Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've cooked tomato sauces in cast iron in the past but stopped. It's hard on the seasoning and harder to clean if you don't get to it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a Wearever aluminum skillet. What I like most is it's easy to clean. Stupidly the handle is steel and heavier than the skillet pan so it wants to lean back. Pretty good skillet otherwise.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lhet posted:

Had my first cast iron accident. I cooked a bunch of onions with a bit of olive oil, then rinsed the pan off and set it back on the stove on low and ate. A little while later I smelled smoke, and it seems that some of the oil was beginning to burn. There was a thick black crust around the center, so I went and just scrubbed away all the accumulated everything with soap. Now there's still a deep black spot in the center that I couldn't easily scrub away. I gave the whole thing a coat of olive oil so it shouldn't rust for now, but should I try harder to scrub away the center and give it a proper even seasoning or just say fuckit and cook?

No matter how long I look at this I can't not see a hole. Does that pan have any seasoning at all? ( I'm on my phone so maybe it's that)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been using the hell out of the Lodge Dutch oven I got for Christmas. Tonight we are having pulled pork in a combination Jamie Oliver meets redneck southern style. Blistered the fat and skin then covered and cooked for six hours with spices and can of Pepsi. Removed the pork and cooked sweet potatoes in the broth with blackberries. Strained the juices and added the pulled pork back in to warm up.

Apple cider vinegar and hot sauce in a Chivas Regal bottle.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 25, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

funkatron3000 posted:

Cross posting from the Post Your Recent Purchases thread

As a kid my dad's friends threw weekend long parties at their cabin. Starting Friday night they would hang a cauldron like that over an open fire, add water, beans, vegetables + whatever random meat (deer, beef, squirrel, pork, rabbit) everyone brought. And it would cook slowly over Friday night and feed everyone for 2 day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My seasoning turned into a powdery, crusty, grey coating that sticks to everything. I'm going to have to wire brush this thing and re-season. I didn't do anything weird except make tomato sauces in it, could that do it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pig grill is the bomb!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edit; too harsh, nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 9, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Massasoit posted:

For making roasts/sauces/soups in a dutch oven, enameled or bear iron?

Thoughts?

Enamel is easier to clean if you don't burn things, especially sauces and soups. Bear iron is no good in the winter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 8, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I know no one cares but I have to tell someone, I scored a 12" Lodge skillet for about $14 today from a going out of business sale. Debating on whether I want to sand the inside bottom smooth.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, Lodge pans are pretty rough from the factory.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You'll own a cast iron pan for the rest of your life, why not buy from a company that has been around for awhile. Lodge isn't much more and is a known quality.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

That is a Lodge pan. I looked 2 days ago and the base 12" was $28 on Amazon.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Personally I think you should give it a scraped surface, take it to a Richard King scraping class :v:

I scraped the sides and bottom of my Lodge Dutch oven which was rough as a cob (also stank like burned oil). It's still not perfectly smooth but is better. The skillet is not as rough (and doesn't smell like burned oil) as the dutch oven and I made burgers last night and the sear was perfect so I'll probably leave it alone.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And does anyone who uses Amazon a lot know why it's 30% cheaper without the handle https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB

Probably a slow seller because you can't use it one handed. Although using a 12" one handed is pretty awkward with the short handle anyway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was at Target today and they had 12" Lodge skillets for $19.99. Also online.

https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-iron-12-inch-skillet/-/A-10291923

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone have or use a Lodge charcoal grill? Worth it?