Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Hello, I am taking a break from being ADTRW's resident mahjong sage to tell you all about anime fighting games instead. There are a lot of posters in this forum who also post in the fighting game threads in games (including our new mod) and there are enough of these out that you guys might care.

If you don't know what a fighting game is then I don't know go read this Daigo Umehara manga and you'll probably get the idea. Fight dudes, punch Samba de Amigo machines. Anime fighting games as a sub-genre are usually distinguished by characters being able to jump or dash in the air and every character looking like they'd be comfortable throwing Duel Disks and sending enemies to the Shadow Realm. If you like anime you might want to play some of them! So here's a bunch of anime games with appropriate background music, in rough order of notoriety/popularity:

Guilty Gear - praise be

Produced by Arc System Works, this is the anime game that the fighting game community at large actually respects. Heavily based on rock music. Play as angry gunsword-wielding Sol Badguy, dandy vampire man Slayer, or newcomer Elphelt, wielding guns and roses and literally being a waifu. Notable for being very difficult in that mechanics are fairly unforgiving, while having a lot of very character- and matchup-specific quirks that require a lot of time in training mode to fully flesh out and understand. Follows the long fighting game tradition of incomprehensible naming schemes, with the venerable Guilty Gear XX Λ Core Plus R having recently been replaced by the latest revision, Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-, featuring shiny new graphics that make 3D models retain the look of traditional 2D sprites and a host of new mechanics. Available for PS3 and PS4 with cross-platform netplay. If you're at all interested in picking up fighting games as a competitive hobby then this is a good buy as its in-game learning resources are really good for teaching you how fighting games work in general. Definitely the most popular game I will mention in this post.

Blazblue - not as good as guilty gear

Arc System Works' then-new franchise for the then-new video game generation. Takes a lot of mechanics from Guilty Gear, but without a lot of the specificity and input strictness. Early revisions were plagued by a host of pace and balance problems that have since been rectified, and the latest game, Blazblue Chronophantasma is generally regarded as Actually A Good Game, but veterans still lament that it is not as good as its older brother. Characters include angry gunsword-wielding Sol Badguy Ragna the Bloodedge, dandy vampire werewolf man Slayer Valkenhayn R. Hellsing, and basically all of the rest of the anime character archetypes you might care to imagine. Has a story that some people can actually follow about time loops and quantum observation but the only thing that matters are the gag endings. Has a spectacularly awful anime adaptation called Blazblue Alter Memory.

Persona 4 Arena - canon

The actually canonical fighting game sequel to beloved JRPG Persona 4, again made by Arc System Works. The cast of P4 and half the cast of P3 are dragged into the world of shadows again where a fighting tournament held by T. Bearson is underway. The cast must face their Shadows and uncover the mystery behind this latest incident. Was extraordinarily well-received on release for having a good pace and great learning curve: lots of simple universal commands and intuitive mechanics with a lot to be explored. Still retains the usual ArcSys feel while being a bit lighter and tighter on its feet than either of its predecessors. Popularity dropped off with time and after the next Blazblue revision, but its new update, Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (or just Persona 4 Arena Ultimax) has brought some revival to the game as it adds almost the entire playable P3 cast to the roster (no protagonist though, sorry he's still a door). Unfortunately the game has its own problems with stupidity. A newest arcade revision came out literally a day ago.

Melty Blood - ostensibly english

A company called French Bread made a fighting game based on Tsukihime, a visual novel by Type-Moon. This company decided that most of the terms in the game would be in English, which is unfortunate as no one on the staff can actually speak English, leading to separate stages named in the park and on the park, among other affronts to language. Generally considered A Good Game but due to the niche it's aimed at, it's one of the less popular but still fondly remembered anime fighting games. It also doesn't help that to get the latest revision, the PC-only Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code, you had to buy the Blu-rays for OVA anime series Carnival Phantasm. Melty Blood's unique mechanic is a "moon" system where a character can have three different sets of mechanics and possibly varying movesets based on whether you choose a Crescent, Half, or Full moon type, not unlike the groove system in Capcom vs. SNK 2. Characters include basically the entire cast of Tsukihime and extended related works, and a few new characters specifically for the game.

Under Night In-Birth - pushing it

French Bread decided they weren't done attacking English and made a new game under a completely original IP. I think the story is something about supernatural beings that are fought by some underground society and the main character gets turned into one of the supernatural people able to fight it, called an In-Birth because it's a pun on Inverse or whatever. The game is unique among anime fighters for being relatively grounded: double jumps and airdashes are heavily restricted and the game's offensive and defensive systems often more closely resemble those in Street Fighter or the like. Characters include all the usual anime cliches: high school boy protagonist, little girl who's actually several hundred years old no really guys, gigantic dude, prim and proper lady, etc. Probably the anime game with the most cross appeal to the fighting game community at large, kind of like what King of Fighters is to Street Fighter. Latest revision is called Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax - can kirito kill kirino

Sega and French Bread worked together to produce a game whose cast comprises a bunch of characters from light novels published by Dengeki Bunko. These include everyone's favorite Good Character Kirito, about four different characters voiced by Rie Kugimiya including Taiga and Shana, and elementary school basketballer Tomoka from a novel/show you shouldn't talk about. Very simplistic, it is not usually regarded as anywhere near as good as most of the other titles on this list but if you ever really just wanted to have Shizuo from Durarara beat up the sister from Oreimo then this is the game for you.

Darkstalkers - anime?

Long established fighting game series featuring various fairy tale and urban legend monsters, including a gun-toting little red riding hood, a vampire, and a yeti. Also the more well-known Morrigan Aensland. Apparently better than any other game on this list, who knew??

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match - tbh i don't know anything about this game

Like Melty Blood but for Aquaplus visual novels instead. Plays more like Street Fighter with assists than a normal anime fighter. I think only Norcal even plays this game at all so I'm sorry if you somehow like it.

Arcana Heart - ANIME MAX!!!!!

The most anime of anime games. There is a button dedicated to flying around the screen. Cast is entirely female filling every niche you can imagine. Looks visually awful but some people swear by this game so I dunno. Unique mechanic is that you select an "arcana", along with your character, which provides an extra universal set of moves depending on which arcana you select. This is really only here so I can tell you the latest revision is called Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! with all the capitalization and exclamation points.

Touhou Fighting Games - these exist

Every once in a while ZUN partners with Tasogare Frontier to produce a Touhou spinoff fighting game. To date they are, in order of release: Immaterial and Missing Power, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Touhou Hisoutensoku, Hopeless Masquerade, and Urban Legend in Limbo. Some of these are updates/expansions to other ones but gently caress if I can remember which ones, just know that IaMP and Hisoutensoku were the popular ones and Hopeless Masquerade is barely even a fighting game. The popular ones were actually pretty good and had creative interpretations of the shmup mechanics. Also you can hit people with a train.

Fate/unlimited codes - yes it's the song you think it is and also an f/sn spoiler

A 3D fighter based on Fate/stay night. Completely awful and really funny because of it.

Fist of the North Star - this isn't a song but you should watch the video

ArcSys makes a cash-in game. Completely bonkers broken (watch the video). It might show up in a kusoge or mystery game tournament.

ok that's enough effort, if people care i'll find nice and cool videos for some of these games play guilty gear.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

there all bad.

close thread.

:troll:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

there all bad.

close thread.

They're actually good.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

there all bad.

close thread.

you are correct but that has not stopped adtrw before and i'd be an rear end in a top hat to get in the way of that

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apparently P4A2 was on super sale on Amazon a few weeks back but I missed it and I'm still mad about it. Need to buy Xrd too but there's no way in hell I'll have time for the next 6 months to learn that poo poo. I wish I didn't move away from my old scene since I just got to play Melty Blood and 3s all the time

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Please include Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (ヴァンパイア セイヴァ) in your post, OP. It is both the father of modern Anime Fighting Games and better than all the games you listed.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
i have never actually heard someone claim darkstalkers is anime, but as you wish, friend

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm mad you listed MvC3 but not KoF XIII. Regardless on the lack of air dash tomfoolery, it is better than every game up there with the exception of GG. And it's also anime as gently caress.

Fake edit: Oh oh oh. Add Mark of the Wolves to the list too!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I'll take 2 things black people people love for 400 alex

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
KoF is not an anime game wtf

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012

Outer Science posted:

but if you ever really just wanted to have Shizuo from Durarara beat up the sister from Oreimo

I never realized it, but yes, I really do want this. In a similar stupid crossover vein, the Jump games on the DS were amazing and a sequel is long overdue.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Countblanc posted:

I just got to play Melty Blood and 3s all the time

way to piss it all away you rear end in a top hat!!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rogue Lemon posted:

I never realized it, but yes, I really do want this. In a similar stupid crossover vein, the Jump games on the DS were amazing and a sequel is long overdue.

J-Stars Victory VS (for the PS3 and Vita) came out a little under a year ago in Japan and is actually pretty good despite (or because?) Vegeta being the best character in the game.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

AlternateNu posted:

J-Stars Victory VS (for the PS3 and Vita) came out a little under a year ago in Japan and is actually pretty good despite (or because?) Vegeta being the best character in the game.

Victory VS is terrible.

Gundam Extreme Versus should be on the list, considering it is the best anime fighting game.

Countblanc posted:

KoF is not an anime game wtf

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Outer Science posted:

i have never actually heard someone claim darkstalkers is anime, but as you wish, friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMgV6iOuuQ

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Saint Seiya fighting game was entertaining. Shun was absurd in it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Victory VS is terrible.

Gundam Extreme Versus should be on the list, considering it is the best anime fighting game.

if Guilty gear counts as a anime fighting game, than that's debatable.
But seriously exterme versus is amazing.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
The original JJBA fighting game on like ps1 was loving sweet

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Waku Waku 7. It's really dumb and stupid and proud of it. Arcade original, ported to Saturn and PS2.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
I am the best animefighter as I have a perfect 1-0 online record in BBCP due to no one with a good connection playing it anymore.

I should probably pick up Xrd at some point but part of me thinks that if I wait half a year they'll come out with a version that includes Anji and Baiken.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJKY1lNJQ8Q

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 16, 2015

vkeios
May 7, 2007

i used to play melty blood a bit
hisui & kohaku own bones

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
skullgirls is pretty anime hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lp3I80B7eE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wow.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Indeed

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I haven't played skullgirls in forever now

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno how I missed this thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Relambrien, I ask that you please insert the JoJo capcom fighter into the thread and verbally fellate it, tia.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i don't think it's an anime game though...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mechanically Skullgirls toes the Anime Game line but proooobably isn't quite there.

Otherwise yeah it's pretty anime.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skullgirls is anime, but it is NOT an anime fightgame.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Skullgirls is anime, but it is NOT an anime fightgame.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hrm, don't see any mention of the Umineko fighter, which is very good and everyone should play it. :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm, don't see any mention of the Umineko fighter, which is very good and everyone should play it. :)
you played it once with me and then never again you fucker

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qb_lcQGm6Q

Also DFC really shouldn't be on this list, it's consigned to the garbage bin along with every other anime FG that died on day 1 (big bang beat, million knights vermillion, vanguard princess, chaos code, ougon)

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
GGXRD somehow managed to remove both of my previous mains, while giving me BED MAN.

gently caress you, GGXRD.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

you played it once with me and then never again you fucker

You owned me too hard

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
efz is the ultimate pedo fighting game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ypEkJvXks

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played this but then I made my friend really mad by playing the rifle lady so I stopped. I thought it was a really fun game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Popehoist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qb_lcQGm6Q

Also DFC really shouldn't be on this list, it's consigned to the garbage bin along with every other anime FG that died on day 1 (big bang beat, million knights vermillion, vanguard princess, chaos code, ougon)
the difference between DFC and those games is that DFC is ridiculously popular in japanese arcades

and also big bang beat ruled

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You owned me too hard
didnt i ronove counter literally every move you did one round

• Locked thread