Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have two questions,

- I have a lodge logic enameled dutch oven. How to clean it? I poked around the web a bit, and it seems that a little abrasive such as barkeeper's friend or bon ami with the rough side of a sponge + plenty of elbow grease should do the trick. I used that and vinegar, and was able to get a little of the dark stains out of the enamel cooking surface. Any other tricks or tips? I'm going to go back over it a few more times and see if I can't get it any better. I've had it for so long, it's long overdue for a scrubbing.

- I asked previously about stripping cast iron. Oven on cleaning cycle out of the question because it'll stink up the house and our oven doesn't have a clean cycle. A few recommended putting them in the grill for a while. I was going to consider the lye method to strip them before reseasoning, but I can't find regular lye at the store. I figured I'd get some off of amazon, some gloves and goggles, and put it all in a bag and let it work its magic. Anyone done this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What I meant to mention is that all the oven cleaner I've seen in the stores has the scent mixed in, which I of course don't want in my pans. I assume that the pans would take on the "lemon" or "fresh" scent, so that would be undesirable. I also couldn't find pure lye anywhere, but I may poke around again before I head online to get it.

I have about 6 or 7 pans that have seen heavy use through the years.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I assume also I should buy heavy rubber gloves for this, and that regular kitchen gloves wont do.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I like the smaller ones, as they're easier to wield, but furthermore fit nicely into a countertop convection oven (like a Breville) for 1 and 2 person meals. I can sear a steak or chop on the stove and finish it in the oven without turning the big oven on.