Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Also I nominate max holloway for most improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CommonShore posted:

It's just the hype. He beat a top-60 opponent who slipped in the ring and he is now getting treated as if he's the second coming. Whatever the expectations are, he's gotten a stunning amount of press and hype behind him.

That isn't anything Sage can control.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

david carmichael posted:

surely the fighter who breaks out the most is rory macdonald

lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That isn't anything Sage can control.

Is fighter's own control over his promoter's efforts a criterion? Personally, I think that a 1-0 UFC fighter who gets more attention than his division's champion qualifies as "overhyped." Is he the most? Who knows. If you disagree then don't vote for him :confused:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Dangersim posted:

This may have been conor's breakthrough year for the general public but last year was his breakout for the hardcores. Joanna makes the most sense.

Also RDA.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CommonShore posted:

Is fighter's own control over his promoter's efforts a criterion? Personally, I think that a 1-0 UFC fighter who gets more attention than his division's champion qualifies as "overhyped." Is he the most? Who knows. If you disagree then don't vote for him :confused:

But if that is the case Ronda would win that category, she has way more promoter hype than any other fighter. Having fighters who are undefeated in the UFC in that category is dumb.

It should be fighters who are being hyped and are not winning fights.

e: Sage would win the "Unproven" award, but that's stupid.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I agree he's very probably overhyped (unless he isnt, it's officially too early to tell) but my point was he hasn't underperformed yet. He's absolutely smashed 100% of his UFC competition to date, it's just that amounts to one dude who had a whole lot going against him in pretty much every possible way. This isn't like Overeem coming off strikeforce hype and the Lesnar win only to lose untriumphantly a zillion times.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I think overhyped/underperformed for this year could easily go to Velasquez or Pettis, as seemingly dominant champions who were expected to slaughter their respective challengers, only to get destroyed. Although, that's kinda unfair to Werdum/RDA, since I'd say it was much more that they outperformed Velasquez/Pettis than the former champs underperforming.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Under the radar, and behind Joanna in truth, this has been an amazing year for Thomas Almeida.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I claim that Anthony Pettis didn't underperform and instead he has the same strengths and weaknesses he has always had. Similarly for Cain. Anthony Pettis was big time overhyped, but perhaps Sergio even moreso

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I guess Cain perhaps for overhyped as well, judging by all the posts about how he'd destroy all the heavyweights and also jones

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

I think overhyped/underperformed for this year could easily go to Velasquez or Pettis, as seemingly dominant champions who were expected to slaughter their respective challengers, only to get destroyed. Although, that's kinda unfair to Werdum/RDA, since I'd say it was much more that they outperformed Velasquez/Pettis than the former champs underperforming.

I'd say Velasquez very much underperformed as well, and did a terrible job preparing for the fight. By the same token, Werdum did an amazing job preparing and gave a career topping performance.

Pettis just got his rear end kicked.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I'd say Velasquez very much underperformed as well, and did a terrible job preparing for the fight. By the same token, Werdum did an amazing job preparing and gave a career topping performance.

Pettis just got his rear end kicked.

I doubt it was the altitude that made Cain Velasquez fight like he always has. Also in the week to the fight there were a bunch of videos of werdum drinking, laughing and slapping

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

I claim that Anthony Pettis didn't underperform and instead he has the same strengths and weaknesses he has always had.

same. he'd probably lose to clay guida again.

Lid posted:

Under the radar, and behind Joanna in truth, this has been an amazing year for Thomas Almeida.

he got the poo poo beaten out of him by brad pickett but showed a determination and grit i didn't think he had. i wouldn't call it an amazing year though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

david carmichael posted:

I doubt it was the altitude that made Cain Velasquez fight like he always has. Also in the week to the fight there were a bunch of videos of werdum drinking, laughing and slapping

I suspect it was the altitude and ring rust that made him gas out before the end of the first round. Again, Werdum put on a hell of a performance, and Cain Velasquez put on a terrible performance.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nominating for both Worst Career Move and Comedy in MMA: Rousimar Palhares and his agent trying to justify his refusal to release submission holds, including asking John McCarthy to testify only to have John go into detail about why Palhares is a menace.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Cain losing was a combination of ring rust, the altitude, and getting beat up by a great fighter

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Dangersim posted:

Cain losing was a combination of ring rust, the altitude, and getting beat up by a great fighter

So Cain losing was largely due to losing the fight is what I'm reading here.

Edit : I'm sorry Dangerism. You're my Andy Silva man and that whole weeks in a hospital bed thing has apparently made my posting a little salty. I'm a salt man.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 30, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Worst Career Move - Angela Magana refusing to tap to a twister in practice

Comedy in MMA - Angela Magana, just in general.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
KO of the Year:

Alex Oliveira vs. Piotr Hallmann, Punch, UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3
Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak, Punch, UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

KO of the Year:

Alex Oliveira vs. Piotr Hallmann, Punch, UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3
Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak, Punch, UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3

does anyone have any gifs of these? that oliveira one was incredible.

further, round of the year: jimmie rivera vs. pedro munoz, round 2 ufc fight night 77. i can't believe there was no fight of the night awarded when this fight happened.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

The way almeida killed him and then turned around with his tounge sticking out was so loving cool

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Struve vs rosholt ufc 193 wfoty

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Holm def. Rousey (KO) for upset of the year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Upset of the Year

and

Breakout Fighter of the Year

have just been settled

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lid posted:

Upset of the Year

and

have just been settled

Also, KO of the year.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Also, KO of the year.

That Moontasri KO really was something special though. But holy poo poo yes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

That Moontasri KO really was something special though. But holy poo poo yes.

Oh and Kyle Noke's body shot KO. Lots of cool finishes on this card.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

have just been settled

Is there any doubt

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Oh and Kyle Noke's body shot KO. Lots of cool finishes on this card.

The sound of the impact hurt my ribs, but the piercing wail was worse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Best Twitter Account: @SuperCalo

Submitted as evidence

https://twitter.com/superCalo/status/666693556287881216

quote:

superCalo
‏@superCalo

superCalo Retweeted davin

He no longer holds title belt, so is a former champion not a current champion QED

quote:

davin
‏@davinalexmma

@superCalo .@FrontRowBrian @travisbrowneMMA this idiot calo IS delusional.1st. Travis was never a "former champ" 2nd he's STILL n da UFC

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

KO: Dominique Steel vs (the other) Dong Hyun Kim UFC FN: Henderson vs Masvidal

https://streamable.com/7cps

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

KO: Dominique Steel vs (the other) Dong Hyun Kim UFC FN: Henderson vs Masvidal

https://streamable.com/7cps

i can't thnk of anything offhadn that made me this seriously uncomfortable so i'm going to second it off the cuff

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
illegal cheating headbutt just like rampage against arona

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

illegal cheating headbutt just like rampage against arona

Did Kim have Dengue fever? This is important.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I nominate Tim Means vs John Howard UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs Van Zant for KO of the year.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

From 2016 on, can we do some sort of award for best/"worst" lopsided beatdown of the year? It doesn't quite feel right to nominate Namajunas/VanZant for fight of the year, but I feel it deserves some special degree of recognition.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

From 2016 on, can we do some sort of award for best/"worst" lopsided beatdown of the year? It doesn't quite feel right to nominate Namajunas/VanZant for fight of the year, but I feel it deserves some special degree of recognition.

Yeah I think a lot of places do beatdown of the year award

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Actually I guess that's really technically covered by Performance of the Year, which I always forget about when considering nominations. So let's change that! I nominate Rose Namajunas for Performance of the year over Paige VanZant at UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs. VanZant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Fentry posted:

UFC books both Jon Jones and Anderson Silva in main events after failing pre-fight drug tests, with both results being withheld until after their fights for reasons no one can seem to explain

I'd also like to append this and add Vitor Belfort, UFC really is doing a lot of scummy/sleazy fight promoting this year.

• Locked thread