Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can you just not replace the ceramic top? Glass in oven doors is replaceable, so it's not that far of a stretch for them to be replaceable, especially if it's more of a wear part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MrYenko posted:

Same here, on all counts. If I had my druthers, my kitchen would look rather like a commercial kitchen, complete with stainless counters/shelving, and a drain in the center of the (properly sloped to the drain) floor, so I can rinse the counters and cabinets with a hose after I disinfect them.

I'd want it just 'cause I hate to mop. Dog tracked a bunch of mud in? Just hose it down. Easy peasy.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use cheap mesh splatter guards I bought at Dollar Tree years ago. Works well for me, but I still wipe down the stove afterward.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Using my skillets on the grill for the first time tonight to cook some vegetables. Not sure why I haven't thought to do this before.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Midniter posted:

Also make this bread with all sorts of crazy toppings (not just olives and pistachios). It's DEAD simple and super delicious. Also makes an EXCELLENT cast iron pizza/calzone dough!

W@W L@@K!!

That bread looks amazing.

Cooked pizza in a skillet tonight. Turned out pretty good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I need a better savory cornbread recipe. Mine is the standard one from the Martha White bag with a few modifications. Not bad, but not the great crumbly texture I want in a cornbread.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This is the one I've been using, with egg but no flour or sugar. It ends up crumbly with the measurements they provide, though I prefer roughly 1/4 cup more buttermilk or the white of another egg (depending on how much buttermilk you want to taste) to help it hold together a bit more. I also frequently replace the butter with baconfat and add bacon.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/southern_cornbread/

That looks more like what I'm wanting there. Good enough to crumble into beans.

Am I terrible person for eating cornbread and milk growing up? It was something my grandfather and I did together and I remember it being pretty good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Too true. Too true. Live your life and enjoy your cornbread. :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Lestion posted:

To those of you who sear steaks on your cast iron: Do you prefer to bake then sear, or sear then bake?

Bake then sear.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Kroger, a grocery store, had 10 inch Lodge skillets for 11 bucks, and 13(?) inchers for 15. I am having a hard time not going back and getting one of each. I already have two 10 inch skillets, but that is a really good price....

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Is it bad that I want to go get one of those skillets, chop the handle off, and use it full time on my grill?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Use it on the grill. Or if you're gonna toss it, I'll take it off your hands.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MrYenko posted:

Cast iron pan cornbread is the best thing.

It really is. My wife bought me a mini Crock Pot for my classroom this year. I can't wait to cookreheat beans and have corn bread for lunches this Fall.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use Castrol Magnatec.

No really just cook in it, wipe it out, put on a thin coat of oil and leave it. Cast iron is not that complicated, nor should it be.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Disco Salmon posted:

Looking into getting a cast iron dutch oven, possibly enameled.

So in your opinions, what is the size that would be most useful over all? I was thinking a 6 qt one like this one http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4YCVQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Alternatively any other ideas?

There is really just the two of us here most of the time, but we do have occasional guests over...so I am thinking the larger one might be nice.

Looks like you probably already ordered it. Just throwing in my 2 cents to stave off buyer's remorse. I picked up one of these last year on the cheap because I had a gift card. I was sad to find out that they're not made in the USA, but honestly that's the only downside. It's a good size for my wife and I. Most recipes I've tried are designed for a pot of this size and it provides us with leftovers. Since it is glass enamel, you do have to take care when washing it, and it cannot go on high heat. I made a mistake about which stove eye I turned on, and I think I did put a small hairline crack in mine. It's something to watch out for - the enamel hasn't come off the inside yet so I think it's fine. I did something, banged it too hard on something and chipped the outside bottom :(

I leave it out on the stove all the time, the blue is a really pretty color and goes well with our kitchen. Keep the rubber spacers for the lid - they help keep it open to air it out after washing and keep the lid from damaging the pot during storage. If the enamel does start coming off, treat it with oil like any other cast iron - or so says America's Test Kitchen. Frankly, it's a great pot and is great for soups, stews, and anything else and will last forever.

I picked up a 6" Lodge skillet today. I'm pretty excited to get it seasoned up and cook single eggs for my breakfasts. My wife also pointed out that it's a good size for skillet cookies, too. :btroll:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That sounds good. I wonder how it might freeze. I'd like to make a big batch and eat on it for lunches during the week.

Not cast iron, but handy: crock pot food warmer. Holds 2 cups and is great to heat up things like soups, beans, etc. Something like this would be good too, I think.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
A while back I bought a smaller cast iron pan - I think it's 6". It's a Lodge, so it's texture on the inside is extremely rough*, or was. I took to it with some wire wheels and sandpaper and got it fairly smooth. It doesn't look it, but it feels smooth, and it's as smooth as I care to get it by hand. I might go back over it when I get more time and some polishing wheels, because I really want it smooth like older cast irons.

Anyway, I'm re-seasoning it now, and there's this one weird bright patch that won't go away, even though I've covered it with oil a few times. I've got it in the oven now, so maybe it'll go away, but it's not looking like it. Any ideas what might be making it do that?

*Oddly rougher than my 7 or 8 year old Lodges that I've only recently started using heavily. They're basically smooth.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Mine looks the same way, but even after a couple of oven bakes and cooking bacon in it, I still have this one spot where it remains silver.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I got my grandmother's 10qt enamel dutch oven. No idea what to do with it that I can't do with my 4qt.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

FetusSlapper posted:

The same things but for bigger parties.

Sadly, I was mistaken. It's a 4qt Kirby and Allen that manages to be bigger than my 4qt Lodge. Ah well, it's bright red and was Granny's so that's all that matters :v:

I plan to use it to cook a batch of collard greens today.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I cook bacon in the oven....

...in my cast iron skillet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

coyo7e posted:

Do you like to preheat the skillet? I like to preheat the skillet when I oven bake bacon

Sometimes. Kind of depends on what I'm doing and whether or not I remember.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Fishing trip coming up... Seemed like the perfect time to order a 5qt dutch oven. :toot:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Two nice frying sessions and my new dutch oven looks amazing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Last time I did something like that it filled my kitchen with plumes of smoke.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just realized I have 3. A blue enamel one that I use semi often, a red one I inherited from my grandmother, and a non enamel one I bought back in June that is currently living in my truck.

So what I mean to say is get whichever you want, because you'll end up with a bunch no matter what :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Simmering all day won't hurt my enameled cast iron, will it? I never really thought about it and don't see why it would, but then I'd hate to mess up something good because I overlooked something simple.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

ColdPie posted:

All this talk of seasoning made me hungry. BLTs for breakfast.

Let's eat.

Welp. Looks like this is what I'm having for lunch when I get back from buying groceries.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Even in a non-stick pan, you use a little bit of some sort of fat, whether it's butter or oil.

Also, gently caress cooking steaks with that bullshit "pan as hot as you can get it" method. Plumes of smoke looked like the drat Deepwater Horizon spill coming out of the pan. Filled my kitchen with way too much smoke for what it was.

Cook steak how you want, but filling your kitchen with a ton of smoke is too much trouble. What works the best, for me anyway, is to heat the steak in the pan in a low oven until it hits about 110 or 120 internal temperature. Take it out, remove steak from pan, heat the pan up nice and hot with some butter or oil (maybe even be fancy with some compound butter), then sear the steak in the pan until it hits about 130. Maybe even baste it some with the fats. Take the steak out and let it rest, then eat it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So what do you do, sit the skillet on the element?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Why use a cookie sheet in the oven? I'd you go the oven route, just use the skillet in the oven.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Subjunctive posted:

with a cookie sheet you can put the bacon on a cooling rack, with thick slices of bread underneath

I....

.... I like the way you think.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Once I switched to using kosher salt and a bamboo utensil to scrape out my pan, I've not needed anything stronger. I used to use table salt and a paper towel, which was a mess.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Heating it up and using the right amount of fat has way more of an effect.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That looks like it turned out good! I'd eat it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That is stupid and pointless. Just send it to me to get rid of it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just bought the coolest little pot with a lid. It holds maybe a quart, and I got it for $12. Got it home and hit it with a wire brush and it looks like it is cracked. Either I did it or it was already cracked; there is a hairline crack down the side that had rust in it, so I'm betting it was already there and I didn't notice it (I didn't look closely at it when I bought it)

I'm planning to use it on my grill for small servings of beans and the like. Should I still use it or is it going to split the first time I use it? It's in the oven seasoning now.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well, it didn't seem to get any bigger. Here's an album with some photos of it and the crack. I think for just a couple servings of beans, smoking bbq sauces, and cooking small cobblers etc for two people on the grill it'll be fine.

https://imgur.com/a/bGQo3

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
You still need oil for eggs in nonstick.

...maybe I have lovely nonstick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Smash burgers on the grill?

I am not sure either honestly. I mean, I have one and some skillets, and I often go for the skillets even if I'm going on the grill.