Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Swelter Discharge posted:

you've enver played nocturne tho

I'm not saying they're all bad just that, in general, I don't like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's okay to dislike things

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah

its ok to like things people dislike too

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Persona games are pretty good, if you can handle the difficulty.

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I actually have P4 for my PS2 but I don't think I played a lot of it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

I actually have P4 for my PS2 but I don't think I played a lot of it

it's good, and somewhat challenging, and a good entry point for the SMT series for a newcomer.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
oh you have a ps2? yeah play shadow hearts 2 then.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

persona is easy as poo poo and boring, and the only good thing about it is spending 200 hours immersed in beautiful anime small town land with our best firends, chie, and yosuek, and yukiko, and that firebrand dilenquent with heart of gold kanji, and beautiful troubled rise, and the beautiful human being teddy man, and the transexual detective boy with the stupid hat, and your drukn uncle and his retard daughter, et al

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012
I think I have my PS2 around here somewhere. I don't know how much I got into P4, like, to having to save Kanji I think? I don't know why I quit Kanji is the best character

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
theres a lot of best characters in persona 4

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

elf help book posted:

theres a lot of best characters in persona 4

Kanji is the best character though

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

This is a beary bad opinion!!!

(jk Kanji is good)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

every game can be difficult to someone

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
shadow yukiko and contrarian king are a little harsh in 4, p3p on hard can be pretty tough

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Persona 1 and 2 (both versions of 2) are really different from 3 and 4 and several people I've tried to introduce them to who got into jrpg's through 4 hated them.

I love 2 but its combat system is really slow.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Persona 1 and 2 (both versions of 2) are really different from 3 and 4 and several people I've tried to introduce them to who got into jrpg's through 4 hated them.

This is why the gods gave us speed control on emulators.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Persona 4 strikes me as a game that should have just been a visual novel, the dungeons seem really boring. But I guess the previous games have even slower combat? What a fuckload of rear end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Persona 4 strikes me as a game that should have just been a visual novel, the dungeons seem really boring. But I guess the previous games have even slower combat? What a fuckload of rear end.

are you saying you havent played any of them

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

naw cos they basically did that with the fighting game and it was garbage trash poo poo

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Well, I'm currently streaming the best jRPG ever on Steam, and that's all I stream these days, so that should say something about how awesome jRPGs are.

...Or my tastes.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

elf help book posted:

are you saying you havent played any of them
Nah, I never caught that ride, but I've watched streams of Persona 4 before to see what it was all about.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Maybe try actually playing it. It's fun.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Is P4:Golden much different from P4? I played P4 on the PS2, but I didn't like it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But it's probably harder to tell how much fun you'll have playing a JRPG just from watching it than any other kinda game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Iron Casanova posted:

Is P4:Golden much different from P4? I played P4 on the PS2, but I didn't like it.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_4_Golden

i started typing but there's a lot of stuff

it's drastically different

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Iron Casanova posted:

If you didn't like p4, you probably wouldn't like golden

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Eye of Widesauron posted:

persona 1 is cool. 2 is cool too but the combat is really bad and way too easy

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i got charm bullets for my guns in persona 1 and never changed off of them up until the teleporter maze dungeon. i quit after that.

i don't wanna ever do the thing to get reiji again. i wish i could get yuki outside of snow queen

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

whos reiji? do you mean chris?

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Looper posted:

If you didn't like p4, you probably wouldn't like golden

From what I read it looks that way, was hoping the gameplay was changed.I liked Strange Journey, what SMT game is like that one.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Iron Casanova posted:

From what I read it looks that way, was hoping the gameplay was changed.I liked Strange Journey, what SMT game is like that one.

Soul Hackers is kinda like it but really short.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Iron Casanova posted:

1 2 KMT & soul hackers are some other first person SMTs

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Swelter Discharge posted:

whos reiji? do you mean chris?

yeah i played the psp remake one that has cool music like later games and QoL changes, and it merged the two translations

instead of Eriko being Ellen, she's listed as Eriko "Elly" Kirishima and just called Elly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCmNKiWDfew this is one of the only really bad persona 1 psp songs but it's just because you hear it waaaaaay too much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgoqvt6wpQs this is the world map after poo poo goes down and it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xfm-IDo4Eg i don't remember where this is used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihHmYL7aWPY this is the final boss and it's sick as hell

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 19, 2015

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Iron Casanova posted:

Play SMT 4.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Play Nocturne before you bother with 4, and maybe if you like alternative styles and cool stuff, play Digital Devil Saga.

I plan to play digital devil saga and become one of the few to defeat Demifiend

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
gonna be the infinite voice to say play nocturne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

Play SMT 4.

I'll get it as soon as I'm done with EO4

Doctor Goat posted:

Play Nocturne before you bother with 4, and maybe if you like alternative styles and cool stuff, play Digital Devil Saga.

Doctor Goat posted:

I guess I'll give them a try, I'll pick up whichever is the cheapest first.

• Locked thread