Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

What do you guys use for handle covers for your cast iron skillets? I have a silicon handle I'm not crazy about (too big and floppy, I worry about the pan slipping), and I've managed to set fire to multiple cloth handles (those ones on Amazon, usually in red or black stripes, or a chili pepper design). Any other good options out there?

Calluses. Unless it's too hot; then a towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Massasoit posted:

I'm having a rough time seasoning my dutch oven. The factory coating was poo poo, and rusted when I cooked with it. I stripped it off with the clean cycle method, and re seasoned. I just cooked a chicken and most of the seasoning from the bottom came up. Any suggestions for seasoning a dutch oven specifically? It doesn't get as much use by far as my other pieces. Maybe I'll use it to cook my weekendly bacon for a while.

Could I just scrub it out with steel wool and go for another round of seasoning?

There's no reason that you couldn't cook some bacon in it just like a pan. You can also use the method where you coat it in oil and season it in the oven. You'll need to do a few oven seasoning rounds or cook some fatty things before you cook anything acidic in it like lemon juice, wine, or tomatoes.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ColdPie posted:

We're going camping this weekend with our new Dutch oven. I'm definitely planning to make biscuits and we'll probably cook bacon and eggs. Anyone have any favorite camping Dutch oven recipes?

Dutch oven cobbler. Butter the bottom of the dutch oven. Pour in a big can or two small cans of pie filling. Pour a bag of cake mix on top in a layer of even depth. Slice up a stick of butter and put slices on top distributed roughly evenly. Cook until bubbly.

Beef burgundy

Chili

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Those big griddles are good for cooking on campfires. They're much easier to prop on some rocks or logs over the coals than the short square ones. They're not really practical to use on a stove though.

Griddles in general are great for pancakes because you can flip them easier without the sides of the pan in the way.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

This is the idea, and why it's not all that great on a circular burner:

You fit another pancake! ... but you get more uneven heat. If you want, you can do the original 3 pancakes and have just the same heat distribution, and have the advantage of easy flipping Leviathan Song mentioned. Also, if you happen to have a fancy stove with a griddle setting (burners in between burners :brrring:) you're in business.

Problems like this are why I have a firepit in my backyard. No uneven heating on my rectangular griddle. Also real stir fry on my giant steel wok like you would get from those giant restaurant burners.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I store my cast iron on top of the fridge. Only metal shelf in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I know when I’m cleaning off rust, a steel or brass wire cupbrush on a drill works great. I’m pretty sure I remember it taking off cast iron seasoning pretty well too.
Seconding this. I've done it before with a rusted Dutch oven. Cleaned up great.