:

I thought we were trying to a) remove Dhug and b) make the video watchable. :/

See this guy gets it, do A Talking VCR!!?

I mean, not really, it'd be a lot of effort to revive a review tainted by Dhugscript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would really enjoy a full deep dive into de Coteau and his bizarre oeuvre some day. It feels like A Talking Cat got most of the attention for being so outwardly bizarre, but it’s really just the tip of the iceberg. The guy became a millionaire making dozens of Cinemax-in-the-90s-style softcore gay horror/sci-fi “erotica” straight-to-video films, but in the age of streaming internet video. And there’s always a mid-30s sexy lady on the cover. There has to be a story there.

• Locked thread