Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Is that the one where the guy reincarnates as a goblin that can eat anything? Supposedly the translation group actually wrote their own sex scenes and inserted them without telling anyone. I have no idea if it's true or not.

At the moment, the list of LNs that don't involve one of A) an otaku main character who may or may not B) be reincarnated/trapped/transported to a fantasy world/MMO where C) he develops a vast harem appears to consist of Spice & Wolf, and Baccano-guy's stuff. Oh, and All You Need is Kill I guess. Irrespective of quality and availability of professional translations could we get a list of stuff that doesn't include any of those things?

There's Fate/Zero (I gets you could argue it counts as a harem, but that's a stretch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

jellycat posted:

I like to imagine there are Japanese people shaking their fists about how light novels were better back when it was all Slayers and 12 Kingdoms and Kino's Journey.

People say this about young adult novels pre-Harry Potter so that sounds like a safe bet, to me.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sinking Ship posted:

I've been reading Mokushiroku Arisu recently (3 volumes released, all 3 translated). I picked it up mostly for it's protagonist who is kind of a huge dick to everyone and because it seems to be a tiny bit outside the norm for LNs. The plot starts out fairly dark (also sprinkled with Alice in Wonderland references) but by the end it gets decidedly more generic for better or worse. The setting is interesting, how it handles magic, how magic is acquired and applied is pretty cool, the strong point of the books is the setting in my opinion. Most people probably pick it up because it's edgelord click-bait with the whole 'Kill the girl, save the world' premise but I spent an hour or two reading it and it was good enough to keep me reading to the end and ultimately dropping like :10bux: on a physical copy from amazon.jp so take that however you like.
It's the same author behind Owari no Seraph, so I'll check this out when I next get a chance. Cheers!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Reading Only Sense Online, it scratches the exact itch I wanted it to scratch without being creepy about it, which is a rarity for web and light novels. Bears a lot of similarities to Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, in case you liked one or the other.

One I forgot about is Rokka no Yuusha which follows deals with six prophesied heroes who are supposed to beat the demon king. They're all identified by a mark on their bodies, but when they meet up there are seven of them. I haven't gotten too far yet, more of a back-burner project for me, but it was recommended to me and is well liked.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Reading Only Sense Online, it scratches the exact itch I wanted it to scratch without being creepy about it, which is a rarity for web and light novels. Bears a lot of similarities to Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, in case you liked one or the other.

One I forgot about is Rokka no Yuusha which follows deals with six prophesied heroes who are supposed to beat the demon king. They're all identified by a mark on their bodies, but when they meet up there are seven of them. I haven't gotten too far yet, more of a back-burner project for me, but it was recommended to me and is well liked.

Only Sense Online is probably the best of them. It doesn't take itself seriously unlike the SAO like stuff. And I actually really like the Sense system the game uses.

Yun just wants to craft in peace, and is a good deal weaker than the combat oriented characters.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

SerSpook posted:

Only Sense Online is probably the best of them. It doesn't take itself seriously unlike the SAO like stuff. And I actually really like the Sense system the game uses.

Yun just wants to craft in peace, and is a good deal weaker than the combat oriented characters.

LMS is worth a try if you like OSO. It's not as perfectly clean but it's comparable, helped by Weed never spending more than a book or two in a row with the same companions. There is a lot of combat, and instead of being chill Weed is an incredible power gaming sperge, but they scratch the same itch. I'd at least read the first volume.

The idea of a VRMMO with a strong AI making a magical, balanced, and unique experience for every player at the same time really appeals to me. I'd love to play one but I don't think I'll live long enough to see anything even close.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Tried out Shield Hero. It's kind of embarrassing to read with its constant "grrrrr I'm the only good person and nothing goes well for me gently caress everything", but the chapters are just the right length and I do enjoy how Naofumi has become a surrogate dad.

I am not looking forward to when this inevitably becomes a harem romance.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I found myself legitimately hating the princess and spear hero. I've only read the manga so far, but it does a pretty good job of making you hate them as characters, and not that many series manage to make antagonists that you legitimately hate. Normally it's just "this is the bad dude who wants to destroy the world/kick over sandcastles/steal candy from children, we must stop them!", so it's a welcome change.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Tried out Shield Hero. It's kind of embarrassing to read with its constant "grrrrr I'm the only good person and nothing goes well for me gently caress everything", but the chapters are just the right length and I do enjoy how Naofumi has become a surrogate dad.

yeah, dad, sure.

it's pretty dumb, i don't like shield hero.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I like Shield Hero but I can't defend it really, it is not very good. Just like most RPG inspired web novels it introduces too many characters so some folks just aren't written about even though they're assumed to be around (tanuki girl), some of the character descriptions get a little too creepy (little bird girl) and it gets a little too up its own rear end with the world mechanics (anything involving leveling up.)

But drat if the author doesn't write some despicable people that get torn down hard. It almost reads like a revenge fantasy more than anything. Actual heroics start happening later when people have their poo poo together and the plot actually starts, but the 'hero angry at the world' thing kinda spins its wheels for a long rear end time.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
This thread made me remember light novels were a thing that existed and so I'll probably check out a few of them eventually! I'm thinking probably Spice & Wolf and Durarara!!

It also got me thinking about how nearly every single light novel I know of is aimed squarely at a young male audience, so I started looking into if female-oriented light novels existed and it turns out they totally do! Even in Japan, male-oriented ones are the focus, but there are definitely ones aimed at girls. I've mostly been digging through Amazon, but I'm only now realizing that it'd probably be a lot more efficient if I just looked up publisher labels on Wikipedia and then went to their websites!

Anyway, things I have learned so far: there are (unsurprisingly, in retrospect) a lot of period romances, Maria-sama ga Miteru started off as a light novel series (I thought it started as a manga!), and Mirage of Blaze is… very big.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Started reading Konjiki no Wordmaster and while the premise is the same as all the other light novels coming out these days(Well, except the MC deciding to go gently caress around instead of saving the world from the evil demon people), the lack of creepiness astounds me. Only 26 chapters translated so far, but there's pretty much been zero creep factor from the MC or anyone else. It's weirdly terrifying and I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, dad, sure.

Surprisingly, he actually kept maintaining paternal distance for all 200+ of the current translated chapters, barring that one time he was explicitly hosed in the head. Go go being so bitter and crazed you can't conceive of normal relationships. There's apparently like 360 chapters though, and the story's really clearly telegraphing that he'll probably stay behind with the Totally-An-Adult-I-Swear tanuki girl as a new mayor or something.

Anyway once the whole revenge fantasy thing finished up, the plot quite literally ground to a halt so Naofumi could start a village. It was silly, led to a huge character bloat and more harem cliches, and yet was still kind of endearing. I guess I just really like the concept of a really grumpy guy helping raise a bunch of kids.

Having a MC who is so utterly repulsed by the idea of kids falling in love with him is great too, which is why I'm disappointed it's probably going to actually end in a romance.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jellycat posted:

It also got me thinking about how nearly every single light novel I know of is aimed squarely at a young male audience, so I started looking into if female-oriented light novels existed and it turns out they totally do! Even in Japan, male-oriented ones are the focus, but there are definitely ones aimed at girls. I've mostly been digging through Amazon, but I'm only now realizing that it'd probably be a lot more efficient if I just looked up publisher labels on Wikipedia and then went to their websites!

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a LN, but in Japan the Twelve Kingdoms novels were published on a girls' lit label.
Of course those were licensed by Tokyopop for English publication, so it'll be almost impossible to get copies of now.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

BlitzBlast posted:

Surprisingly, he actually kept maintaining paternal distance for all 200+ of the current translated chapters, barring that one time he was explicitly hosed in the head. Go go being so bitter and crazed you can't conceive of normal relationships. There's apparently like 360 chapters though, and the story's really clearly telegraphing that he'll probably stay behind with the Totally-An-Adult-I-Swear tanuki girl as a new mayor or something.

Anyway once the whole revenge fantasy thing finished up, the plot quite literally ground to a halt so Naofumi could start a village. It was silly, led to a huge character bloat and more harem cliches, and yet was still kind of endearing. I guess I just really like the concept of a really grumpy guy helping raise a bunch of kids.

Having a MC who is so utterly repulsed by the idea of kids falling in love with him is great too, which is why I'm disappointed it's probably going to actually end in a romance.

Yeah it's kind of surprising how it avoids the whole romance angle for so long (at least through the 100~ chapters I read before I gave up) but then you consider that Naofumi's whole character is pretty much 'I hate women :reject: (unless they are literally my slaves)' and it's ...less surprising. And more disturbing. Well for me anyway the whole central premise made me a bit too uncomfortable after a while to justify wading through the shoddy translations.

Trip report: I read Overlord thanks to this thread, hell of a ride. The first few chapters were almost touching, with MC waxing philosophical about MMORPG blues. And then he literally becomes an evil overlord in control of a demon army and stuff which is not a side of the story you see written from very often which is pretty cool. I'll keep an eye on that one, hope it stays good / gets better - but not holding my breath.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jellycat posted:

This thread made me remember light novels were a thing that existed and so I'll probably check out a few of them eventually! I'm thinking probably Spice & Wolf and Durarara!!

Anyway, things I have learned so far: there are (unsurprisingly, in retrospect) a lot of period romances, Maria-sama ga Miteru started off as a light novel series (I thought it started as a manga!), and Mirage of Blaze is… very big.
E? Heibon Desu yo?? was mentioned earlier, which might be up your alley. A girl gets reincarnated as the daughter of a Noble which is probably not too far off the period romances, although I haven't got around to reading it myself.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a LN, but in Japan the Twelve Kingdoms novels were published on a girls' lit label.
Of course those were licensed by Tokyopop for English publication, so it'll be almost impossible to get copies of now.

Yeah, I looked into it a bit and the English Wikipedia page calls them light novels, but the Japanese one just uses the word "novel" (by contrast, both the Slayers and Haruhi pages use "light novel"). Still, they (along with stuff like Record of Lodoss War, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Arslan, etc.) do seem to be in sort of the light novel's extended family. I wonder if that's true for most genre fiction in Japan.

HiveCommander posted:

E? Heibon Desu yo?? was mentioned earlier, which might be up your alley. A girl gets reincarnated as the daughter of a Noble which is probably not too far off the period romances, although I haven't got around to reading it myself.

Thanks for pointing it out! I'll probably try it out, at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

The funny thing about that one is that the skill system it uses actually seems kind of viable for a mmo. However, everyone acts as though skill points are some incredibly rare resource and that non-combat skills are worthless even though it all seems very much balanced around trying a bunch of things. You don't even have to keep the non-combat stuff equipped and leveling it provides more skill points. This results in there being absolutely no documentation on skills which are trivially easy to acquire and try out. Even the hilarious skill system from moonlight sculptor makes more sense, because the worst offenders are all locked behind a super secret quest line that Weed never explains to anyone.

Still, jarring dissonance between the premise and execution aside, I rather like Only Sense. The only actively negative aspect is the gender bender bit, which adds absolutely nothing to the story.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

New chapter of Overlord came out http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/01/O24.html. I really hope the author doesn't drop the ball with this series, but I just can't see this series having a long run and still being entertaining.

I finished reading the first three volumes of Only Sense Online and gave the other novels the translator is working on a look. I didn't find the others to be very good, which is a shame because the translator is fast and doing a great job on his end. Alice Tale was okay but much more typical of the genre.

Serious Frolicking posted:

The funny thing about that one is that the skill system it uses actually seems kind of viable for a mmo. However, everyone acts as though skill points are some incredibly rare resource and that non-combat skills are worthless even though it all seems very much balanced around trying a bunch of things. You don't even have to keep the non-combat stuff equipped and leveling it provides more skill points. This results in there being absolutely no documentation on skills which are trivially easy to acquire and try out. Even the hilarious skill system from moonlight sculptor makes more sense, because the worst offenders are all locked behind a super secret quest line that Weed never explains to anyone.

Still, jarring dissonance between the premise and execution aside, I rather like Only Sense. The only actively negative aspect is the gender bender bit, which adds absolutely nothing to the story.

The gimmick behind LMS is that the game is controlled by an AI, so it can tailor the game to every player at once. It's not really certain that the quests he did existed in the game before he did them.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 18, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

You've never played EVE, have you?
So many people ignore almost all the skills that aren't at least indirectly linked to pvp (suck as marketing, mining/industry, R&D, exploration etc). It's not that hard to believe, really.

Sinking Ship posted:

I've been reading Mokushiroku Arisu recently (3 volumes released, all 3 translated). I picked it up mostly for it's protagonist who is kind of a huge dick to everyone and because it seems to be a tiny bit outside the norm for LNs. The plot starts out fairly dark (also sprinkled with Alice in Wonderland references) but by the end it gets decidedly more generic for better or worse. The setting is interesting, how it handles magic, how magic is acquired and applied is pretty cool, the strong point of the books is the setting in my opinion. Most people probably pick it up because it's edgelord click-bait with the whole 'Kill the girl, save the world' premise but I spent an hour or two reading it and it was good enough to keep me reading to the end and ultimately dropping like :10bux: on a physical copy from amazon.jp so take that however you like.
I'm a bit over the halfway mark in this one, and it seems interesting. The MC somewhat reminds me of an rear end in a top hat version of the blond MC in Mondaiji Tachi, he's OP as gently caress and he knows it, but is caught up in his own goal that he actively avoids everyone else unless it can be worth his while (money-wise).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

So many people ignore almost all the skills that aren't at least indirectly linked to pvp (suck as marketing, mining/industry, R&D, exploration etc). It's not that hard to believe, really.

I'm a bit over the halfway mark in this one, and it seems interesting. The MC somewhat reminds me of an rear end in a top hat version of the blond MC in Mondaiji Tachi, he's OP as gently caress and he knows it, but is caught up in his own goal that he actively avoids everyone else unless it can be worth his while (money-wise).

Speaking of Mondaijitachi, I like it but I had to drop it because I found the translations to be of so low quality that they were almost unintelligible on a line-by-line basis and were incredibly difficult to follow at a higher level.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
^^^ Yeah the existing fan-translations for that series are complete trash, which is a shame and I hope it gets picked up in an official capacity at some point.

Only Sense also hit a good itch for me. I agree that the gender-bending adds a lot of annoying and useless points, but in the same tone despite reading LMS for so long I found it really hard to keep up with Weed's utter misanthropy combined with he himself being a[n often hilarious] dirtbag was too much (on top of the translation quality which falters with each passing chapter), while OSO remains rather bubbly. :buddy:

As a huge nerd I'm actually super on board for this giant wave of MMO-based stories and find almost all of them rather fun to read for a while. Thanks for making this thread!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Emalde posted:

As a huge nerd I'm actually super on board for this giant wave of MMO-based stories and find almost all of them rather fun to read for a while. Thanks for making this thread!

This is pretty much me.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
How does the thread feel about OLNs? I picked up Daybreak on Hyperion recently and was astounded by the translation quality only to later realize it was released in English originally :doh:. The writing is pretty good considering it's some translators hobby project and I enjoyed the story quite a bit. The story itself seems kind of cringeworthy at a glance the main character is basically a dude summoned to another world and ALSO turned into a chick but it completely sidesteps most of that particular genre's typical conventions and the change is mostly played to make him feel even more miserable in an unknown land, it's pretty much the most tastefully I've ever seen gender-bending written. But why wade through that poo poo in the first place? Even if it's 'sort-of-alright' poo poo, it's still nasty to step in right? Well yea, but all that takes a backseat to the authors real passion - which is writing about high fantasy medieval warfare, pretty much everything written about is either feudal political shenanigans, set-up for feudal political shenanigans, or magical medieval armies murdering each other while the main character inserts himself from time to time with his modern perspective (he's some sort of war-history buff).

I dunno I had fun reading it but then felt kind of dirty when I found out it was probably closer to fan-fiction than literature considering it's an original English light novel... but what the hell it's not like light novels are particularly dignified to begin with :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Original English Light Novel? I think we call those... novels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

There were always loads of carebears in high sec, but that's not the point. The skills in eve were transparent. You knew the effects before you leveled one- bonuses and sometimes something new to equip. Even then, people still experimented with weird, frequently lovely builds.

Desuwa posted:

I finished reading the first three volumes of Only Sense Online and gave the other novels the translator is working on a look. I didn't find the others to be very good, which is a shame because the translator is fast and doing a great job on his end. Alice Tale was okay but much more typical of the genre.

The gimmick behind LMS is that the game is controlled by an AI, so it can tailor the game to every player at once. It's not really certain that the quests he did existed in the game before he did them.

No one knew why Weed was strong because he never told anyone about the shapeshifting, sculpture pets, etc. He didn't have the only secret class with its own super special class quest, but his particular flavor of bullshit wasn't available to other people. In Only Sense, anyone could level those skills given time. Heck, most of them are available on character creation. However, every other person followed the consensus which only existed on forums that these skills were worthless before they even started playing. Alchemy sounds cool! Seeds could be created with a common starter area drop and a bit of fiddling with a menu from level 1, but no one else ever figured out how to get them. It isn't even like moonlight sculptor where being a crafter meant being lovely at combat and locking them out of most of the fun content. Rather, they could freely switch between ability sets like the job system in ffxi/xiv but no one ever bothered.

poo poo just makes no sense, is all.

Also, Ark is a brazen ripoff of moonlight sculptor. I mean poo poo, the guy even got a special ability that lets him ignore defense with swords with a class change. It just keeps coming up over and over. I'm not sure why such a supposed misanthrope who only values money and his family (gee, sound familiar?) is so ridiculously vulnerable to schmaltzy emotional appeals, though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
With those types of stories they really need you to accept the fantastical premise that everyone that plays mmorpgs for any length of time doesn't have some mix of OCD, autism, and antisocial personality disorder at work. Because really, it doesn't matter how poo poo skills are said to be. Someone made a list telling you exactly how poo poo it is with every other skill in all possible uses, probably with videos and screenshots. Why? Because gently caress you, gently caress the game, and also gently caress himself. That's why. A game in which you can craft poo poo where every single possible means of making something isn't in an easily searchable database? Bullshit. I can probably find an entire series of websites dedicated just to in game fashion, where to find it, what crafts it, and what things can complete a look for a set that doesn't take up all your slots.

Crazy VR games that read your mind? Fine, totally believable. Probably be there in....30 years. A game where people don't instantly spoil all possible things because reasons? No.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Original English Light Novel? I think we call those... novels.

Haha, yea I know right? But it's up over on baka-tsuki and that's how the author is branding it because it's some sort of fan-translator hobby project as far as I can tell. Also format and content are light novel-ish ...but you're completely right which is why I wasn't 100% sure it was appropriate to post - a friend passed it to me without letting me know it was English original and it was up on bt so I just assumed... :saddowns:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Writing a young adult novel is a perfectly fine endeavor. Aping the style of a rather unexceptional type of fiction in another language is pathetic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Flipped through the first volume of Only Sense. Don't know what's the point of the gender bender, but hey it's a story about MMORPGs that is actually about players having fun playing the game. Neat.

EDIT: It's hilariously unrealistic though. Buffing/debuffing is useless? Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2015

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Speaking of Mondaijitachi, I like it but I had to drop it because I found the translations to be of so low quality that they were almost unintelligible on a line-by-line basis and were incredibly difficult to follow at a higher level.

That's sad, as Mondai-jitach begin funs and only becomes better, which is the opposite trend of this kind of work.

Sinking Ship posted:

I am unsure why you say it becomes more generic? Or have you only read the first volume?

What i like about it:
+the MC is Tsun as hell, and is called out on it by everyone, constantly being mocked for it.
+the twist at the end of the third volume

The rest is... Well, i dislike the magic, and it makes absolutely no sense for the 'power levels' to exist there, given we actually never see anything really impressive. Characterization has a lot of cheap part, though it's definitely a grimdark world.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

In Only Sense, anyone could level those skills given time. Heck, most of them are available on character creation. However, every other person followed the consensus which only existed on forums that these skills were worthless before they even started playing.

While I agree that it's kind of ridiculous there wouldn't be someone who would go out of their way to completely outline what every facet of every system in a game is like (I've been that guy several times myself), when it comes to the way casual Japanese gamers specifically approach multiplayer games, this is actually not terribly hard to believe on the surface. A huge majority of them are more than happy to find the first google result/open forum for discussion and completely go along with whatever the most popular consensus is and wont spend a second thought on it.

If a large enough contingent of beta players immediately cast off a whole subset of abilities, everyone coming in to the main game would likely take it as gospel since anybody playing in a beta is obviously going to know everything about the game, right?? :rolleyes:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

Haha, yea I know right? But it's up over on baka-tsuki and that's how the author is branding it because it's some sort of fan-translator hobby project as far as I can tell. Also format and content are light novel-ish ...but you're completely right which is why I wasn't 100% sure it was appropriate to post - a friend passed it to me without letting me know it was English original and it was up on bt so I just assumed... :saddowns:

Just skimming the prose in that thing and I guess now I know what a novel written by someone who only consumes fan-translated light novels would look like, jeez.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of 'just novels', anyone who wants to read a decent English book in the genre of video game protagonist breaks the system, there's the two books of Epic and Saga (Saga is the sequel). Some excerpts from Epic's wikipedia page:

Wikipedia posted:

Epic follows the life of a boy named Erik Haraldson and his involvement in a game called Epic. Epic is a virtual game, but is considered by all the inhabitants of New Earth as much more. A generic fantasy game, Epic echoes World of Warcraft and Everquest, but the entire population of New Earth play the game, as its rewards directly affect their income, social standing and careers.

Wikipedia posted:

As an expression of his discontent with the world, Erik had gone against convention in making a human female avatar, which he named Cindella and had deliberately chosen an almost unknown character class, swashbuckler. He put all of his ability points into beauty, which most players consider a waste, as beauty has no benefit in battle. This, incidentally, is the cause for the bland, gray characters that predominate in Epic. But curiously, the tale takes a twist and Erik inherits much wealth from his investment in beauty as the game itself begins to respond to his unique avatar.

Ain't it just magical. :allears:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

jon joe posted:

Speaking of 'just novels', anyone who wants to read a decent English book in the genre of video game protagonist breaks the system, there's the two books of Epic and Saga (Saga is the sequel). Some excerpts from Epic's wikipedia page:

I actually read at least Epic a long time ago and thought it was pretty decent. I remember starting Saga and not really being able to get into it. I don't remember if I even finished it or not.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

Just skimming the prose in that thing and I guess now I know what a novel written by someone who only consumes fan-translated light novels would look like, jeez.
So... the the RWBY of light novels?

Epic will be going into my backlog, by the sounds of it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

jon joe posted:

Epic was decent enough, it's got a YA novel feel though. Some characters are flat and are eliminated quickly, stakes are set up but the impact is lessened. We are made to accept some things really quickly, and there are some asspulls to move the plot along.

Though, I am moving on to the next book, the teaser is great. Only one packet of data. :allears:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

Epic was decent enough, it's got a YA novel feel though.

Considering it's won multiple children's book awards, yeah, that's an understatement.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

jon joe posted:

Considering it's won multiple children's book awards, yeah, that's an understatement.

:v: I was just saying for people who go in thinking it's a standard novel.

It never does anything creepy with a boy playing a female character as well, which is a huge step up from almost every other book/other media that touch on that idea. It's really worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Legendary Moonlight Sculptor has a strange charm to it. The prose or translation is nothing to write home about, but there's also nothing aggressively bad about it. It's... mediocre in most aspects, I think, but I still like the author's enthusiasm. It's like a 6-year-old kid describing his dream game in a very :3: way. The Geomchis are awesome, but I don't really care about most other intermissions. Thankfully the author keeps them very brief so I don't feel like I have to skip a lot.

It's pretty cool so far, but I'm dreading that at some point it will just go down the light novel harem drain. Is this a thing that happens, or does it keep chill all the way through?

• Locked thread