Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Just wanting to drop in here and say I love cast iron. We recently acquired my mother in laws ancient rear end cast iron pan and it's incredible. It's at least 20% bigger than the one I've had for eons and it makes a monster difference. I can now sear huge pieces of meat on it with no problemo.

Drifter posted:

When you guys are cookin' your steaks and frying up chicken and whatnot, how do you minimize oil splatter? Or do you just aim the pan away from you and resign yourselves to twenty minutes of wiping down your kitchen stove and countertops, or do you use those mesh splatterguards or whatever?

Like a few others have said a cheap splatter guard can save you all kinds of cleaning time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Paper With Lines posted:

I, for one, enjoy getting splattered with extremely hot grease when trying to cook stuff.

I will unsarcastically say there's something really nostalgic and old school about getting popped by bacon grease, especially when it's a really big rear end pop.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Single serving steaks/burgers/meat/etc too.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry, but why would anybody ever want to prepare just 4 ounces of steak? Ridiculous. 10 ounces and up or else you're basically eating a bowl of green beans at that point.

I could make the same argument for wanting a bigger pot pie or more cobbler too but it's all relative. MMM, peach cobbler sounds incredible right about now.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Hell yes, peach cobbler is some of the best poo poo to ever grace this wonderful Earth.

Bob Morales posted:

Just noticed my old rear end pan from my grams is a Wagner.

I'm stupid when it comes to cast iron brands. The one I inherited from my grandparents is also a Wagner. I take it that's awesome?

Over the weekend I used the ol' cast iron to rock a pork loin. A wonderful smelling house later it was excellent. I never take pictures of food but this smelled so good I had to (wanted to share it with my Dad who appreciates food like nobody else)

VVVVVVVV That is incredible. I would love to stand there with a big rear end stick (thing witch's brew style) stirring whatever is cooking. I would imagine that thing must weigh a 1,000,000 pounds and you probably got Goku himself to help you move it.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 9, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

CrazySalamander posted:

I used one of those tiny cast iron pans they sell with a single serving cookie mix to cook burger patties.

We have one of these pans and I have always wanted to try this.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

KingShiro posted:

I've tried frying potatoes in bacon grease once and it wasn't very good. Wary of it ever since.

Frying eggs in bacon grease is pretty well second to none in my opinion.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ColdPie posted:

Heating up a full-size oven just to warm up a drat piece of leftover pizza is a crazy waste of energy.

I was going to strongly recommend a pizzazz as it reheats stuff quite badassly.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Massasoit posted:

Cooked some bacon in my cast iron skillet and fried eggs in the fat on my cast iron gridde.

Eggs in beacon fat is the best.

This is the only way I knew eggs could be cooked (besides scrambled or boiled) for probably the first 15 years of my life, and I have 0 regrets. Eggs fried in bacon fat does indeed own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Get enough bacon fat in a pan to pool up when tilted, then heat it up. Once it's quite hot but not smoking, crack an egg into the pooled fat. Cook the egg, continually basting, until it's just done. It's sort of like poaching an egg, but you get bacon flavor and craggy bits. Really delicious.

This is exactly how mine were growing up. It would always blow me away when people talked about how tough it was to fry eggs without busting the yolk, only to realize the grease splashing/basting way isn't the normal way to do it, poo poo is so easy. I can do fatless fried eggs fine but man there's nothing like eggs with a bunch of bacon chunks and crackly poo poo all over it.

Oh there's some left on the plate, no worries let me dominate it with this piece of toast.