Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Acht posted:

Hm. I'm surprised at the reactions about The Imitation Game. I really liked this one and would happily see Cumberbatch win the Oscar. Calling it bait feels pretty unfair to me.

It is 100% Oscar bait, because the movie does not give a gently caress about Alan Turing.

I feel like when people talk about a film being historically inaccurate it feels pretty abstract, so maybe here it would be good to be brutally honest.

1) Alan Turing did not decide who lived and who died and which boats got sunk in WWII. No one hid the cracking of ENIGMA from WINSTON loving CHURCHILL.

2) Alan Turing was not an Aspergers case, or if he was it was pretty far from the Big Bang Theory caricature described in the film. He was a Cambridge snob and he was a little weird but he got along fine with everyone he ever worked with, aside from sometimes making passes at men he was interested in. He was not bullied in any substantial way, at least not past age 10 or so.

3) Alan Turing was incredibly open about his sexuality, because he was used to living in the Cambridge bubble. Everyone who met him knew it, especially Joan who he was not in love with. He proposed to her for social reasons and then cut it off because he decided he couldn't put her through a loveless marriage. He had many boyfriends during his life, starting with his crush on Christopher at age 16, instead of 10 or whatever age they were going for in this movie. His openness was his downfall as when he was robbed he more or less gave up his sexuality immediately. NO ONE EVER ACCUSED ALAN TURING OF BEING A TRAITOR.

I don't know what kind of inaccuracies exist in Selma, but there is no way they come close to that. Unfortunately, unlike previous US presidents, mathematicians do not have PR teams.

And if you just plaster a generic Hollywood spy-thriller on the story of a real person who had struggles with being gay and don't even try to adapt that story then it's the worst, most cynical kind of Oscar bait.

Now if you talk about Cumberbatch, well he was clearly doing the best he could with that putrid screenplay. But then Best Actor also involves picking good scripts, doesn't it?

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Echo Chamber posted:

I agree that Argo was cynical Oscar bait that was a spy thriller that literally made Hollywood the hero of the story. It had little to do with being gay, but it had plenty of whitewashing.

Edit: Sorry. I said "Don't get me started." My bad.

Argo is a slightly different case. No one died over the events of Argo. Turing was chemically castrated, directly leading to his death. I consider getting the details of a rescue operation wrong to be a lesser offense than making GBS threads on the grave of a man without whom the allies might not have won WWII.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I liked what she had to say about JK Simmons. It gives sort of a feel for Simmons like he's Bronn from Game of Thrones. "If you want me to keep making your commercials, you'll have to pay me double. Oscar winners are worth double."

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

morestuff posted:

I dislike formula biopics as much as anyone but this feels cartoonishly cynical

Cynical but true. Everything about that sequence was artistic license.

The machines they used at Bletchley to crack ENIGMA were not destroyed, nor were the associated files. You can go to Bletchley today and see them in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFol3gH1pg

Turing machines are logical gadgets which by definition cannot exist in the real world. The only sense in which computers are Turing machines is that they have memory.

The Imitation Game is not a movie about Turing. It is a movie made to win an Oscar by appealing to people who feel strongly about bullying and gay rights issues.

• Locked thread