Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nice new OP. My favorite parts are the picture of Key with a cat and that one with the brown bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Stop being racist against sports lovers

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's 2015, who even uses physical currency anymore.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not going to accuse Paul Henry of being a pedophile without any evidence but

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You're not a real bloke till you've had a bloke.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
can't please everyone

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is a lot of rubbish surrounding the perception of recycling.

An Australian company is actually responsible for a good chunk of the Auckland council recycling contracts. I guess nobody ever thinks about it in this way, but the recycling business is actually extremely competitive. Think about the logistics of it, someone has to come to your door, pickup a bin of unsorted trash, spend ridiculous amounts of money on advanced sorting technology, then create a finished product that is good enough to charge money for (and be profitable).

Not sure how the data is wrangled to make up that chart, but it may have something to do with the fact that the end result of recycling in NZ is a product (packaging materials) that get sent overseas to international buyers.

Also fun fact: Those special "All Black" Anchor bottles are ridiculously difficult to recycle. Practically all sorting technology have an impossible time with black so they literally have people picking out those bottles by hand. No surprise that a campaign meant to inspire national pride is a loving disaster for our environment.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't be so happy if my sausages looked like that

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

if only we hadn't aborted new plymouth and 500,000 kiwi battlers

Why is there a puppy in this poster?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Winston should stay in parliament until he dies, just like, without any ability to influence anything.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We should change our immigration focus to only let in Asian street food vendors IMO.

If you're in Auckland (or Hamilton apparently?), try the night markets if you haven't already. It's the closest thing you're get to street food in NZ.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
For once I just wish the Government would stop to consider the effect of their policies on white, middle-aged home owners in Auckland.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Voted for renter, but I'm also a stupid piece of poo poo because I didn't buy property in Auckland five years ago.

e: Feel even more stupid now that the wife and I are seriously considering moving in with parents for a couple years so we can increase the deposit fund faster.

Xik fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 5, 2016

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Red_Museum posted:

I can't believe there were 9 seasons of Treasure Island

Big Brother has been going for 17 years.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Wellington would own if the nightlife wasn't 90% based around dumb vomiting 18 year olds, boring 30-something suits talking about IPAs, and drunk bogans from Masterton having a night out in the 'big smoke'.

What other type of nightlife is there?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
In my experience, Tongans and Samoans both use "mum" to refer to the mother of their children. Their wife if they're married, partner if they aren't.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I took a visit to Dunedin earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Did all the touristy things, paid money to walk through a bunch of old houses, ate chocolate, saw a castle, was a good time.

Wife and I would seriously consider moving there if it didn't involve the death of both of our careers :v:.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

My mortgage is 200 a month.

Can't even get a carpark for that much.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
French hitchhiker 'goes berserk' in New Zealand after four days stuck without a lift

quote:

A Frenchman has gone on a frustrated rampage in a tiny New Zealand fishing village after he spent four days waiting for a hitchhiking ride.

The 27-year-old Frenchman arrived in the west coast settlement of Punakaiki, home to just 70-full-time residents, late last week

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Adam John HOLLAND
Auckland Legalise Cannabis

[Photo Not Supplied]
[No Statement Provided]

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It probably wasn't difficult to get the numbers of the dozen houses in his patch.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

bike tory posted:

Speculative demand also affects prices much more so than rents, which are better measure of actual demand. Anyone want to share how much rent theyre paying in Auckland rn?

Partner and I pay $420 a week for a two bedroom unit in what is considered "central" (just off Dominion Road). It's a 15 minute bus then a 15 min walk to work. We both pay $3.10 per trip, twice a day to get there and back (~$250 a month without pulling up the budget).

This rent is quite "low" based on our searching for alternatives, the property manager that used to be in charge appeared to be fairly incompetent and kept failing to bump the rent. Since he was replaced it's been increasing at the maximum amount allowed by law. :)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I just came back from Wellington for a few days with a colleague (work related visit). It is honestly disgusting just how indifferent I've become about seeing people sleep on the streets.

Our hosts made a comment that the part of the city we were in has a high number of homeless. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I see more by walking 500 meters along Queen Street then I have the entire time I was there.

:smugdog:Auckland! We do everything better! :smugdog:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Also Wellington is pretty and I want to move there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
An article titled "The Mega Rich Have Found an Unlikely New Refuge" (hint: it's NZ) reached the front page on HN. If you enjoy reading comments from armchair economists in the US "startup crowd" about the state of our housing market, you're in for a treat.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Stoners don't vote so you're left with those that would benefit from it medicinally and understand that option.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
FYI, if you ever hit a paywall like this just Google the article title. Practically everyone allows Google referrers to view the full article so they can stay indexed.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Old white guy and leader of our nation says protests at Waitangi no longer relevant.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Who voted this guy in anyway.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Last time I read the fine print of the major ISP's traffic shaping/management policies, it wasn't even a competition. Spark was the best by a landslide.
Whenever friends and family make a quick decision to move to Vodafone to save a ~$10 a year or something they always regret it. Theoretical line speeds are the same but in practice they are almost always worse.

For mobile it seems to be the opposite, I've been with Vodafone since they gobbled up Bellsouth and I can't remember a time when they haven't been the most competitive in the prepay space (the new flexi plans are stupid good value).

(I know it's bad timing to praise Spark when they just had a bunch of major network outages but whatever...)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
you lot are really taking this thing to the Max

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Maths is hard

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Unaffordable housing, a hosed environment and an older retirement age. We truly have it all.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
For all you goons struggling to buy your own home, you just have to follow the simple advice provided on the front page of today's herald.

Contains such insightful tips as:
  • Buy your first home eight years ago
  • Buy your first home three years ago
  • Get a job at 16 and don't go to university
  • Get a second job
  • Work 97 hours a week

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If none of this advice is good enough then eight years ago you should have used the $200,000 wedding gift you got from your dad to start your "career" as a landlord. If you're not in this situation, you should toughen up, stop complaining on facebook and join the army.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

El Pollo Blanco posted:

My favourite one of these articles was the 23 year old couple being like 'you could have a house too, if you're like us and don't have a Wi-Fi router".

:tif:

Alternatively, you should have purchased a property four years ago. Then "worked, and worked and worked", give "up all luxuries, basically gave up everything". Make sure you don't forget to "bill close to $200,000" in your first year back working.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
NYTimes did another bullshit piece on New Zealand.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Let god figure that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I went last year, it was a decent bit of fun. But the star attraction is the tower which drops poo poo loads of chocolate, can't imagine how that will work when the factory isn't there.

• Locked thread