Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kenji replies to a tweet of mine and said flaxseed flakes off too easily, but I still use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Subjunctive posted:

Kenji replies to a tweet of mine and said flaxseed flakes off too easily, but I still use it.

I've heard that, but I think flaxseed bonds to bare metal fine and only flakes off if you didn't strip it right first :shrug:

Kind of a "no true Scotsman" of me but it's worked for my 10", 12" griddle, and carbon steel so far. ~14 months of regular use on my 10", with a flaxseed base and the thinnest possible sunflower oil maintenance each time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Farking Bastage posted:

What's the general consensus on using Flaxseed oil? I applied it last seasoning with a sprayer and it appears to be holding up a hell of a lot better than the usual bacon drop method.

In my experience, bacon fat makes lovely, fragile seasoning. I don’t know why people swear by it the way they do.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

After I use the pan I rinse it out, spread some canola oil super thin, chuck it on a burner until it just starts to smoke, and put it away. I don't use flax seed or whatever and it doesn't flake.

IMO don't overthink it. :justcook:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Farking Bastage posted:

What's the general consensus on using Flaxseed oil? I applied it last seasoning with a sprayer and it appears to be holding up a hell of a lot better than the usual bacon drop method.

I found the initial seasoning with it was great but ended up flaking bad down the line. I wouldn’t use it again.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

ColdPie posted:

After I use the pan I rinse it out, spread some canola oil super thin, chuck it on a burner until it just starts to smoke, and put it away. I don't use flax seed or whatever and it doesn't flake.

IMO don't overthink it. :justcook:

I use olive oil cuz it's what I have on hand/I haven't thought about buying a specific oil to season. I'm finally building back a good season on my skillet after several people mistreated the poor thing and soaked it/scrubbed the poo poo out of it. It didn't help that I accidentally burned my season off either attempt to reseason it but forgetting that I left it on a burner set too high :doh:.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

AmazonBasics has enameled dutch ovens now

E: and apparently a whole pre seasoned cast iron set

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 19, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Farking Bastage posted:

I had to strip some pans and gave it a go a year or so ago. I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical. but the poo poo works better than anything else I've used, just anecdotally.

I think if you don't season a pan correctly, it'll get splotchy and dumb, but any fat will do that. I was really careful with mine and stripped all my metal down to the bone, and I have a nice smooth mirrorlike sheen that hasn't gone away or suffered from any of the abuse I've thrown at it, whereas lard and crisco have not been as durable for me.

I think I did 3 thin layers of flax over a 4 hour burn before putting the pan in rotation... fwiw

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I also used flax the initial seasoning of my pan and the finish is killer. My dad was visiting one day and just walking through the kitchen was like "holy poo poo is that your pan? How did you get it like that?" I haven't really done anything special outside of that initial process.

Edit: in other depressing news, the house we moved into has electric appliances and a glass cook top. Is it true i can't use my pan on it anymore?
:negative:

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 22, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You can, but if you slide it when repositioning it you may scratch the glass, and if you drop it any more than a half inch it may shatter.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's fine, just don't drop it. It might get scratched a little, but who cares, cooking surfaces are meant to be used, and ranges have pretty low resale value so whatever. Consider replacing it sometime.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

People waaaaaaaaay overblow the whole cast iron/electric range thing.

The only range I’ve ever damaged with cast iron was a gas range I dropped the pan onto the edge of and chipped the finish. :v:

Sair
May 11, 2007

The only issue with cast iron on a glass range is it's a bit heavier. Just keep it clean and try not slide stuff around, having some grit under the pan is what's going to scratch it. That's true for normal pots and pans as well.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Sair posted:

The only issue with cast iron on a glass range is it's a bit heavier. Just keep it clean and try not slide stuff around, having some grit under the pan is what's going to scratch it. That's true for normal pots and pans as well.

This. My cast iron has been exiled to the basement range since we got a glass top eight years ago and despite special pots and never sliding them the surface is still scratched. Grit gets on there, the pot rotates slightly, and there you are. I think burnt sugar might have a bad effect too on some ceramics. Don't finish your maple syrup on your glass range. :canada:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So what’s the consensus on cast irons actually leeching iron into our food etc? Minimal at best?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So what’s the consensus on cast irons actually leeching iron into our food etc? Minimal at best?

There is leaching but for most it's a non-issue.

There are studies that show a significant iron increase in foods cooked in cast iron. I don't know what these studies meant by "significant" or if they used well seasoned / sealed cookware to begin with. One referenced applesauce, an acidic food some of us would not consider cooking in cast iron. :stare:

Unless you're a weird Antarctic Ocean fish using copper based blood for oxygen transport iron is essential for life. Given the prevalence of low iron levels in North Americans (especially women) leaching iron looks like a feature, not a bug. I'd only be concerned if the levels were high enough to change the taste of the food or there is hemochromatosis in your family tree. (Or, you're already eating liver for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and tea, in which case you're on your own.)

edit: I did some quick Googling after posting and quickly tripped into the usual Internet cesspool you hit every time you try to research a health issue. Apparently all types of cookware are going to kill you but there is hope:

"Titanium cookware seems to pose the least health risks and doesn't react with food while cooking. Part of a good cancer prevention plan is to ditch all others and buy high quality titanium cookware. Premium titanium cookware is more expensive but inferior cookware will actually cost more over time."

I look forward to reading about cookware made from recycled Soviet nuclear submarines.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 22, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

brb buying a $10,000 saucepan

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If there's any iron getting into your food that's a good thing. That's why they give Lucky Iron Fish to people in poor countries who have iron deficiencies.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iron is something you want in your diet. I hope and assume cooking with iron puts iron into anything I'm cooking with.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

McSpankWich posted:

Edit: in other depressing news, the house we moved into has electric appliances and a glass cook top. Is it true i can't use my pan on it anymore?
:negative:

you're gonna shatter or scratch the poo poo

if you're renting, gently caress

if you own, just replace the hob. used, it's a $300-500 project at most. new, $500-1000. worth every penny - you're probably using it the majority of the days of the week for the next ~5 years at least. I've hemmed and hawwed over kitchen projects before, only to eventually do them, and realize how much happier I am and how much happier I could have been for the preceding years, for the exact same amount of money, if I didn't hem and haw for all that goddamn time. just spend the money. you're worth it. yolo etc

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hexigrammus posted:

I look forward to reading about cookware made from recycled Soviet nuclear submarines.

When the soviet union broke up, some Iron Curtain countries had been involved in high level titanium and crazy spacecraft alloy smelting for export back to the USSR. With no one to buy them, they had to turn their crazy expensive alloys into shovels and gardening tools.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

When the soviet union broke up, some Iron Curtain countries had been involved in high level titanium and crazy spacecraft alloy smelting for export back to the USSR. With no one to buy them, they had to turn their crazy expensive alloys into shovels and gardening tools.

That's the trouble with this timeline. You can't make an absurd joke without discovering that it's really happening.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Fender Anarchist posted:

brb buying a $10,000 saucepan

Amazon has some pretty inexpensive cook sets, but if you read closely it turns out that "Titanium" is the brand name and they're actually anodized aluminum with a non-stick plastic coating. :haw:

The titanium camping gear is probably legit, if you don't mind paying $85 US for the equivalent of a large mug with a wire handle and looking like a hobo while you cook.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry I should have prefaced about the iron leeching. I swear by my skillets and love them. I had always assumed maybe you got a tiny bit of iron when cooking with a skillet, and then of course some people use the iron fish

On fb a health minded individual had posted an article about just how bad Teflon and the likes really is. Ah hell might as well post the article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/how-the-epa-and-the-pentagon-downplayed-a-growing-toxic-threat.html

Everyone was tripping over themselves to recommend skillets, but he had mentioned he uses stainless because he has too much iron due to health reasons and while leeching was minimal at best acidic foods can worsen it. So, pretty much in line with what was already said here!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 23, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ColdPie posted:

It's fine, just don't drop it. It might get scratched a little, but who cares, cooking surfaces are meant to be used, and ranges have pretty low resale value so whatever. Consider replacing it sometime.

Have one in my house now, had one two houses ago, it's fine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've actually found since I went full cast-iron cooking my cravings for red meat have decreased. Never gone, obviously, since steak is loving amazing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My gf and I use cast iron for literally everything including red pasta sauce and she still has low iron.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
yeah I thought the seasoning probably got in the way of much iron actually getting into the food? the lucky iron fish thing is very much a different setup

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

On fb a health minded individual had posted an article about just how bad Teflon and the likes really is. Ah hell might as well post the article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/how-the-epa-and-the-pentagon-downplayed-a-growing-toxic-threat.html

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that article is about water contamination from manufacturing processes, not about cooking with Teflon cookware.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today's email from Brad's Deals has a deal on 3 skillets for $17, plus a $10 mail-in rebate (must download the form):

https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/371309?c_id=3474&u_id=67424549&d=110118

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got a gorgeous dutch oven, but it has a void on the inside near the bottom. ~1mm across, 2.5mm deep. Is this concerning? I could try to fill it in through typical seasoning, filling it with polymerized oil, but I feel that it won't be the same as solid cast iron no matter how we treat it.

I feel like it's wasteful to ship such a heavy package back, but then again I want this thing to last for centuries, so?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I have no idea what that picture is showing me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McSpankWich posted:

I have no idea what that picture is showing me.

I think he's freaking out about that tiny speck up and to the left of the top corner of the ruler.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I think he's freaking out about that tiny speck up and to the left of the top corner of the ruler.

I saw that little chip and thought "No, it couldn't be that, there has to be something I'm missing."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

McSpankWich posted:

I saw that little chip and thought "No, it couldn't be that, there has to be something I'm missing."
Okay thank you I was worried I was blind or something.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's a hole halfway through the wall. Didn't intend to imply the sky is falling, just asking if that's something to be concerned about.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BrianBoitano posted:

It's a hole halfway through the wall. Didn't intend to imply the sky is falling, just asking if that's something to be concerned about.

Yes, it is ruined forever, send it to me.

Actually, scratch that. Does anyone in the Jacksonville FL area want a decent old no-name cast iron? I have two size 8's, one is an old Griswold and the other is the no-name. The Griswold was a gift/taken out of my grandma's basement and saved from rusty oblivion. it's a slant logo, so probably 1920's-ish. The no name is just a nice 10 1/2 in MADE IN USA. So if anyone wants it, pm me.

I would also ship it if you pay shipping.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 4, 2018

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Found a lodge 7.5 qt enamel dutch oven for $50 at the maxxx but it had a chip in the inside enamel on the lid (not a cooking surface). How bad would that chip be long term?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Found a lodge 7.5 qt enamel dutch oven for $50 at the maxxx but it had a chip in the inside enamel on the lid (not a cooking surface). How bad would that chip be long term?

Between not-at-all and it-will-annoy-you-every-now-and-then-when-you-remember-it's-there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Between not-at-all and it-will-annoy-you-every-now-and-then-when-you-remember-it's-there

I've been wanting an enamel dutch oven for awhile and it seems like a good price - would you buy?