Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
If I was to have something custom designed out of cast iron, what would be the best route to take? (not a pan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Mace.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Door jam or door stop. Something to do with preventing a door from doing its job.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Sledgehammer

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chastity belt, be sure to season the lock

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Bullet proof vest to wear under your shirt when facing the town bully in a showdown.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you're talking about methods, you should use thermite :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fYkPljB9Zk

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Yeah, I was talking more about how I would go about having something I have in mind made. (read: not a weapon of any sort)

On a related note when I was a kid I was heavily into LoTR and D&D. I saved up my allowance and mail ordered a flail. I owned it about a day before my grade school teacher took it, never to be seen again. :(

atothesquiz posted:

Door jam or door stop. Something to do with preventing a door from doing its job.

I am partial to caltrops.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I know no one cares but I have to tell someone, I scored a 12" Lodge skillet for about $14 today from a going out of business sale. Debating on whether I want to sand the inside bottom smooth.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You mean the cooking surface? Oven cleaner spray works very well to strip it down to 0 if that's your goal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, Lodge pans are pretty rough from the factory.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

wormil posted:

I know no one cares but I have to tell someone, I scored a 12" Lodge skillet for about $14 today from a going out of business sale. Debating on whether I want to sand the inside bottom smooth.

In my experience it's purely cosmetic. You need to put the cooking time in. My best performing pan is a Lodge I've been cooking on since 2003 and it's better than my vintage smooth surface pan I started on in 2013.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Slack Lagoon posted:

$35 at Costco I think I'm going to get it

I’ve had one of these for 4 years and used it like twice. I use a 10” and 12” cast iron pan for almost all my cooking but don’t know what the hell to do with this thing.

Any ideas?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Smash burgers on the grill?

I am not sure either honestly. I mean, I have one and some skillets, and I often go for the skillets even if I'm going on the grill.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Those big griddles are good for cooking on campfires. They're much easier to prop on some rocks or logs over the coals than the short square ones. They're not really practical to use on a stove though.

Griddles in general are great for pancakes because you can flip them easier without the sides of the pan in the way.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This is the idea, and why it's not all that great on a circular burner:

You fit another pancake! ... but you get more uneven heat. If you want, you can do the original 3 pancakes and have just the same heat distribution, and have the advantage of easy flipping Leviathan Song mentioned. Also, if you happen to have a fancy stove with a griddle setting (burners in between burners :brrring:) you're in business.

e: vvv yeah if you can do two burners it's personal preference. You're gaining a bit of maneuverability, only have to clean one griddle instead of 2 skillets, for the price of $35 and storage space

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 19, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

generally they're sized for 2 stove burners so 6-8 pancakes

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

This is the idea, and why it's not all that great on a circular burner:

You fit another pancake! ... but you get more uneven heat. If you want, you can do the original 3 pancakes and have just the same heat distribution, and have the advantage of easy flipping Leviathan Song mentioned. Also, if you happen to have a fancy stove with a griddle setting (burners in between burners :brrring:) you're in business.

Problems like this are why I have a firepit in my backyard. No uneven heating on my rectangular griddle. Also real stir fry on my giant steel wok like you would get from those giant restaurant burners.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah they're meant to span two burners.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any reason not to get this pan https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-Silicone-Handle-Holder/dp/B01FXKSAFI/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You'll own a cast iron pan for the rest of your life, why not buy from a company that has been around for awhile. Lodge isn't much more and is a known quality.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

wormil posted:

You'll own a cast iron pan for the rest of your life, why not buy from a company that has been around for awhile. Lodge isn't much more and is a known quality.

Like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3ASH41B-Skillet-Silicone-12-inch/dp/B00G2XGC88

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And does anyone who uses Amazon a lot know why it's 30% cheaper without the handle https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

That is a Lodge pan. I looked 2 days ago and the base 12" was $28 on Amazon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

wormil posted:

Yeah, Lodge pans are pretty rough from the factory.

Personally I think you should give it a scraped surface, take it to a Richard King scraping class :v:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Personally I think you should give it a scraped surface, take it to a Richard King scraping class :v:
It would be worth the $2000 for the class just to see his reaction.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I scraped the sides and bottom of my Lodge Dutch oven which was rough as a cob (also stank like burned oil). It's still not perfectly smooth but is better. The skillet is not as rough (and doesn't smell like burned oil) as the dutch oven and I made burgers last night and the sear was perfect so I'll probably leave it alone.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And does anyone who uses Amazon a lot know why it's 30% cheaper without the handle https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB

Probably a slow seller because you can't use it one handed. Although using a 12" one handed is pretty awkward with the short handle anyway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was at Target today and they had 12" Lodge skillets for $19.99. Also online.

https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-iron-12-inch-skillet/-/A-10291923

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

I was at Target today and they had 12" Lodge skillets for $19.99. Also online.

https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-iron-12-inch-skillet/-/A-10291923

$10 cheaper than Amazon and free local pick-up. Thank you!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

There's always ton of lodge stuff at every Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Homegoods I've ever been to. I got a pancake griddle for $12.99, and 8" flat and grill-bottomed pans for like $30 total. I've seen those bigger ones, but I don't need a pan that big just yet. Last week I saw a enameled dutch oven for $30 or so, I was livid because I just got one at target a month ago.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone got some dish soap and a scrub brush? This skillet is apparently over 100 years old, it’s like a Teflon non-stick surface!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

generally they're sized for 2 stove burners so 6-8 pancakes

Do you make pancakes for ants

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bob Morales posted:

Stack them. Gotta think in 3 dimensions.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

waffles tbh

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone have or use a Lodge charcoal grill? Worth it?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Costco currently has their own brand 10" and 12" skillet pack with silicone handles on sale for $24. I took a quick look at them and while the finish looked fairly typical for a non-Lodge skillet. I can't really think of a reason I need a 12" skillet though and I already have a 10".

https://www.costco.com/Tramontina-2-piece-Cast-Iron-Skillets.product.100392427.html

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Not exactly cast iron but I imagine similar. I have a carbon steel pan that was packed away for a while and when I got it out again I noticed some rust/discoloration about the size of a dime. Most of it I was able to brush off with steel wool but it looks like there might be some more stubborn bits. Any tips on the proper way to fix this? I'll likely just address it as if it's cast iron but I wanted to check first.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Most of what I've seen says to just treat it the same. I keep meaning to pick up a nice carbon steel wok...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
What's the general consensus on using Flaxseed oil? I applied it last seasoning with a sprayer and it appears to be holding up a hell of a lot better than the usual bacon drop method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Farking Bastage posted:

What's the general consensus on using Flaxseed oil? I applied it last seasoning with a sprayer and it appears to be holding up a hell of a lot better than the usual bacon drop method.

I swear by it. Over a year and counting, and I abuse the hell out of my cast iron with screaming hot temperature searing, and scrubbing hard with soap and copper wool.