Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So I was walking into Wal-Mart this evening and they had this sitting on a clearance table for $30.

I'd read a few pages of this thread and had been interested in picking up a cast iron pan, so this seemed like a pretty good deal. Does the fact that it's some random brand matter much when it's cast iron? I'm pretty terrible with food, but I'm making an effort to improve my knowledge and skill, but it's possible I'd just be better off returning this and getting a 12 in skillet or something if the other pieces aren't useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

my turn in the barrel posted:

Offbrand can be hit or miss. Biggest issue is casting flaws and rough/poor finish. But it's possible those were made by a decent company like lodge for walmart so no harm in opening the box and inspecting them. If they have bad pits, cracks or voids anywhere you will want to return them but that's a decent price for the set. If there are junk and you return them poke around the kitchen and clearance areas as walmarts by me are clearing out Lodge griddles and pans as I posted a few posts back.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm curious how much that set weighs. Get some pictures for us when you open it!

The set weighs about 29lbs altogether. I'm kind of astonished that I cannot turn up a single reference to it online. Not an old eBay listing. Not an random cached image from the distant past. The dutch oven seems almost identical to the photos of this model.

Casting seems okay by my ignorant standards. I could only find one small imperfection anywhere on the set and it was on the outside in a non-crucial place. Unless someone see's something that raises a red flag I guess I'll hang onto them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Huh, that's a hell of a deal you got there. Cook bacon in them! You can always strip the factory finish down and sand them smoother if you have issues.

I'm tempted to sulk into a walmart and see if mine has any.

Protip for finding clearance stuff at Walmart: Look up the item on the website and copy the number of the end of the URL. Paste it into http://brickseek.com. It'll give you a list of local stores that have it and a stock estimate and current price. These numbers, especially the stock estimate, a not always correct, so don't drive an hour or anything, but it can be a useful tool if you know something is getting cleared out.

my turn in the barrel posted:

I'm betting that was a christmas special or something that sat in the back of the store for a few years as I have never seen that set and they don't have it on the website. But most stores have a bunch of lodge for 50% off right now as walmart seems to be cutting back on how much lodge they are carrying so definitely check.

Yea, this thing had just been put out on a table out front with some other stuff. Original price (according to my receipt) was only $39, so I suspect maybe it was a Christmas/Black Friday item and one just got lost? The packaging is marked 2016, so it's not ancient. I've never had a mass produced item like this where I can't find a trace of it anywhere on the internet.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Costco currently has their own brand 10" and 12" skillet pack with silicone handles on sale for $24. I took a quick look at them and while the finish looked fairly typical for a non-Lodge skillet. I can't really think of a reason I need a 12" skillet though and I already have a 10".

https://www.costco.com/Tramontina-2-piece-Cast-Iron-Skillets.product.100392427.html

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Target has $25 off kitchen appliances and cookware right now, including the Lodge cast iron. A few are out of stock online, but I think the sale is in store as well.

I had an additional 20% off coupon that stacked, so I drat near finished up my cast iron collection last night. Sadly the 10" was out of stock by the time I came around.