Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Skillets are my preferred method for reheating leftover pizza (if the pizza is good enough to bother reheating). Sometimes I use my cast iron, but only if it's on the stove already since whatever skillet is nearest at hand is good enough. 20s in the microwave to melt the cheese then on the pan until the crust is crispy. Sometimes seems even better than when it was fresh.

Not sure I'd bother with a Totinos, but what the hell do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of lint/fuzz-free cloth I could use to wipe my pan out after using it? I know water's not going to harm the pan but I'm loath to use it, so I normally just use a bunch of paper towels when I'm wiping it out. However, if there are any crusties on it or something, I have to scrub harder which leaves little fibers from the paper towels on it. How can I avoid this?

I had the same issue as you until I found a pack of linen cloth towels from home depot that work great. It had like 6 towels in the pack and cost something like $2 or $3. Cheap enough that I can scrap em when they get too cruddy, but they're absolutely perfect for applying whatever you use to season the pan without getting little fibers in there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sure, do that. It's leftovers so do whatever you want.

I'm kind of impatient and the skillet can heat up on the stove while the pizza is getting nuked, but the oven takes way longer to heat up enough to melt cheese and crisp the crust. Microwave doesn't have to mean terrible leftover pizza.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't own a toaster oven, but I might buy one to test your theories. Alternatively, I will try taking a shower once in a while as my oven preheats.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does it shine off the mirror finish on your pan?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just cook on it.

Use a bunch of oil and fatty meats maybe?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
For most hard to scrub crud (only necessary with sticky stuff I let sit over night, or eggs if I didn't use enough fat/oil when cooking them) I usually boil some water in the pan while gently scrubbing with one of those chain mail things. I sometimes rinse & repeat a couple times with this so I can see what places I've missed more easily. Boiling water & steam rule for cleaning.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've gone through the gamut of cleaning methods with my pans. Started with salt, then steel wool, then chain mail, but none of them really seemed superior to the others. Nowadays I just get some water boiling in it to loosen stuff up and just use my normal dish scrubber thing (nylon brush with scraper) with some soap. When I'm done cleaning I still wipe it down with some oil and leave it on low heat for a while and occasionally do another proper round of seasoning. It's way less hassle and the pan is in as good of shape as it was with any of the other methods.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Had some friends & their kids over last weekend to hang out so we bought a bunch of stuff for grilled cheese sammies. Turns out we bought way too much so this week has been grilled cheese all the time. Good timing for comfort food I guess but more importantly it's really helped the seasoning on my cast iron griddle. Been enjoying wiping it down each night and seeing/smelling the oil seasoning it. It's been better each night at shedding the burned on cheese.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I know some people say not to, but for burned on stuff I usually just boil some water in the pan for a bit to loosen it up before I scrub at all. Then I do a proper seasoning in the oven. I will mention though that this is not the norm whatsoever. Typically I'm just making a grilled cheese for my kid and wipe the thing down after. I only maybe have to boil stuck on burned stuff out a few times a year. Over time searing things will be less and less difficult to clean out if you use the pan frequently in other applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Hadlock posted:

Pic of the residue? I just hit my pan with a sharp, straight edge burger flipper to knock any crusties off

Yeah I do this too if it's not too bad. Helps to do it immediately after you take the food out of the pan while it's still hot. I have a lovely little 6" round flipper with one flat side that works great.