Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez Fo D’Negel - Pater’s Tower

Ad-Lez looked upon the wizard thoughtfully for a time, seemingly pondering on his questions. When the Wizard-Demon looked at him, he merely shook his head and made for the door. He had just too many bad experiences to trust the word of a wizard. Sages, on the other hand…

No questions, just going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBE4IqApdAA

The figure kneeled in the dirt, tasting it on the tips of two fingers and spitting onto the ground. Seemingly unbidden the fingers traced the main thruways in a rough map in the dusty ground. Ignorance-based magic was the rule of thumb here, though the main puzzle was where the inhabitants had gone. He walked along the outer wall, cutting down some grasses to see if any signs were left of a mass exodus, or of mass graves. He smashed a few pots to rummage for supplies as he checked the area over. If nothing else, other adventurers might have come. Much could be learned from their mistakes.

Looking for signs of life, any clues as to where the inhabitants went, any clues as to the current inhabitants. Not entering the city walls just yet.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0aEj85ifY

Having become oriented, acclimated, and gotten a feel for the city, it was time to follow the trail of the party. He did so meticulously; with hardly a wasted motion-yet at the same time leaving no stone unturned or item unappraised. The most interesting item aside from necessary supplies and some spare coin and gems left behind were intricately-knotted pieces of rope. In the moment of pause it took to consider the knot’s design the totem unwound itself. The lesson was learned: to understand the magic of this place was to unravel the magic of this place. Sometimes it may be the useful thing, a solution. It might also cause great ruin. It would take a centered, blank, and disciplined mind to any traps or puzzles steeped in this magic.

Still, the party was ahead.

Working on 100% completion speedrunning after the currently-unknown party, as well as attaining a mindset to properly deal with the magic of this place. Invoking Wisdom.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan

After much thought, he decided the best route would be the most direct. He walked up to those around the fire and, after a moment of trying to find his voice, called out, “Hile and well met, travelers. What brings you to the ruins of Adojurugan?”

Just walking up and saying hello. Easy peasy. They’re cannibals you say?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan; Adventurers’ Camp

Ugh. The Gohma’s weakness was always the eye, not its underbelly. This Justin was either a predator or a fool. The former was a matter of bladework. The latter had a way of sorting itself out. But these followers seemed to buy into his story. They seemed earnest and relatively pure of heart. He was honor-bound to see to their safety. It remained to be seen if they had potential and if this Justin had any skills beyond boasting. Each member of the party was sized up, Ad-lez picking out their apparent strengths and weaknesses as he sat listening to the stories as the fire died down.

Observe and report. Checking out the crew. Number, names, gender, build.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

He tired old hero rubbed his forehead. This crew was untrained, ill-equipped, and led by a delusional liar. “You lot seem to have enthusiasm. It may have been Fated that we meet. I am willing to train you come morning, if you have the mettle.”

“Your stories are full of glory. They do no justice the bitter hardships, the sacrifices, what it takes to stare the darkness in the world. It is no easy thing to fight Evil and corruption head-on.” He sighed a heavy sigh. “Your weapons are like a child’s plaything. Your armor is better suited for troubadours than adventurers. If you are to have any hope of seeing your quest through you must have better tools. Your task at first light is to find or fashion suitable weapons for yourselves.”

“Dale Ashe, make yourself a slingshot or at least a sling, boy. A dagger would do you well, with a buckler shield to boot.”

“Gauuow, Fashion yourself a staff. A whip would suit you when you can get one. In the coming days you should tame a bird of prey, there are several nested atop these buildings.”

“Jennah, hmm, let us see how you fare with a spear-and-shield pairing. Some strength training may be in order as well.”

“Elsiheel, find or craft yourself a better bow and a quiver. Begin making arrows. You will need them for practice.”

“Ulrich… I’m going to give your story the benefit of the doubt. For now. I was a rabbit once. There may be a remedy, but I do not have the Moon Pearl with me any longer.”

“Almathia, you may have some measure of arcane gift, but if you insist on disturbing the dead we will have to part ways. There are many knotted talismans left behind by the people who inhabited this place. I believe your….inexperience may be something of a gift in dealing with this kind of magic. Find a talisman that resonates for you.”

“Justin. You lack virtue. Reflect on that.”

With that Ad-Lez grappled himself up on a series of rooftops with a pair of spring-loaded grappling hooks. He would rest and watch the group to see if they heeded his words.

Going to drop some Wisdom on them and rattle them to test their Courage. They can either take heed and complete the objectives I have set(basic mundane weapons) or never truly begin their quest. Or you know, ignore me and go into the door somehow.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
[Could not find suitably relevant pic]

The old adventurer nodded. They weren’t great warriors, by any means, but now at least he wouldn’t feel wholly responsible if they faced danger. He explained his earlier understanding of the magic here, how it was counterproductive to fully understand it, and the basic tenants of cryptic mysticism and the god of such things. With that information conveyed, he bid them to watch and listen as he solved the puzzle to unlock the door and to face whatever was inside together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLJjAgyZG4o

Teaching them puzzle-solving 101.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan; Unsealed Door

“You are better prepared than many during their first delve, and doubly so more than you were yesterday. I shall wait here should you be forced to turn back, or you return victorious.”

Or should they not return at all. Leaving them to it.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan - Outside the Dungeon

A chill ran down Ad-Lez's spine. "I hate the ones that laugh maniacally." He thought to himself. The ones that had ornate plans or other reasons, well, those he could understand. Just cackling... the motives rarely made sense once they went mad. As for his pupils situation he wanted a shorter leash than the current situation now allowed. The door was well sealed, and now that he knew how it opened he could not simply forget it again. Ignorance Magic. Ugh. He rose up to the rooftops to look at the building and its adjacent structures, and made guesses as to the underground based on the street grid. A few well-placed explosives might reveal a secret entrance, or a clever move might allow access by other means.

Attempting to perform some advanced near-meta knowledge adventure-questing sequence breaking to get into this dungeon to ensure my pupils don't die from something besides their own stupidity.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Adojurugan;Mystery Temple

Beings powerful enough to give himself pause would destroy his...proteges in an instant. If he could spare some time to re-set some traps, rearrange things, generally slow them down while educating them, he could probably buy himself some time to investigate the situation ahead. Nothing necessarily lethal unless they were blind and stupid, but if they were unwary then they would get roughed up for certain. Also, Justin had to be cursed with the loss of speech. Humility is a hard thing for a soft noble to learn.

With the Dungeon set up to his liking the old adventurer crept along to try and overhear these powerful foes.

Just 1- setting up some puzzles and backtracking missions to make them take longer to catch up, 2 - Cursing Justin to lose his speech until he learns some humility. and 3- Adventure-Sneaking toward these powerful dudes.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

Gelatinous Cubes could be a surprisingly tricky foe for the ignorant or unprepared. Fortunately Ad-lez was neither. He launched a volley of ice arrows to freeze the beast.

I'm going to use ice arrows. Going to gauge the effectiveness before I smash or change tactics.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

No screams. That bodes well. For the matter at hand, Ad-lez's fingers went for his hammer before he paused. That much work was a young man's move. He instead reached inside his pouch for his bottle of lantern oil. Due to certain spatial enchantments on his bottle and that many monsters tend to excrete passable lantern oil, coupled with an obsessive need to collect anything of use, his personal reserve of flammable liquids(among other things) was likely equal or greater than that of most kingdoms. So, he poured out enough to coat the floor the iced cubes were chilling on a quarter inch deep and ran to the maximum distance he could. A single fire arrow should take care of most of them.

If a mere handful survived to test his students, so much the better.

Oil+floor+Safe Distance+Fire Arrow=Problem Solved.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

With a series of grapple-hook shots the old hero circled over the remains of the Legendary Gelatinous Cube. Something that big might have absorbed some treasures. Possibly even one of those runes he was supposed to be searching for. He took out a special magic-seeing monocle to help look over the area. He collected anything left of value he could find before that ache in his ancient shoulders told him it was time to move on in search of the other powerful guardians of this dungeon.

Grappling about, looking for treasure, moving on.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Mystery Dungeon

He gave a sharp and silent nod to her, peering over the edge of the pit while considering his options. He had come into possession of a number of magic crystals over the years. One from a sort of demigod-like whale whose curse of slumber he had broken. He laid back near the rim of the pit and placed the gem upon his brow. Willing himself to fall asleep he tried to seamlessly enter into the dream-realm of this Dagruule.

I need to go deeper.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Dagruule Mindscape

It was a battle of the minds. Though Dagruule held the home advantage, Ad-Lez was well-versed in looking into the Abyss. In this realm, he too was unconstrained by the mundane, the physical, and his own aging body. His mind, will, and courage were the true source of his power, and this Dagruule would have to face him head on.

For if this Dagruule was a indeed like a god here, he himself was still a Titan.

Going for a Final-Boss style fight. Shifting terrain, bizzare random mechanics. Like a Diablo III Greater Rift on steroids while tripping balls.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - The Legend of Dagruule

The scene of a feast and games of chance faded as Dagruule took on a more threatening form. Ad-lez moved in to strike again and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of tentacles thrown at him, the many facets of Dagruule’s will and power in his own Dreamrealm.

It spoke as it cast the old adventurer down, tearing at the mind and spirit of the interloper. “You are strong indeed, but within my dream I am beyond strength.” https://youtu.be/FrlymHW0qU8

Ad-lez awoke in a crater from his own fall, but he had little time to dwell on his failure. Spectres, wraiths, and barely corporeal beings were closing in on him. Judging by their tattered equipment he assumed they had been consumed by Dagruule, slowly drained of mind and spirit until they were these mere husks. Some even seemed to be from the same army, probably an ill-fated attempt to destroy the beast. He took up his broken sword and went to work.

Sitting atop the pile gear left behind from the vanquished, the Hero took up a battered shield and pondered his next move. He felt stronger after having felled these foes. Individually weak, they each had a tiny spark of… something within them. Merely putting the tortured souls to rest would not give him the strength to defeat Dagruule, whose gaze constantly swept across the hellish dreamscape, altering the land and torturing the fallen. It was a start until he could add to his plan.

It seemed an eternity, hunting down and slaying the mindless foes that haunted this land while avoiding the gaze of his captor. All the while that gaze grew more frantic, increasingly aware that something was amiss. There was a fortress of sorts within the realm, the gates remained closed until Ad-lez was certain he had freed every soul in the realm. Moving only when the now-omnipresent gaze blinked he made his way within. He found a clan of sentient wraiths within, servants of Dagruule who had been consumed the same as the rest. He slew every last one, and when he entered the treasure room Dagruule’s gaze finally broke through and caught Ad-lez in its snare. His shadow became animate, given spirit taken from Ad-lez in his fall.

Ad-lez eventually drew his shadow double into another room to break its link to Dagruule and defeat it. It was a harsh duel, and he won by what seemed to be a mere sword stroke. The next time Dagruule blinked he rolled behind the treasure chest and opened it. Within was an exquisitely crafted greatbow, and Ad-lez took aim the next opportunity he had. The great arrow flew true and pierced the Eye of Dagruule. A great roar erupted, the land shook and Ichor rained from the sky, and as it coated Ad-lez his wounds mended and his sword and shield were reforged. Where Dagruule’s Eye once hovered there was an impossible labyrinthian mountain. The hero began his ascent.

Ad-lez fought countless aspects, avatars, and incarnations of Dagruule on his way through the dungeon-mind of Dagruule. At the peak he faced yet more forms, until all that was left was a gaping void in roughly the shape of a man. It spoke again. “We fight to a draw, Hero. The ignorance-mages sacrificed much to trap me here, and you have set my power back...ages. You cannot finish me and I cannot consume you. Do we fight forever? Your body lies outside my pit, once it dies I will finish you. Leave now and-” A tear opened in reality, ocarina notes of protest ringing through. Justin, of all people, entered into the realm of Dagruule. He stared at Dagruule in terror as Ad-lez leaped to the fissure.

As Dagruule began a speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2k7Jf9xO3g , preparing to savor Justin. Justin shook before Dagruule’s final form. Ad-lez formed the tear in reality, a tear made of reality, into small sphere and rolled it at Justin.

“Finish him, boy. We fight these horrors because no one else can. Fortune, glory, it means nothing if we must suffer this one’s kind to live. That orb is anathema to him. He is from nothing. Finish him.”

Ad-Lez awoke to the sound of writhing and screeching in the pit below. As Dagruule’s mindless corpse went through its death throes Ad-lez became aware that his tunic was soaked with his own urine and waste. He was hungry, and dehydrated. He also noticed his wards around him, even Justin had returned, though he seemed shaken by his experience. Ad-lez turned his head and spoke. “I assume you tapped into my gem to send Justin. I should thank you.” He coughed, he knew he would need food and rest. He looked for the caged singing figure from before. She ought to be good for some exposition.

Well. I was told I could write the scene. It kind of grew wild on me but here it is.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - The Legend of Dagruule, Epilogue

Ad-Lez nodded to the treasure hoard. "Take as much as you please, but no more than you can carry. Dagruule is an Elder-thing. Even death just delays such a thing. There is only one item I will take for myself, if it exists here." He began to search for one of the sacred stones the Wizard-and-Demon had sent him out to find.

He found the group later. "If you seek more adventure, you are free to journey on your own. Defeat evils, slay monsters, topple tyrants. I...I may remain here a while. These ruins seem a fitting place to start an adventuring academy..." He left them again, deep in thought, and deeper in the search for the coveted magic WORD.

Looking for one of them sigil-things in the hoard. Pondering my next move, graduating my adventurers and letting them choose to stay with me or strike out on they own.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Treasure Pit, Adojurugan

After finding a place to wash himself and his clothes, and while cooking a dinner of foraged greens, some edible berries, and a snake, the old hero re-sorted his entire pack. It was a ritual of his after an adventure, finding a place for every item, cleaning and oiling and repairing. The bags of holding were good, though his oil supply was less than it had been for decades.

He turned to the stone. Forget. He traced the rune with a finger, turned it over. He surmised that it was likely a cornerstone of the ignorance magic. Beyond that he wasn’t too sure about it. Wizards were rarely trustworthy, too much darkle and tinct. The demon was no better, but likely more predictable. No, the safest place for the rune for the time being was with him. He settled in for a night under the stars while he pondered his next move.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

The Old Adventurer's breath stopped and his pulse quickened. The village under the ruined tower. Could it be? He had searched back in his youth, when he still searched for the challenges to test himself against. He never found it, and gave up believing it a myth. The Fatal Labyrinth... The rumors stated that the Great Platinum Dragon Beht had an amazing prescience, and phased out the tower and the village as madness overtook him at the dawn of the terrible war a thousand years ago. His mage's school reappeared every few decades to recruit new members and gather new subjects. The few who claimed to have been there had stories of terrible magics and warped creatures, abominations of life and of metal and and of magic. Even the layout of the tower shifted.

But then, he had thought the Wizard's Tower a myth as well, once. Who's to say that there isn't another Wizard locked in the game. Maybe even one who could help break the cycle if they could themself be saved.

That drat clicking again. Ad-Lez took up a torch to investigate before he went to sleep. It wouldn't do to be eaten by a grue or something while dreaming of great adventure. A rookie mistake, easily avoided.

Going to mundanely check out that clicking. Also ideas for the next adventure lets talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

The old Adventurer traced the path on the map. The world had changed, moved on in some ways. The scars of the Wars of Old remained, though. He had dealt with enough old curses, monsters, and ruins to know all to well how dangerous even the merest remnants of it could be. Perhaps the sea could serve as a shortcut, but then what if something on the path that seemed so clear to him was necessary to trigger the tower or his entrance to it? He threw sand on the coals of his fire and retreated to his hammock, his pack hanging above him. He would allow himself a single night's rest before continuing on his Journey. The Gods knew he had earned it.

Wondering about taking the sea route instead, taking a sleep to slowboat a bit. Also because I'm tired myself and sometimes I do blatant wish/fantasy gratification/fulfillment, dammit

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 23, 2016

• Locked thread