Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The old cast iron thread was only 21 pages. I guess someone must have let it soak in the sink, and it got rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

Aren't there a bunch of issues with aluminium being porous and soap possibly not getting cleaned off all the way? One year in the boy scouts, one of the kids in my troop got pretty bad diarrhea and the adults thought it was because he didn't rinse off his aluminium mess set well enough.

That strikes me as bullshit. Aluminum isn't porous in a way that would be at all relevant in that situation. Even if it was, the amount of soap you'd ingest would be negligible.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

The paddle looks great and Titetbond 2 should work fine as long as you don't leave the paddle in the hot liquid any longer than necessary. Moisture and heat is the recommended way to disassemble parts glued together with Titebond. Titebond 3 may have been a better choice since it is rated as waterproof while Titebond 2 is rated as water resistant. Both have the same food safe rating.

It will probably be fine as long as you remove the paddle while you're not stirring.

Excellent username/post combo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"Thou shall, however, know a healthy respect of grabbing the handle of a pan right out of the oven."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

According to the package I'm looking at it can stand up to 550F when fully cured.

JBWeld is epoxy-Jesus.

JBWeld is great for fixing leaks, but it's not structural. You could *maybe* weld the handle back on, but welding cast iron is tricky, and unless you work in a welding shop, is going to be more expensive than just replacing the pan.

If this was your grandma's 150 year old Griswold, you should drill and tap a hole in the handle and a hole where the handle was, use a steel stud to mechanically connect the two pieces, and then place a weld to hold the connection in place. Of course, at shop rates, that would run you a few hundred bucks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

Is this worth $20 or so at my local thrift shop, or would that same $20 be better spent on a lodge? This would be my first cast iron.

That is a Lodge, made some time between 1960 and 1987 probably, per http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

It'd be a neat piece, and every bit as good (if not maybe a skoch better?) than a modern Lodge.

e: f;b

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah, but "hand made in Syracuse" doesn't exactly equate to tolerances of 0.0001"

Is there anything fundamentally dangerous about cooking on a mild steel griddle?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Midniter posted:

How do I convince my wife I need a $100 cast iron pan

Gentle mistruths. "Oh look at what we've had forever and didn't just arrive via UPS!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Glass scratches steel, not the other way around. Just don't drop it on the cooktop or set it down super hard.

Color me surprised; you're absolutely right about that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ma i married a tuna posted:

It's cool that they want to make good cast iron, but why are they making it more expensive than the old good cast iron? You can find a griswold for $50-60 without looking very hard, and a lot less if you do spend some effort.

Because it turns out you can't make a small run of new, high quality pans for $50-60, and you can't make a large run of new, high quality pans without a gigantic rear end-ton of money up front. A lot of people are willing to trade more money for the guarantee of having something new in their hand, versus the time investment of trolling eBay or the Salvation Army store.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Enourmo posted:

My dream house is a bedroom/bathroom with an 8 car garage/shop and a simple kitchen with an ACTUAL EXTERNAL-VENTING HOOD OVER THE STOVE IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

I'm hoping my wife and I can move to a single-family home next year. I can install a venting hood if it doesn't already come with one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah, I also want a single family home so I can shut off the smoke detectors when I'm cooking.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You just have to season the kettle by brewing some bacon tea every now and again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you're gonna take an angle grinder to a pan, use a flap wheel instead of a grinding wheel.

instead of

A grinding wheel is for moving a _lot_ of metal, while a flap wheel is great for smoothing out surfaces and taking off coatings.

For the love of god, don't use a cutoff wheel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You've ruined it. Most compassionate thing to do now is put a single bullet where the handle meets the body, out behind the garden shed. Quickly now, the poor pan is suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Metal fume fever isn't a big concern if you're running your electrolysis rig outside and aren't huffing the gas coming off of it. However, if you're looking for a *safe* sacrificial anode, just find a chunk of iron or steel. If it's rusty and a magnet sticks to it, have fun!