Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Whenever people point to certain year regarding the best picture award and say 'this film should have won instead of that film', usually the two most common years I see are 1976, where Rocky won over Taxi Driver, and 1989, where Driving Miss Daisy won over Do the Right Thing.

Does anybody have any opinions like this on any other years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Wall-E should have been nominated and it should have loving won Best Picture.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

Whenever people point to certain year regarding the best picture award and say 'this film should have won instead of that film', usually the two most common years I see are 1976, where Rocky won over Taxi Driver, and 1989, where Driving Miss Daisy won over Do the Right Thing.

The year Crash won (2005?), there were a lot of other good, and nominated films. People get pretty angry over that one.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ego-bot posted:

Another commonly cited one is when How GreenWas My Valley won over Citizen Kane, but I haven't seen the former and so I can't comment.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ego-bot posted:

1976, where Rocky won over Taxi Driver

and Network and All the President's Men, but whatever, Rocky's great. That was a hell of a year.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How Green Was My Valley is actually pretty awesome (Love the miniarc that essentially has a Fight Club at an elementary school. It brings back fond memories for me of my own youth), but is unfairly remembered as poo poo because it just isn't as good as Citizen Kane which is legitimately one of the single greatest films ever made.

Rocky probably should have lost to Taxi Driver (Haven't seen Network but I don't really care for All the President's Men), but Rocky is so much fun that I kind of forgive the Academy for that one.

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Here's some Spike Lee flavor regarding the latter snub and Selma's snub:

“ ‘But that doesn’t diminish the film. Nobody’s talking about motherfuckin’ Driving Miss Daisy. That film is not being taught in film schools all across the world like Do the Right Thing is. Nobody’s discussing Driving Miss Motherfuckin’ Daisy. So if I saw Ava today I’d say, ‘You know what? gently caress ’em. You made a very good film, so feel good about that and start working on the next one.’ ”

From http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...&medium=twitter by way of the Dissolve.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ego-bot posted:

A common one is Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan (or The Thin Red Line).

and I guess Chicago over Gangs of New York too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Notsosubtle posted:

Here's some Spike Lee flavor regarding the latter snub and Selma's snub:

“ ‘But that doesn’t diminish the film. Nobody’s talking about motherfuckin’ Driving Miss Daisy. That film is not being taught in film schools all across the world like Do the Right Thing is. Nobody’s discussing Driving Miss Motherfuckin’ Daisy. So if I saw Ava today I’d say, ‘You know what? gently caress ’em. You made a very good film, so feel good about that and start working on the next one.’ ”

From http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...&medium=twitter by way of the Dissolve.

It's a goddamn shame that Spike Lee hasn't won a single Oscar.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rocky loving deserved that Oscar tho, its a pretty drat good movie. Not saying the others are poo poo but it was a crazy year of good stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

It's a goddamn shame that Spike Lee hasn't won a single Oscar.

His time was Malcolm X or Do The Right Thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Judakel posted:

Don't expect to get more than a token nomination when you do not send out screeners.

Screeners were sent out for Selma.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

computer parts posted:

A common one is Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan (or The Thin Red Line).

These definitely.

And the Crash year...holy gently caress. Every other movie deserved it more. And Children of Men wasn't even on the list.

I'm still amazed Forrest Gump edged out both Pulp Fiction (expected) AND The Shawshank Redemption.

VVVVVVVVVVVV oh yeah it was 79th, my bad. I still don't think it was even represented beyond a nod for Adapted Screenplay. Babel and Pan's Labyrinth got some attention that year. Those three directors were a pretty big force in 2006.

Crash was, is, and will continue to be poo poo. But isn't Best Picture a producers award? Basically an acknowledgement that a particular film was a good business decision? Because Crash made more money than all the other nominees, I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 18, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

second-hand smegma posted:

These definitely.

And the Crash year...holy gently caress. Every other movie deserved it more. And Children of Men wasn't even on the list.

I'm still amazed Forrest Gump edged out both Pulp Fiction (expected) AND The Shawshank Redemption.

I think Children of Men was eligible the year The Departed won. But yeah Crash is poo poo.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

These definitely.

VVVVVVVVVVVV oh yeah it was 79th, my bad. I still don't think it was even represented beyond a nod for Adapted Screenplay. Babel and Pan's Labyrinth got some attention that year. Those three directors were a pretty big force in 2006.

I can deal with Forest Gump because there really isn't anything like it. Children of Men deserves a lot more than it got though. At least Cuaron got some redemption with Gravity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

Meh, Gangs of New York is really only memorable for Daniel Day-Lewis performance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Meh, Gangs of New York is really only memorable for Daniel Day-Lewis performance.

I would say every other actor in the film that isn't DiCaprio or Diaz was excellent: Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Lewis, etc. The music, sets and costumes are also all stunning.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would say every other actor in the film that isn't DiCaprio or Diaz was excellent: Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Lewis, etc.

The problem is that Scorsese insists on making DiCaprio or Diaz the main focus of the movie. If the movie was about Bill the Butcher instead of those two the movie would've been goddamn amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I definitely agree. But I think it's doing that movie a tremendous disservice to say DDL is the ONLY memorable thing about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I definitely agree. But I think it's doing that movie a tremendous disservice to say DDL is the ONLY memorable thing about it.

True, it also have an elephant suddenly appearing because why the gently caress not.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

Alhazred posted:

The problem is that Scorsese insists on making DiCaprio or Diaz the main focus of the movie. If the movie was about Bill the Butcher instead of those two the movie would've been goddamn amazing.

Just caught some of Gangs of New York on TV earlier and this is the drat truth. The parts with Leo and Diaz suck so bad in the film. I cannot understand Marty's thought process on a lot of this movie. I wanted the opening gang fight to be the movie, not what we got! Gangs of New York is however one of the best productions with amazing sets and photography.

I got so angry when Avatar won years ago but since then I've not much cared about the Oscars. I much rather care about the thoughts of the esteemed internet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Um, because the circus was on fire! That's straight out of the book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Howling Man posted:

I got so angry when Avatar won years ago but since then I've not much cared about the Oscars. I much rather care about the thoughts of the esteemed internet.

Avatar didn't, that was Hurt Locker year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I would say every other actor in the film that isn't DiCaprio or Diaz was excellent: Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Lewis, etc. The music, sets and costumes are also all stunning.

Honestly, those two were the weakest links...but their performances are fine in the grand scheme, and I can't think of many roles for either of their careers that have aged better. If anything, they help to highlight DDL and make him stand out.

The only downright lovely thing about that movie is the slamfest ending with U2 guitars and a CG fade-in of the World Trade Center.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Let's just give everything to Imitation Game and Theory of Everything. gently caress it, right? Let the Oscars eat themselves.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honestly, those two were the weakest links...but their performances are fine in the grand scheme, and I can't think of many roles for either of their careers that have aged better. If anything, they help to highlight DDL and make him stand out.

The only downright lovely thing about that movie is the slamfest ending with U2 guitars and a CG fade-in of the World Trade Center.

Whenever I rewatch the movie I just skip that part.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pirate Jet posted:

Let's just give everything to Imitation Game and Theory of Everything. gently caress it, right? Let the Oscars eat themselves.

Are either of those actually good (even for Oscar Bait) or are they just relying on the usual stuff to get nominations everywhere?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

His time was Malcolm X or Do The Right Thing.

it was cool when they finally gave Denzel Washington his Malcom X Oscar for Training Day

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Avatar didn't, that was Hurt Locker year.

Should have been District 9. :colbert:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Ego-bot posted:

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas, Ordinary People over Raging Bull.

loving Oliver! over a stacked 1968 field that included 2001 is probably the worst.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

Star wars over Annie loving hall

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

Whenever people point to certain year regarding the best picture award and say 'this film should have won instead of that film', usuall1976y the two most common years I see are 1976, where Rocky won over Taxi Driver, and 1989, where Driving Miss Daisy won over Do the Right Thing.

1976 was one of the greatest years in movie history.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Another commonly cited one is when How GreenWas My Valley won over Citizen Kane, but I haven't seen the former and so I can't comment.

For what it's worth, Orson Welles was a huge fan of John Ford. I just finished My Lunches with Orson (book of recorded conversations between Welles and Henry Jaglom) and he gushes over How Green Was My Valley as one of Ford's best films.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Gangs of New York is dope. The buildup to that opening fight owns hard.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

Are either of those actually good (even for Oscar Bait) or are they just relying on the usual stuff to get nominations everywhere?

Imitation Game is enjoyable for what it is (and probably more enjoyable the less you know/care about Turing). It tells its story pretty well, nothing too wonderful, but not all that bad. Keira Knightley really is fantastic and deserves her nomination; I don't quite get why Cumberbatch gets one because the character is all over the place and he only occasionally makes it work. I haven't seen Theory of Everything.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

computer parts posted:

Haven't seen the Hawkins film yet, but Imitation Game was completely mid of the road Oscar bait. Thankully Boyhood is going to wn so it's no biggie

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm really really really really surprised Nightcrawler got snubbed so bad. After leaving the theater I thought Gyllenhaal was a shoe-in. One more reason to hate Benetit FartyBatch

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kangra posted:

Imitation Game is enjoyable for what it is (and probably more enjoyable the less you know/care about Turing). It tells its story pretty well, nothing too wonderful, but not all that bad. Keira Knightley really is fantastic and deserves her nomination; I don't quite get why Cumberbatch gets one because the character is all over the place and he only occasionally makes it work. I haven't seen Theory of Everything.

I've seen Theory of Everything; it's... OK for what it is, which is a relationship movie about Hawking and his relationship to his ex-wife. I don't really remember anything about Felicity Jones' performance that was particularly spectacular, but Eddie Redmayne was really good at portraying somebody with worsening ALS, so I guess I wouldn't mind if he won Best Actor. (I'm still pulling for Keaton out of that crowd though. Gyllenhaal was robbed too.)

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

AGirlWonder posted:

The year Crash won (2005?), there were a lot of other good, and nominated films. People get pretty angry over that one.

I remember that was the first year I watched all the nominees before the ceremony. The others were Munich, Brokeback Mountain, Capote, and Good Night and Good Luck. Any of those would've been more worthy, but Munich probably the most so. Shame that film has kind of been forgotten over time because it's incredible. Easily in Spielberg's "A" canon in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Rocky isn't better than Taxi Driver, but that's because Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films ever made. But by no means is it winning an upset in the sense of crap like Driving Miss Daisy or Crash winning. Rocky is a fantastic film in its own right that's often misremembered as being more jubilant and inspirational that it actually is. Rocky is a mean, brutal film about poverty and depression and trying to do something worthwhile with a life you feel is worthless. That Rocky makes him losing a triumphant moment is a testament to how expertly crafted it is.

Not better than Taxi Driver, but not it's not a case of fluff winning over serious art or anything.

• Locked thread