Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«17 »
  • Locked thread
A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Jacob - W. Boneway, The Spire - Hive CIty, S.E.

Jacob saw slivers of light fly into the darkness. He sends a thin stream of red after them. When it hits the wall, thinner rivulets spread out radially, looking for where claw meets wall. Blood should be able to fit between the two. When it does, he pulls to bring it down.

----------------------
Jacob tries to get blood in-between the wall and the creature, and pull it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Ok, I'm going to ask nicely. Everyone needs to match my location formatting as well as where you I say you are. This makes it easier to search the page for people in a specific place and time to cross reference what's been said before and what's happening now. If I need to ask again, its going to get messy for our heroes since location, especially in this game can help you or screw you.

Pablo - Idiot Board

The queen hisses, "No you fool! Do not wake the cyclops guardian! It-" But it was too late. The queen suddenly began running for the horizon in a very undignified manner. Pablo could hear her saying something as she was running. "-powers returned... Will make you pay!" The magic of mathematics began moving the knight. Its stone scraping the the board woke the cyclops immediately. It leaps to its feet and grabs its club, making a mighty swing. The statue (whoever it was is instantly pulverized), the cyclops narrows its eye and looks around, spotting Pablo almost instantly. A voice like granite grates, "Now now now, who do we have here. It would seem you've released one of my prisoners and tricked me into killing another. Tell me, before I kill or eat you: Who in hades are you and why have you come?"

He's awake!

Davos, Dan, and Dave - Ruined Spire, Armory, Room #3

Dave cleaves into the room, only getting the sword stuck twice in the process. He was learning its limits. The room had clawed marks all over the walls as if the people inside had tried to claw their way out. Emaciated skeletons and mummified remains showed that they likely had starved to death, not sinking into cannibalism and starving. There were a few leather bound books with pages made from something other than paper in them. A strange glossy material that seemed to preserve the words quite well. Davos couldn't read them and they characters on the pages made his head hurt more than it already did. Dan eagerly spoke, "We should get back, we've been making some noise and I don't want to end up like them." He pointed to the bodies.

Books, perhaps laminated?

The Sentinel, Jacob, Xozo - Ruined Spire, Bone Room

The Creature was struck by all. Things were quiet. Then it screamed. A large sound and the sound of breaking bones happened as it hit the massive pile of bones. This thing was huge, invisible, hungry and now angry. Big footfalls made footprints in the bones crump as it stumped towards the sentinel and Jacob. Xozo seemed to be off of its radar curiously, but it began to pickup speed. Its bellow and roars starting to make the walls shake. Perhaps this was the reason the structure was free of any insect presence. If something could make the hive steer clear of its territory, what would it do to them?

It's now very very angry.

Gwendolyn - The Outer Gate

Gwen tackles the guardian and he makes an oof sound as she hits him at the hips. Their flight path put them dead center for the gateway, when they hit it was as if the guardian hit the side of a mountain. Its as if the way through didn't exist for him. The guardian seemed momentarily stunned.

You can talk or try to keep killing him.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Kan Deishu - Ruined Spire, Vault

Deishu had not really come across a computer before, so he was completely unsure of what it was. He tried pressing a number of the glowing crystals at random to see if they did anything, and eventually would try pressing them in a geometric shape relating to balance and harmony. Or as close as he could manage at least.

If this did not result in anything of particular notice, he would take the opportunity to investigate the room more closely and see if he could find something he understood or could read.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"Take the books, they might contain something useful." Davos surveys the room, and then recalling the containers from his scrying, "Were there anything in those containers? Unless we can find an object of power to pass the test there's nowhere to go back to."

Checking the containers mentioned in the scrying attempt.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Sentinel - Ruined Spire, Bone Room

And that was just what he was looking for. As it stomped towards him, the Sentinel's face arranged itself into a grin - almost predatory in its nature, but still that of a man who was very clearly in control of the situation.

"Break for the door, NOW!" he says, flinging the vial of alchemist's acid directly at where the creature's screams are coming from.

As he takes his own backwards step toward the door, he frees a pouch of caltrops from his belt and deftly opens it, scattering the sharp metal bits across the floor of the room in the creature's path.

He hoped it would be enough to slow the thing down, if not kill it outright.

The Sentinel is throwing acid at the creature and scattering caltrops in its path. If Xozo and Jacob move to leave the room, Caleb will go behind them, but if not he's going to do everything he can to hold its focus until they do.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xozo - Ruined Spire, Bone Room.

The corridor had tempted him but he had little in the way of knowing where it would go, especially with the creature so focused on the two humans now. The noise that thing made was sending him on edge. He was not sure if they were harming the creature or merely stymied it but the shriek was some kind of hint of desperation.

"No, this way!" The Adjorugani rasped as he made a break for the dark room. He kept his eyes forward for any branching paths or an alcove, or an open door to another corridor, or even a doused brazier; even with that there was a chance to expose the creature. Its only strength was being hidden and it knew that and so its attacks had to be decisive. That would be good to know, but two other ideas had formed. One was to find such a room and trick the creature inside, then flee and lock the door behind. There was obviously some kind of method used to open it - Jasa the non-human did such a thing herself to open one door - and the Puzzle Sphere could help in unlocking the door itself. There was little time to align the Sphere for this new knowledge and hoped that using it like a proper amulet would suffice in unlocking that door when it comes.

The other idea involved an old story between Ojijiki, the local god, and a large feral lizard named the Hupia King. While the god was hunting, the lizard hunted him and thought him weak. With the aid of his pack of raptors the King flanked Ojijiki and caught him unawares. The god could kill one, but the Hupia King and its pack got the better of him and wounded him. Knowing himself to be outmatched the shaman fled for a cave he found to the south while the pack gave chase. He made it to the cave and so did the Hupia King who claimed the godkill for himself and made his fellow raptors wait outside. They would wait for two days and one night and there came no sign of the Hupia King. They thought that their King was killed somehow and gave chase in the cave to avenge their fallen leader. They ran as far as they could with their eyes guiding them through the dark and to their surprise they found the Hupia King charging forward, looking for an exit. And they soon realized that they were trapped in an endless passage by Ojijiki who used their own speed and sight against him to create that endless passage, for they paid no heed to their surroundings and so easily led

If there was such a branching path, he could try to do the same thing as Ojijiki; use the Sphere as an amulet to lead the creature down an endless corridor like the Hupia King.

Xozo will go down the dark room. Also some fluff.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob - W. Boneway, The Spire - Hive City, S.E.

The world shrank, and there wasn’t any more room for Pater, just for Jacob and the Thing charging him.

He transferred his knife to his left hand. It would be good to bloody the hilt, anyway. He started contorting his arms, the conceivably pleasing forms losing their grace to necessary speed. Intaking shallow breaths. Exhaling hard. He could feel heat building up in pockets within his body. He sent them down his arteries to his hand.

There was only one nation to ever embrace fully the old ways of blood. Through its terrible power, Holy Gauss conquered almost the entire world, and ushered in the blood-taboo when it fell. The corner stone of her power were her priests. It was their words which Jacob intoned now, calling on the authority given over to men when they first began to talk to their gods, when the only magic they had had to be wrung from their bodies with pain and ritual. His hand was hot enough to burn now, and as he spoke, he cut it.

Soon, there were no more words, one more cut, and his hand burned. He held it up to the death charging at him. With a final, vertical slash, he frees a spurt of blood, a plume of steam, and a spell.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob casts DISPELL!!!!

I'm working on a sigil and some words, but duty calls. I'll try and edit them in later today

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun

Pablo - Idiot Board

"Well Pablo, you could have helped no one, grabbed what you came for and ran. Now here is an angry Cyclops, he won't go away until you are dead. Deal with it." Said his Brain

"... With pleasure." Quietly replied Pablo, turning to the Cyclops

"I am Pablo de La Arrancha, Scion of Arabardy, and I had just intended to steal from you and get away with it. But now it appears as though I have been caught. Now my question, are you the kind of Cyclops with magic capability, or are you just all bulk. I would prefer the latter."

Of course, plans in motion. Pablo was taking a few pages from one of his manuscript, blank pages, a foot traced a circle on the ground, this plan would require some setting up. Pablo planned this from the start, and takes offense to any accusations that he is in fact, making this up as he goes along. The first move would be the most important, he kept that Cyclops' attention to him as a faint blue line traced it's way from behind him to behind the Cyclops, to eventually form a circle.

"How many times has this happened over the last few years I ask?"

Step 1, disorientate the cyclops, a solid light circle will be formed, the moment the Cyclops makes a move, Pablo plans on rotating it rapidly to throw him off balance, or at the very least buy him a few moments to continue with the plan.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2015 around 23:05

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

(Are we on the floor now or pinned upright against the portal?)

Gwendolyn begins punching the guardian, each fist impacting against its throat, despite the fact that it's not a particularly weak point for anything not truly living. She grunts between blows, "I don't hate people fulfilling their duty. It's admirable, even. It's almost regrettable that this. Has. To. Happen."

In truth, Gwendolyn didn't feel bad at all. Some small part of her realized that she was becoming more and more like the artificial intelligence she had fought in her previous life. Lack of any real emotion was just what came with the package. She gave a howl of frustration; not because she was frustrated at the prospect, but because she knew she should feel frustrated. It was all she could do to cling to her humanity. Gwendolyn brought her two fists together to bring down over the guardian's head.

Gwendolyn's bringing the pain train, with no particular defense in mind should anything go awry.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg0pcwT2MvU

The machine goes through a few languages, and then in one that Deishu can read.

Its live.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgRZnsAgKng

The containers yield a few books and some hard thin rectangle shapes with tiny spots of metal arranged on them. Dan and Dave gather it all into a small sack they made from some other non-perishable material. As they started to complete their work, sounds begin to echo down the halls. It could be footsteps...maybe. It's very far away. The eyes of the dead look at you. Staring. Dan shivers.

You get some kind of cards and books. Something comes..

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhEFKrgBVc
(Standing. Unless you backed off for a minute?)

The Guardian sagged against the wall as Gwendolyn began to deliver a punishing set of blows, he tried to block and dropped his sword as Gwendolyn brought her fists down upon guardian's head. As he fell, the Guardian grabbed Gwendolyn by the shoulder and twisted, throwing her to the ground as he staggered to his feet. "I. Think. Not!" It gritted its malformed teeth at her. The first signs of imperfection in its form. It turned back to pick up its sword and suddenly puzzlement appeared upon the guardian's face. It was gone. "What-" The sword exited through the guardian's chest swiftly. "..no.." but it was too late. The defeated guardian turned into dust, collapsing into nothing.

The serpent had changed its face. No longer was it foppish and sly.

"Jusssst like your exissstance. You're nothing." Harsh laughter echoed throughout the universe outside. The Serpent looked at Gwendolyn and smirked. "A bargain isss a bargain. Come. Come. The garden awaitsss." The serpent began to grow in size, its form becoming more fearsome as it gained entry into the garden. The skies darkened with distant thunder, the animals fleeing and a cold wind began to blow with increasing force.

A favor for a favor it seems.

Pablo - Idiot Board
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWJF85FB_4

"I'LL KILL YOU!" The eye blazed with anger as the cyclops ran towards Pablo. A short number of steps to be sure if not for his clevel magic the blow would have struck true. As such the cyclops had over extended itself giving Pablo some extra time to formulate his next move.

Danger!

Pater to Jacob

"What are you talking about boy? You all haven't accepted the challenge! You left! Disgraced, never to return! You're telling me that wasn't on purpose? Wherever you are it isn't part of your test!"
Pater speaks. Forgot about that! Sorry!

The Sentinel, Jacob, Xozo - Ruined Spire, Bone Room
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_b8hbLDec0

Jacob's spell hit the creature just as the cold liquid hit the monster on its side, its dodge not quite getting it out of the way. It roared in anger and hunger. Its right leg was stuck to the door and it was glowing. Its invisibility wasn't quite magical in nature, but the spell and the Sentinel had the creature mostly revealed. In the light everyone could see it. It was massive. Easily 3 meters in height, it was a horror show as it began breaking and ripping itself apart to continue coming at the rest of them. Knives and caltrops didn't stop the beast as it starting bleeding while it ripped off its own leg and parts of its body. It began stumping forward using its arm to keep it self in motion. Speeding up. Panting. Breathing. Almost as if it was chanting Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.

Xozo cast his spell, Jacob and The Sentinel suddenly gained a small insight along with Xozo. In his desperation the sphere was affecting them all. The room was clearly and firmly a location known to their minds. The spell would work to trap the creature in an unending loop, but only if all three of them went along with it. The side corridor was small enough to let them through and to impede the beast. Amazingly the beast stopped to take a breath and then it howled. The agony it must have been in. Slowly and with bones and flesh crackling, the beast's leg, side, arm, and flesh began to heal. The creature made sounds of animal pain, if it had once been humanoid it had long ago left that behind.
Its neck began to split and the beast's head blew off in a shower of gore as top part of its chest cavity began to grow into a fanged maw with only one purpose.
~Eat~.

The creature is reforming into a form better suited to hunt and kill you. It is still hurt, and damaged. The energy to reform has to come from somewhere. Now it wants to replenish that energy. You all know where the lockable room is, and that all three of you must re-enact the chase of Ojijiki, the local god if you want the spell to work.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Sentinel

Right. Sudden insight from the depths of nowhere. But it was the best option he had at this point. Some deity, perhaps, an Ojijiki, had trapped a pursuer using a spell to wander in an infinite cave.

And now, running that same wild goose chase was the only thing they could do to escape from this fanged maw of hellish death.

"Gods above," he mutters. "Gods a-feckin'-bove. GO, I'M RIGHT BEHIND YOU!"

He shifts his cloak, light from the cryomantic elixir glinting off his blades to try to gain the creature's attention.

"Oi! Ugly! You want a bloody snack, you're gonna work for it!"

And with that, the Sentinel exercised the better part of valor, with a quickness unmatched.

Caleb is going to break and run, sticking close behind the others! If they don't go, he's gonna go anyway, kiting the creature along.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"It's time to leave." Davos orders, and then makes a brisk pace back towards the lockable rooms the group had passed on their way in.

Time to get the hell out of dodge.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

quote:

<Deishu> Deishu speaks instead of types; "I am myself. I do not know all of what I am, or all of what I can be. I can give you a name if you wish."
<Computerrr> The computer beeps, then a slight hissing pop is heard. The machine writes "I can now hear you. Who are you?"
<Deishu> "Do you wish for a name, or to know who I am? One is harder to answer than the other."
<Computerrr> <A simple answer.">
<Deishu> "I was given the name Kan Deishu when I was born. I am known as the incarnation of the Great Dragon Reborn of WuXan."
<Computerrr> <Thank you Deishu. Where are the people?>
<Deishu> "Which people?"
<Computerrr> <THE People. The ones who live here.>
<Deishu> "I believe they are dead, or at least well hidden. Outside of the tower this place is overrun by Asura who take the form of insects."
<Computerrr> <The INVADER(s)>
<Deishu> "They appear to be quite formidable. I might even be in danger should I fight a great number of them."
<Computerrr> <My purpose is lost then. Where is commander Korlo?...Or his remains.>
<Deishu> "I am unsure. There remains of people in the city have been worn by great time, identifying them is difficult for strangers such as ourselves. One among us may be able to identify the Korlo you speak of, he seems to posses the ability to converse with the spirits of the dead in some manner."
<Computerrr> <Unknown ability. The uniform. It has something I require. Then the spire can fulfill its purpose and I can deactivate at last.>
<Deishu> "What is the purpose of this place, spirit?"
<Computerrr> <I am a TX-415 logistics and defense grid warden version .. I do not know "spirit". The original purpose of this place was to produce weapons for use in wars with neighboring cities. One such creation has kept this spire free from INVASION. The last and greatest weapon is located at the top of the spire. It will fill the cave and remove all foreign INVADER insects.>
<Deishu> "Ah, so you are a Daeva, a spirit that serves the order governing the arts of war and self-defence. Will my companions and I be safe once you fulfil your purpose?"
<Computerrr> <I do not know. I will no longer function and be able to see it. These halls haven't been this busy in ages.>
<Deishu> "What is the object from this Korlo that you require?"
<Computerrr> <A ring.> A picture of a symbol appears. <It will have this insignia on it. Oh dear. It would seem that the biologic terminator that I engineered has found resistance. I will direct it to follow the source and eradicate it.> A tiny warbling tone, like the sound a whale would make echos throughout the halls.>
<Deishu> "I am unsure of what you said, but it sounded like you have created a servant to protect this place? What does it look like, so I can leave it to its task?"
<Computerrr> <Oh, well it changes forms to kill. It will most likely be something of a monster to normal eyes. In any case, once you find the ring. Insert it into the nuclear detonator.> It shows a helpful picture of a yellow box on a large object with a hole for the ring. <Once its active the whole hive will be gone.>>
<Deishu> "Detonator, is this building filled with fire powder?"
<Computerrr> <It is filled with highly enriched uranium. There will be some fire as a byproduct.>
<Deishu> "I do not know of what you speak. Is it some manner of spell?"
<Computerrr> <Science. Though to one not of science it does seem like magic.>
<Deishu> "Oh I know of science. It works like magic, but does not access the celestial vectors. It is crude, and easy to offend the heavenly throne when used with poor judgement. In WuXan we use both harmoniously."
<Deishu> "I will seek out the ring for you and allow you to return to the great wheel spirit."
<Computerrr> <Appreciated. I shall follow your progress with interest. Thank you.>
<Deishu> "Before I depart, I would ask what you know of Pater and of Yig."
<Deishu> "Master Pater has sent us to this place to be tested, although we remain unclear of the nature of the test. I had hoped you might have insight into this for myself and my companions."
<Computerrr> <Pater...>
<Computerrr> <Oh yes. He did visit the palace before they took the queen as a pet. That is all I know about the time before.>
<Deishu> "Thank you for your assistance. I do not know if we will speak again before I ascend to my full inheritance, but if I do not I pray for your fulfillment and peace."
<Computerrr> <I shall be watching your progress with interest. Take care>.

Deishu was not sure what magic the spirit was going to do, but it seemed he would require the services of Xozo's puzzle box or Jacob's strange and unsettling rituals to assist it. He had a task though, and the spirit did deserve to be allowed to rest after sleeping this long in a place long since filled with Ashura who had killed its original binders. The contract would warp it until it too became Ashura, and as the Great Dragon it was his duty to prevent this from coming to pass.

He left the room and went to find the pair, they had been together last he remembered and he so hoped they would.

Deishu leaves to go and find Jacob and Xozo within the tower.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Gwendolyn followed behind, not in the least perturbed by the snakeman's transformation, or the rapid weather change as they stepped through. The barest hint of a smile appeared on her stony face as she glanced up at the blackened sky.. "It's starting to feel a lot like home. Were you injured at all by that attack? I have some knowledge of healing should you need it."

Was the guardian's sword discarded? Taking it if it was. Otherwise, following the serpent and offering aid.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob - W. Boneway, The Spire - Hive City, S.E.

Jacob saw its injury. Its limps perked up his predator. He gave a huge smile, his right had raised and tracing the figures which would express his natural malice.

Triangle. Swish. Circle. Slash.

Almost done. He closes his eyes, and sheaths his knife. He runs his freed hand across his eyes, nose, and forehead, leaving a bloody streak. He opens his eyes.

I am Ojijiki

Outward Spiral. A pointing finger.

"You, hungry one. You are bigger, and stronger, and faster, but I curse you with death. I say it now that you will Bleed. I hold your heart in my hand, and I'm running away with it. If you get me, you will live. Otherwise, you will die. Catch me if you can."

With that, he turns, and sprints after Xozo.

He didn't reply to Pater. He tried to give him sight and sound, wholesale.

------------------------------------------------------
Jacob casts Bleed, and plays his third of Ojijiki

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xozo - Ruined Spire, Bone Room.

The Adojurugani pulled the Puzzle Sphere out of the satchel to clutch in his right hand again. His thoughts were on the Puzzle Sphere and the strangeness of its happenings, that confounded scowl had still not left his face. The moment that creature was trapped is when he would take a fine gaze at the Sphere, hopefully in a private room without any prying eyes.

Still, there was the way the trap could be set and for now the humans have been playing along with this. This was good but it did not allay his suspicions. As long as they kept a distance from the creature and vanish from his eyes the trap will spring. Xozo kept a focus on building that loop and hoping his feet carry him fast enough.

Let’s play along with this tale, and trap ourselves a creature.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2015 around 18:22

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Deishu & Davos, Dan, and Dave - Ruined Spire, Elevator Entryway

Moving back the way he had come to go find Jacob and Xozo, Deishu almost collided with Davos and company. Having two directions covered, and knowing where Jasa went narrowed down the choices of paths to find the others.

Davos and Deishu you can interact if you wish, compare notes etc.

The Serpent had dropped the sword, the fire going out leaving a glassy black metal blade gleaming in the darkening universe outside the gate. Gwendolyn swept it up, it didn't glow with divine or demonic fire but it looked eternal and she could feel faint magic in it. Perhaps the wielder had some other channeling force to make it erupt in flame. Interesting. It might do more than that, call it woman's intuition the one thing that hadn't changed with her form.

The serpent looked at her holding the blade and reponded to her question. "Hurt? Oh. That. Not really. I couldn't have beaten him in a stand up fight. Rules you know." He shrugged. Massive black skeletal wings were crackling and glowing from its back now. "No need for healing. I've got everything I need. Right here." Motioning her to follow it led Gwendolyn to the twisted tree. "Ah, creator's folly." Delicately the clawed hands picked with nails like swords until it came upon a single blackened and rotted fruit. The serpent extracted a seed. "This. This is what you came for. Don't lose it. The one who needs it will not be merciful if you do."

The tree began to twist and moan, turning into a massive blackened throne. The serpent sat upon it and an instrument appeared in its hands. Soon it began to play, a melody both haunting and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEhzSCIHIg
YOU HAVE GOTTEN: The Seed

Xozo, The Sentinel, Jacob - Ruined Spire, The Dark Place
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdgsoM_sIw

The creature bayed as Jacob ruined its blood, the cells reforming into a mass of tentacles still attacked and growing longer as more blood was pulled from the creature. The Sentinel and Jacob harried the beast and taunted it just as the tale once said. Every twist and turn, every thought and burst of speed, it wasn't long before the trio fell into the hiding place and Xozo's spell closed the loop outside trapping the baying monster in an eternal tunnel. The door locked with a *snick*. The light from the Sentinel's belt made faint illumination, dare he shake it again to provide more light? Jacob panted while Xozo stared at his sphere in a corner, blocking the others from view. It was a medium sized room, a square black mirror surface sat on one wall, a table of gems glowing softly in front of it. Tiny switches littered the table near the gems. Faintly Xozo and the rest could hear the beast out there, somewhat near but eternally far away. Multiple pieces of metallic furniture were scattered around the room, as if the occupants had left in a hurry...

You have outsmarted the beast! Mystery room!

I am Communist fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2015 around 23:03

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob - Mystery Room, The Spire - Hive City, S.E.

Jacob takes a seat, and wipes the blood off his face. The cuts on his hands were already fading behind his ritual scars.

When he catches his breath, he investigates the gems.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

"Right. Thank you. I suppose the most practical thing to do now is to head back so that never becomes a problem. But first, I am a woman of my word; do you planning on staying here? If not, I have a proposal for you. I was sent here by a man named Pater, to find an object of power..." Gwendolyn holds the seed up to inspect it. "...Which you have graciously provided. Perhaps you'd like to return with me? No doubt there is far more entertainment to be found elsewhere. You may do as you wish once you arrive."

Gwendolyn opened her mouth and tucked the seed inside, under her 'tongue.' Curious that a former statue would have a human shaped mouth.

Gwendolyn inspects the seed and attempts to recall the way home, with or without the snakeman.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Davos, Dan, and Dave - Ruined Spire, Elevator Entryway

Davos quickly greeted Deishu, and then added, "We can talk once we've found someplace more secure than a hallway. There's something moving through the halls that isn't one of us, so let us take the advise of the scavanger and find a locking room to use." Davos then leads his thralls, though he once more takes on the fiction that they are employees or some other form of underling and makes his way towards one of the rooms Jasa described in order to find a location to bed down for the night in.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun

Pablo - Idiot Board

The Cyclops stumbled, it was a brief moment, but a moment is all he needed, he started scattering around papers, when the Cyclops looked like he was straightening up, he initiated stage 2.

He put two hands together channeling energy, and produced a blue orb in his hands "16 Cuboid Prison Stratagem"

He casted the orb forth, 16 light blue squares formed around the cyclops, within a brief moment, they extended from the floor, forming a selection of solid light pillars surrounding the cyclops.

Step 2 was limit movement, step 3, limit movement even further, he reached a hand out to the pillars he had created.

" 16-Fold Imprisoning Contraction" He clenched his fists, the pillars flashed briefly and as one, surged inwards toward's their captive prisoner.

Trap the Cyclops, continue to throw around rectangle paper, when everything is in position Pablo will attempt to coup de grace.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"Oh that, that will be the spirit's observer spirit. It said it had found resistance, and that it would look like a monster to us. Perhaps that is it." Deishu replied rather calmly to the news Davos game him. "Have you seen the strange blood mage or the one with the puzzle? I need to search for a ring for the spirit, it will enable it to cleanse this place of the insect Ashura."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Davos, Dan, and Dave - Ruined Spire, Elevator Entryway

Davos laughs, "Just come with me, and we'll discuss what you need, but not here. I don't care if its a monster or a spirit or anything else, I don't particularly intend to get torn limb from limb. So we can discuss your particular need further once we're somewhere secure."

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xozo - Ruined Spire, Mystery Room.

He was first quiet, mentally spent from carrying out the deed. His hands twisting and perusing the Sphere to ‘fix’ this sudden quirk it had developed. When he discovered the ability to grasp knowledge in the Sphere of Ojijiki, Xozo had felt a pride in knowing something that none of the Adojurugani - not even the best shamans and Cryptomancers - could know. The experience had filled him with a pause that he had only scratched the surface. That was a mixed feeling for him; it meant that he had not destroyed the power of the Puzzle Sphere like some feared he would, but that his sense of control was shaken.

His head turned to the exit as he deposited the sphere back into his satchel, and threw the bone that his hand clutched aside, making a clatter against the stone floor. He had expected the creature to start clawing at the door like the nonhuman Jasa had spoken of, and that combat would begin again. Then he realized what he and the party did and out of relief, Xozo laughed. He laughed for a long time; at how they had repeated what Ojijiki had done; at how very close they were to death; at how they were far and away from their own homes in this test that sadistic old man gave to them. The Cryptomancer would eventually relax and his terrified fit ended with a sigh as he took in the situation.

“We now have time to think.” He hissed aloud. He wanted to say more like how they and the rest of the party could freely explore the Spire without impediment, but he still recalled how Jasa had overheard his comment the first encounter. The Cryptomancer did not want to chance his voice reaching her ears in case she wants to cash in the favor she said they owed her...

Going to examine the Puzzle Sphere for a brief moment before turning his gaze to the front door in case someone enters.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Sentinel - Ruined Spire, Mystery Room

The light from his Cryomantic Elixir guttered out, not to be shaken again. He breathed out a heavy sigh, thinking as he did so.

"Yeah, thinking's not too bad of an idea, mate. Like for starters, where the hell are we? And then, how do we get out of here?"

He dimly thinks to himself again.

"Right, and we haven't seen the rest of the group that we were called in with. How do we even know for bloody sure that this IS the test? How do we know we didn't just walk straight into some deathtrap Pater had set up for those who disobey him?"

He squats, knees bent and tracing a line in the ground with the blade of one of his knives.

"Gods above, we've put all of our feet in it this time, haven't we?"

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Jacob - Mystery Room, The Spire - Hive City, S.E.

He was still sitting on the weird chair. It was taking longer than he'd thought to catch his breath.

"I've really got to hand it to you, Xozo, you've got one hell of a sphere, there. And a hell of a house hold god, too."

He taps his forehead.

"Pater was talking to me. He claimed not to know where we were, but I have my doubts about that. I lost him during the fight. Here, let me see if he's still there."
----------------------------------------
Jacob momentarily forgets about the pretty jewels, and tries to see/feel if he still has a connection to Pater

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Luicen and Meadow - The Village from the Safer path
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niwrr948_OI

"Where should we go?" The Girl repeated herself. Time seemed to slow for Lucien as the world started turning to dusk and twilight.

DDwarf you ok? Just showing I haven't forgotten ya!

Gwendolyn - The Garden, Innocent no longer...
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9n_tl0Oi4Q

As Gwendolyn thought of the question as she put the seed in her mouth, the answer was clear but not visible to her.
"You can get out any time you like. But you can never leave." The Serpent whispered.
Gwendolyn began walking, as if following an elusive dream. The Serpent nodded to her back as he sat upon his throne. The world around her began to fade and she felt a small pang of something lost that she might never truly regain leave what was left of her soul. The small droplet of moisture unnoticed as it left her eye, just condensation from the wind. The portal yawned before her, the forbidden knowledge in her mind teasing her with something before yanking her through.

Gewndolyn soon found herself in - Pater's Hall, Pater's Tower

Pater looked at Gwen, mouth agape. He started to clap. "Well done. Well done girl. You know you're one of the first to complete your task this fast. Pater cocked his head, as if listening for something. "So, what have you got for me?"
You have returned to Pater's Hall!

Xozo, The Sentinel, Jacob - Ruined Spire, The Dark Place
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1I20ua7f4

Jacob can suddenly hear Pater talking to someone. It seems that one of the other apprentices returned, but he doesn't know who. As Xozo examines the sphere suddenly he feels...punished. Then it hits him. The mother of all headaches, he feels sick and nauseous and slightly faint. The orb suddenly shifts configuration, locking him out. For the moment. The Sentinel can hear the wailing of the beast getting ever more distant, as if its path and theirs in reality have been forever forked.

Jacob can still speak to Pater, but for how long? Xozo has leaned heavy on the orb, while not locked out forever he is out of it for the moment. The Sentinel can hear the beast getting more distant, perhaps the trick severed its path from theirs? What could be outside now?

Pablo and the Cyclops- Idiot Board
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofd-uH30KZk

"BAIL DENIED!" The Cyclopse broke through 16 Cuboid Prison Stratagem but then his arm got ensnared with the pillars of the 16-Fold Imprisoning Contraction. Growling the Cyclops whipped his club in a throw, the whirling mass of wood (barely) but still clipping the side of Pablo's head. Pablo went down in a heap. The swearing of the Cyclops getting louder. The White Queen suddenly appeared by Pablo's side, hoisting him up as best she could and supporting him, "Come on, he's just awakening. You think that a being that can imprison arch-mages and power hungry warlords from across the multiverse is just a simple Cyclops? What you see is just a mask! Hurry and come with me."

Pablo could stay and fight or go with the White Queen.

Deishu & Davos, Dan, and Dave - Ruined Spire,
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Tsezcm8yA

As Deishu and Davos entered one of the rooms, Dan and Dave began feeling all over the walls to trigger the door release. Seemingly at random, the door closed and locked with a *snick*. The room was pitch black. Cursing, Dan produced some tinder and flint and got a small stick burning. In the small amount of light, the walls of the room could be seen. There were scratches all over them. Swallowing Dave looked to Davos for something, anything really.

You have a safe and secure meeting place.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"Neither the strange puzzle box man nor the man with blood rituals are here." Deishu observed with a raised eye-ridge.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xozo - Ruined Spire, Mystery Room.

Hearing those words would have made Xozo tense with suspicion, but the circumstances left him with a state of quiet; could only nod at the humans’ words in some form of agreement. The lack of a goal beyond simple survival began to frustrate him as events began to take their toll on the Cryptomancer. His mind started to wander for a clear goal when the headaches came. Xozo’s eyes squeezed shut, both his hands clutched his skull in a vain attempt to reverse the sheer pressure against him, and it felt like what he knew was being drained out of his head. The jaws immediately clenched and all the blood that was in his head felt frozen solid. For a startling moment he had forgotten the Sphere that *clacked* onto the floor as it changed and rotated on its own.

“Pardon…” He forced the words out of his mouth as the pain tore from his focus. “If Pater has any insight… for this test he gave us… now would be the time…”

One eye squeezed open to catch the Puzzle Sphere discarded from his body and moved to put it back in his satchel. His vision felt blurry and it became hard to make out anything beyond the two humans in the room. He wanted rest more than anything else; even if it meant that he had failed this damnable test, a moment to sleep and clear his head would be wonderful. The knowledge of the layout of the maze; the image of the creature from before; even that little detail of that secret wall from long ago had lingered for far too long. He had thought that he had the will to hold on, but again the Cryptomancer was proven wrong. It had been a humbling experience as well as taxing.

His body began to lean against the wall in an attempt to give comfort without slipping into slumber.

“If he cannot answer this… Then… what is there to start with?”

Attempting to nurse the headache without falling asleep.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2015 around 06:35

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Pater's Hall, Pater's Tower

"Well, some questions, for one. Also this strange weapon and creepy skin that I'm currently using as a scarf. But my benefactor seemed to think this was what you wanted." Gwendolyn fished the seed out of her mouth and placed it in front of Pater. "Don't know what will grow from that, but if I had to hazard a guess, probably misery. I bet you know more than I do, though."

Gwendolyn set the rest of her gear aside, not that she had any need for either the sword or serpent skin. Her close quarters combat training was strictly hand-to-hand and knife combat, and well, she couldn't think of a possible use for the skin except as a fashion statement. She cocked her head and closed her eyes as she recalled the moment before entering the portal back to Pater's.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Davos, Dan, and Dave - Ruined Spire,

"No, they aren't. Let's just hope they found their own safe haven because I have no intention of going back out for the moment." Davos turns to face Dave. Making sure that Deishu was behind him and unable to see his face, Davos opens his third eye for a moment and forcibly fills Dave's mind with the intense feeling that as long as he loyally obeys Davos in all things, everything will be alright. The feeling would drown out any other emotion the man might be feeling, which should calm him down for a while.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2015 around 23:27

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Deishu was unconcerned by Davos' turning his back and acting oddly. "I need to speak to them. They may be able to locate the body of someone for me, and from there I might be able to retrieve a ring or find out what happened to it. Now...how to leave..." He began examining the walls near the door he had just come through to find a way to release the lock. Even if he wasn't concerned for his safety he did not feel like specifically making other people uneasy.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"Please don't open the door, not yet at least. It's possible I might have already found what you're looking for. The questions are, why you want it and what you're willing to give for it?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Deishu blinked slightly. "I already said that the war and protector spirit that I spoke to needs it to cleanse this place of the insect Ashura that infest it. It mentioned something about a new-clear detonator. I'm not sure what that is, but this spire does not have any gunpowder in it so we should be okay. It didn't say that we would be in danger. Perhaps doing so will allow us to finish the test. If not, we will have at least allowed the spirit to finally fulfil its purpose and return to the celestial order. If it cannot it too may become an Ashura." The dragon man explained calmly as if it was very obvious. Part of it he had mentioned earlier as well.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"Did it explain how an explosion large enough to destroy a massive city full of horrible bug monsters won't also kill us, because if nothing else, it will certainly collapse the cavern and trap us." Davos asks, he didn't really understand all the stuff about the celestial order, but he also didn't really care. "Also, you didn't answer my second question. What would you be willing to give to obtain the ring?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"It did not know what would happen to us afterwards, but if you want to know you could ask it yourself. The summoning ritual appears to have bound it poorly so it is difficult for it to understand me." Deishu replied. "Why do you need something to give me the ring?" He asked with some confusion however.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Davos, having closed his third eye turned to face Deishu with an incredulous look, "Because I don't know how it is where ever you come from, but I don't work for free. If you want the ring, you'll have to pay for it."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Deishu did not really understand why Davos was being difficult about this, if it needed to be done it needed to be done. "Where you come from sounds very strange, if you need to pay people to do things that need to be done. I am going to find the others, if you have the ring I seek then I shall talk to you about it then." He said matter of factly and turned back to searching for an exit.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Davos shrugged, "It's your funeral." He instructed Dan and Dave to let Deishu out and then relock the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun

Pablo - Idiot Board

"A mask? Then where lies the real power?" He looked at the trapped Cyclops in the distance and sighed heavily

"I feel like I have been told to do a puzzle and it's missing half of the pieces, fine let's get out of here, I want to know everything I need to know before I attempt this again"

Seriously though I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in my place, what should I be doing?

• Locked thread
«17 »