Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I found two cast iron pans in my grandmothers house which she has no interest in and so I stole them. I was beginning to try and rehab them to get the rust off, but I noticed that the black whatever coating is also coming off quite a bit. I have heard that its possible for there to be irreversible damage to cast iron pans if they sit for too long, so I took some pictures, hopefully you can let me know if I should chuck them, or begin the seasoning process.

Here is both of them:

Closeup of the small one:

Closeup of the big one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Ok awesome! One more question, should I try and scrape all the black stuff off? Or is it ok for them to be a little patina?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

So today has been a celebration of this fancy pan all day. This morning I made bacon, and then used the grease to cook some potatoes and onions, grand. Tonight my wife and I cooked two porterhouses, one in the pan and one on the grill to compare/contrast. The grill was your standard "cook over super hot coals for 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other." I found a fancy recipe online for the pan, so I preheated the the oven to 500 with the pan inside, then put it on the burner on high for 5 minutes. When it was absurdly hot I put the steak on it for 30 seconds on each side, then put the whole thing in the oven for 2 minutes, and then flipped it and left it in for another 2 minutes. After we tested them both we agreed that the cast iron pan won, but just barely. The filet side on the pan porterhouse was insanely good. Yay cast iron! Thanks for the seasoning tips, its back to a beautiful black. I for sure wouldn't cook eggs on it yet, though, needs to be used a bunch more times before it's nonstick.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

That hibachi owns so hard

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

It begins

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

So where's the best place to get food grade linseed oil for seasoning your pan? Amazon doesn't have much in the way of selection (This is the only one I found that isn't wood stain). Is there anywhere online I can get a container larger than 250ml? Otherwise I'm just going to stick with Canola to wipe my pan down after cooking.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 30, 2016

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Alright thanks, I'll look for it next time I feel like spending too much on groceries and go to Whole Foods

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

It claims it's lighter, so if it's some kind of cast iron alloy that functions the same but is half the weight I'd be willing to pay for that. I'm probably just misinterpreting their marketing though.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

You can get the rust off a cast iron using the ovens cleaning cycle? I'll have to try that on my moms.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Did it have a glass top?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Gorgar posted:

i use medium heat and just set the microwave timer so i don't forget...burn less house this way

When I first read this I thought you meant you put it on 50% power in the microwave and I was like :psyduck:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cast iron is that awesome old beater truck you can hoon around in and fix pretty good with string and duct tape. Just remember to top the oil off and change it's plugs, and it will kick poo poo around forever.

This pretty much sums it up. I use metal, plastic, and rubber utensils on mine. You can even use a little soap if you feel like it, just don't scrape the poo poo out of it with soap or you'll lose your seasoning. I don't even use boiling water as much as put it under the sink right after its done cooking, the water boils itself and unsticks anything that happens to be there. Feel free to toss it into your campfire entirely, it will be fine.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Bacon will release more than enough fat, in fact you should strain it and keep it in a jar to use on other things later because bacon far is the best grease possible.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

No, self clean can can get into the thousands of degrees and it's impossible to set your oven that high manually. You can always strip the seasoning by soaking on 50:50 vinegar:water for a few hours and then giving it a little elbow grease with a wire brush. You can also use a grinding wheel.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I bet

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Made a shepherd's pie in my cast iron last night, it's quickly becoming one of my top 5 things to make in it. Sorry about the poor quality photo.. but bonus baby footage!

\/\/\/ - Sadly my wife is lactose intolerant, otherwise yes there would be a ton of cheese. Fork thingy is a good idea though, when I make it smooth like that it makes this weird skin, I'm not sure how I didn't think of using a fork earlier

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 14, 2016

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

If I'm doing a steak, I preheat the oven to 500 with the cast iron inside, then when I pull it out, I put it on the flame on high for another 5 minutes. Usually the pan is like 6-700 degrees when that steak hits it to sear. The fire alarm doesn't like it. Makes a drat good steak though.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Whoever posted about using kosher salt as an abrasive while cleaning was spot on. Just using a sponge and some salt I haven't had really anything stick.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I started cooking bacon by folding it over 3/4 of the way across, that way only the ends are making contact with the pan, then flip it and do the opposite side. Afterwards, when you lay it out normally, the ends that usually cook slower because they're hanging out or whatever end up finishing at the same time as the middle since you pre started them. It's worked pretty well. Next time I do it I can post a picture, my description was probably not the best.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Sometimes I wish my 10" was a 12," but then I pick up a 12" in the store and I'm like oh right.

I do need a Dutch oven though, for some reason I don't have one. Enameled is the way to go, right? There's not really any reason for the unfinished at this point is there?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

To reinforce this point, last night I made red wine braised short ribs, and one of the steps is to combine tomato paste with pulverized veggies and red wine and let it reduce, I did this in my cast iron (because I had seared the short ribs in there first). I expected my seasoning to be sloughing off in huge sheets when I was done, but I didn't lose any. I haven't really done any special treatment or seasoning since the initial, and have just been cooking on it for about a year or so. Way stronger than I thought it would be.

\/\/\/ - While my original seasoning was not flax, all of the post-cook oiljobs have been flax, so maybe that's it

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2017

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Speaking of building up under the pan. The cooking surface is beautifully seasoned, but the underside of my pan looks like old paint chipping off the wall. I assume it's the seasoning flaking off, but it doesn't seem to ever ACTUALLY come off. If I scrape it all off with a putty knife or something, is there any way to prevent it from happening again? Should I even bother seasoning the underside in the first place?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

But the one in the first picture looks wonderful :/

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Sledgehammer

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I also used flax the initial seasoning of my pan and the finish is killer. My dad was visiting one day and just walking through the kitchen was like "holy poo poo is that your pan? How did you get it like that?" I haven't really done anything special outside of that initial process.

Edit: in other depressing news, the house we moved into has electric appliances and a glass cook top. Is it true i can't use my pan on it anymore?
:negative:

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 22, 2018

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I have no idea what that picture is showing me.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I think he's freaking out about that tiny speck up and to the left of the top corner of the ruler.

I saw that little chip and thought "No, it couldn't be that, there has to be something I'm missing."

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I just put a bunch of screws in the side of the cabinet above my stove and hung them there.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Does that wooden handle get hot on the stovetop?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

The smoke point of extra virgin olive oil is 410 degrees, so if you're seasoning at 400 it very likely will not polymerize and will instead become gross and flaky. Regular olive oil is higher I think, like 470 or so, but it's definitely not recommended for seasoning cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

You can just use another wooden dowel or something, you'd need a lathe to make it nice though. Alternately you could drill a hole on the underside of the metal part of the handle and put a screw into the wood to hold it in place