Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Endorph posted:

the difference between DFC and those games is that DFC is ridiculously popular in japanese arcades

None of the games I listed died in Japan on day 1, I was referring to western FGC scene. DFC is also the worst game on that list which is quite impressive. I think its gameplay style of canned combos that lead directly into dumb oki is appealing to a lot of low-level japanese players, hence the popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Endorph posted:

the difference between DFC and those games is that DFC is ridiculously popular in japanese arcades
somebody's gotta tell me if this acronym is on purpose or not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Popehoist posted:

None of the games I listed died in Japan on day 1, I was referring to western FGC scene. DFC is also the worst game on that list which is quite impressive. I think its gameplay style of canned combos that lead directly into dumb oki is appealing to a lot of low-level japanese players, hence the popularity.
i think mikoto misaka is appealing to a lot of low-level japanese players, hence the popularity

Pitch posted:

somebody's gotta tell me if this acronym is on purpose or not
its japanese

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I used to be really good at Guilty Gear and mained Slayer but then Xrd made him pretty bad and now I get steamrolled a lot by other people.

UnderNight is surprisingly good which is weird cause I was all ready to hate it.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Endorph posted:

i think mikoto misaka is appealing to a lot of low-level japanese players, hence the popularity

i was gonna play her but then the game came out and people found out netplay sucked so i didn't even buy it

today in xrd i learned: gently caress ky and may

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fiend Computer posted:

UnderNight is surprisingly good which is weird cause I was all ready to hate it.
why would you want to hate a game made by the melty blood devs

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Outer Science posted:

today in xrd i learned: gently caress ky and may
If May is actually good I'll have to pick Xrd up once I get a PS4.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

why would you want to hate a game made by the melty blood devs

the art direction isn't really my taste. also never played melty blood :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fiend Computer posted:

also never played melty blood :v:
what the gently caress

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

man I'm not even interested in Tsukihime give me a break. I blew itoff because of that

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fiend Computer posted:

also never played melty blood :v:

Hol;y moly.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

man I'm not even interested in Tsukihime give me a break. I blew itoff because of that

Real Talk you don't have to give a poo poo about tsukihime, melty blood is a Really Good and Fun fighting game even if you have no idea what the hell is going on with any of the characters (and in all reality most of the people who play it probably don't care either). Play it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't know what Tsukihime is beyond people mentiopning it every time melty blood comes up, but melty blood is super good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

melty blood is a good fighting game

if you like tsukihime/nasuverse then it's also interesting for that but even outside of the thing it's based on it's just a Good Game

and i mean the characters are pretty self-evident. here's a dude with a knife. here's another dude with a knife. here's an androgynous woman with a knife. here's an electric vampire. here's a dude made out of bees.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 17, 2015

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
when's g-akiha, my true main

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Outer Science posted:

when's g-akiha, my true main
that time she fought onslaught in salty bet was the funniest thing

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWivht19UM

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nickelback is punishable by death in these forums

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nickelback is allowed under the Triple Q Clause

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Melty Blood is p good but the final revisions of it kinda sucked. gold airthrows don't feel properly implemented into the game, hime and seiten are awfully designed characters, a lot of the poorer characters never got the necessary changes to become either more interesting, more viable, or both. Everything else ecole has done since has been average to dogshit which doesn't give me much hope for when they go back to melty.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A while back somebody was asking about the Touhou fighters in the Touhou thread, so I might as well post my response.

BlitzBlast posted:

IaMP is a much better designed fighting game, with more emphasis on meter management, zoning, and actually doing combos. It is also a slow as hell game because if the players know what they are doing the game turns into "both sides spam bullets and graze like crazy, occasionally somebody manages to land a combo", but that is sort of the point.

SWR/HT is more exciting to watch, but in many ways it's a vastly inferior game. Character movesets were heavily trimmed down, the super meter is now tied to a randomized, finite resource, and basically all the new systems are awful. The randomized weather is loving stupid (stuff like "characters can fly twice as long" is alright, but stuff like Typhoon, Sandstorm, Diamond Dust or the original version of River Mist completely change the mechanics and can utterly gently caress you over), the randomized decks make character customization a crapshoot more than anything (want to use your new moves? Hope you draw the card!), the Limit system was supposed to be an anti-infinite system but actually ends up punishing combo-reliant characters because the damage scaling is ridiculous, and since bursts are also tied to your deck (for some infathomable reason), the only responses to pressure or corner combos is to get really good at blocking. Oh, and hope that it's not Sunshower because haha. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but it is totally worse than IaMP in every single way.

Also it has the worst arrange of Night Falls in existence.

Fast forward to HM, and you're basically looking at two different games. The original version of HM was horrible. Like, they straight up released the first working version they had or something because half the game was missing, poo poo was slow as gently caress, and Koishi could crash the game at will. The full game, on the other hand, is basically SSB in the air. I wish I could say more about it, but I really can't because it also has the worst netplay in the series. It's actually kind of hilarious because for a while it worked perfectly (though it would eventually desync), but then Tasofro did something and now it's utterly worthless for anything non-local. I honestly don't know how they managed to fix and then break netplay, but Tasofro always aim to impress I guess.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
The newest arcade revision for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has a bunch of characters added that previously were only on consoles, including the hotly-anticipated Adachi, and the significantly-less-anticipated Marie. It'll probably be a little while before we see real expert play with any of them, but looking forward to it. Hopefully less ToD bullshit this version, also.

Significantly, Shadow-type characters can actually burst now, but can't activate frenzy unless they have that stocked. The threat of burst and the usage thereof should encourage safer combos when facing the Shadow-types, and games shouldn't devolve so frequently into the previously-linked Omoshiroi Kusoge shitshow. That said, I'm more or less OK with Liz having a ToD since it is expensive to pull off, burstable (the video was from many months ago, before Shadows had a burst) and she's otherwise a 'bad' character.

Mainly this post is an excuse to link the best track for the best character, though.

Batigh fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 18, 2015

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
So instead of a patch here BBCP's getting a retail Extend edition. Coming to both PS4 and XB1 along with a PS3 version, with crossplay support between PS3/4. Lambda's returning and Celica with her Stand/robot/bodyguard is a new character. No mention of whether Kokonoe and Terumi will be in the game already or if you'll have to re-buy/download them.

Why do I like this stupid series?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kokonoe and Terumi are definitely going to be included.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Did they ever fix that hilariously awful sounding hit SFX CP introduced?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

And it's not coming to Vita...:sigh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

Did they ever fix that hilariously awful sounding hit SFX CP introduced?

Uh that sound effect owns and is part of the reason why CP was really good until Extend.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rival Schools and Project Justice are pretty anime. The first game's create-a-fighter mode is a dating sim.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Kleptobot posted:

Why do I like this stupid series?

I like BB more than GG and ask myself this everyday.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Rival Schools and Project Justice are pretty anime. The first game's create-a-fighter mode is a dating sim.

I want more games with attack photography and selfies

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Mai Natsume & Cajun Faycott (from the fanservice-y Remix Heart manga) confirmed as new characters for BBCP Extend for the story mode, not playable as far as we know.

I don't know who Cajun is but if her English VA isn't James Carville trying to do a high-pitched voice I'll be disappointed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, they are seriously going to do what they did with CP and add an entire section of the story dedicated to Remix Heart, aren't they?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Cajun is like the most nothing character from an already nothing manga that is being made canon because Mori must make everything canon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh my god, they are seriously going to do what they did with CP and add an entire section of the story dedicated to Remix Heart, aren't they?
i think it's just a little bonus story with remix heart characters

i think

probably

either way i dont think it'll wind up like phase 0 did in cp

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why do they keep adding stories that make no sense to these games?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

i think it's just a little bonus story with remix heart characters

i think

probably

either way i dont think it'll wind up like phase 0 did in cp

If I know Mori, it's that he doesn't do this poo poo for no reason.

Sakurazuka posted:

Why do they keep adding stories that make no sense to these games?

Oh wait until you hear about what Ragna actually looks like at the end of CP.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's this

edit: sorry, forgot to thumbnail

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait, when was that image published? because i saw fanart of ragna with that design on pixiv in like early 2013 im pretty sure

did blazblue rip off a pixiv artist

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mori liked that image so much that he is using it as his twitter banner and is talking about putting it in the actual game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly ragnu would be the least stupid new character in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't think of any recent character who is dumber than this except like Celica and she's existed for a while now.

• Locked thread