Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I cooked some pasta sauce in my hackmann dutch oven and that royally hosed up my seasoning. I cleaned it and put it away but i forgot to wipe it down and now it's rusty.

I fail at cast iron. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

is it induction, ceramic or halogen?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You could try putting parchment paper in between.(backpapier)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Butch Cassidy posted:

What's the whole appeal of ceramic stovetops, anyway? Easy cleanup and sealed burners?

Every owner I have talked to has hated them or been a compulsive neat freak babying it and never answering the why.

Those open topped spiral burners are not at all prevalent in europe so if you have an electric range you get a glass topped one nowadays.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I thought Germans generally took their appliances with them when moving?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've played seven days to die, I can attest to that. All the pots you find in the postapocalyptic world are cast iron.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah not sure why you'd want to use wd-40

Just a quick wipe with any neutral cooking oil or crisco or whatever will do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

niss posted:

Just from looking at the thumbnail picture, I thought you burnt a hole in your pan and was like how the gently caress did you do that.

yeah that was my initial reaction as well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

funkatron3000 posted:

Cross posting from the Post Your Recent Purchases thread

I bought a 150 year old 30 gallon cast iron cauldron for cooking a large amount of food for a large amount of people. It took almost a year to find since a lot of them have had holes drilled through the bottom and turned into rusted out planters. The metal underneath the crud on this one is in really great shape. :woop:

I'm in the middle of stripping off the old seasoning now, so far so good. The inside is as smooth as any Griswold, no pitting at all.

That owns.

Would cook a giant batch of chili in there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How are you going to get it out of the kitchen? Disassemble it again?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

By the way the penny just dropped on your name. :lsd:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Planet X posted:

I was going to consider the lye method to strip them before reseasoning, but I can't find regular lye at the store. I figured I'd get some off of amazon, some gloves and goggles, and put it all in a bag and let it work its magic. Anyone done this?

Look for caustic soda or sodium hydroxide in the drain cleaner section at the hardware store.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Drifter posted:

I wouldn't think 2 pounds would be heavy enough to waste your money. squish things.

I suppose they'd be good for keeping steaks, chops and burgers flat

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eh it's fine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cast iron is brittle and he might be unlucky enough for there to be a casting flaw in the handle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You could also use JB weld to stick any old piece of metal on there. Even the old handle!

Is JB weld heat resistant enough?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got myself a Lodge 12" skillet a couple of days ago, and have been experimenting with it since.

I've made this simple recipe that is loving amazing for breakfast:

1. fry a bunch of bacon, I use thick cut English back bacon. Use a grill press if you have one
2. put the bacon aside on a plate or whatever
3. get 2 slices of good bread.
4. put soft goat's cheese in between.
5. place in pan, low heat, soaking up all those good bacon juices.
6. Use the grill press if you have it
7. flip over once.
8. once the cheese is melted and the bread is nice and cruncy like a grilled cheese, open it up and put some of the bacon in from earlier

9. eat

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

I know, it is loving super expensive here in europe. I am not really sure whether to buy one or just say gently caress it. Alledgedly the cast iron price is so high.
The 12" Lodge Logic pan that I saw for 24 USD in New Orleans and could not take with me on the plane cost 35€ here back then, I did not buy It because I didn't need it immediately and now it costs 55€.
Prices over here are poo poo because they think people can afford it, Germans are rich anyway. That regularly screws us over.

Where are you located? I have a vague recollection that you're Dutch. There's a store here in The Hague where they sell Lodge. It's an expensive-rear end cooking store so the markup is hefty so don't expect amazon prices but still they're like 30-40% of Le Creuset.

e: Although... German? Anyway, let me know I might be able to help you out anyway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm an idiot who doesn't know exchange rates. For some reason I thought 45 euro was like 80 usd.

The good old days.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm a bit on the fence due to the thickness of it, or rather lack thereof. I wonder if we'll see a lot of breakages or not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My oven does not have a cleaning cycle, what's the best way to strip a pan without it? It goes up to 250C, about 480F, is that hot enough?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pubic Lair posted:

Using a self cleaning oven is the easiest, maybe you could see if a friend does? You could also use oven cleaner spray and put it in a plastic bag for a few hours. You could also fire it by putting it in the coals of a campfire or in a BBQ grill.
u

Also I find putting seasoning works best around 550F when using Flax so you may have issues at 480F. I used 500F and the seasoning never set. Not sure if more time would help or not.

Hmm this may explain why I'm having issues getting a good seasoning in the first place...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use the leftover pieces of skin to check the oil temperature.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah you need the refined kind iirc, and the "healthy" kind has all kinds of acids and stuff that you don't want

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Enameled is perfect for making tomato sauces etc. Although I have a plain cast iron dutch oven and I cook acidic sauces in it all the dam time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You will still need some oil. A well seasoned pan is fairly non-stick but it can never be as good as teflon.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Molds like that don't require seasoning, unless you want to make burgers shaped like gingerbread house parts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try preheating your skillet in the oven if you haven't already. Also, a knob of butter gives a great sweet, nutty flavor to the crust.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

One caveat on dumping water into a screaming hot pan: Doing so tends to aerosolize the fat in the pan, which may then ignite if your burner is on. May only be a risk with gas burners, but it happened to me twice and the flash fire was enough to melt the blades inside my exhaust fan.

I once set fire to my stove hood that way, the filter hadn't been cleaned in a while and was full of grease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Supermarkets are catching on here, I bought a piece of pork shoulder that has been SV'd for 48hrs. All you need to do is heat it up and pull the meat for a sv pp sandwich.