Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon
Acid pits and fire alleys, Ad-Lez soon found himself in another part of the maze. He was far from his pupils now, anything they got into...well that would be their trouble. Indeed, Ad-Lez heard the sound of singing. Singing unearthly beauty. She was sitting locked in a cage over an abyss. Her filthy hands and clothes over an angelic face smudged in dirt. Her eyes alighted with hope as she saw you. But she took care to not stop singing. "Whoo are youu? What can youu doo? Don't be a fooool, and awaken Daguuuule." Hopeful but worried.

Davos - Outlaw Colonies
Bear walked up to the group, began talking. The conversation went on for a while when Bear stiffened. "That ain't him!"

You have a moment to act on this knowledge.

Hyalophor - North Scavanger Lands
Hyalophor begins walking towards Lord Humongoid's camp. "I told them. Just walk away and I'd spare their lives! Just walk away!" A large man's voice was saying. Hyalophor happened upon the pickets that were set to guard against any intrusions. "Hey! Who approaches the camp of Lord Humongoid?!" Said a pipsqueak holding a pile larger than himself.

The Sentinel - Eysha, Aftermath
The thorough investigation netted some of the best clues.
#1: The piper was not the first nor the last to be burned in this way.

#2: Partially burned Instruments and tools littered the burn site.

#3: The magical curse had built from the first victim and was continuing to grow with each person burned.

#4: The pieces now fit. The villagers hired magical musicians to fix their problems. Then in a ghoulish set of greedy acts, refused to pay for services rendered. When the magical music men made to undo their work for backwages, they were brutally burned alive. The adults in the town were all greedy assholes, the children cursed by their foul deeds. The merchant was a greedy rear end in a top hat profiting off of the village's misfortune. The bandits were greedy assholes who would have been ripped limb from limb by the children had Gwendolyn and the Sentinel driven them off or killed them.

#5: Greed and assholes. All around. It was obvious now, even breaking the curse wouldn't help if the people didn't veer from their course. The dead would have to be made at peace. Somehow.

Pablo - Arabardy
The man seemed enthralled by Pablo's grasp of the sport and made to ask him to get a pint with them, but he had run off quicker than they could ask.
Pablo found a pawn shop, they hadn't changed much over the years same magical neon colored signs. He say one called "Carla The Badger's sleepy pawn and quack" whatever that meant. The sign had a fire breathing duck battling what looked like a dire badger on it. Entering the shop Pablo could see items both familiar and new to him. Expensive!

Kan Deishu - Kell
The Slor shuddered as it promptly turned inside out. It exploded messily before re-animating and rebonding into something all together new. It was fluffy and cuddly where the original Slor was reptilian and all sharp spines. Cutely it licked Deishu before snuggling up to him. It was about 7 feet tall. Suddenly it made a troubled sound as it shrank another foot. Not much good around here to sustain it. It whimpered softly and nuzzled Deishu. A name like Slor wouldn't do.

What would Deishu call it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos scowled, he shouldn't be surprised, but that didn't stop him from being annoyed. Still, there was a more immediate matter to deal with. Blaring outward with all of his mental power, he attempted to temporarily shut off the consciousness of anyone in the area not already in his thrall, leaving them standing but otherwise asleep. Once he had done so, he forced their bodies to walk into open view where he could be sure of their location. Perhaps he was being paranoid, but this seemed, in his eyes, to be a trap, and he would not allow his plan to be compromised so easily.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

Whatever he had expected, it had not been this. "What the..." he murmured in surprise before the thing butted up against him. Absently he ruffled the fur of the creature affectionately before deciding to call it Haogou without realising it. He walked back to the king. "Okay, so now that I've healed Slor..." The king looked meaningfully at the mess of gore that had exploded before the creature had been changed. "...as I said, healed, it-" Deishu repeated firmly without breaking stride as he continued. "-I need to head back with the villagers." He specifically did not call them slaves. "I'll come back in a while to make sure you are all doing okay. Also, you should probably tone it back on the whole evil thing you know? You might attract worse than this little guy and if you attracted a greater Asura or Awakened Deva it would probably not be a great time for you."

Probably the King had no idea what Dieshu was talking about.

Are the slaves villagers ready to go? If so we're leaving. Otherwise Deishu will see what's up.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha, the Aftermath

His eyes narrowed to cold slits. He saw what was happening here, with perfect clarity.

Corpses, all killed at different times, all in various states of decay after being burned. Clearly, the piper wasn't the first man to be killed in this cave. He also quite clearly wasn't the last. Burnt tools and instruments, most with magical sigils and engravings upon them - clearly, the people killed were practitioners of bardic, and other magics. Laborers, artisans, and craftsmen all. Best yet, their pockets had been rifled through, their pouches slit open and even their gold teeth pried out. Their valuables taken, but their tools left behind - tools that would, no doubt, have fetched a pretty penny at market. Why, then, would they not be sold? The personal effects of the condemned had no stain on their reputation, and could be liquidated easily - or even melted down for their component metals. But the Sentinel knew why.

Innocent people. These villagers had killed innocent people. The mayor's story rang false from the beginning - a "flute-piper" (what sort of term even was that, anyway?) who chased the rats out, and cursed the children? He'd heard something like it in a storybook once, one to scare one's children into staying in line. No doubt the man had been a bardic practitioner, performed a service in ridding the village of its vermin ("But oh, how you've left your job undone," the Sentinel mused,) the villagers refused to pay, and burned him to prevent him from warning any of his fellow practitioners. Why, then, would they refuse to pay for honest work?

The simple answer was greed. And the simplest answer when dealing with the wicked, he'd learned, was oft the right one.

Beneath his mask, the Sentinel's face began to tighten into a visage of cold fury. There would be vengeance. But not just yet - he must know the whole truth. He must know of the curse, and save the children.

Clearly, the mayor could not have been the only one involved in these killings. Initially, he suspected a cadre of close confidantes/accomplices, but as he continued to search the corpses and examine the scene, he realized that the only way this could have happened was cooperation on a massive scale. Surely, anyone who had dissented or gone against the Mayor had been killed by those loyal. And that would have to be answered for.

But the children. He must save the children.

He focused, examining the ebbs and flows of the ashes as they blew in the air, examining the thrum of the charm's string, looped around his finger, and examining every sigil on every instrument. Eventually, he hit upon it - the curse, such as it were, had been laid long before the piper, with the first murder. Who that first murder was, the Sentinel would never know - the body was charred beyond belief, but the bones, though jet-black and crushed, were still there. They deepened the thrum of the charm, and the Sentinel rapidly stuffed it into a hidden pouch in his sleeve, so as not to tip his hand to the Mayor - who he was keeping a close eye on, by means of watching the man's shadow. Clearly, had the curse been laid so long ago, they would surely have encountered the problems with the children sooner.

But if the curse had merely become stronger with every murder...then the murder of the piper may have pushed it to the tipping point - finally activated its dormant magics. And if the curse ran deeper with every killing...these children would overrun the village soon enough, slaying all in their path. And as poetic as that justice would be, the children were innocent. And it fell to the Sentinel to break their curse.

Ticking over the options in his head, it occurs most strongly to him that the correct course of action would be to appease the dead - invoke some kind of ritual, gather their spirits, and speak to them. Ritual magic was never his strong suit, but surely he could find someone in the village who he could...persuade into cooperation. It's for the children, isn't it?

His cold fury became a predatory grin, and he turned back to the mayor, his knife kept safely behind his back.

"Your Honor, I believe you owe me an...explanation," he says in the quiet tone of an unstoppable force about to be unleashed.

And then, the storm breaks.

He dashes forth, gauntleted fist seizing the Mayor around the neck. He lifts the man up with one hand, bashing him into the wall of the outcropping. He brings himself right into the Mayor's face, every word coming out a rough hiss.

"Twas not the piper who damned your children, you fool - twas you. Tell me why, or I'll have to ask you...impolitely," he rasps, bringing the knife from behind his back and placing it along the man's neck.

Interrogating the Mayor for the last bits of pertinent information, then making some Big drat Moves.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 23, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor spreads his wings and dips into an elaborate bow. "I am the radiant Hyalophor of Sonderlan, at your service. I've come to speak to, ah, Lord Humungoid, was it? Yes, him."

He awaits the tiny thing's answer.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

People fell out of yhe nearby trees, crossbows from limp hands as the "negotiation group" hit the ground. One fired off heading straight for Bear's head. In one smooth stroke, he cleaved the arrow down the middle, it would have killed him. "A fine sword", he remarked. He stabbed the rear bandit several times angrily, leaving the important ones alive. "This one is Armax. One of the Squealer's lackeys. He looks a lot like the squealer. If anything would have happened...I." He turned back towards the stabbed unconscious bandit and cut off his hands, feet, and finally head in brutal chops. The druids faded into the background, Bear's sadistic temper a thing they'd learn to avoid. "love...him...couldn't take it if... " No one could make it out. Probably a curse from hell.

Kan Deishu - Kell

The slaves,
Haogou, and Deishu soon began trekking back to the village. Everyone was very apprehensive around the beast at first but it was the children who adopted the creature wholeheartedly. It purred and squeaked and soon was covered in laughing kids. The hollow look behind their eyes was soon replaced with some of the innocence lost from their captivity. The Haogou grew larger and more fluffy with each child and soon adults were finding themselves happier. The villagers and Deishu made camp a day's walk from the village, the children protectively curled into the Haogou's fur. The leader of the villagers soon took Deishu aside and asked him: "the lizards will be back you know. Not all of them will respect the King's orders outside the caverns..."

The Sentinel - Eysha

"But how!" The mayor snarled before realizing he had been caught. "What I mean is-" but it was too late. When the Sentinel was done, he had confirmed all his suspicions. The mayor and several ring leaders had started the killings bringing more and more into the mob. Until it was an unstoppable behavior. Fear of the others kept people from dissenting and stopping until it was soon a learned behavior reinforced by the group. As The Sentinel wrought the confession from the mayor the air soon began to grow colder and colder until his breath could be seen in the air. The dead were here and watching....

"The Lord Humongoid sees no one!" The pipsqueak squeaks. Lowering the spear. A bark from the other guard stops him. "
Dat ain't true! He loves guests!" After some bickering and arguing they both agree that Lord Humongoid would agree to kill or greet you. Hyalophor is brought in front of the largest human being he had ever seen. He must be half giant. Heavily muscled and oiled continuously by several muscular women, he wore a mask cobbled together from garbage. "Well well. I see my dogs of war have brought me a....guest. Tell me, what is your business in the Scavanger lands?"

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

He gave a sharp and silent nod to her, peering over the edge of the pit while considering his options. He had come into possession of a number of magic crystals over the years. One from a sort of demigod-like whale whose curse of slumber he had broken. He laid back near the rim of the pit and placed the gem upon his brow. Willing himself to fall asleep he tried to seamlessly enter into the dream-realm of this Dagruule.

I need to go deeper.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha

He tossed the man to the ground, tackling him and binding his wrists. Roughly, he hauled the mayor to his feet as his wedding band grew...cold. So cold, in fact, that it felt like a blade of ice being jabbed into his sternum. Death was here. Her power was strong. And the Sentinel knew what was afoot, even as her muted whispers echoed faintly in his ears, unintelligible but purposeful.

"Come, you thrice-damned fool. You shall answer for your crimes, and with your punishment, the curse may be broken yet."

He looked out at the spirits, arrayed before him and some phasing in and out of his vision.

"Come, honored dead. I shall see the wicked punished for their crimes against you, and see you to a peaceful rest, one where your music may be heard through the halls of eternity. This I swear."

He bowed his head, shoving the Mayor in front of him and walking back to the village.

Once back in the village, he stands, centrally, holding the Mayor by his bindings and calling out at the top of his lungs. The cold feeling followed him, and he knew the spirits were with him.

"Come, citizens! Come see the source of the curse which has been laid upon your children! Come see what works have wrought this evil, that we may undo them!"

And now, he waited. They would appear, sure the Sentinel would be humbled and laid low, ready to be burned at the stake like all the rest. They did not know the caliber of the man they had brought into their schemes. Not in the slightest.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled as he head Bear's muttered comments, that was exactly what he wanted from the man. Such a thing deserved a reward, and so Davos gestured to Bear, who was quick to attend to his master, prostrating himself, virtually kissing Davos' feet. "I have heard what you said," Davos begins conversationally, quiet enough that none but he and Bear could hear, "and I approve. Now, I have a gift and a test for you. These wretches," he gestures to the still unconscious guards, "I will make them putty in your hands. I will give them to you as your Claws, shape them as you see fit, but know that I am watching and I await to see what you make from the clay you are given."

One by one Bear would bring them before him, force their eyes open and hold them in place, while Davos used his third eye to melt away their mind's defenses, prepared them to extremely susceptible to Bear and whatever program of indoctrination or brainwashing he chose to pursue. Armax was spared this fate, and simply hog-tied and a guard was posted to ensure he made no attempt at escape. For the moment, Davos was more interested in seeing what Bear would do with his gifts.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Pablo - Carla The Badger's sleepy pawn and quack

Well this seems to be the right place, he approaches the counter and looks for the owner.

"Hello?"

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor simply smiles at Lord Humanoid, inclining his head, antenna swept back.

"I am the radiant Hyalophor of Sonderlan. I come to you, Lord Humungoid, in search of a device, reputably able to twin a person. I'm certain we can come to some sort of arrangement, in exchange for the knowledge of its location."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Ad-Lez - Dagruule Mindscape

Perhaps Ad-Lez's first slip up. Here Dagruule was god. Here it ruled. Here it was AWAKE.

To disconnect there will be an elevated cost. It sees you. You know it knows. It knows you know it knows. You both know it.

The Sentinel - Eysha

The people gathered and moans escaped their lips, the children screamed in their magically enforced slumber. The dead were here to bear witness. The cold blue light of an unnatural dusk shrouded the village in darkness. Gwendolyn for some reason remained silent. Following the Sentinel. Observing. The mayor yelled for the people to attack the sentinel. Finish him like the others. No one took him up on this or even moved. Every adult guilty. Every person a party to murders most foul. "What would you have happen stranger?" The blacksmith asked boldly. "One cannot undo what was done!"

An interesting question.

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

"You...know. My feelings." Bear was surprised. "Does that mean that you L-" He caught himself, looked around. But the moment for questions had passed. As Davos gave his orders, Bear executed those orders as only one who could act as passionately as a madman in love could. Davos was his universe. Each Talon was given a new purpose and skill. Some disposable, some not. Like a tool chest, Bear would have a henchman for different scenarios as they came about. If he need someone to set traps, now they had an agent dedicated to learn and enact anything that someone with a singular purpose and expertise could enact. The Talons did not know these skills as of yet. But left to their own devices they would self-educate and become subject matter experts on the one thing that was now their life's purpose. Bear looked to Davos for his approval, it meant so much to him that Davos was happy.

The Talons have been created. Or was it claws. In any case they are each primed to do something and do it the best. They just need time to learn the skills.

"Why hallo mista! What brings yew to Carla's? You need some nicks? Some nacks? How about some triluthian snacks?" She reaches over into a bowl of wriggling grubs and crunches noisily.

Meet Carla!

"Ahh yes. I seem to remember. You see, it exists on the other side where my enemies lie. They will surely fight or try and hide this prize and contest me at ever turn for the valuable scrap as well." He flexes his muscles. "I do not know a proper strategy to oust them, friend pretty Hyalophor. Even when we fight they always run back to their holes to hide."

He's listening.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha

"No," he said. "One cannot undo murder. The dead cannot be given life once again. But we can honor them, we can treat them with the respect they deserve as those whose lives were unjustly taken by them through your avarice and corruption. And we can punish those responsible for these heinous acts."

He stops. Thinks a moment.

"Those of you who first agreed to the Mayor's wicked schemes. Those who had direct hand in these deaths. You who call yourselves his allies and confidantes. Come forth. Come forth and face the justice of the Sentinel. Come forth and answer to the dead."

He looks at the spirits, then again to the Mayor.

"There shall be punishment this day. But you, people of this village, shall live with your sins forevermore, and you shall know this: Mother and Father are the names of the gods on the lips of all children. Your children were cursed by your own hands - your own greed, and desire to line your coffers with gold. You have caused untold suffering, among those innocent and too new to this world to understand. Now - come forth and face your punishment. Those of you with remorse - those of you kept silent and intimidated by the Mayor and his cronies. Now is the time to speak! Now, I ask of you, name those who have caused this evil to be visited upon your children! Name them, and let them face justice!"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ah, right. When the store sign said 'The Badger' should have really payed more attention to that. He was going to make up a story about how he was on his way to a, what was it now? Ah yes a, 'renaissance faire' and was waylay-ed by a cut-purse and was in need of money and was most certainly not insane. And then a Badger started talking to him and he said in not so many words in his head 'Bugger this for a lark, the world is on it's head right now so I might as well just tell the truth'. So he just sighed and pressed forward

"Bare with me for a moment miss, I'm working up to actually admitting something most people would get me locked for." He took a deep breath. "I'm in a slight spot of bother miss, I'm from here, but I am not from here exactly. I am in fact from out of time in my own country by about, 4000 years or so I think and I am in serious need of period appropriate money." He fished in his pocket and put the Golden Pieces on the desk in front of the cashier.

"12 Gold Pieces that should date from 998 AY in Arabardy, very good condition, could I inquire what I could get for this?"

---

Pablo doesn't have time to make up a good story he's just going to come out with the truth. Which is one hell of a story in of itself

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 28, 2016

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

It was a battle of the minds. Though Dagruule held the home advantage, Ad-Lez was well-versed in looking into the Abyss. In this realm, he too was unconstrained by the mundane, the physical, and his own aging body. His mind, will, and courage were the true source of his power, and this Dagruule would have to face him head on.

For if this Dagruule was a indeed like a god here, he himself was still a Titan.

Going for a Final-Boss style fight. Shifting terrain, bizzare random mechanics. Like a Diablo III Greater Rift on steroids while tripping balls.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled at Bear, intrigued by the path his favored thrall had chosen. In answer to Bear's unfinished question, Davos said, "You must earn that through single minded devotion to me, you have done extremely well so far, but you can always do better. Do that and you may earn what you seek."

Next, Davos turned his attention to Armax. The man was hogtied and gagged, and he looked up at Davos with fear in his eyes, a fatal mistake, for Davos merely opened his third eye and soon Armax's expression had gone blank as he descended into a deep trance. Davos set about reprogramming the man, inserting an idea similar to what he had done with the Druids, rebellious thoughts and actions would be punished, obedient and loyal ones rewarded. This time, however, aware of the issue he had with the druids, he strengthened the reward prong, arranging things so that when Armax submitted to avoid punishment he would be rewarded, and start him down the path to blissful slavery. While he worked, he made sure to arrange things to when the time came infiltrate back into Squealer's organization, with the appropriate command Armax would seem as though he was a free man, not Davos' obedient thrall.

Taking a few minutes to speed up Armax's perception of time, allowing Armax to experience a day or two of subjective time in an few hours. That should hopefully speed along the learning process as Armax learned to avoid punishing thoughts and seek out submissive ones instead. Once he was reasonably certain the programming had run its course, Davos asks, "So, tell me about Squealer. Anything that might be useful for me in luring him out."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

"So the King himself said as much." Nodded Deishu as he thought ahead. "And if it's not the lizard people, it will be bandits, or wild creatures, or another danger. You need to learn to defend yourselves a little .The guard and myself, in my role as the Great Dragon, will of course come to protect you like any other village and town of Wu Xan but we cannot always be there straight away. So it is best if your people learn how to defend yourselves first, to deal with the small threats, and to hold out until help can arrive." He explained and went on to talk about what he was planning. Deishu knew villagers and common people probably would not be able to match him even in a handicap fight, but they could practice the slower martial arts for exercise which would help teach the moves when they needed speed in a fight. Plus staff fighting was a practical and easy skill to learn, and keeping in shape for a militia would mean that they would be healthier as well. Also even though he was a little bashful to admit it, Deishu had a number of sneaky tricks for getting into where he was not supposed to, and for avoiding people, and he could teach them to anyone in the watch so they would be caught less off guard.

"By the way, how far from Zhong Tenjin are you? It would be good to know how far from the capital you are so I can figure out how long you could hold out for in an emergency. Plus, I really need to let the monks of the grand temple know I'm safe and going to get home eventually. I just couldn't leave your village in danger before I returned."

Sorting out my plan with the village leader. It will become pretty clear to the leader that Deishu does not know where he is, thinks he is in Wu Xan, and is probably also completely broke having never wanted for anything or had to pay for anything before in his life.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor simply stares at the odd humanoid a moment. "Then I will simply go to their holes and oust them myself. I can't be spending weeks helping you plan strategy. Not when I have places to be. Consider it your lucky day."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
The Sentinel - Eysha

"gently caress that!" An old woman squaked. No one moved. It would seem the Sentinel has found out another clue. Everyone was in on it at this point. The ghosts hissed at the townspeople and dove right for the children. They wailed in their dreams.

Possessed.

The mayor groaned along with the rest of the villagers. "gently caress it, keep my son." Said the town barber. "I'm movin!"

Half of the townsfolk moved towards the Sentinel while the others ran to their children. "YES! Yes!" The mayor screamed. "Lornus be praised! The black sun resurrected. Kill this man and be blessed!" He began cackling in the Sentinel's grasp. The people moved in almost slow motion. The children howled slowly.

Time almost stopped it was moving so slow. Time for the Sentinel to do almost anything. Batman bulletime!

"Oooh. You aren't one of those racists then from the animal wars." The Badger said in relief. "Well the conjunction happened long ago maybe 2000 years after your time grandfather. Lots of tower apprentices in those days." She laid down her horn. And scratched her ear. "As you might imagine they found some magical whosit. Then whatsit for themselves. They all fought and then the conjunction happened. Time and universes sort of...mashed." Her eyes popped at the coins.

"Let me see those!" She oohed and aahed. She ate more grubs. "I'll be honest in this appraisal. I cannot afford one of these. Mint."If these were a dollar in your day they're worth several thousand times that." She pushes over a stack of paper bills with a picture of a mathematician rival of Pablo's on it. He'd be long dead by now, but what could he have done to get minted on money? "I have 10,000. It's all I've made this month. Just one coin." She licked her Badger chops at the thought of all those honey covered grubs.

The talking Badger believes you. Your coins are all the proof she needs.

"Greetings mortal!" The beast booms. "For the freedom of the multiverse, I challenge you to a game of-" the chess pieces go flying as Ad-Lez attacks, wounding Dagruule in the process. "Ow you dick, you're ruder than the last guy!" The lovecraftian-faustian nightmare bellowed as it charged Ad-Lez. It was only then that the plane began to shift with bizzare physics. "I made this place perfect for one of you, I was so bored! Food and dice! Cards! Now it's ruined!"

It tries to crush you. It's party ruined. I will PM the cost to avoid it with a agile move.

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Armax whimpered. Either in pleasure or pain. Fluids flowing freely that the druids cleaned lest Bear show them his wrath for offending Davos the wonderous. Armax took the programming, not being the wiser. A sleeper agent, ready for a trigger. "Well, if I return without any information or if any of the boys seem disloyal or like we've been bribed, we're dead. He's a paranoid gently caress. If we had a sample of Intel that was real and he didn't have, he'd come to a meet for sure!"

Kan Deishu - Kell

As Deishu talked they all returned to the village. The people agreed to be trained as knowing how to fight was better than being enslaved.
"Wu Xan? This isn't Wu Xan. It's kind of far away. Does this mean you won't help us?" The women and children looked at Deishu forlornly.

The villagers know you're lost, but told you the truth anyway even if it means you can't help. They do hope you would stay and help them learn to fight.

"Yes. A lucky day for me and my dogs of war. Come!" The ragtag army tagged along behind Hyalophor to the enemy territory. They came upon them lined up on the high ground on a ridge.

Lord Humongoid bellowed, "Last chance you dogs. Last chance to walk away. Just walk away and Hyalophor here will spare your lives..."

The jeers and laughter at Hyalophor's expense echoed from the enemies. "Whoo looking pretty. Maybe you can be my girlfriend! Ooooh!" Other catwalks and jeers followed.

An army at your back with the enemy having the high ground. Options options.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 1, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

"What? No!" Deishu responded, amazed that they'd think that. "I mean it makes it harder, as I can't promise that you'll get help but I have to help you out. It wouldn't be right if I just abandoned you." He shook his head slightly in confusion, what poor country did these people live in where they couldn't assume basic decency? At least now he knew why things had been confused and weird at the start. Why hadn't Pater returned him home? It was strange, but maybe it was the influence of the evil spirit that shared Pater's body.

"Gather people in the centre of town in an hour. The slow form exercises can be done by young and old, they're good for keeping healthy and they're very gentle on people with injuries or difficulties moving." He said and went to have a look around the village, considering things and evaluating what he'd need to teach them and help them with. Kan Deishu was not exactly a military strategist, but he had studied a lot of the philosophy of older generals and strategists. Learning about war and strategy was important to help avoid it. He'd never really appreciated the lessons at the time, because he'd always assumed he could just go and beat up the commanders of an army personally and make them retreat. But maybe he could remember a few of the lessons now, when he actually needed it.

Going to look around and then training montage!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos closed his normal eyes and opened his third eye, reaching out with his powers, he attempted to use his divination to see a secret of enough value to lure out Squealer. Once he had that he would send Armax back with it, alone, along with the belief that their ambushed had been foiled before it began and the rest of the guards had been killed. Armax would also relay, that the druids had told him were deeply offended and that unless Squealer came to a location Armax would lead him to in order to apologize and beg forgiveness, they would simply provide their secrets to his enemies.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha

The world slows to a crawl, his adeptly-honed reflexes taking up the slack as adrenaline fills his system and he feels the telltale rush of an impending battle. He took this moment, this brief lull in the flow of the world, to center himself and plan out the next moves.

First, he had a most pressing goal. The children. In his mind, he heard the sussurant whispers, the sultry voice just beyond the edge of his consciousness. He knew she had followed him. Why she was doing so was not his to know, but he knew she was there. And so he followed the first rule of knowing - "to know something, the easiest way to gain what you seek is to ask the one who does."

"Death," he mused, "I know you are here, to see your flock home. What must I do to ensure their safe passage, to keep my oath to them?"

And now, the next moves.

A forward dash into the throng. Extend the right hand and duck the punch, catch the first one in the gut. Rise, drive the elbow into the second one's jawbone using the Art of the Monkey he'd learned from another apprentice in the tower - a self-styled master of the mystic arts, like Deishu, but not nearly so suffused with power. Kick out behind, catch the one that's going to turn and go for the choke hold. Headbutt the fourth, drive a palm into the solar plexus of the fifth. It was a calculated dance, and one whose steps he knew more intimately than all save the most learned masters of martial arts. He estimated fourteen seconds to dispatch these fools non-lethally. Eight if he revised his plan and chose to kill them.

As his mind continued to run, calculating every strike he'd need to immobilize the mob before him, he turned over the Mayor's words in his head. "Black sun." "Lornus." These words meant nothing to him. But they had told him of a wizard who may know of the curse. And if the wizard was in their employ...well, he would deal with that momentarily, but other tasks needed to take priority. He burned the words into his mind, for future reference.

The dust raised. The leader of the mob's foot struck the earth.

The lull was over.

The wind blew hard and strong, the town's bell chiming one solid peal.

The Sentinel sprang into action, spinning around to fling a razor-keen blade into the Mayor's throat as he pivoted into a graceful sweep. He ducked low, the leader's punch sailing over his head as he slammed his right arm out, catching the man across the gut and dashing him to the floor, a retching and coughing mess. He rose up, one knee bent, driving his elbow straight up, into the jaw of the blacksmith rushing him with hammer in hand, and sending him a foot into the air to crash unceremoniously onto his back. His left leg lashed out behind him, booted heel catching a farmer in the ribs with a crunch. Gripping the next assailant's collar with one hand, he slammed a vicious headbutt into the man's face, leaving him to collapse with a gout of blood spurting from a now-broken nose. Whirling to face the next assailant, he threw his palm into the man's solar plexus, knocking the wind out of him and pushing him a good two yards back. A few moments and a few vicious strikes later, it was all over. The Sentinel stood victorious, and by his own internal timekeeping, not even thirteen seconds had passed.

Returning to the coughing, retching leader of the "vicious" mob, he hoisted the man up by his collar and impassively stared into his eyes. He had no expression, merely the blank look of one who feels nothing.

"I will ask you this, and I will ask you this once. What is the Black Sun, and who is Lornus?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo sighed in relief, it was nice to be able to let the mask drop for a moment. "Miss Carla the fact that you're happy to believe my outrageous but truthful tale, which I personally wouldn't have believed myself, is a real relief right now."

He pushed the best quality coin across the table for Carla and put the rest back into his pouch.

"And if it's alright with you, I'd like the rest of the payment to be in information. Mostly, current history, there are some things I want to make sure I know before I head out. Do you have a backroom? I could really do with a cup of tea."

---

Pablo agrees to the 10'000 cash pay out, and would then like to go into the back of the store and talk about things with Carla over tea. And maybe Grubs because Pablo cannot remember the last time he actually ate (Well when you spend a couple of months living by your wits on the run from witch hunters, you learn not to be too picky.)

Pablo would be interested in knowing what his Mathematician rival did to get so famous, but he would be more interested right now knowing what things like 'The big game' is, current fashions, recent history, confirmation that possible organizations that existed several hundred years ago no longer exist so he doesn't have to feel like he is one moment away from a cry of 'That's him! Get him!'. What is happening right now in other-words.

And also any thing at all referred to as a 'Word of Creation' anywhere in this place

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor takes the whip from his hip, letting it uncoil lazily, before waking it up, so to speak, with a quick crack. "Wakey-wakey, darling. It's show time."

The moth stares upward at the leader of the opposing force. "I'm afraid we're just not compatible, darling. It's not you, it's me. I'm famished."

With a flick of his wrist, Hyalophor strikes out with the enchanted devil whip, aiming to take the poor bastard by the neck and drag him down

Attacking the leader, throwin' down some points.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:siren:Phone posting!

Kan Deishu - Kell

The village wasn't much. Mostly homes and farms, there were no walls or ways to alarm the people to speak of. After looking around, Deishu begins to train the villagers. By the end of the week they were grasping the basic forms and moving onto more advanced moves.

No walls or defensive structures, no bells for alarms. Just houses. They take to the training well, due to the spirit of the great dragon's teachings.

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos soon saw a few things:
Tartara has been skimming from the Bull's other rackets. Big time.
"Laughing" Janos has been taking on other work from other syndicates to...amuse himself as it were. This is a big NO no.
Thomas Gravestone....has spared someone.That the Bull had marked for death. Interesting.

Davos had the information, enough that it was supported with detail that not even the squealer could ignore.

Armax came back to Davos, saying that Squealer agreed. He just needed to name the place and time.

The Sentinel - Eysha
Death looked at The Sentinel. But says nothing, her skull like smile the only answer that he needed. She pointed to the villagers then to the children. She slowly faded away, but The Sentinel knew she was still there.

"AhHHHH!" Said the mayor as the villagers fell in the aftermath of The Sentinel's moves. The children made no moves. "Lornus is the Black Sun. He is mighty and will ascend to challenge the dead gods and claim their thrones." Suddenly the mayor lurches. "Oh no. He knows I've told you. PLEASE I-" A hissing sound erupts from the mayor and the majority of the villager's ears as trillions of insects burst out of every orifice. The people writhe on the ground as they suffocate and lay still. The body of the mayor sits up, propped in place by the chittering masses of vermin.
"You've broken my toys, tut tut. I almost had them allllllll. They were but one facet on one jewel on my crown. Have this place. But know I will not tolerate your interference again SENTINEL!" The insects melt into goo and are soon absorbed by the ground. The ghosts leave the children, the guilty parties punished, if not by the Sentinel at least some form of justice for the dead. As the children wake up, they begin to cry. The remaining villagers trying to calm them. It is an emotional time, and the Sentinel had stumbled upon something....

Gwendolyn was standing still now. A statue. She didn't move or speak. Nothing to do for her.

Carla takes the coin and provides Pablo with suitable clothing. The big game was merely a fad. [think bloodbowl and a few other games thrown in] the rules were easy but the amount of statistics and probabilities and likelihoods were legion. Pablo found that not only could he guess the outcomes of the games quite easily but what may happen throughout the games. The witch hunters of his era were long gone, their uses quite useless when so many other magics and technologies had fallen into the world. The government had changed into a democracy and mathmagic while allowed now was very hard to accomplish. There currently was an election to elect representatives before a new leader could be elected, the university still existed of course; its graduates making the best candidates. As far as words of creation, the closest Pablo got was Carla's earlier story. Apprentices apparently found them and tried to use them themselves. Carla suggested Pablo try the library or university for more information.

The head falls off of the leader, the midget dead. A roar comes from the Baster having lost his Laster, the mentally challenged brute leaping to grasp Hyalophor as the two forces charged each other.

I will PM you the cost of a dodge to not take damage.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled and sent off a response, the meeting would be immediately, at a location in the forests outside of the town, not far from where his band currently resided. The lack of lead-in would prevent Squealer from having the time needed to set up any tricks, and as he was much closer it would give him sufficient time to prepare for Squealer's arrival.

Once Armas was sent off with the time and place for the meet, Davos had his thralls move to the meeting location to prepare. He could not be surprised again, he would have Bear oversee security, he had plans once Squealer arrived, plans indeed.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - Eysha

The Sentinel knew, at that moment, that something had gone terribly wrong with the world in his absence. This monstrous being could not be allowed to continue. He glowered at the skittering insects, stomping on one for good measure.

He regarded the villagers, and regarded the statue that once was Gwen, as well. She lived no more, but he knew of her plight. She had mentioned it, back in the tower. Dimly, it occurred to him that she was the second apprentice to fall - the man, Lucien, had never returned from the test.

"At least you weren't the first of us," he said softly, to no one in particular.

But he knew what he had to do. He looked back to the villagers that were left, holding their children and crying.

"Remember this, all of you. Remember the day your children were freed from evil. Remember my name - for I am the Sentinel, and I shall protect the innocent of this world to the last. And know this - should you falter, should you fail to raise your children well and return to your evil ways, every rustle in the shadows, every whisper on the wind, could be my blade. Bury your dead. Live your lives justly and fairly - be the good people you know you could be. And worry not of Lornus - I shall slay him, just as any other wicked man, and I shall put an end to the Black Sun."

He set off, traveling onward to the wizard's tower he had been informed of. Combined with the mayor's directions, he figured that it was an easy stop to make on his way to Tolliran - and who better than a wizard to help him with the plans he aimed to put into motion?

As he walked away, his mind churned. Who, or what, was Lornus? What was the significance of the Black Sun? And if this tiny village in the midst of nowhere was "but one facet of one jewel of his crown," what bigger facets could the Sentinel gouge to strike out at him?

These questions, and a million others, would be answered soon enough, he felt...

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor leaps backwards with a quick flap of his wings, rising into the air and out of reach of the crazed brute. Unconcerned with the fate of the soldiers who had came with him, the mothman cracks the whip again. "Not to worry, muscles. I wouldn't dream of leaving you without your better half; even I am not quite so cruel. Allow me to reunite you."

With a flick of the wrist, the razor-whip strikes out at the towering brute, aiming for his neck.

Spending points to dodge and continue the attack.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Kell

He felt conflicted. Deishu knew even with his best preparations, the village would probably suffer once he left. But he had a duty to Wu Xan, to his people and these people were not them. While this did not mean that he could not or would not help them, it did mean that he could not linger forever.

But there were a few days left before he needed to move on.

Firstly, Deishu kept an eye and gave some more tips and practice to those grasping the basics of more advanced forms. Maybe some of them would be inspired to be better, to become warriors. There was a lot you could learn and teach yourself if you knew the basics, and there was a town of people here. But more importantly was the lack of an alarm of some kind.

"You need a bell, or a gong. Some way to let people in the village know there is danger and quickly. Something loud also warns people in fields and around the town quickly, you'll get a few kids or pranksters playing with it occasionally but the benefit is worth it. Now, what else...no walls...no moat...no nature ford...no valley or cliffs...well. Okay, so building proper walls will be kind of hard, but with enough wood you could probably protect some key important buildings if you needed to. Otherwise, well...it's a bit cruel and I would really recommend against it, but you can put wooden spikes into the ground around the village. But that can be risky and is cruel. It can give you time if you're dealing with an army or larger force, but other than that you're unfortunately just a small rural village. Your best bet in an invasion is to flee." He explained to a few people, those who normally took on the role of guards.

"Now, I'm going to show you some techniques to sneak and hide. This will give you an idea on how some of the lizardmen might sneak in and also can be good at dealing with little pranksters. Not that I would know about that." He said with an utterly straight face.

Hanging around for a few days to finish off giving some advice on keeping the village more secure.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Squealer's route to the meeting site was well monitored. Bear had multiple sentries layered and stationed everywhere he could think of. Squealer had a trio of toughs with him, he played with a bauble that glittered and tinkled. "That's him." Bear told Davos from a safe spot. "He wouldn't give that trinket to anyone. Word is that it was his mother's."

Peevishly and yet full of cowardice, Squealer called out to the camp. "Fine, I'm here. Ready to deal...I'm a powerful man you know! Not to be trifled with!"

Bear made a face. "He ain't no wizard. What do you want me to do, Lord?"

The Sentinel - The Wizard's Tower

The Sentinel left behind the village. A dark lesson for the new world. As he topped the rise to the next adventure, he could see a grey stone tower in the distance. A HUGE bonfire roared in front of it. An inferno really. The Sentinel could hear vain curses and shadow puppetry. Possibly an arcane ritual taking place....or maybe just maybe a sinister family barbecue.

"No0o0o0o." The piggish being squealed. Blood fountaining all over Hyalophor. The whip crooned and crackled like bacon sizzling on a skillet. But the brute did not fall. He did however grab Hyalophor's wrist in a deathgrip. "Gotcha shortie! I take your legs and you be the br@insss." It said with stinking filthy breath.

you take some bruising damage to your wrist, but you also damage the brute. I will PM you point info.

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

The people take the training well and soon have a wall started with bells outside each of their houses. As Deishu leaves he is met by the grateful villagers, tearfully they thank him. "If you ever have need of us or a place to stay we are here for you. Thank you, great dragon. Thank you!"

Deishu and his trailing 10 foot fluffy monster begin the journey on the road to his homeland. A few villages were on the way, but most hid from the dragon man and his monster companion. Word soon got out as Deishu travelled and he had another problem to deal with...

"Halt MONSTERS. You both go no further from here. I am Justicar Thomas and your reign of terror ends now!" A regiment of paladins stood to block Deishu's progress. The whimpering 10 foot pile of cute behind him curled itself into a fetal position. The paladins laughed and jeered at the cowardly beast.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

"There there, it'll be okay." Deishu says petting Slor reassuringly. Turning back to the Paladins he speaks.

"Greetings, Justicar Thomas. I am Kan Deishu, Great Dragon of Wu Xan. It is a pleasure to meet you." He said, bowing respectfully. Deishu felt no particular need or desire to oblige the thugs, but he wasn't too worried about being in danger from them. Given their swagger he was sure they were itching for a fight and justification for their thuggery. So he wanted to be extra nice and polite...just to spite them.

"I am trying to return to Wu Xan, could you please give me some directions if it is not too much of an inconvenience?" He asked politely.

Petty, cocky? Naaaahhhh.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

"This part is mine, as those men soon shall be." Davos stated as he signaled for Bear to wait. "I will take the lead, guard against potential treachery." Now that they had been lured into the open, the hardest part was over. With a pulse of psychic power, Davos overloaded the minds of the four men, then approaching the stunned men, his third eye wide, melting away the mental defenses of the men and leaving them in helpless trances. The three toughs would get the same improved reward and punishment programming Armax had. With a psychic prod, Armax's switch was flipped and his false personality was disabled. He would be tasked with helping the toughs learn to think correctly.

Davos' real focus was on Squealer. He intended to try something new, after putting the Bull's lieutenant deep into a trance he set to work directly altering the man's perception and personality. Once he awoke, Squealer would instantly know with absolute certainty that he was born to be Davos' slave, that his entire life had lead to this, and that he had secretly always desired it with every fiber of his being. He would suddenly recognize that his cowardice and paranoia were really just unconscious expressions of his fear that he would not live to see this moment; the moment when he was finally able to slough off his unwanted status as a person and fully and eagerly become Davos' property. Davos would become his entire universe, the only person who really mattered. Just the knowledge that he was owned by the three-eyed man would fill Squealer with a sense of servile contentment, and nothing would make him happier than knowing he had pleased his master. Everything that he was, every secret, every spy, every informant would be turned to Davos' service, and serving Davos would leave him with an intense feeling of fulfillment.

Before Davos woke the entranced man up, he would suppress any conscious memory Squealer had of being entranced, Squealer's last memory would be waiting after he had spoken, so that he could believe he had this life-changing revelation entirely on his own. Davos smiled internally at the thought of seeing how this new route of programming would play out, and then ended the trace.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

The paladins stop laughing. Their leader swaggers off his horse. "It speaks? Can't understand a word it says!" The paladins start laughing again. "Sounds like an animal." The paladin makes farting sounds with his mouth. "I say you're breaking the law. You're under arrest. The JUDGE will say if you can go. Unless you are a monster. So what'll it be? Speak slowly and clearly though." The paladins with him chortle.

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Squealer snaps out of it, an agent of Davos' now. "But, the information...Davos. Boss, what are we gonna do next?" The toughs with him nod in agreement. Davos was the only boss they had ever had, his interests were always their interests.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos looks down at Squealer with a withering glare, "Slave, you will address me as master unless I give you permission. I expect you to show me the proper respect at all times. If it happens again, Bear will handle your punishment." He glances at Bear confirming the order. "Now, first your name from this moment on is Slave until you have proven yourself worthy of a true name. Second, you will assist me in formulating plans to enthrall the rest of the Bull's lieutenants by providing whatever information might be useful to me."

He looks at the toughs, "You also must earn your names. For the moment, you are assigned to Bear's command, I have no doubt he will find a use for you."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

"But you cannot understand what I say. I could say such terrible untruths, such as that you are a slovenly and untrained group of thugs using a loose interpretation of the law to accost travelers for your own miserly gain. But as you cannot understand what I say, you would not have to worry should I say such a thing." Deishu said mildly, his expression and voice still respectful and calm.

"What. Law. Have. I. Broken?" He asks, slowly, carefully as if he was following their request. But it was really an excuse to treat them like idiots.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

"Yes master." Squealer looks down fearfully. "Here is my black book. It has all the people who paid the other lieutenants money, what their habits are and where the go." Bear kicks squealer.

"Forgot to kneel slave." Bear begins punishing him for his lack of...slavishness.

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

The paladin makes another farting sound. "Monsters are illegal. Come along now, no resisting." He motions for you to follow him.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiles at Bear, no doubt he would ensure that the slave once known as Squealer learned the proper attitude quickly enough. Davos took the book and looked through it, his next target would be Thomas Gravestone. He had seized the information network, next it would be time to seize the Bull's military forces. He gestured to Squealer to speak if he had anything to add.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

Deishu smiled. "Oh, if that's all the problem is..." he said and then transformed back into his human form.

"There we go. No more 'monster'. Are there any more problem?" He asked pleasantly.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hyalophor grimaces, making a face of pure disgust. "Ew, that doesn't sound very fabulous at all. I'll pass."

The whip cracks once more, all but whistling through the air.

Spending points to kill, feelin' meh so low-effort post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

The sounds of the slave formerly known as "squealer", Davos looked at the information about Thomas Gravestone. It would seem the enforcer was diverting funds towards...a house. Squealer couldn't get any agents even close to it.Gravestone was hiding something. Something big. Whatever it was he was feeding it. He personally went to shake down merchants for food and drink every monday after leaving a heavy guard on the home.

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

"Were-monster." The paladin rolls his eyes. "Come now or fight. Your choice."

• Locked thread