Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«41 »
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been wanting an enamel dutch oven for awhile and it seems like a good price - would you buy?

Yes. Good price, and they are great for lots of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

7.5 is loving big for cooking alone & depressed tho

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm pretty sure my wife is real but ig it could be a multi-year psychotic break

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Meal prep + freeze leftovers
Share with people
Eat a lot of food...

So many options

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I had about 12 steaks that I sous vided, intending to sear them all in a cast iron pan. The first bunch turned out fine, but the second half of the steaks didn't sear great. After each steak, I waited for the pan to get back up to temp, but it seemed to take longer between each steak, and by the end it didn't seem hot at all, even though there were wisps of smoke coming up. The steaks just sat there not making a sound, and when I tried to deglaze with some stock, it was a big fat nothing, the stock just sat there, just steaming a tiny bit. We had to finish the rest with a blowtorch.

Is this normal? My theory is that the fond from all the steaks insulated the bottom of the pan, but I don't know.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Argue posted:

I had about 12 steaks that I sous vided, intending to sear them all in a cast iron pan. The first bunch turned out fine, but the second half of the steaks didn't sear great. After each steak, I waited for the pan to get back up to temp, but it seemed to take longer between each steak, and by the end it didn't seem hot at all, even though there were wisps of smoke coming up. The steaks just sat there not making a sound, and when I tried to deglaze with some stock, it was a big fat nothing, the stock just sat there, just steaming a tiny bit. We had to finish the rest with a blowtorch.

Is this normal? My theory is that the fond from all the steaks insulated the bottom of the pan, but I don't know.

Are you using a gas or electric range?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you using a gas or electric range?

Um... induction. Does that make a big difference?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

College Slice

Reason he's asking, is it sounds like your heat was turned off.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hm, well we were speculating the induction cooktop might be busted, but the pan was the only thing we had on us at the time that was appropriate for using on it. I'll have to test with an empty pan and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

Cast iron and induction is sorta a hard thing for constant searing in my experience and I've had similar results. When you get the cast iron up to > 600 degrees or w/e, which you were with the initial steaks, induction hobs turn off. The cast iron holds the heat well enough that the hob just won't turn back on. Heat doesn't go through cast iron very well so it could have been insulated, just likely not by the fond.

I've been semi-successful avoiding this issue by using a poo poo-ton of oil.

«41 »