Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

drunkill posted:

Man in the High Castle was amazing for a pilot. Very Wolfenstein: The New Order. Just needed some German covers of The Beatles and The Eagles.
Uh, you do realize that Wolfenstein: the New Order was probably heavily inspired by the Philip K. Dick novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Teek posted:

The Man in the High Castle is currently killing it on starred reviews, I think it might end up being their best reviewed one yet. Seems almost a certainty to get picked up.

It's got Ridley Scott's name attached to it, they're liable to pick it up for that alone.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Deadpool posted:

But it was terrible so that's a good thing.

So are 75% of the shows currently on the first page of TVIV.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

When do we commence with the burning of the cripples and the terminally ill?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Tuesday. Duh.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I was enjoying the show already, but that scene with the ashes really sold me on it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Work will set you free!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
MitHC was great, but it would have been infinitely better if I hadn't been subjected to DJ Qualls' dumb face.

The ashes scene was also hilariously on-the-nose.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, you do realize that Wolfenstein: the New Order was probably heavily inspired by the Philip K. Dick novel.

Yes. Just saying that they went further for the games promotion and immersion by having German covers of popular songs of the time setting (60s) for the game.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

MitHC was great, but it would have been infinitely better if I hadn't been subjected to DJ Qualls' dumb face.

The ashes scene was also hilariously on-the-nose.
Shut your hole and go watch Z Nation.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Goddamn region lock. I want to watch the Man in the High Castle and all google tells me is some thing called a VPN or programs I have to pay for.
Don't be so drat selfish America. Leave some internet for the rest of us.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Chadzok posted:

Goddamn region lock. I want to watch the Man in the High Castle and all google tells me is some thing called a VPN or programs I have to pay for.
Don't be so drat selfish America. Leave some internet for the rest of us.

I can watch it without problems in Germany. Dunno where you live though.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GaussianCopula posted:

I can watch it without problems in Germany. Dunno where you live though.

Is that what life is like in Germany? No freedoms, all nazis? I'm genuinely curious.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrNutt posted:

I couldn't make it through Cocked. It seems incredibly poorly written. ("Oh ho ho, the liberal son in the family thinks kale salad sounds great, yuck yuck yuck!") And all the gun culture stuff feels incredibly inauthentic. I am no fan of guns myself but it feels like the people writing it don't really have a clue and did very little research and that bugs the poo poo out of me.

I had the same issues as Cocked, plus for some reason when I watched it it looked like it didn't have the color fixed, which meant that there were color differences between shots in the same scene and it was very washed out overall. I ended up turning it off halfway through.

Salem Rogers was... not completely terrible, I guess? Seems like it would be a decent fit alongside You're The Worst and Always Sunny on FXX.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What's been the typical turnaround time for Amazon to go from pilot to full season? I've watched their pilots before but never really followed the process.

I also think I may be the only person who liked Salem Rogers. I mean it wasn't something I'd go out of my way to see, but it had a few laughs in it and some good potential mainly because it is well cast.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Niwrad posted:

What's been the typical turnaround time for Amazon to go from pilot to full season? I've watched their pilots before but never really followed the process.

It varies. Transparent took about eight months, Mozart in the Jungle came out about 2 months later, and Bosch isn't even out until next month, but all of those shows were in the same Pilot Season. I wouldn't expect any of the current pilots to hit until at least Fall. Though I wouldn't be shocked if they told The Man in the High Castle folks to get to work before the pilots even came out. Any competent studio executive would already know they have a winner there.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 17, 2015

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
MitHC was actually really good and I hope it gets picked up, but it did kind of hold the audience's hand: the final scene with the Nazi interrogators was the worst offender, with the deputy practically explaining the evil plot twist to the camera.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Yeah MitHC is good, I hope it gets picked up. But I wish they had put a bit more work in the design. Nazi and Japanese uniforms are the same as they were in the 40s, they are still using bolt action rifles while you see Americans driving modern (for the 60s) cars around. The good bit was the Nazi airplane, looked like a Concorde. I can't remember how it was in the book, I read it years ago.

I think Wolfenstein : The New Order did it better and had more inspiration overall. There was a sense of technological progress while keeping a distinct WWII Nazi Germany look. Plus the whole 60s Nazi rock thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mmtt posted:

The good bit was the Nazi airplane, looked like a Concorde. I can't remember how it was in the book, I read it years ago.

In the book, they used ballistic rockets to travel.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Enjoyed Mad Dogs - how does it compare to the original (which I haven't seen)?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The Man in the High Castle had better drat well go to series. (Of course it will.)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wow, these pilots are only available if you are the primary Prime account, I thought Amazon wouldn't be stupid like that and would want more subscribers, but well, ok sure. I'll just keep getting free 2 day shipping from my mom's account and not see your shows via your service Amazon. Good job! Maybe in 10 years you'll figure out why I happily pay for Netflix.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

Wow, these pilots are only available if you are the primary Prime account, I thought Amazon wouldn't be stupid like that and would want more subscribers, but well, ok sure. I'll just keep getting free 2 day shipping from my mom's account and not see your shows via your service Amazon. Good job! Maybe in 10 years you'll figure out why I happily pay for Netflix.

i dont have prime. i watched them fine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

i dont have prime. i watched them fine.

It won't let me.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Salem Rodgers is funny so far and the cast is awesome.

Ha! Harry Hamlin's doing rails of Boniva because cocaine ate away his bone density

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I liked Salem Rodgers, New Yorker Presents and Man in the High Castle.

I told a relative about the pilot season and he told me his kids liked Niko and the Sword of Light.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IRQ posted:

It won't let me.

I have Prime and it won't let me. I installed Silverlight (bleh!), but I get nothing.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
In The Man in the High Castle I think it's cool that The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a movie and not a book. I'm really looking forward to it, although I did notice that a few twists in the book were laid out in the pilot, and one of the main characters seems to be missing so far.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Man in the High Castle was great and I'm really looking forward to it being made into a series. Didn't really care for their over-use of CGI for sets but I'm willing to chalk that up to them not having enough money for shutting down times square and draping swastikas all over it.

Point of Honor is some hot garbage though. Being the latest entry into the Lost Cause isn't even its worst flaw. The characters except for Dixie Sue don't feel fleshed out at all and the West Point commandant could not be a more one-dimensional villain if the writers tried.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Man in the High Castle was never set in New York though, it was pretty much exclusively west coast. Dealt much more with the Japanese occupation authorities than the German ones on the East Coast aside from radio broadcasts about the new Fuhrer since Borman died.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Fair enough but the bit of CGI I hated the most was the sweeping shot of San Francisco in the beginning. It just looked really bad, the banner raising you see for like two seconds in street shots was particularly bad looking.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

Is that what life is like in Germany? No freedoms, all nazis? I'm genuinely curious.

You can't show the swazzy in Germany, it's banned in all media i think. So yeah, no freedom of speech for neo nazi's

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
It's a pilot for an internet show, I thought they did really well given the scope of what they were doing and probable budget they were working with. That stuff is *expensive*, you can tell even in powerhouses like Game of Thrones where budget rubs up against adaptation. I didn't think anything was egregious, I was too busy trying to take in background details (I can read some Japanese and try to guess at German) to really notice. That Nazi Concorde really surprised me :stare:

I am not super-sold on either of those leads, and I hope they make the one Nazi guy slightly less one-dimensional (I did like the guy in the SF machine shop dropping Rommel's name), but then again, Nazis. It's also been way too long since I listened to the audiobook, just put a hold on the Kindle version at my local library.

Also, that title sequence is loving amazing, would be a great teaser.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mmtt posted:

Yeah MitHC is good, I hope it gets picked up. But I wish they had put a bit more work in the design. Nazi and Japanese uniforms are the same as they were in the 40s, they are still using bolt action rifles while you see Americans driving modern (for the 60s) cars around. The good bit was the Nazi airplane, looked like a Concorde. I can't remember how it was in the book, I read it years ago.

I think Wolfenstein : The New Order did it better and had more inspiration overall. There was a sense of technological progress while keeping a distinct WWII Nazi Germany look. Plus the whole 60s Nazi rock thing.

Murica was using that nice shiny M-16 for nigh on 40 years. It's not a game changer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

slomomofo posted:

Enjoyed Mad Dogs - how does it compare to the original (which I haven't seen)?

I never saw Mad Dogs when it was first on. But I'm tempted to track down the original. I know the same writer has adapted it.

Things took a particularly crazy turn when A midget with a cat head walked in.

EDIT: Actually I've just seen the original pilot and it's pretty similar, down to some of the lines, but the character dynamics and plotting is different. In the original it's basically right as they get there that the goat shows up in the pool. It's interesting to see all the little changes. In the original, Alvo fucks with them all individually (And the conversation with Steve Zahn is verbatim from this one).

The bigger difference is that the ending plays out longer in the remake. But the original ends pretty much moments after their visitor arrives. I can see why the remake did it, it keeps the intensity of the scene and is a bigger 'we're hosed' ending.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 25, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I did a quick forums search for a place to rave about Man in the High Castle. Was not disappointed.

Yeah, a lot of it was on the nose, like the dead-people rain and the pregnant glance from the aikido guy who totally just wanted to take our girl out for tea, but the final ~reveal~ kind of caught me like the last five seconds of the Battlestar Galactica miniseries and I felt a bit stupid for not seeing it coming. I did a quick lookup of the book and it seems like the show is more inspired by it than following its plot point-for-point, which is a very good thing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Propaganda Machine posted:

I did a quick forums search for a place to rave about Man in the High Castle. Was not disappointed.

Yeah, a lot of it was on the nose, like the dead-people rain and the pregnant glance from the aikido guy who totally just wanted to take our girl out for tea, but the final ~reveal~ kind of caught me like the last five seconds of the Battlestar Galactica miniseries and I felt a bit stupid for not seeing it coming. I did a quick lookup of the book and it seems like the show is more inspired by it than following its plot point-for-point, which is a very good thing.

your idea of a raving about something is very different to mine.

Seriously though, if they can give it half the scope the book has got, it will be something pretty drat good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm more just happy that everybody else also really really liked it and it's basically a shoo-in for a full order. I was concerned it would be another case of me having bizarre tastes in things and totally digging something that nobody else likes. I'm very new to Prime so I have no idea how to look up the statistics and such.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

I never saw Mad Dogs when it was first on. But I'm tempted to track down the original. I know the same writer has adapted it.

Things took a particularly crazy turn when A midget with a cat head walked in.

EDIT: Actually I've just seen the original pilot and it's pretty similar, down to some of the lines, but the character dynamics and plotting is different. In the original it's basically right as they get there that the goat shows up in the pool. It's interesting to see all the little changes. In the original, Alvo fucks with them all individually (And the conversation with Steve Zahn is verbatim from this one).

The bigger difference is that the ending plays out longer in the remake. But the original ends pretty much moments after their visitor arrives. I can see why the remake did it, it keeps the intensity of the scene and is a bigger 'we're hosed' ending.

Thanks - that's good to know if Amazon doesn't follow through on the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'll freely admit to not paying any attention to Amazon TV until I saw "Hey monster you want to watch a TV show called The Man in the High Castle right?" on the Amazon front page. Jeff Bezos you read my mind :allears:

Good show, and I like how (book spoiler)the opening credits show the projection light, so we're watching the show while the people in that universe seem to have access to actual footage from our universe and oh dear I've gone crosseyed. In the novel, "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" was really not our universe at all, though the Axis was defeated. I wonder if that's what the "footage" is. How long until these shows are picked up?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread