Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

funkatron3000 posted:

Lastly, the personal set. There's no culinary reason to have all the sizes, it's just collecting at this point. I'm still looking for a good deal on a flat #10. I doubt the #2 will ever happen, way too expensive. I've got some other odds and ends like a slant logo dutch oven that's great for roasting chickens and a popover pan that makes great cornbread. The #9 is my go to for cast iron cooking, eggs will slide right off of it. Although honestly, 80% of the time I just use my stainless pans.

:aaaaa: those were all made in my city?! At least we've done something useful here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

funkatron3000 posted:

It took a few years, but the collection is complete. #2-#10 of the smooth bottom large block logo pans.

That's cool and all, but I wanted some neat little Griswold thing to cap off the collection.

In 1951, the city of Erie, PA held a centennial parade to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the city's incorporation. Griswold had a float in the parade and handed out 2,000 small cast iron pups with "Griswold pup" on the back and the number "30" on the back of the head. They were the only ones ever made, so people collect them. To complicate things though, around 2005 a bunch of crappy reproductions from China hit the market. You can tell them apart because the casting quality is really poor - rough surface and grinding marks.

In 1980, a couple named Bill & Denise Harned bought a few of these pups from an antique store in Erie for their personal collection. Five years later they went on to author the first book on Griswold cast iron, "Griswold Cast Collectibles - History and Values". There are newer better books now, but it was first, which is cool.

Welp, they put one of their pups up for sale and I bought it.

And now it sits on my desk at work.

Huh my city isn't completely lame after all.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Walked downstairs this morning, and sitting on the stove was a 12" Lodge :gizz:. My first cast iron pan.

Going to make so many pizzas. It's a huge pan so I'm not sure what else to make in it. Also nice to have something I can put in the oven for once.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Drifter posted:

A single serving of steak. (land- or water-based)

Pies. Delicious pies. (brownies and cookies and crumbles also count)

Mac & Cheese (the real kind)

Fuckin' Chicken (gently caress yeah)

Fajitas ( rale, a guevo!)

Jus' a li'l bit of Cornbread

Dutch babies (cheaper to make than to buy one at an orphanage)

Went and found some recipes. Going to eat all the babies.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I've reheated pizza in a skillet w/ lid, and the "wrap in foil, freeze, heat in oven". Both work well, much better than microwaving and getting soggy crust.

Got some fixings for bar pies, so gonna try making those sometime this week.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Just made a batch of cornbread...this thing is going to the end of me.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Hunterhr posted:

Did you cook it in bacon grease? You should.

I've tried frying potatoes in bacon grease once and it wasn't very good. Wary of it ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I had the same issue with my first oven cycle. Turning the heat up fixed it. Like if you did it on 350, bump it up to 400, etc.

I made a Dutch baby I could just lift out of the pan...felt good.