Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

FetusSlapper posted:

You could just start cooking on it as well.

This is what I did with my 10" Lodge about 10 years ago. No complaints so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Sweet, first thing I cooked in mine was a fried egg too, this pan came up really nice. It stuck a little bit, but I'd only really put two coats of oil on it.

I may be way off base here, but is that a Le Creuset with the "satin black" interior surface? I inherited one of those and I have no idea how to use/clean it. Treating it like my Lodge doesn't seem to work. Treating it like a normal pan doesn't seem to work.

moller fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 22, 2016

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Also if you were searing meat and have crust all over the bottom of your pan, deglaze that poo poo and make a pan sauce or gravy.

Cast iron cookware has all of these maybes and ambiguities that make people think it's super complicated, but your illiterate dirt farming ancestors figured it out well enough.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I actually have an apartment with an electric range for once - Boo! But on the upside, I now have an electric oven and access to a self clean cycle. I am wondering however - the electric oven has a heating element that covers the "floor" and I'm led to believe you have to remove the oven racks for the self clean cycle or they warp.

So, uh, where do I put the cast iron I'm trying to strip?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I still find I'm not very good at getting a nice deep brown crust on SV'd steaks in cast iron. I usually puddle to 130. I tend to end up either with a steak that's light brown-to-gray but good pink meat, or a great seared crust but a very wide band of overcooked meat. I'm patting the steaks dry before I sear. Only thing I can think of is I'm not heating the pan enough? I would have thought 10 minutes on high flame would do it though.

If I want my cast iron searing hot for, uh, searing I generally chuck it in a 500+ degree oven for as long as I can stand before tossing it over the flame. I would hypothesize that the radiant heat of the oven gets the entire piece of metal up to temperature as opposed to just the surface exposed to the flame, which could then provide, eh, 'thermal inertia.'

spankmeister posted:

You will still need some oil. A well seasoned pan is fairly non-stick but it can never be as good as teflon.

I've heard legends of venerable griswolds.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Mosch posted:

Fire, you say? Sure, I can build a fire. So pile up some wood, get a fire going, throw the wok on top for a few minutes?

I *think* the general idea is to put it in the coals, but you wanna make sure it heats up and cools down somewhat gradually if you're worried about cracking.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

You need butter though, because it tastes good.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

My ten inch Lodge looks roughly 50x more uneven than that. Uh-oh.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

$35 at Costco I think I'm going to get it

The egg rings and silicon scrapers seem pretty useless, you might want to look at a thrift store and save $33.

EDIT: If you're using the price to justify the purchase, I mean. If you want it, go hog wild ofc.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah don't get me wrong board scrapers are cool as hell, but they're also generally pretty cheap and not much of a value-add to the Costco combo pack thing.

I used to use a board scraper to open iPods for battery replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

do you need to grease up the silicone molds like metal?

Probably not but it can't hurt and butter tastes good?