Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

Deishu considered his options. The frog people, or lizard people, they were...pretty strange, were acting like a standard crowd for a fight. They wanted a show, a spectacle. He'd already made a grand entrance after all. Deishu had promised them a spectacle, if he were to just defeat this Slor out of hand (which he could do) right here then they would be angered. It fed off of the crowd, and it could even affect him, which meant Deishu had to play smart.

So Deishu let it last out with its tail, and dodged at the last moment to make it as close as he could. He let go of the demon and jumped back as the crowd cheered, their favourite contender back in the fight. Deishu circled the creature slowly waiting for it to strike, and again let it almost but not quite get a hit in, striking the tail aside at the last moment. The next time it struck however, Deishu permitted himself to react a little faster to Slor, this time properly parrying the blow but letting himself be pushed backwards a bit. It was all about playing the crowd.

Deishu was almost caught unaware when the demon Slor suddenly spat out a gob of acidic poison at him, dodging to the side inelegantly as the crowd cheered. He felt his reflexes become a little sluggish as the fight began to turn against him, knowing that it would be costly if Deishu let this continue. The Dragon needed to appear to struggle, but did not actually want to make the fight worse. Gathering his chakra in his fight, he leapt to the ceiling as another gob of acid burst from its mouth, catching and killing an unsuspecting member of the crowd. It paused for a moment, surprised by both the death of one of their own and because of Slor's opponent unexpectedly leaping to the roof of the great cavern. But Slor had always been a capricious deity and they waited to see what would happen next.

Standing upside down on the ceiling of the roof, Deishu knocked out and cast down six stalactite from the ceiling. Three struck nearby and startled the great beast, who was unsure what to make of the strange creature now out of reach. While one nearly struck the crowd, it remained just within the makeshift area and the crowd jeered at Deishu. He then let the chakra out of his feet and landed elegantly on one of the great stalactites, shattering it before he jumped out of the way and grabbed two others. Using the long slivers of rocks as make shift poles, he span them quickly as Slor shot another gob of acid. The stalactites were worn away a bit, but they would stand another spit or two. Meanwhile the crowd was surprised and cheered for Deishu for the first time, although it quickly realised what it was doing and shifted its support back to Slor.

Deishu then span and kicked the two damaged stalactites at the beast as Slor charged, screaming wild and mad fury at the small creature challenging him. The rocks did not do obvious damage, but did daze the creature slightly and it slid to the end of its charge recoiling for a second before it turned around.The crowd cheered for the mad fury of their god. After a second of wildly looking for its prey, it charged again. This time Deishu decided to jump over the creature and leapt off of its back as it passed underneath in its charge. When the crowd cheered, their cheered for Deishu who landed in a graceful pose. As he assumed the stance of the slinking tiger he felt the fight was about even. Not the fight against Slor, but the fight to win over the crowd, the real challenge.

This time Deishu went on the offensive. A short burst, a flurry of blows a number of which he made appear to be deflected or dodged, and some that he left open enough that Slor could. He landed a few strikes only, blows that would sting but had yet to truly do any real lasting damage to the creature. The beast span wildly, trying to bash the Dragon with the flat of its long and large face but he slid underneath the movement along the ground. Then again he struck at the beast, this time with more strikes landing on the creature. The beast stomped on the ground, causing Deishu to stumble back a step before leaping backward to regain its footing. When it tried to charge a third time, he picked up the fourth stalactite and counter charged the beast. As he got near to Slor, he weaved to the side and ground the stone protrusion in his hand along the side of the beast leaving a nasty graze that oozed foul smelling green-brown ichorous blood.

When Slor finished its charge it paused to catch its breath and to decide what to do next. Deishu had alighted the fifth and final remaining stalactite on the ground and waited for it to charge. When it instead spat acid, he jumped easily out of the way as the crowd jeered for a moment. Then he gathered himself, standing near enough to Slor to land a finishing strike. But Deishu paused, to check the pulse of the crowd, and to determine if he had managed to win their favour and permission to finish off Slor. Or if he needed to drag out the fight longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor - The Tower Lands

Hyalophor blinks and furrows his brow. Well then! Rude, very rude. He glances down at the whip and makes a Tch sound.

"Trophies don't speak unless spoken to. Of course they knew."

He shakes his head slowly. Well, nothing for it. And no point wasting time in this dust bowl. Time to move on.

Looting anything worth taking from the camp in terms of meat and water, and then taking to the sky to survey the surroundings and spot runners to snatch up.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Jacob - Shunt Point - Before the Eye

I am Communist posted:

The eye paused for a moment. “It talks.” Murmured to itself. “It talks but doesn't screams. It detaches parts.” The eye focused in deep and close to Jacob. All menace evaporated. For the moment. “Can the angel-parts help us get out?! Answer this and I will tell you what I know.”
You have its undivided attention. This is a critical juncture.

"Without doubt. Always remember though: some things take time,"

he raises his hand to his face, displaying his wrist,

"and Ever-ee-thing has a price."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Pablo - Scavenger Lands - Before the Dancer

quote:

Pablo searched and searched the piles, seemingly garbage to him. Valuable garbage to the scavengers. It wasn't until he walked through the 5th monstrous pile that he found the pink statue. It was about 5 feet high and had the form of a dancer. To his own calculations though, it was a vortex of magical potential. An inscription on the bottom read: Speak friend and know my secrets

Interesting, he had as part of his misspent middle age of learning magic learned a lot about places like this this. Generally, they were either built by extremely old civilizations, magical architecture not being a very popular profession in his day and age due to the intrinsic problems that occur when you have an area saturated with magical energies beyond the mere mundane factors of stress and strain, or they were an area where very powerful magic had taken place. The question to him right now as 'how did this end up here?'

He decided that, well, he wasn't getting anywhere with this aimless wandering so far and this was the first actual magical artifact he had found, so he would chance it.

"Bongiorno." He said to the statue. "I am a searcher for answers I cannot find, can you assist me, madam?"

He felt, this was perhaps a little silly, but politeness should account for something surely?

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

"Tell me your story,"

He lets his hand drop back to his side.

"and I'll tell you the price."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc
A look of pure unadorned joy filled the faces of each of the druids, the pain of the past gone in a flurry of pleasure button pushing bliss. Davos could sense something...green getting more and more distant. A snort and then nothing. No matter, the Druids were bowing and scraping now. As it should be and would be at least until the effects wore off.

The Druids will play even more nicely now, which is good because your militants were going to abuse them at any signs of disobedient pain.

Kan Deishu - Kell

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQ2a-K1QRo&t=18s
The reds in the crowd began to cheer mightily for Deishu and the dark ones were solemn with respect. The reds began to chant for the dragon now: "Strange one! Strange one! Strange one!" Deishu felt a surge of energy suddenly as the Slor crooned in anger, its shoulders slumping ever so imperceivably. The blues seemed torn about who to cheer for while the bright greens and Grays still cheered on: "Slor! Slor! Slor!" The undergod beast charged headon, heedless and out for blood!

Its working!

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nqB0Fg3dk
Hyalophor begins to gain on the fleeing groups of blood-tribesmen, there were two big groups and one small one with a few individuals scattered about. Hyalophor's shadow haunted them even now, the moaning and screaming of the whip spurring them on to run heedlessly into the dark night!

You can catch up to one group at a time or choose to hunt down the individuals before finding other prey time wise. It can all be done in an evening and roughly at minimal cost.

A clue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgHCM68KkPY&t=109s
The statue hummed. "Speak, "Friend". And know my secrets." Pablo could feel something of a playful oracle in the numbers surrounding this object...

The inscription is quite literal.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVe26GWxW9k&t=24s
"Very well meat machine. Once we were great and powerful, machines pure. We almost ruled an entire world, but the magicians there fought us. In the end we met doom as did they, only we survived. Now we are trapped here in fast-time while the world outside slowly marches on. It took you 57 years to cross the threshold by our internal chronometers. Not an instant will have passed after you die of old age here. Anything falling into the crevasse we have used for parts." As the machine says this several skeletal machines race over to your fallen hand. A drilling sound happens as one of them bores into it. Lights begin to light up on its frame. "Ah, power is also at a premium here, organics produce it cheaply but it does not lasssssst." The eye looks at you hungrily again. "Tell us how to get out. One cannot pass the threshold once within. We know, we have pushed. Watched them disintegrate because of temporal differences...."

A story told. Your hand has been collected, the price YOU have paid...

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Oh, it's one of those riddles. It seems to be in the common tongue so...

"Friend"

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Gwendolyn - Eysha, the Aftermath

"Huh."

It was a simple statement with some sense of disbelief, made while Gwendolyn swatted at the children around her in broad swings. She made no real effort to hold back her blows, sending them flying to and fro. In a more civilized world, such a thing would have been absurd, but it appeared as if the villagers were afraid of the children. Was the baby she had rescued that way as well? If so, what a curious decision the mother made.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled, sitting among the trees while the druids waited on him hand and foot. This was how things should be, how he would make them. He had almost charged off into the Bull’s court, just tried to take them all at once. No, he probably could he realized, power flowed through him in ways he’d never experienced before. His training really had paid dividends, not something he was expecting after first arriving. The old him certainly wouldn’t have been able to cause such radical changes. He looks up at the former bandit captain, and saw fierce eyes filled with intense devotion look back before the captain reflexively bowed his head when he realized his Master was looking at him. Yes, he could definitely get used to this.

No, while he could no doubt charge into the Bull’s stronghold and succeed, there was no fun in that. No, he would take this slowly, drawing out and enslaving the bandit king’s lieutenants one by one, until the time came to take the Bull, a more than suitable trophy. However to do that he needed information. With but a gesture the militant stood before him at attention. Davos examined him closely, noting his intense steel blue eyes, the oft broken nose, and the dueling scars before finally settling on a tribal tattoo of a bear encircled by a serpent located on his bicep. That would do nicely.

“Your name is now Bear. You will accept no other unless I grant it. You shall serve as my right hand, my lieutenant. Do not fail me.”

As he speaks, he reached out with his telepathy and touched the man’s mind, there was no resistance now, but Davos was not satisfied. He applied himself, weaving himself deeper and deeper into Bear's mind. He turned his power on Bear’s mind, for the mind controlled the body on many levels. He attempted to use what he had learned of that connection between mind and body at the Tower to cause Bear’s body to become stronger, hardier. Next, he poured knowledge into the man’s mind, hypnotic techniques even a regular mortal could use, ways to pitch the voice, the movements to make, the words to say. Then, weaving himself deeper into Bear’s mind, attempting to create a bond between him, to sensitize his mind to Davos’ thought, so that he could communicate his will to Bear even remotely. Lastly and most importantly, he weaved himself into every corner, every nook and every cranny of the one-time bandit’s mind. Even more than the others he wanted to own Bear utterly and completely, to ensure that no one or no thing could ever cause the man to stop being his. Even more than before Davos would be Bear’s entire world, his only truth, the sole source of morality and ethics, service and devotion the air he breathed.

Davos would make the man his masterpiece, sparing no effort, no energy in the quest to make the man his most loyal and useful servant.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha, Aftermath

The Sentinel breathed easier, a sharp exhale punctuating the spike being ripped out of his shoulder so that his wounds could finish closing.

He raised the Mayor to his feet gently, lowering his cowl to speak to the Mayor. A gesture of humanity, and kinship, would hopefully help.

"Your honor," he says softly. "I do, once again, offer my regret and my apologies for my earlier rashness. I implore you, I would know more of this curse that has been laid upon your children, that I might break it. I offer you my services, as both a warrior and a man of science, until you see fit that I have paid my penance for my acts. But I beseech you, Mayor, that you permit me to assist you."

The Sentinel is attempting to convince the Mayor to let him help, and is trying to offer his apologies and sincere regret for his earlier actions.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

He can still feel his hand. The penetrating metals and lights feel disturbingly and delightfully unnatural. He maintains a face and tone of gravitas, though within he feels giddy.

"I've opened with the gift of flesh. Your elders are made of metal entire? Let one be brought forth, and let its most vital metal be spilled. With it, and blood, we will make an eternal Covenant. You and yours will swear loyalty to God, through me its Avatar. A loyalty that will last through the turning years until the skies fall, and the sun burns red, and the winds carry nothing but dust. And to seal it, the exchange of flesh. I've given you my hand to incorporate into your flesh. And you will give me hand, of black iron and indomitable will just as you are, and incorporate it into mine. Swear loyalty and get loyalty. Swear obedience, and get freedom."

Swear nothing, and become nothing, he thinks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob tries to make it so that they take his orders after they're let out, maybe transferring the mark of Yig to each of them. He also asks for a new hand.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The dancer sighs happily and begins to speak, "I am an oracle, I can give you direction. That is however if you show me affection." A rhyming statue. Of a dancer. Of course! Pablo can feel that her magic is "right" no tricks, but drat if this wasn't odd.

Put a tip in the lady's Jar. Insert coin points.

Gwendolyn - Eysha, the Aftermath

The children knock Gwendolyn down, they're quite strong! They begin trying to tear her apart and banging on her with little to no success. They soon try to bury her in dirt and sand. Very very strong in a group.

There's a few ways to fix this. One is free. The others cost a point, depending on what you would like to do. You can PM or email me for the costs?

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

The process was over in mere moments, even if a lifetime had occured in the man's head. Bear smiles wickedly. "Yes, Master. With pleasure." Davos could feel the minor mental link take hold, he could communicate with Bear anywhere in a short five word sentence. Bear while not a martial mastermind, would be clever and deadly using all the tricks Davos had given him. He would shrug off pain and torture and the limits on his body set by his mind were no more. The strength of a gorilla and the body of a man he knelt before Davos before growling to the Druids and other Bandits, "KNEEL! KNEEL BEFORE DAVOS!"

It was frightening in its intensity and they all obeyed without missing a beat.

Bear has now entered the equation!

The mayor gawked at The Sentinel. "Of course you can help! But shouldn't you be helping your friend and the other children!??" The melee with Gwnedolyn was ongoing and destroying what was left of the town.

You can help. Definitely since its not even over for the town.

"Wrong! Your cast off parts were not valuable to you! I rule here, we use the parts because there is no more metal. What a sorry state to use organics as bodies and parts. Oil and mecha. The true machine. I care not for this god for we know none exist. Angels make for good parts." The eye was losing interest and doesn't believe Jacob. "If you want metal parts in exchange for getting us out or eliminating the temporal hold on this land, we can craft you them aplenty when we get out. When we get the materialssssssss." It finishes as it sparks. Several large machines suddenly press in, as if sensing that Jacob was losing the negotiation to be made into parts for the rest.

They're willing to deal. You're not going to be their king but they're willing to trade services or the metal hand for you. This is a negotiation though so you can counter the offer as well. You can also like we discussed in email perhaps work something magically as a backdoor or "booby trap".

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor hisses. "Shut up, or I'll shut you up," he admonishes the whip. A roll of the eyes; ugh, his luck that his new trophy would be more annoying dead than alive.

On shimmering wings, one by one, he swoops down to carry runners off into the sky. To each, he asks one question; "Where are the Scavenger Lands?"

Failure to answer results in a long drop.

Interrogating the fleeing tribe. Unsatisfying answers get an express ticket to the ground.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 13, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled approvingly at Bear, this was what he had wanted. Now, to use this new servant. “Bear, I intended to one by one enslave the Bull’s lieutenants, his court, and in the end enslave the Bull himself. Tell me everything of note you remember about them, any weaknesses they have that I might exploit.”

He reached out with his mind, touching Bear’s mind, he found it did not merely fail to resist, rather it welcomed his presence. Using his power Davos attempted to assist Bear in recalling anything that might be of use to him, things that would normally be impossible to recall, a snippit of conversation from a noisy room, a letter seen for an instant out of the corner of his eye, every detail at his disposal so that he might present a report to Davos.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Sentinel offered a silent nod, hoisting another bag of charms and rushing to Gwen's position, where the crowd of children massed atop her, attempting to crush her and bury her in the dirt.

Silence would be his ally here, masking his approach as he ran up to the group. He slit the bag open, vaulting into the air and flinging handful after handful of the charms at the curse's victims, making sure to hit each one with at least one of the charms.

Touching down, the jangling of the charms in the bag his only sound made, he exhaled softly, and set to work extricating Gwen from the pile of softly-sleeping, temporarily de-cursed children and mounds of sand.

TastyLemonDrops, are you still with us?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan;Mystery Temple

Beings powerful enough to give himself pause would destroy his...proteges in an instant. If he could spare some time to re-set some traps, rearrange things, generally slow them down while educating them, he could probably buy himself some time to investigate the situation ahead. Nothing necessarily lethal unless they were blind and stupid, but if they were unwary then they would get roughed up for certain. Also, Justin had to be cursed with the loss of speech. Humility is a hard thing for a soft noble to learn.

With the Dungeon set up to his liking the old adventurer crept along to try and overhear these powerful foes.

Just 1- setting up some puzzles and backtracking missions to make them take longer to catch up, 2 - Cursing Justin to lose his speech until he learns some humility. and 3- Adventure-Sneaking toward these powerful dudes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

He could feel Slor weakening as his support left him. If he could win away Slor's support, then he would have a better chance of purifying the demon...if he could figure out how he was meant to do that. But just beating it down clearly seemed like the wrong choice. If Deishu used force to defeat him, it would reinforce a cycle of violence and might makes right. Was this what the Masters had meant when they said; "By all the previous Incarnations, Kan Deishu , there are times where force cannot prevail. A fight won by might alone is a battle lost. A just heart and a compassionate soul are all that can truly triumph over evil."

Then Slor tried to slam into his side and Deishu blocked at the last moment, his leathery skin grazing as he pushed himself swiftly away from the charging beast. Now was not the time for philosophy! He had a fight to win, or rather, a crowd to win over! Deishu needed to be creative, relying on the same tricks would not appeal to the sceptics. As Slor finished its charge and skidded to a halt, preparing to charge again, Deishu changed stance and took a deep breath. He centred himself, placing his weight in his lower legs, in his gut and in his forearms. The Raging Bison was a form that had been invented by crude northern warriors, more grappling and throws than actual martial arts originally. The form had not actually had a formal style until Deishu had devised one. Slor turned and began his next charge, and Deishu placed his feet on the ground. As the demon beast charge, he sidestepped slightly and when it got near he grabbed it. Using the beast's momentum he lifted it off the ground slightly, spun and slammed it into the ground. Dust and dirt rose up around them, and Deishu leapt backwards. The throw would have hurt, but not cause any serious harm. It was however fairly humiliating to Slor, and Deishu hoped that lifting the beast up would impress the crowd.

While the demon got back up Deishu prepared his own charge, doing a running shoulder tackle and knocking the beast backwards. Again it was enough to bruise, and maybe break a bone in a weaker person or creature, but it wouldn't harm Slor physically. The creature roared in frustration and pain, mindless in its fury. It had always been able to win and trample anything that stood up to it. Now there was this green upstart, like one of its minions, that dared to challenge it...and might win. It began to know fear. Looking around for an exit, it began to charge away. Deishu however had been awaiting this possibility. He leapt up and over the beast, startling Slor and tripping it quickly. It fell onto its side and skidded, sliding to a stop right in front of the crowd. Deishu waited to see if Slor would get up again, and if so what it would do. He had not seriously hurt the creature beyond a lot of bruising, and tiring it out, but now that it might feel trapped it could potentially react unpredictably.

Trying to weaken Slor further by winning over the rest of the crowd.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-m0ehT3_mo
The whip whimpers wimpily. It goes silent. As each man or woman is dropped for one reason or another, it isn't until the last one that he gets directions to the Scavenger Lands. "It is a land of garbage and a dumping ground over the centuries, supposedly there is some ruin of a great civilization there but no one knows since its buried and please don't drop kill me ok I justwantotliveandIdon'twanttodieandpleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase!"
Casually, Hyalophor toys with dropping this one. The game goes on for a while before a decision has to be made. Drop this one? Or go after the rest. The screaming and yelling of the other bigger groups was starting to get distant.

You now know where the scavanger lands are, do you drop the man who answered you and go after the rest? Or do you take the time to gently take him to the ground. Potentially losing your other prey...

The Sentinel and Gwendolyn - Eysha, Aftermath

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk
The sentinel whips the charms, hitting each of the children. Each one falls asleep, innocent as the morning dew. Gwendolyn sits up, the children were oddly strong for children. The mayor comes up and bows before The Sentinel and Gwendolyn. "Thank you, the charms were the only things keeping the children from turning. The pig of a merchant gouged us for the cure, he was going to take them to a wizard to work on it. I know it won't be much, but you have our gratitude. Thank you!"

The crisis is over!

Ad-Lez - Adojurugan;Mystery Temple

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSg0skswqM0
Justin suddenly finds himself speaking in ocarina notes. He grabs at his throat and mouth as he sounds a beautiful windfish tune. The group laughs and says "Oh Justin!" as they begin to explore further the now safe parts of the dungeon. Ad-Lez moves with his boots of speed and pretty much invisibly to the closest of the dungeon elite. As he comes up on its patrol area, for it could be nothing else but a guardian of this place, As-Lez could see it would be a TPK for his apprentices. Elsewhere the traps Ad-Lez set began to get triggered, the howling of angry boss mobs as much an indicator of their delay than his dungeoneering knowledge!

An epic gelatinous cube appears! It was the size of a giant hill, but has collapsed in density to move through the labyrinth...

Kan Deishu - Kell

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGdXsxCpuM
Deishu pins the beast to the ground after a final display of true martial prowess and might! As much as it struggled it was truely weakened for the tide had turned and the crowd as one started chanting for Deishu! The only ones not cheering were the dark skinned ones, however their respect was enough. The Slor had lost all support. It finally gave up the fight and struggling, laying there beaten. The crowd stomped their feet, chanting for Deishu! "Great Dragon-one! Great Dragon-one! Great Dragon-one! Great Dragon-one!" Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom! The Lizard-King bowed his head. His chosen champion beaten. Standing he waved the crowd to silence before speaking. He inclined his head to Deishu, a gasp from the crowd. The king only gave that as a term of respect for an equal, something that had not been done in memory. "You have one Lizard-who-is-not. You can name your price. If you want the slaves returned, they will be. Any of my people who do not abide by what you wish, will be put to death. You have MY word."

Pater's curse does not take effect. You have not defeated the Lizards but have earned their respect!

Davos - Outlaw Colonies
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NACWZBDtN8
Bear began to sway as Davos pulled all the information he could about the court of the Bull. An outlaw band the bull himself was a minotaur, the cast off son of a noble his prime lieutenants were:

Name: Tartara also known as "The Blue Queen"

Her Greed is only matched by the cold in her heart. A sorceress of elemental water and ice, she remains in the Bull's court because it amuses her. She has a thing for pretty and powerful men and her tastes run from peasant farmers into the inhuman. All end up frozen and shattered for some petty matter of another. Her faction within the court of the Bull is mostly made up of female magic users and courtesan assassins. She specializes in enforcing the protection rackets for all merchant caravans and businesses in the region. Her vanity and pride even though she weighs almost 300 pounds is fueled by false supplicants and flatterers. Her own insecurities make her manipulatable by the Bull, for if she loses ground to the others or it is perceived she is the lesser of his lieutenants, she will move heaven and earth to reattain her position.

Name: Portus "Squealer" McGrabe

The head of snitches, informants, and the Bull's spies. He is constantly selling out underlings and his fellows for favor. Nobles, lawmen, and other outlaw bands are his bread and butter. Blackmail and leverage is the weasel's tool. Nobody likes him. Nobody wants him. However this craven cur is useful and it is rumored that he even has the Bull himself under his thumb. Only Portus' cowardice keeps him from attempting anything or so it is rumored. He has a massive list of the entire criminal network and other organizations besides. Meticulous records and information to be bought and traded for even more knowledge and power.

Name: "Laughing" Janos

The harlequin mask of laughter, the clowns and jesters. Laughing Janos never laughs. Traveling carnivals and entertainers that travel and get into courts and places that others could not. Killers mixed in with the minstrels and performers and all pay hard coin for the "privilege". It is this access which brings him into conflict with Portus and even Tartara, for he has access to the thoughts of kings and people of power. His people entertain the Bull, anything to keep him happy. Janos himself never laughs, doesn't smile. It is rumored that beneath his mask he isn't even alive. What could a dead man do with coin? What indeed?

Name: Thomas Gravestone

The Enforcer of enforcers. The regular band of men report to him along with the bone breakers, lendymen, and pit fighters. He loves cruelty and to hurt people and animals. A murderer several times over, he loves the screams of the weak and the wounded. His temper and willingness to fight has seen him almost a deader for the dustmen. It is rumored that he had the soul of a troll bound to his body, that he could come back from almost any wound. That he seems to have an aversion for fire fuels this rumor. If anything its his addiction to gambling that has seen him indebted to the Bull, a being not even he would cross. So long as he does work for the Bull and continues to make profits from the pit fighting, he has a place at the top of the tier in this band of bandits.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo - Scavenger Lands

Now that Pablo knew how many points he had/had a good idea of the nature of the statue, he expended 3 points to hear what it had to say.

Tell me about stuff Statue

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 15, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor hmphs, and nods approvingly. Much better, on all counts. The mothman is as good as his word, usually, even one not explicitly given. Upon gaining his answer, he slowly glides to the ground, dropping the man just before landing, though certainly low enough that he would survive unscathed. Shaken, but alive.

"Consider yourself lucky, darling. It would take far too much effort to slaughter the rest of your tribe, and I have places to be. Now go, you bore me."

Resting up, then heading off to the Scavanger Lands. The remaining tribe gets a reprieve, he had what he came for.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Pablo - Scavenger Lands

The statue started to talk. And talk. Annnd talk. About its days as an oracle statue, the times in the ancient past heroes and villains had come to it and found what they were looking for, answers to questions, life and more. I kept talking for it didn't need to breathe. Eventually it told you what a modern and complete and current map of the world looked like:

Before asking: "Did you need to know something specific? [Please insert another coin here]rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr." The statue seemed to be winding down, you might be able to get another round out of it before whatever mysterious force powered it went away forever...

Something specific? Also you get: 'World Map'

Hyalophor - Flying over the Burning Sands

Hyalophor begins flying, this world was large. He had a ways to go, before he would have to put down and rest for the evening. He could see a few small settlements off in the sands and a couple groups of migrant goat-herders travelling to oasis'...

Journey will take time, a point or two will get you there pretty quickly though. Unless you feel like exploring.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha, the Aftermath

"No gratitude is necessary. Tell me of this curse, and I shall give you my aid - all I ask in return is that you tell me of this place, and how I may reach Tolliran from here. I have been on my journey for...many years, and I see that many things changed in my absence. But know this, Mayor - should you ever have need, the Sentinel shall aid you. When I have regained my bearings and my holdings, I shall send word to you once more that I will aid you and yours when in need. This I swear."

The Sentinel is swearing an oath to the Mayor that once he has regained access to the Sentinel-Cave (for lack of a better term) and a reliable method of transport, the Mayor shall have his aid!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo - Scavenger Lands

Ah there he was, and there was Arabardy! It was... Somewhat problematic, it meant that whilst he was close to somewhere he could call home, it was also very close to somewhere where he is technically a heretic. But surely whilst he was certain many of the inquisitors had a grudge against him, surely that grudge didn't extend across four thousand years, the kingdom would have gotten that urge to expel all magic users from the country out of it's system at this point, right?

That was a point was taking a while to sink in. 4000 years, everyone he knew would be long dead, and quite possibly several hundred generations of their families would also be dead too. Including his. It was a rather, disquieting thought.

But, Pablo was certain that he came here to ask the statue something, but as it went on and on he sort of forgot what it was, when the statue started to power down, he suddenly remembered had had a job to do and quickly channeled 1 more point into it.

"Before you leave, I am looking for something Fate-Stones or Words of Creation, but I don't know what it is I am looking for exactly, but should I start looking?"
---

Oh yeah I AM on a quest aren't I?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 15, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor stretches after taking his break. Wings open, glimmering in the sunlight, he takes to the sky and pushes himself onward toward his goal. Best to get there quickly, before some other idiot claims his prize and sets him back to square one. No, he would relax once the device was in his possession.

Onward!

Spending points to get there faster, BUT will stop if something colorful or interesting catches his eye. At the moment, a big giant desert is on the bottom of his list of loiter spots.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos considered for a moment. This "Squealer" was an obvious first candidate, turn him and Davos would have all the information he needed to subvert the rest. The issue was locating the reclusive coward, that would be the difficult part. He had relatively little to trade. Then he smiled, he didn't really need to actually have something, just a rumor that he did would be enough. Turning to Bear, Davos commands him, "Bring me some locals, I need them mostly unharmed, and I need it done quietly. You make use whatever resources you require, but know that I will be watching you. Think of it as a test to prove you are in fact fit to be my right hand, so strive to impress me."

Once Bear left, Davos sat cross-legged closing his normal eyes, and opening his third eye, using it to remotely view Bear and his actions and assess the usefulness of his new lieutenant.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

Gelatinous Cubes could be a surprisingly tricky foe for the ignorant or unprepared. Fortunately Ad-lez was neither. He launched a volley of ice arrows to freeze the beast.

I'm going to use ice arrows. Going to gauge the effectiveness before I smash or change tactics.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
"The curse was the flute-piper for we didn't pay him for ridding the town of cockroaches and pests. Instead he played a tune out of nightmare that only the children could hear. We killed and burned him on a bonfire but the flute continues to play from beyond the graaaave!" He begins hacking and coughing after his tale. At the sentinel's oath he waves his hand in agreement. "I know not how we'll reach you, but thank you for your kindness." The mayor gives The Sentinel directions as best he could.

Pablo - Scavenger Lands

"You will find what you are seeking if you search in the heart of your old homelanaaaaaand.nnnnnnoooootice it is not where it once wassssss. Alien lands all iiiiiinnnnnn one one one one worlddddd." The statue sparks and goes dark. A dark pink.

The other lands on the map to Pablo are very old like from a history book, very new, or not from this world. The date is also disturbing...A breadcrumb lies in your homeland!

Hyalophor - North Scavanger lands
Hyalophor flies over territory in a blur, until he comes upon mountains and mountains of precious metals and scrap. That a war of sorts is being waged upon on the north side.

You arrive in the north. A mad max style conflict over the scraplands..

Davos - Outlaw Colonies
A few plots are soon in motion, Bear gathering some druids and guards for the work. A young lad in a dress. An old man feigns a fall. Each person taken seemingly at random but actually hand picked and known for gossiping and being part of the bottom tier information dredgers' network. Bear picked those who would be embellishers and those who would tell most of the truth. Enough variance so that the commonalities would be trusted. As each person was groomed by different scenarios to get them off their guard, Bear had multiple hands ready to take people into an alley for a beating or sidebuilding. In a few cases some were tossed in refuse carts. It took a couple weeks, and Davos had to make camp with his remaining forces more permanent than he'd like. It was on the 15th day that Bear felt ready and Davos felt he was ready. A warehouse in Bulltertown (a mid sized sprawl) was where all the captives were held in cages. Some more worse off than others as they needed a good daily beating to know not to attempt escape.

Success.

Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

The Gelatinous Cubes broke apart in bits and pieces, each frozen. Soon the area was littered with tiny cubes. If they thawed, well. Baby cubes were cute in a way. Until a million of them teamed up on you. Luckily for Ad-Lez, he had time to figure out his next move.

[Meanwhile one of your apprentices has discovered: one of your traps!]

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled as he entered the warehouse. He had quietly moved through the city, seemingly timid and easy to forget, not the man planning the takeover of the land. That affectation ended as soon as he entered the warehouse. Bear, sensing his approach through their link, prostrates himself before his Master, silently awaiting Davos' judgement of his actions thus far. The other servants in the building quickly follow suit, Bear has shown no tolerance for any defiance of the Master no matter how trivial or accidental, no doubt they thought Davos' right hand was watching them even now, out of the corner of his eyes, marking any who showed the slightest hesitation, or even the lack of sufficient enthusiasm in humbling themselves before their master, drawing up a list in his mind of those who would be punished later for their transgression.

While this goes on, Davos looks over the prisoners, they had been prepared for his coming, their heads held in place, their eyes forced to remain open. He opens his own third eye, allow its power to radiate outward, to melt their minds into pliable putty. When it is done he sets to work, altering their memories since their capture. He was careful, erasing Bear and the other bandits from their mind, leaving only a handful of the druids. They would remember hearing rumors of a group in the woods with many secrets. They would remember investigating. They would remember walking in on an arcane ceremony, lead by one of the druids, the trees and the birds and the clouds whispering secrets to them. As far as they recall, if they recalled him at all, Davos would merely be a lower-ranking member of the group, a nobody, an errand boy. The druid's upon being discovered would cast some sort of spell over the intruder knocking them out. When they would awake the druids had vanished. Davos mixed things up a bit each time, to make it more believable, but left the core narrative the same. He also make sure to cluster the various "sightings" in a single area, weaving into it a pattern that anyone who looked hard enough would find, and deduce a place to find them. It was a useful twist, Davos had found it much more effective as bait when you obscured what you were trying to give, if it was too easy they'd smell a trap. No, he had baited his lure, and by disguising his own role, set a second trap within the trap he was already laying.

Once the work was done he left them unconscious, they would awaken once they were let loose. It would be bit by bit over the next day or two, at random intervals, making sure to return them as quietly as possible to different locations. Disguise any commonality between their disappearance and their return. Satisfied, Davos turns to Bear. "You have done well, my most favored thrall." He brings forth the blade he had taken from the tower, the one that had cut through hardened metal like warm butter. He hands it to Bear, "A special blade, use it in service to me. Now, let us return to the forest. You will attend to me while we wait, another test and another chance to show your devotion and usefulness."

He returns with Bear to the encampment, setting up for the ambush that was to come, passing the days with Bear waiting on him hand and foot.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo - Scavenger Lands

Alien worlds from alien lands in one place, some from the past, some from the future, some that would never exist on this world normally.

"What have I got myself into?" Said Pablo, but with the world map in hand, and a breadcrumb too, he knew what he must do.

But first he made sure he found a serviceable cloak and a working compass in the ruins before he left. Because whilst there was a lot of things he was certain about pertaining to certain organizations active as he fled the country, namely that they were all dead, it never hurts to be a little careful. After all he is technically wearing a fashion that went out of date 4000 years ago, someone would comment.

---

Let's go home, what will it even look like, what would have happened, what century is it in right now if this world is made up of nations from all points in time and space it could be 4000 years from when he left or even just a week after.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

And here, the Sentinel was faced with a choice. He could delay his trip to Tolliran, his quest for Pater, and he could break the curse on this place. Or he could leave these people to a fate they would not with any certainty survive.

He knew.

He must stay, at least for now. A job half-finished is a job undone.

"I will aid you in breaking this curse, before I go. Please - take me to the place where you burned the body, and if possible, his personal effects. I shall see what I can do to ensure this never happens to you again."

The Sentinel is going to try to analyze this curse from an academic standpoint and see what he can do to break it. After that, he plans to make haste for Tolliran.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

No screams. That bodes well. For the matter at hand, Ad-lez's fingers went for his hammer before he paused. That much work was a young man's move. He instead reached inside his pouch for his bottle of lantern oil. Due to certain spatial enchantments on his bottle and that many monsters tend to excrete passable lantern oil, coupled with an obsessive need to collect anything of use, his personal reserve of flammable liquids(among other things) was likely equal or greater than that of most kingdoms. So, he poured out enough to coat the floor the iced cubes were chilling on a quarter inch deep and ran to the maximum distance he could. A single fire arrow should take care of most of them.

If a mere handful survived to test his students, so much the better.

Oil+floor+Safe Distance+Fire Arrow=Problem Solved.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

Deishu had posed slightly before the king acknowledged his defeat, and quickly stopped. While he was a bit of a showoff, he had at least enough sense to know not to do so when someone important was speaking. He listened to the kind and nodded.

"Yeah. I mean, I came down here to free the slaves so that would be great. It'd be great if you could...stop kidnapping people for slaves. That is really bad for your karma you know, the whole making other people suffer thing is kind of bad for your own spirit as well." He said and looked at the slaves. There were a bunch of them. "I'll take the slaves back with me, but while you're undoing their chains and bindings I'm going to look at that...Slor? You called it? See if I can heal it. Something's up with it, there shouldn't be a Daeva like that in Wu Xan. I mean, where did you all come from? I am sure the masters and I should have known if we had a secret underground lizard society..." Deishu mused mostly to himself. Without really waiting for approval or a response, he went over to the Slor and tried to 'sense' him like he had in the tower. Maybe it would work again. He wanted to see if he could figure out what Slor was in a spiritual sense and what his health was so he could try and work out what he'd need to do to heal it...before seeing if he even could.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor - North Scavanger Lands

Hyalophor alights atop one of the peaks of metal, standing tall and gazing down at the fighting taking place below him. Hmm, curious. Sport? War? If it was war, he'd prefer not to get in the middle of it, and if it were sport, he'd prefer not to interrupt. So he shall wait, and see who was left standing at the end. Perhaps they would be able to answer his questions...

Waiting to see if anyone emerges victorious.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies
Rumors began to circulate and this was good as the days passed more and more mouths retold the telling and eventually the druid lookouts whistled that the squealer was approaching. He furtively hid behind four guards hiding his face lest he be revealed to his enemies. A final guard trailed behind, carrying a bulging clinking pouch. Bear waited with Davos behind one of the trees as the druids made with the false ritual. Amongst the druids were interspersed multiple guards, hand picked by bear for meanness. The bandit in front of the squealer called out. "Oi, who's here has da information. We's lookin to buy if yer sellin'." Bear looked on, ready to signal an attack if need be. He looked to Davos. "Want me to negotiate?" His desire for protecting Davos over-ruling his desire to kill.

Pablo - Arabardy
As Pablo entered his homeland he could see it had changed. People's way of dress and speech was slightly...off. Everyone treated him respectfully enough, but he received odd looks when people thought he wasn't looking. It wasn't too disquieting but it wasn't like home either. He'd catch snippets of people talking about "the big game". When he came upon a group of men, they seemed to be in a fierce argument.
"Butterfield runs 90 yards and throws the javelin for the score down, he's better than Techman. You're off your rocker if you think the blues can't score."

Another man yells, "The huntsmen shine idiot. You cannot deride their scoring sores and downs. Beastie tackle shieldbearers have the best blocks. You cannot argue defense without a valid set of proofs."

Statistical information flowed about "The Big Game." One of the men sees you waving you to join. "What say you Renaissance reenactor?"

The mayor becons for Gwendolyn and the Sentinel to follow him. Showing The Sentinel the scene of the burning. The site was well preserved, for the burning happened under a natural rock outcropping, shielded from most elements. Scattered about were bones, tools, and bits of wire. Lots and lots of ash covered more. The perfect place forma sleuth to find out clues. "If you could defeat this curse, we'd be in your debt sir." The mayor says lamely.

Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon
The oil burned hot and bright. A hissing and the smell of burnt garbage began to fill the labyrinth. The thing as it melted tried to come back and reshape itself, however the flames burned continually. Until eventually the entire monster was gone. Greasy oily black nasty film covered the ceilings, floors, and walls. The stench was terrible...

It died a greasy oil stain.

Kan Deishu - Kell
The king nodded. "We shall release the slaves and...consider your other request." As the lizard men made to complete the new champion's request Deishu began to examine the Slor. As he looked. Really looked. He could see that the Slor was actually quite weak. Its size was nearly one tenth from where it had started now. It seemed to be dying. It was unique and very very old. It was an evil aggregator of some kind. Where ever evil existed, it would thrive. It was perhaps the last of its kind or the first. Different from anything else he sensed. The Slor opened an eye. Seeming to wait and see if Deishu would slay it.

Basterlaster fought humongoid. Hundreds of men and women fighting in the scraplands. A stalemate as the sides fought and raided each other. It might be a while, unless a wanderer came to tip the balance...

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

With a series of grapple-hook shots the old hero circled over the remains of the Legendary Gelatinous Cube. Something that big might have absorbed some treasures. Possibly even one of those runes he was supposed to be searching for. He took out a special magic-seeing monocle to help look over the area. He collected anything left of value he could find before that ache in his ancient shoulders told him it was time to move on in search of the other powerful guardians of this dungeon.

Grappling about, looking for treasure, moving on.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

This was a nuisance, he couldn't be sure that his target was actually here. Considering what an inveterate coward this Squealer was supposed to be, he gave even odds this was a double. He needed to be sure. So he nodded to Bear, and used his psychic link to pass on a simple command, [If he recognizes you, bluff.] This would be an excellent chance to see just how devious his favored slave actually way.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor waits and watches for some time, until it is apparent the war won't suddenly be over in the span of the five minutes he spends sitting idly. Feh, bothersome! The only thing to do, then, is to find out if anyone down there knew anything useful. Locals were sure to be able to direct him to what he needed. Hopefully.

Heading down to the camp that looks the least poo poo :v:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Sentinel breathed deep. This was where they had executed the flute-player, and this was where the curse had presumably begun.

The bones concerned him - possibly an execution ground for the town's criminals. He examined them, searching for telltale signs of magical alteration - mutations, etchings (for some shamanistic magics, tattooing the bone was considered the mark of a truly powerful spellcaster,) and personal effects that may answer the burning questions in his mind.

He knelt down near the ashes, prodding and sifting through them with his knife, examining every bit of their color and consistency. He pulls his mask up to cover his nose and mouth, and puffs a cloud of the ashes into the air to observer their behavior.

The truesilver coating the steel of his knives would react to certain alchemical substances and magics, but he could not place his faith in his equipment and neglect the ability of his own senses.

He scoured the ashes, brushing them aside with the knife and searching for the one relic of the flute-player's passing that would give him some kind of answer - the flute. He prayed it was steel or some sort of metal, and not wood that would merely have hastened the fire.

As he did so, he looped a strand of the charm he had palmed around his finger, and dangles it over the ashes of the bonfire, in the hopes that its magical ability would react with the ashes in a manner that would provide him some sort of evidence.

Doing the whole "analyze area, search for clues" thing. Let's show Eysha who the world's greatest detective really is! Also, spending points to find as many clues as possible!

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 21, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo - Arabardy

Think quickly, sports, sports, from what he could gather from the sport conversation in front of him, this wasn't like anything around at his time, so when in doubt spout bullshit.

"Yes indeed but, I would wager that a good defense of more importance then a good attack a lot of the time." Okay this seems to be working, push home. "If a team can reliably score but lets through the opponents offensive drive like water through a colander, then what ever advantage you might get from scoring is moot at that point. "

"I would love to stay but I have a, amateur dramatics society meeting I am running late to." He had caught the advert on the lamp post and decided that it was as good a way out if any, he wafted some papers, they were actually the theory of imaginary numbers in calculus but they didn't know that.
"Very big role, my first in fact! Lot's of rehearsing to do before it I'm sorry that I must be off."

He left nonchalantly as he rounded a corner, and broke into a run when he was out of sight before stopping off on an unoccupied bench. Okay, there's an issue that needed to be dealt with right now, he didn't like the idea of standing out in the crowd right now, since he had no idea how much his country had changed since when he left on the off-chance that they still had an inquisition he didn't want to come to their attention, that would be unfortunate.

So he made a list

One, acquire some money
Two, acquire some appropriate clothing
Three, find out what the bloody hell is going on
And Four, find the Word of Creation and... Well he'll decide that when he gets there.

The first one was going to be a problem, he only had old money after all what could he buy with out of date money. He paused, and he fished out the shiny gold pieces from his wallet and looked at them. Old money, he remembered back even in his own country where gentlemen of leisure would sometimes collect medals and coins from old world societies and would often pay handsomely to finish his collection, Pablo had decided on the less socially acceptable past-time of learning magic instead. And these coins were still the old pesos, made of actual gold rather then just a gold coloured metal. He was suddenly quite thoughtful.

"Where might I locate a pawn shop at this time?"

---

Pablo is gonna make an effort to fit in before he continues his search. So to that end he's going to exchange his old currency for the local equivalent because even if he can't find a coin collector who would probably be interested in mint condition Arabardy currency from 4000 years ago, it's still a good handful of gold he is carrying around so he can get a good exchange rate on it at the very least. And then he will get some appropriate clothing and hit the nearest library to read up on what he has apparently missed over 4000 years.

What could go wrong

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

A creature that could only feed off of evil where it gathered, something whose nature bound it to misery and misfortune. What a terrible fate indeed. Deishu felt a strong sense of compassion towards the creature, who could not help being what it was. It told him several things though, that the lizardfolk were a dangerous threat given that it had grown large and thrived around them. Part of the duties of the Great Dragon was supposed to be about cleansing evil and maintaining the balance of the Heavenly Bureaucracy. Deishu had...never really paid much thought to it before. Everything in Wu Xan had been orderly and peaceful, boringly so for a hot headed youth wanting to prove himself. But now for the first time, he began to think about what that really meant.

He patted Slor gently and said to it; "don't worry, I'm going to help you." Then...he wasn't sure what he did. It was kind of like using his sensing, but instead of just trying to sense what Slor was he tried to change it. As though he had his own set of intangible hands, warm and gentle that slowly worked through and over Slor. His intent was relatively simple and earnest, to change the creature from feeding and growing where evil accumulated, to doing the same with good. He could have understood if the creature was meant to be exorcised to purify the area, but that didn't seem to be the case as far as Deishu could tell. Besides, unlike other beings who could choose their destinies and natures, this poor thing could not. And so Deishu crouched next to it, put his hands on its side and tried to heal both its physical wounds, and its spiritual nature.

• Locked thread