Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been wanting an enamel dutch oven for awhile and it seems like a good price - would you buy?

Yes. Good price, and they are great for lots of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

7.5 is loving big for cooking alone & depressed tho

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm pretty sure my wife is real but ig it could be a multi-year psychotic break

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Meal prep + freeze leftovers
Share with people
Eat a lot of food...

So many options

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I had about 12 steaks that I sous vided, intending to sear them all in a cast iron pan. The first bunch turned out fine, but the second half of the steaks didn't sear great. After each steak, I waited for the pan to get back up to temp, but it seemed to take longer between each steak, and by the end it didn't seem hot at all, even though there were wisps of smoke coming up. The steaks just sat there not making a sound, and when I tried to deglaze with some stock, it was a big fat nothing, the stock just sat there, just steaming a tiny bit. We had to finish the rest with a blowtorch.

Is this normal? My theory is that the fond from all the steaks insulated the bottom of the pan, but I don't know.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Argue posted:

I had about 12 steaks that I sous vided, intending to sear them all in a cast iron pan. The first bunch turned out fine, but the second half of the steaks didn't sear great. After each steak, I waited for the pan to get back up to temp, but it seemed to take longer between each steak, and by the end it didn't seem hot at all, even though there were wisps of smoke coming up. The steaks just sat there not making a sound, and when I tried to deglaze with some stock, it was a big fat nothing, the stock just sat there, just steaming a tiny bit. We had to finish the rest with a blowtorch.

Is this normal? My theory is that the fond from all the steaks insulated the bottom of the pan, but I don't know.

Are you using a gas or electric range?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you using a gas or electric range?

Um... induction. Does that make a big difference?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Reason he's asking, is it sounds like your heat was turned off.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hm, well we were speculating the induction cooktop might be busted, but the pan was the only thing we had on us at the time that was appropriate for using on it. I'll have to test with an empty pan and see.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cast iron and induction is sorta a hard thing for constant searing in my experience and I've had similar results. When you get the cast iron up to > 600 degrees or w/e, which you were with the initial steaks, induction hobs turn off. The cast iron holds the heat well enough that the hob just won't turn back on. Heat doesn't go through cast iron very well so it could have been insulated, just likely not by the fond.

I've been semi-successful avoiding this issue by using a poo poo-ton of oil.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Walked past the Le Creuseut store today. Walked in and managed to convince my fiancée we should get a couple

Now to decide between the classic round or an oval pot, and I'm curious to hear what y'all think between the two

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
So I have something for the cast iron thread that might be of some interest. I was helping my girlfriend clean out her nana's garage and we came across some interesting cookware pieces.

It looks like they have been very much neglected over the past few decades so be warned :siren:these pictures may not be safe for work or the faint of heart.:siren:

-------------------------------------------------

Based on the handle loop I'm guessing that this is some kind of campfire pot? Can you guess what the cast identification is on the bottom?

That's right, Griswold. I looked this one up and found out that it is a Griswold French Deep Fat Fryer Pot #1003 which is pretty neat; I have no clue what year it might be though. :shrug:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/527132331360104265/

I haven't measured these but these look to be an eight inch and six inch skillet.

The smaller skillet is a Wagner Ware Sidney skillet looking at the identification on the bottom. (Wagner Ware Sidney -0- 1055H)
I found lots of pictures of Sidney pieces but I didn't find any specifically with the 'H' designation so I'm at a loss on this one.

vvvvvv The larger skillet is the one that I would really like to identify if possible. vvvvvv

There are no identifying marks but it does have a full heat ring on the bottom...

...and it has an '8' stamped into the top of the handle closest to the skillet. The bottom of the handle also has an interesting rib that's been cast in that seems unique; maybe that could be a clue to what it could be?

They are very very neglected and are some of the worst examples I've seen but being that they're all cast iron pieces I'm sure they're salvagable, correct?
Any doubts I can bring these pieces back into fighting shape? My girlfriend's uncle suggested the old school 'throw em in a bonfire' trick but maybe there are alternatives to building a big ol' pyre for these offerings to the cast iron gods?

--------------------------------------

Since this is the cast iron thread I also have another little treat for you to admire...

Saw this in the kitchen of the church that my father preaches in and had to snap a picture. Hopefully y'all like it as much as I did :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I have a skillet that's almost identical to the 8 inch one you'd like to ID, including the rib cast into the handle. No idea about manufacturer, sorry, but it's a hell of a pan, one of my favorites, and well worth the restoration.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

coupedeville posted:

They are very very neglected and are some of the worst examples I've seen but being that they're all cast iron pieces I'm sure they're salvagable, correct?
Any doubts I can bring these pieces back into fighting shape? My girlfriend's uncle suggested the old school 'throw em in a bonfire' trick but maybe there are alternatives to building a big ol' pyre for these offerings to the cast iron gods?

If you don't want to build a fire, an indoor oven self-cleaning cycle will effectively do the same thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love that clock. That sort of thing is normally a fair ways from my aesthetic, but maybe I need to make an exception.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

plester1 posted:

If you don't want to build a fire, an indoor oven self-cleaning cycle will effectively do the same thing.

Yeah I caught up on the thread over Thanksgiving break and have read those words at least a hundred times lol but no self-cleaning cycle currently available for these poor pans :(

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have a skillet that's almost identical to the 8 inch one you'd like to ID, including the rib cast into the handle. No idea about manufacturer, sorry, but it's a hell of a pan, one of my favorites, and well worth the restoration.

I'm going to do some more looking around for sure I just thought I'd ask here in case someone had some arcane cast iron knowledge that would help me out :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just realized I can strip cast iron in the wood stove that runs every single day. Time to get to work on my less-used pans!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Just be careful to heat the pan evenly - avoid putting a cold pan directly into an already blazing fire. Sucks to bulge the bottom of a 14" skillet like I did (on an electric stove).

Otherwise, should work fine. This was the standard once a year cleaning routine back in our greatgrandmother's day.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

X13Fen posted:

Walked past the Le Creuseut store today. Walked in and managed to convince my fiancée we should get a couple

Now to decide between the classic round or an oval pot, and I'm curious to hear what y'all think between the two

I have an 8-qt oval enameled cast iron dutch oven, and if I did it all over again I'd definitely get a round one. For stuff in the oven it's absolutely fine, but when I'm using it on the stovetop, the round area directly under the burner obviously gets hotter than the sides of the oven that aren't over the burner.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

X13Fen posted:

I have a lot of Le Creuset pieces and I would highly recommend a round over an oval for the reason The Midniter explain. As for sizes, my most used is the 5.5qt round dutch oven when cooking enough food for 4 servings (2 people + left overs). After that I probably use my 2.5qt round dutch oven. If you like making soup and a lot of it, i'd go up a size and get the 7.25qt but that's a lot of soup.

I also like their braisers and their cast iron roasting pans.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 27, 2018

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Target has $25 off kitchen appliances and cookware right now, including the Lodge cast iron. A few are out of stock online, but I think the sale is in store as well.

I had an additional 20% off coupon that stacked, so I drat near finished up my cast iron collection last night. Sadly the 10" was out of stock by the time I came around.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a cast iron pan with a bit of rust and old seasoning and I want to give it the electrolysis treatment. But I'm having a hard time finding a manual car battery charger that's sold locally (all of the local stores sell automatic ones).

Will this Schumacher Trickle charger work? Or is it too light duty to get the job done?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I need a hand finding out how old this pan is. It's a lodge p10s it says.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Alrighty, my parents just gave me a Wagnerware No. 8. It's... well an interesting piece. It's thinner than my Lodge skillets, and it seems like someone tried to smooth it out at some point. It had some light surface rust and the swirls in the bottom make it look like someone tried to refinish it / polish it up at some point in it's life.

Two things:
1) Anything in particular I should be aware of? My Lodge skillets are new-ish, maybe 10 years old, but they're mine and replaceable. I give no fucks about throwing them on a burner set to high, a hot grill, hot oven, whatever. I don't abuse them, but I don't think twice about... well really anything with them. They're workhorses. This one is a good deal lighter / thinner feeling. Anything I might want to be aware of, like not using on high heat or watching the oven temp?

Right now it's got a light coat of vegetable oil and is baking in a 450F oven for an hour. I preheated it on the stove and put it in the oven (upside down) while it finished preheating up to 450F.... which leads me to my next question.

2) What's the best oil for seasoning this thing? Vegetable oil is fine, it's what I have and use, but I thought about trying something else since this pan semi-qualifies as an antique. Lots of people are saying other oils are more durable and such, so... what's the best? I looked the other night at the store, and Flaxseed, Rapeseed (Or Grapeseed? I forget) and others are all around the same price (9-12 bucks), so it's not a huge expense. But, it'd only be used for this so I want something good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Flaxseed, though I've also heard (I think here) that for really old (and typically smooth) pieces that lard is great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kenji holds that flaxseed seasoning is brittle, though that hasn’t been my experience. I don’t know who to believe!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I use grapeseed oil and follow this process.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hm. I'll go for grapeseed and see what happens. I've thrown a couple coats of vegetable oil on there just to keep the rust at bay and that's taken to it really well.

But since I've got another one in rotation now, I might play with some different oils now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flaxseed hasn't proven brittle for me at all, and I've been using it for years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s what I told Kenji too! He insists.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I don't agree with Saint Lopez on everything, and certainly not that. I also think his black bean recipe sucks, and I like my burgers with egg and breadcrumbs and herbs. His tastes don't always align with mine, and that's fine. But he's just straight up wrong on this one.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I like my burgers with egg and breadcrumbs and herbs.

You mean you like to eat your meatloaf with a bun?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, odd question. I have put a couple coats of vegetable oil on this new skillet and now it has a reddish orange to it. Is that normal or is there rust lurking under that seasoning somehow? I was pretty sure I got it all off, but now I'm not sure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it may be on too thick. Is it gummy?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nope. Not gummy at all and feels pretty slick. Would a different impurities in the metal itself cause that? I've only ever dealt with Lodge cast iron.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

QuarkMartial posted:

So, odd question. I have put a couple coats of vegetable oil on this new skillet and now it has a reddish orange to it. Is that normal or is there rust lurking under that seasoning somehow? I was pretty sure I got it all off, but now I'm not sure.

So, dumb question, but you meant you seasoned it this way right?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
When I got it, there was some light rust on it, so I gave it a thorough scrub and got it all off. Dried out, put a thin coat of vegetable oil on there and put it in a 425F oven for an hour, then cut the oven off and let it cool in there. I did subsequent coats the same way, but at 375F for an hour.

I've never done a seasoning from bare iron before, so maybe this is just part of the process?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I'm no expert, but when I ground flat my lodge it was definitely a weird orange-red after doing a fresh seasoning. Just kept cooking with it, turned out fine. Since you already said it's not tacky I'm going to guess you'll be fine too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
My first cast iron pan, a 12.5 preseasoned no name brand, arrived today from amazon. I’m loathe to turn into a massive sperg about it, as I have been wont to do with various things in the past, but I also want to know that I’m treating it properly. From the sounds of it, the most important upkeep advice is to wash with water, not scrubbing too hard, and drying immediately. I should cook with peanut or sunflower oil rather than olive oil, and other than that just not worry about it too much? How necessary is the whole ‘dry on the stove over a medium heat and then rub down with oil and heat for another minute or two’ step? Should I do this every time I use it?

I’m mainly planning on using it for steak and meat, and making pizzas.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You literally cannot gently caress it up in a way that takes more than 24 hours to fix unless you have industrial equipment. Season it a few times if it didn’t come pre-seasoned, use 50% more oil than you otherwise would, and dry it thoroughly after washing. You can use soap and water, you can scrub with anything non-metal: seasoning creates a pretty hard polymer.

You can cook with whatever oil you would normally use, or bacon grease, or butter, or duck fat. For seasoning, people who are not Kenji like flaxseed, and I think he prefers safflower or something. Again, you’re never in more than 24 hours of trouble.

You got this.

E: I will usually not dry over heat, just paper towels, and I never re-wipe with oil. I started out obsessive but it’s much nicer to treat it as a tool instead of a delicate instrument.