Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Shadowlz posted:

gently caress you and your launcher screen.

I think it's because I had to change my password. SOE has the same lovely password requirements as origin between 8 and loving 15?! gently caress you! At least go to 24.

I asked for a password reset and never got the e-mail, because I thought I was getting the password wrong. Turns out I was getting it right, it's just that I can only get past that error about one in twenty tries. It also gives me a "system has encountered an error" message upon trying to login to any SOE sites with my credentials most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Here I am fighting off some zombies, you can see me putting the hatchet to good use!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
You know, up close these zombies are really pretty gruesome. Right down to the rotting teeth they sure look the part when they're not clipping through world geometry or standing in their reference pose:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The crafting interface is... interesting (I put a screenie below). The items are great but the whole thing is a bit grindy. Then again, the rest of the game has impressed me so much I don't mind sending SOE a couple of bucks every time I want to make anything remotely interesting. Just a couple more hours masticating sheep with tin cans filled with gravel until I can give my treefort a sweet shag carpet!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The PvP is amazing, endless trolling opportunities abound! They really thought of everything--you can actually harvest the sweet salty tears of the hapless "pubbies" you encounter. Here's a pic of the tears on my shelf, next to other important fluids:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I hate to break your post chain, but I have to ask.....

Is the yellow liquid PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Great now youtube is down too. This is SOEs fault somehow.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Givin posted:

I hate to break your post chain, but I have to ask.....

Is the yellow liquid PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS?

:sweatdrop:

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Thepossiblelight posted:

I've come here from downtown boulder.
I'm here on a mission of mercy.
I've come to lead you all to the promised land.

We will take the streets, we will storm the post offices, the grocery stores, the auto shop, the ski lodges.
We will take the field in glorious battle and emerge victorious, walking on the slain; human and zombie alike.

We will make it our creed and life's work to troll.
Make no mistake, we will troll.

This is sorta similar to the Night of The Long Flashlights, if you were there at ~that game~ launch night. Also if so, I'm sorry.

EDIT: Progress? I'm past the error and getting a server browser now, but the only thing that shows up on it is some default text in the fields, no actual joinable server.

Shadefyre fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 16, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the air drops are basically slot machines? Might get something good, might not get crap? They did this with swg back in the day with the TCG if I remember right

I gotta admit, watching reddit and meganerds elsewhere freak out about the p2w thing is hilarious.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Shadefyre posted:

EDIT: Progress? I'm past the error and getting a server browser now, but the only thing that shows up on it is some default text in the fields, no actual joinable server.

same

what a glorious time to be a gamer

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Tide posted:

So the air drops are basically slot machines? Might get something good, might not get crap? They did this with swg back in the day with the TCG if I remember right

I gotta admit, watching reddit and meganerds elsewhere freak out about the p2w thing is hilarious.
reading all the usual circlejerk about bait-n-switch and 'ianal but (shitiknownothingabout.txt)' is pretty hilarious

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Hey guys what server you playing on?

[object CharacterSelectServersRow] PVP or [object CharacterSelectServersRow]?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Tide posted:

Yeah I honestly don't care if some guy wants to spend money at a chance at weapons. I'll be playing a hardcore PVP server which means once he dies he's losing all that poo poo anyway unless he stores it somewhere. It's not like having a good weapon is going to make people invincible.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Shadowlz posted:

On the Requiem server.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Shadowlz posted:

There are some people streaming, although that's what my server select screen looks like. Has anyone identified how to make it work right?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
See, that's kind of Smed's out: they aren't selling weapons, they are selling the chance to get one. His "if you find like it, don't buy it" is hilarious to me because isn't the game going to be f2p after EA?

Is EA going to be up for a while? I would assume so, since they all probably take EA money right up to the day the game officially goes live

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Tide posted:

See, that's kind of Smed's out: they aren't selling weapons, they are selling the chance to get one. His "if you find like it, don't buy it" is hilarious to me because isn't the game going to be f2p after EA?

Is EA going to be up for a while? I would assume so, since they all probably take EA money right up to the day the game officially goes live

yes, the game is going to be f2p with those airdrop tickets for FFA style loot fests and crates/keys for cosmetics. i dont really understand the problem with the model.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I don't see what the big deal is with the air drops which are clearly objectives to fight over not care packages a la cod

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I don't see what the big deal is with the air drops which are clearly objectives to fight over not care packages a la cod

People are freaking out because a streamer did it and there's not many people around to contest them currently. I can see once the server issues settle down people forming groups of guys who do nothing but wait for air drops to pillage.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

SuicideSnowman posted:

People are freaking out because a streamer did it and there's not many people around to contest them currently. I can see once the server issues settle down people forming groups of guys who do nothing but wait for air drops to pillage.

That's gonna be really tough if they bump the player count up to 1000.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

In these sort of games that basically means a clan will collude to make sure they got awesome guns and poo poo all over servers. It happened in Rust. Difference is now the money's going into Smedley's pocket. There's also the issue of the stuff in the crates being kick rear end, and the radius they drop in being small enough that they pretty much drop on your head.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SuicideSnowman posted:

I can see once the server issues settle down people forming groups of guys who do nothing but wait for air drops to pillage.

Goon Raiders.

Make it happen.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

*sigh*... It happened so fast... Mike, if you're reading this, I'm sorry for dragging you into this mess (I owe you $20). I just wasn't ready for this kind of life. Maybe somewhere out there there's another person willing to spend 37 hours crafting wooden panels and pointy sticks, but I couldn't take one second more of it. The last thing I remember is charging into an abandoned warehouse and zombies coming at me from all sides. I'm not sure if they're meant to but they were coming out of the drat walls. Anyway, don't worry about me coming back to munch on you, I'm going to take my own life using the M4A1 I bought in a desperate attempt to make something interesting happen. Enjoy it. Adios

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

http://www.reddit.com/user/j_smedley

Reddit is taking all of Smedley's internet points in response to #airdropgate. Do you think he'll be ok? :ohdear:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Reddit posted:

John, just an idea. Why not have a live twitch stream with a mobile camera. Show yourself, the tasks you must perform in this time of stress and havoc. Show the many minds at work, solving the most pressing issues of the game. Show all the pieces to this chess game moving strategically LIVE for US to SEE. You already have the capability in the studio to stream. Run some wires if you have to. And if I have lost your attention at this point, at least get Jimmy or some goon to live stream. Considering he doesn't qualify, apparently, to solve the issues most pressing. Jimmy could absorb a lot of collateral damage. He could ease the pain of the community, simply with the sound of his live voice. Quell all negative response from whatever forces caused this catastrophe to occur. I hope you, and all developers take this into consideration in the future. Kind regards.

I kind of get the feeling that this guy is holding a knife to his own throat in one Cheetos encrusted hand while the other is mashing the LAUNCH GAME button.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

suboptimal posted:

I kind of get the feeling that this guy is holding a knife to his own throat in one Cheetos encrusted hand while the other is mashing the LAUNCH GAME button.

Jesus. I can see the fedora tipping from here.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:chloe:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I got that once, next time I tried to log on it worked fine (barring the broken server browser, that is).

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
I CAN SEE THE SERVER LIST NOW! :woop:
if only i could click on one

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Looks like they fixed it. This games pretty spooky at night.

Also,

Smedley posted:

After we fix login. Tmw morning expect a patch to improve loot drops, zombie responsiveness and other issues

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Any goons still hanging around in CTS to give this a go?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I cannot believe how bad this game looks

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My cpu/gpu fans are going bonkers when I'm playing and every time I press e the game hitches. It's an open world zombie survival game alright. So here's what I've managed to work out so far:

- You can make a bow with a wooden stick you can pick up off most plants and a scrap of cloth you can make by tearing up your shirt. Keep any extra scraps for later bows because they can wear out over time.
- Arrows can be made two at a time from one stick. Make as many as you can. Zombies will go down in a single headshot but the bow has about as much range as you can spit so aim high unless they're right in your face.
- Blackberries are fairly common and can help stave off hunger/thirst until you can find something more substantial.
- As far as I can tell you can't drink directly from water sources, which are all ankle-deep for some reason.
- There are voice comms but typing in the chat window doesn't seem to work.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
this game is so loving boring. I don't care if it's beta I know a bad game when I see one. Can these lovely survival games just end already

Gets
Mar 11, 2009

Republicans posted:

- As far as I can tell you can't drink directly from water sources, which are all ankle-deep for some reason.

It's DayZ Standalone launch day all over again.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder if they made it this crappy on purpose because people who like these games find it charming.

Although to be fair it's better than the DayZ knock-off the Big Rigs guy made.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Anime Curator posted:

this game is so loving boring. I don't care if it's beta I know a bad game when I see one. Can these lovely survival games just end already

Let me tell you why they won't: because despite Planetside 2 being a much more unique game with battles involving 400+ players, SOE are probably going to make 10x as much money off this lovely DayZ clone based solely on its genre.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This is a bad game, don'd be an idiot and spend money on it to get into the EA like I did. If you really have to try every lovely zombie survival game, wait for it to leave EA and try it for free.... maybe it's good by than, maybe they cancel it before that happens, but it's certainly not worth any money at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
My notes from this evening:

- For the most part, things seem to run pretty smoothly. Played several hours with no real technical problems, even during heavy rain. I think I only heard one other goon report a freeze/crash, so that's pretty good.
- We're mostly playing on the Requiem server, but quite frankly there's no real compelling reason not to branch out.
- No one has any clue where the gently caress they are at any given time. The map in the OP is only mildly useful because it totally ignores all the random roads snaking across the map, everything looks vaguely similar, and the in-game signs generally only give you a very weak idea of where you are and where you need to go, especially if you don't have a compass. Your best bet is to find a road and just follow it wherever.
- The cities can be real traps. Lots of zombies, sometimes bears, and lots of confined spaces. You're fine if you just sprint everywhere, but that doesn't give you much opportunity to look around and find stuff. Overall, zombies are probably a little too attentive to players who are trying to be sneaky, and they just keep coming once you start fighting. I've seen them pop into existence not 20 meters away.
- The day/night cycle is really fast, and night feels a lot longer than day, especially if it rains a bunch. It's kind of annoying.
- Hunger and thirst deplete obnoxiously quickly. It's manageable, but try to keep ten or so berries on you at all times, just in case you start running low. Berries give you a bit (like 2 points?) of each of hunger and thirst, and they're ridiculously common. The only real reason why hunger/thirst gets annoying, then, is because you're mashing buttons over and over to get your dude to cram 20 berries down his throat one at a time.
- No healing over time, you have to use bandages or first aid kits. If you keep getting into scraps with zombies and don't get a good feel for the bow/melee, you're going to die.
- A lot of items that you will feel compelled to keep with you are really, really bulky and don't fit into backpacks and stuff. You can put whatever you want in your three weapon slots, but you'll probably end up putting a bow in one slot, a long gun in the second (if you find one), and maybe an ax or crowbar in the third. Those sorts of items will literally not fit in anything besides your weapon slots or vehicle storage, and it's honestly fairly annoying. If you run in a crew, have each person carry a different utility item, I guess.
- Firearms aren't hard to find. I've seen tens of handguns and at least five hunting rifles. Ammo? Not so much.

Getting started, since I'm assuming most of you didn't have a chance to play much, if at all, tonight:

- Berries are your go-to food source. Yes, they're annoying to eat, but they're plentiful and don't take up much space. Once you find a backpack or a vehicle, you can probably cart around enough clean water and cooked meat to do away with berries, but until then...
- You can rip your shirt into rags, which you can then use to make bandages or a bow. Make a bow. It's lovely, and it takes some getting used to, but it beats melee combat, which is currently a little buggy. The bow is crafted with one rag and one stick. Sticks are obtained from thin white bushy looking things. Just run around in the bushes mashing E. You can also craft arrows out of sticks, two at a time. The bow doesn't shoot very far, and you need to go for headshots, so don't be afraid to let zombies get a little close. The only issue at that point is that it takes a bit to "reload," so if you miss or there are multiple incoming zombies, you're going to have a rough time. Practice shooting the bow before you get into fights with it. It can be a little confusing/buggy.
- As far as crafting goes, you need to "discover" a combination before you can craft it. There are tabs in your inventory screen and the process should be reasonably intuitive.
- Melee fighting is a bit rough. You can use Q to push zombies back, staggering them, which gives you time for a swing or two. The issue is that the zombies sometimes hit you from way farther away than they should be able to, they'll hit you when they're staggering from a blow, and sometimes, they'll fall on the ground and still hit you. There's no real good way to not take damage in a melee fight, so stick to the bow as much as you can. Melee works in a pinch on lone zombies, but you can't kite them and stunlock them as you might expect.
- When an enemy, be it zombie, wolf, bear, or deer, is dead, you're not done. Grab a bladed weapon and smack the corpse until it goes away. Zombies sometimes give rags, while wildlife drops meat and fat.
- Save salt when you find it. You can combine it with purified water to make a saline solution, which you can then combine with bandages to make a first aid kit, and that's a full heal. The bandages alone are only 10%, and if zombies are your primary source of rags, that may not be a war of attrition that you can win, since each bandage is crafted from two rags. You don't get any passive healing.
- Zombies have a really hard time getting through closed doors. Run into a building and close all the doors if you're in a jam.

• Locked thread