Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The weird thing about this episode is that the party randomly turning into a flapper thing has actually happened to me before in NYC. Except for me it was that tall clown dude just before he went viral suddenly showing up at a bar.

And the return of Garol! Love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Great episode. Looking forward to next week's though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I cannot emphasize how amazing this episode is if you know middle aged women from Long Island because those ladies are loving insane about knock-off Chinatown bags. I couldn't breathe during that whole section.

EDIT: Also, the show really deserves a lot of credit for creating awkward and funny situations around pegging while never really belittling the act itself or making any easy jokes outside of the inherent goofiness of big floppy dildos.

That whole part was great. I've known friends of relatives from my Jewish family who will go to Chinatown and buy a whole bunch of knockoff bags or jewelry or scarves - and yes, it is like that one girl's* mom who goes, "And this is for Lisa, this one for the Rabbi's wife," etc. They don't seem to make any money on the bags when they bring them back to Long Island, they just like being the person who "knows how to get things". And it works - whatever they bring back becomes a big conversation piece at the next family dinner.

*This is the first episode I watched. I wanted to see Jon Stewart announce his retirement, and that led to me watching Comedy Central's late night lineup; I haven't watched actual live cable TV in months. That episode was great though, I'm definitely going to try to watch it more.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The callback continuity on this show is on point. Now I see why Abbi was called "Val" on the subway.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

This show is at its best when it's just ever so slightly surreal. Between this and the wisdom teeth episode I really love this season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It's been a couple of weeks now but I'm still laughing at those girls in the police lineup insulting Ilana's boss. I wish there was a clip out there of just that scene.

As a bonus, I used that scene as a way to get my brother into the show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The scene from the preview with Ilana next to that tree featured prominently in Grantland's Broad City profile for this season. That episode sounds loving epic.

quote:

The first time I met Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer, they were wearing Rollerblades and Glazer was psyching herself up to simulate sex with a giant oak tree. Tucked out of view on a shady forest path in Prospect Park on a warm day in September, the stars and creators of Broad City were filming a scene for the sixth episode of the second season, called “The Matrix,” in which the best friends decide that they are too plugged in to the onanistic hive mind of the Internet and decide to go off the digital grid for a single day. The pair get separated, and without smartphones to reconnect, go on separate spirit quests — Glazer’s involves rubbing her bottom on the grass, rolling up leaves and dirt to craft (and smoke) a makeshift joint, and eating weeds from the ground on her hands and knees. For the denouement of her walkabout, Glazer has clothed intercourse — to completion — with a tree, still wearing skates, kneepads, and a bike helmet. Jacobson, who had quickly exchanged her blades for more comfortable Nike sneakers, was coaching Glazer from behind a camera monitor, the two chatting away over headsets, though they might as well have been communicating via ESP.

“Should I fist the tree first, you think, Ab?” Glazer asked. “Or should I give it a rim job? What’s funnier?”

“Definitely fisting!” Jacobson hollered back. “The tree may say no but its heart says yes!”

Glazer went to work. She is a brilliant physical comedian — both women are — and gyrated her compact frame around the tree, oozing over its limbs, French-kissing its bark, straddling it, slapping it, twerking on it, poking it in various orifices. (Jacobson chimed in from the sidelines, “We are always coming up with new holes!”) A crew of about 25 people looked on, but Glazer showed no signs of embarrassment — she only requested inspiration in the form of slow jams — “Give me some dirty music, baby, lemme get my griiiind on!” — and suggested to the director, John Lee, that perhaps she should “try some shots with reverse cowgirl, like my rear end right up to the camera. It should feel grotesque, right? We need dat bounce!” She tried different rhythms and angles, holding back laughter while slapping the trunk of the tree with loud thwacks.

Meanwhile, Jacobson was giggling so hard she had to crouch on the ground. “This is so loving funny,” she said. “This is so loving funny.” Then, turning to me, she put on a serious face: “She’s not doing this to fall in love with the tree,” she said. “She is doing it to find … answers.” Then, after a pause: “I just hope the tree is over 18.”

After at least five different takes of dry humping, Lee called to a PA who was the keeper of the “tree jizz,” a mixture of sunscreen and liquid glycerin for Glazer to scoop out of a knot like Pooh Bear coaxing honey from a jar. “Should I look horrified that I just jerked this thing off?” Glazer wondered out loud. “Or am I weirdly proud of it? You know what? Let’s try it both ways.”

After costume designer Lucy Cobbs wiped the goop off, Glazer accepted the applause from the crew with a wobbly curtsy, still balancing on her blades. “Thank you, thank you,” she said, blushing. Then she added, “I feel like I should smoke a cigarette after that.”

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

RedneckwithGuns posted:

This show is at its best when it's just ever so slightly surreal. Between this and the wisdom teeth episode I really love this season.

Couldn't agree more and it's one of the things I absolutely adore about this show.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

This episode was perfection. Need a gif of that vomit covered workout ball.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
the other actress sold that beautifully

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My policy is to hold off on watching a new Broad City episode until pay day, when I can buy a dimebag from my man and watch it stoned, as Abbi and Ilana probably intended it to be watched. So I can't wait for tomorrow, as well as next week's episode with TREE SEX.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I cannot emphasize how amazing this episode is if you know middle aged women from Long Island because those ladies are loving insane about knock-off Chinatown bags. I couldn't breathe during that whole section.
I know this is about last week's episode, but Ilana's mom reminded me of my own mom, except mine doesn't talk about sex acts in public. But both are very loud, opinionated, and Jewish. The "WASPy Main Line Jew" line was great too.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Holy poo poo man this episode's 3rd act was loving perfect. I cannot believe that Val-Bar happened.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The callback continuity on this show is on point. Now I see why Abbi was called "Val" on the subway.

Holy crap, you blew my mind. That lady completely goes from "crazy old bat on the subway" to "hey, I like her singing!"

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I love Broad City's physical comedy. There was something about blackout-drunk Abbi laughing and spilling a splash her drink (in the pop-up flapper bar) that had me in stitches. Reminded me of Ilana's head smashing into diner's glasses as a hulked-out Abbi carried her out of the restaurant in S1E10.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Abbi is quickly becoming my favorite of the pair. This season especially has been fantastic for her character.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Abbi is quickly becoming my favorite of the pair. This season especially has been fantastic for her character.
Didn't last season's finale have a bit where she said her birthday would set the tone for her next year? That ended up being pretty accurate so far.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Ilana is absolutely the token girl on grindr.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I wish Lincoln would get his own spinoff.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Brock Samson posted:

I wish Lincoln would get his own spinoff.

Hannibal is supposed to get his own show at some point. Lincoln is basically Hannibal Buress but also a dentist so it's close enough.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
gently caress, I missed the episode because I fell asleep. I wish Broad City switched times with workaholics so I could go to sleep earlier on Wednesdays.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have no idea what they were yelling at the guys in the park.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

drunken officeparty posted:

I have no idea what they were yelling at the guys in the park.

WANNA FOOK = do you want to gently caress?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Great episode. Definitely up there as one of my faves. I like when they get surreal but I also like when the weirdness is more grounded.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

*smash cut to fig*

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Hannibal continues to own every scene he's in.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

I actually didn't put together the joke they were making there until seeing it in gif form. I love this show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gonz posted:

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

*smash cut to fig*

I loved this

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That scene was so loving amazing.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
That was just a bit more surreal than I'd rather but they're both so funny and watchable I didn't mind that much. The Cold Paws segment killed me though and Hannibal is the best guy for those scenes. He fits into the world so drat well like testing out terms to make sure they're right for a "dog wedding". I'm always pleased when they take a joke in a new direction like Wanna Fook turning into a pratfall instead of a stammering Abbi moment like my uncreative mind was expecting.

Captain Turner
Oct 2, 2014

by Ralp
Anyone know the name of the song playing during the Ilana-acting-like-a-dog montage? Google isn't helping...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WANNAFOOOOOOOOOK

This was one of the most perfect half hours of comedy I've seen since Kids in the Hall

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Laughed so hard at Abby kicking the soccer ball with skates on :vince:

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
That Val scene was absolutely amazing. I was like "what the gently caress is going on!?" and laughing the whole time. So perfect. This show is so great I can't believe it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Glad we're getting more episodes with Jaime

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

JAZZ

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Bevers is the worst. Please get him out of this show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
That last shot of Jaime was so creepy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pausing the quick cut google search scene killed me:

Signs that your sex friend is becoming your boyfriend
rear end of an Angel
Janet Jackson That's the Way Love Goes
Rihanna Instagram
Rihanna Twitter
Top Ten Fig Recipes
Why are Brazil Nuts always in nut mixes?
Bath salt mysteries
What's that rash on my armpit?
Bed Bath and Beyond coupons revealed
Finding your soulmate on a budget
Twincest
Micro penis
Kelly Ripa Wardrobe Malfunction

EDIT: Holy poo poo, Kelly Ripa Wardrobe Malfunction is an actual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zealott
Mar 30, 2004
That was the best episode of television I've ever seen. They amaze me.

Edit: great callback of the white power suit.

Is this the most progressive television show currently running?

zealott fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread