Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ColdPie posted:

I've got a glass stovetop. Came with the house when we moved in, and we're planning to ditch it sometime for a gas stove. Frankly, I'm fairly rough with it. I cook with a 12" cast iron skillet on it all the time. I shake skillets and pots around directly on the surface. I use it as extra counterspace. It's got a fair handful of scratches, but the worst looking parts are from spills and boilovers that burned onto and around the elements. I imagine if I took some cleaner to the surface to clean up the baked on stuff, it'd turn out in "used but good" condition, plenty good enough for a rental unit. And like I said, I'm hard on the surface.

Really, though, I can't wait to get rid of the thing.

gently caress fragile tools. What is the point?

Same here, on all counts. If I had my druthers, my kitchen would look rather like a commercial kitchen, complete with stainless counters/shelving, and a drain in the center of the (properly sloped to the drain) floor, so I can rinse the counters and cabinets with a hose after I disinfect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

feelz good man posted:

Seriously, when people are ready to accept that cast iron sucks for a lot of things, aluminum will be there waiting for them.

I just picked this up today for thirty bucks. Aluminum is superior for cooking with in almost every way. Heat distribution, cost, preheat time, no having to season, not being a huge pan sperg, weight, you name it.

In three hundred years, when I am long dead, and the oceans have risen and fallen again, and the plumes of radioactive ash have finally settled over our world, your aluminum will be nothing but junk, delaminating from extreme intragranular corrosion, if it hasn't already been melted down to build more nuclear bombers.

My cast iron, however, will be resting in a drawer inside one of the countless ruined homes, somewhere in the ravaged no-mans land that was once a metropolitan US city, quietly laughing to itself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PhazonLink posted:

Hey you know how past threads made jokes about how house fires would give a pan a perfect seasoning.

My pan looks better.

Myth confirmed.

:stonklol:

Everyone ok, at least?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Biscuit Joiner posted:

fyi: Sausage gravy is the recommended adhesive for joining two biscuits together.

eta: speaking of biscuits, I've been making egg and cheese biscuits by cooking the eggs in the oven with the biscuits.

I add the eggs about six minutes before the biscuits are done. Works great and only one pan to clean.

I need to come to your house for breakfast. For science.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StrippingChat: media blasting cabinets do a drat fine job on cast iron, if you have access to one. It also gets you out of having to deal with a loving lye bath.

Screw that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gorgar posted:

I don't cook sauces in general in bare cast iron, but I do prefer enameled cast iron for that over stainless or whatever. I don't think I even have a non-stick pan any more.

I do. It's cast iron too, though. :v:

The only other pans I own are regular steel pans. There are things you can do to meat in a regular steel pan that cast iron isn't quite as good at.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GreaseGunner posted:

I'm aware of how frying thanks to good ol' Alton Brown. That's why I was also confused when the thermometer would read hot but stuff would come out oily. I know I wasn't cooking it too long, so I'm thinking I just had the fish in too big of pieces. Doesn't explain the fries though.

Check your thermometer for accuracy, and also look to see if your oil temperature crashes when you put the food in. Insufficient quantity of oil, or an insufficient heat source can cause a temperature drop, allowing oil into the food before it starts to boil the moisture.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drifter posted:

Just use the second cast iron skillet to press down inside the larger one.

The first answer is always bacon. The second answer is always more cast iron.

Seriously though, heat both pans in the oven for awhile, and you can power-sear a steak on both sides simultaneously, in like ninety seconds.

:iia:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

toplitzin posted:

Sous vide then sear.

Do we have a pinkie-in-the-air emoticon?

And can I come to your house for dinner?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Missing Name posted:

I just reseasoned the family skillet.

My sister took it all off with a wire brush and super heavy duty detergent because it was "dirty"
:negative:

Tell her if she does it again, you're going to use the wire brush on her until she's clean too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob Morales posted:

Every drat time I read this thread I want to make a pan of cornbread.

Cast iron pan cornbread is the best thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob Morales posted:

Don't worry about taking the black off, just scrub the hell out of it with a brillo pad. Some people clean the pans so well when they restore them that they turn completely gray. Those pans are very serviceable and should be great after seasoning and then cooking a bunch of stuff.

I've media blasted cast iron down to fresh bare gray, and re-seasoned them to glistening black. It's all about bacon patience. As long as it isn't cracked, or corroded so badly the cooking surface is jagged, it's save-able.

The only trick is that after you scrub the poo poo out of them, immediately hit them with some food-safe oil, unless you're seasoning right away. Cast iron with rust pretty quickly, and you'll have to scrub again, which is a drag.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nettle Soup posted:

Whats the problem with eggs anyway? They stick? People expect to not have to use oil for them?

People are terrified of using fat when they cook.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you then pour out the excess bacon fat, and wipe it gently (aim for a thin, even coating of fat, rather than to clean it out,) with a paper towel, you can also make your toast in the pan.

NOT THAT I DO THAT.

:btroll:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For €200, the loving thing had better cook for me.

Go on eBay, find a Wagner or a Griswold with the original lid. Even with the hilariously expensive shipping, it'll still be less than half your budget. You want a Dutch oven, and not a camp stove. A camp stove will have cast-in feet, which won't work on a range.

As to size versus your electric range, something being bigger than the heating element is better than smaller. Cast iron in particular will heat mostly evenly better than most other materials on a smaller element. It might be slightly hotter in the center over extremely high heat, but that's not generally the kind of cooking one does in a Dutch oven, anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Missing Name posted:

Seasoning is unsanitary...

Any microbe that survives a 300°F+ iron hellscape deserves its chance to infect my innards.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

Is there anything fundamentally dangerous about cooking on a mild steel griddle?

It's hot, and you can burn yourself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A few days ago, before work, popped my skillet on the stove on high after wiping it down and rinsing it, just to dry it all the way off...

...And left for work without turning it off.

Came home to a house full of dead smoke detectors, a very nervous dog, and a red-hot skillet.

Although I don't recommend it, as it turns out, long-term high heat is an excellent way to strip seasoning from a skillet... :v:

Really glad I didn't burn my loving house down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cook the pancakes in the bacon pan. Trust me on this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love oven-baked bacon, but I also love pancakes made in the bacon grease, and I also hate doing dishes.

:effort:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts/experience regarding glass top stoves with cast iron? I'm moving into a house with one and my first instinct is that I cannot use them on it, both because of potential scratching on the pans and potential breaking of the stove-top. We plan to get a gas range at some point down the line, but buying a house ain't cheap, so for now that's not an option.

It's not an issue. At all.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fry some bacon in that sumbitch.

It is the only way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dis astranagant posted:

In an electric oven it runs the heating element at a dead short for several hours, reaching a couple thousand degrees inside and turning most any food residue into ash.

If the inside of the oven actually reached "a couple thousand degrees," the oven itself would be a pool of liquid metal on the kitchen floor.

I think my (electric) oven gets to eight or nine-hundred degrees Fahrenheit during a clean cycle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wouldn't do a clean cycle with a bird in the house...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: Stripping seasoning; The best way might be chemicals, or high heat. But the most FUN way is a blasting cabinet and walnut shells.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Media blasting > all other rust removal methods.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

I want to reseason this, but I'm not sure how far I have to go to strip it. Will steel wool suffice, or do I need to self-clean or find the right attachment for my dremel somewhere in the basement? It's slightly rough, and different parts are slipperier than others, but nothing too bad.

I... wouldn't even reseason that. Hit the grody bits with some rock salt and a towel, and wash it with soap and water, then put some oil on it and call it good.

Why do you want to strip it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

spankmeister posted:

Molds like that don't require seasoning, unless you want to make burgers shaped like gingerbread house parts

:iia:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Knifegrab posted:

I've seen a few different ways to prepare ghee but never done it, how do you make it?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/clarified-butter-recipe.html

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A properly seasoned pan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTcnjqUlmg

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

McSpankWich posted:

Sometimes I wish my 10" was a 12," but then I pick up a 12" in the store and I'm like oh right.

Cast Iron Megathread: Sometimes I wish my 10" was a 12"

McSpankWich posted:

I do need a Dutch oven though, for some reason I don't have one. Enameled is the way to go, right? There's not really any reason for the unfinished at this point is there?

It's a bit twitchier to use an enameled Dutch oven on a campfire, and you can get a better sear on meat with a bare iron version.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Been looking for this, a pan to make "plättar" for :10bux:

Went over with angle grinder and steel brushes for several hours, just started the re-seasoning process.

Handle says Munktells, which is short for Munktells Mekaniska Verkstad, it was a swedish company founded in 1832 and operated until 1932 when it merged with Bolinders Mekaniska Verkstad.

I think I am set WRT cast iron now. Next step is replacing my teflon pans and other coatings with carbon steel equivalents.

Daaaaaaaaaamn son.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

One other thing to check vintage pans for is flatness: cast iron can warp if you overheat it.

...Ask me how I know. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best way to take rust off cast iron? I got two small lodge pans for a pittance at the thrift store and they need a little love.

In descending order of effectiveness:

Media blasting
Wire wheel
Wire brush
Brillo pad

If the corrosion isn’t too bad, even a regular scouring pad can work, and it generally won’t touch the seasoning unless you really get nuts with it.

I’m a big fan of media blasting, since you can get all of the old seasoning off and start from totally bare iron.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

People waaaaaaaaay overblow the whole cast iron/electric range thing.

The only range I’ve ever damaged with cast iron was a gas range I dropped the pan onto the edge of and chipped the finish. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kosher salt and a paper towel. Once the crud is off, a bit of soap and a nylon dish brush.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chainmail is a bit aggressive for cast iron seasoning; I use kosher salt and a paper towel. That said, I don't think thats whats causing your issues. Can you snap a pic or two of what you're talking about? The only flaking I've ever seen on cast iron was from ANCIENT seasoning that was actually too thick, and starting to delaminate from itself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

The correct way to season a pan is

1) buy new
2) scrub it good, but don't work up a sweat doing it
3) wait until sunday morning
4) make the whole family breakfast tacos using jimmy dean hot sausage
5) use pan for 100 years
6) deed pan to favorite grandchild

In between each of the above steps: Always be cooking bacon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brawnfire posted:

I just recently got my first enameled dutch oven and it's greatly improved my chili/tomato sauce/braising game

I hadn't realized how much even my stainless steel seemed to be affecting flavor and the ceramic also seems to distribute heat in a nice even way throughout my aromatics, making for better browning

It's been a real roller coaster I can tell you

Enameled cast iron is the poo poo for pot roasts, ossobuco, stuff like that. I should try red sauce in it, I always make mine in my hugest saucepan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd like to take a minute to say that induction and cast iron is the best parts of the 19th and 21st century.