Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Same, and I've always been happy (thanks, Alton Brown book I checked out at the library). I'll check out the new method, though, because why not, but I bet it's about the same with my sloppy cooking ability.

The thicker the steak, the better the reverse sear method is. With this method you wont end up with a rainbow of doneness through the steak.

So if you have a relatively normal cut of meat, either way is fine, but once you start getting into the 2" thick cuts, reverse is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I feel like someone has to say this every 5 or so pages:

It's a cast iron pan. Just use it. It'll be fine. Occasionally make some bacon in it, or dont; it'll be fine.

Things you'll do that will cause it "not to be fine":
Leave it outside.
Leave it sitting in the sink for weeks.

Outside of that, not much is going to harm the pan that a little bacon wont cure (pun intended). Even tomato sauce is fine in moderation, just don't leave it in there for days.

There's a reason why we all have our great grandmothers pans and it's not because they were spergy and went on the internet asking how to protect their precious cast iron. It's because they're indestructible

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone have first hand experience returning something to Le Creuset for a warranty claim?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

red19fire posted:

This is probably a dumb question but are enameled cast iron pans better or worse than regular cast iron? It says the cooking surface is 'black matte enamel', is that like a nonstick coating? or more similar to raw cast iron?

There isn't much difference between a normal cast iron pan and the "enameled" one you linked above. The cooking surface is the same but the exterior is prettier.

When most people say "enameled" cast iron, they're typically referring to a pan/dutch oven that is completely coated in enamel. See most every Le Creuset piece of cast iron. As others have said, they're very nice because you can cook anything in them without worrying about your precious seasoning. They do have limitations; I typically don't use them for high heat (450F+) searing like a steak, for example. However, they still work great at searing chicken skin, pot roasts, etc.

I personally have two regular cast iron pans (8" and 12" flat bottomed, dont bother with the "grill" style) and a lot of different Le Creuset pieces (I'm a brand whore).

I'd recommend the two size pans I have above, if you're only getting one, go bigger first. Second, I'd recommend a 5.5qt+ round enameled dutch oven with a lid. These are the two pieces in my house that get by far the most use. I have larger and I have smaller dutch ovens but for cooking for 2 with left overs in mind, the 5.5qt is great.

After that, I love my braisers, which substitute as great cast iron pans (without a handle).

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Door jam or door stop. Something to do with preventing a door from doing its job.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

X13Fen posted:

Walked past the Le Creuseut store today. Walked in and managed to convince my fiancée we should get a couple

Now to decide between the classic round or an oval pot, and I'm curious to hear what y'all think between the two

I have a lot of Le Creuset pieces and I would highly recommend a round over an oval for the reason The Midniter explain. As for sizes, my most used is the 5.5qt round dutch oven when cooking enough food for 4 servings (2 people + left overs). After that I probably use my 2.5qt round dutch oven. If you like making soup and a lot of it, i'd go up a size and get the 7.25qt but that's a lot of soup.

I also like their braisers and their cast iron roasting pans.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 27, 2018

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I like my burgers with egg and breadcrumbs and herbs.

You mean you like to eat your meatloaf with a bun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

I feel like someone has to say this every 5 or so pages:

It's a cast iron pan. Just use it. It'll be fine. Occasionally make some bacon in it, or dont; it'll be fine.

Things you'll do that will cause it "not to be fine":
Leave it outside.
Leave it sitting in the sink for weeks.

Outside of that, not much is going to harm the pan that a little bacon wont cure (pun intended). Even tomato sauce is fine in moderation, just don't leave it in there for days.

There's a reason why we all have our great grandmothers pans and it's not because they were spergy and went on the internet asking how to protect their precious cast iron. It's because they're indestructible

I feel that this needs to be posted again.