Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

as bad as uber can be, to be fair taxi service is the loving worst. i switched to uber from taxi in providence b/c it was so absurd

oh sorry, drunk and downtown, but you don't live within a 2 mile vicinity? sorry not going to drive you there, no matter what you offer to pay. oh you need us to pick you up at 1pm? sure we'll be there. 30 minutes late, because gently caress you. and you can go to a competitor if you want, but they're all just as bad. eat poo poo.

Minus all the Uber corporate problems/dishonesty, the actual service and app is pretty slick.

Basically takes the guesswork out of things like wondering how long you will have to wait for pickup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

etalian posted:

Minus all the Uber corporate problems/dishonesty, the actual service and app is pretty slick.

Basically takes the guesswork out of things like wondering how long you will have to wait for pickup

wow you said something positive about uber

who are you and what did you do with etalian

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If only there was a happy medium between the two. A couple of my friends have used Uber for those exact reasons and loved it but the company/regulations/etc are kind of lame and I don't really like the precedent they are setting of 'oh we're just not going to comply with your regulations and continue to operate because gently caress you, fine us.'

Although I guess they aren't really setting that precedent so much as just stealing standard operating procedure from big corporations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a start up it's called 'Waste Gas and Destroy the Environment' and for a small fee of $.99/hr we'll just drive your car around when you can't be bothered to thus maximizing the use of the engine and ensuring you continue to consume gasoline and emit carbon 100% of the day. MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

I saw a new startup the other day on HN. Their service is that theyll pick your car up from your house and go fill it with gas and then return it to your home. loving lol. The idea is bad enough before you realize all the gas for the return trips would be wasted.
Can't they just bring gas to the car? Or do they do other stuff like clean it.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

If only there was a happy medium between the two. A couple of my friends have used Uber for those exact reasons and loved it but the company/regulations/etc are kind of lame and I don't really like the precedent they are setting of 'oh we're just not going to comply with your regulations and continue to operate because gently caress you, fine us.'

Although I guess they aren't really setting that precedent so much as just stealing standard operating procedure from big corporations.

In San Francisco, there is Flywheel. The app experience is about the same as Uber, but it hails a regular taxi instead of some poor college grad who got suckered into a massive luxury car loan. It doesn't have surge pricing either. Instead you can specify a guaranteed tip.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

That would violate all sorts of environmental laws (not that a SV firm would care) or be really expensive.
You are not supposed to just fill cars out of a jerrycan in any parking lot, it is ok to do it in a emergency but it would cause serious problems if thousands of people did it all the time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

They said some regulations prevent them from transporting gas to you.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

They said some regulations prevent them from transporting gas to you.
Isn't that something roadside assistance services can already do though? Not that I think skipping a trip to the pump is worth a service like that in the first place it just makes this one seem even dumber.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well how are they going to get the gas into my car, I'd either have to come outside and unlock the car for them, stand there, then lock it and go back in when they're done (thus defeating the point imo) or I'd have to give them a copy of the key or some sort of access to my car and gently caress that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can't fill up anything larger than those small hand-carry canisters at a pump at the gas station, and I don't think the road side services do anything more than that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Road side services also charge out the rear end for the pleasure.

Gasoline not being carried to fuel the vehicle it's in is a hazardous material. You need a certified driver, placards, a vehicle certified for the purpose... You can absolutely get gas or diesel delivered to your house!

It's just that the companies that do it don't get out of bed for less than a few hundred litres worth. You know those trucks that deliver furnace oil? Yeah, they'll do gas too if you order a few grands worth. It's just not worth it otherwise for them, so figure out the economics of doing it for a single gas tank.

A truckload of diesel is 8-10k gallons, btw.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Road side services also charge out the rear end for the pleasure.

Gasoline not being carried to fuel the vehicle it's in is a hazardous material. You need a certified driver, placards, a vehicle certified for the purpose...

Don't forget the wild card

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
so how do they wash the cars without water? cali has the water restrictions and all that

scoob stallion
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp
:iamafag:

Cleft Loaf
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp

AZ Guy
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

execute all stanford grads, including and especially the grads who's parents made under $150k and don't pay tuition.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Nonsense posted:

execute all stanford grads, including and especially the grads who's parents made under $150k and don't pay tuition.

"The truth about life in 2015 at Stanford, where 21-year-olds are offered hundreds of thousands of dollars right out of school"
http://www.businessinsider.com/life-at-stanford-in-2015-2015-4

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 8, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

God dammit, that poo poo was orders of magnitude more interesting than this lovely thread

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
STEM is gay as is anyone who makes their money from it. Lol if you don't just short the stock market for maximum cash.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Soylent formula got updated

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/soylent-1-4-formula-changes-taste-shifts-macronutrients-ditches-oils/

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I like how the ads for becoming an Uber driver that I'm hearing on the radio do not tell you what you are using your car for. It pretty much boils down to "make money with your car!" No mention of insurance problems, vomit spray in your vehicle, and Uber hanging you out to dry if poo poo goes south for you (and it will.) I had to convince one of my buddies that becoming an Uber driver was a bad idea. Fortunately, he listened to me and is enjoying the always-rewarding retail sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Neurion posted:

I like how the ads for becoming an Uber driver that I'm hearing on the radio do not tell you what you are using your car for. It pretty much boils down to "make money with your car!" No mention of insurance problems, vomit spray in your vehicle, and Uber hanging you out to dry if poo poo goes south for you (and it will.) I had to convince one of my buddies that becoming an Uber driver was a bad idea. Fortunately, he listened to me and is enjoying the always-rewarding retail sector.

The vomit thing is way overblown, since with Uber (and Lyft, too) you choose when and where to work so it's really easy to avoid drunk customers.

• Locked thread