Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great Moments in Oscar History: Alfred Hitchcock's honorary award
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DitE_e3VDMk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Another commonly cited one is when How GreenWas My Valley won over Citizen Kane, but I haven't seen the former and so I can't comment.

For what it's worth, Orson Welles was a huge fan of John Ford. I just finished My Lunches with Orson (book of recorded conversations between Welles and Henry Jaglom) and he gushes over How Green Was My Valley as one of Ford's best films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Since when is Driving Miss Daisy crap? It goes in the same group of excellent "drat good acting" films like Marty, All About Eve, and Kramer vs. Kramer. At least it wasn't Dead Poet's Society that year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To add back some positivity, they do manage to get it right a lot of years. Not always or frequently, but sometimes.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather (and Part II), and Amadeus totally deserve their awards.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I go back and forth on whether I think The Godfather: Part II deserved it over Chinatown, but both films are masterpieces anyways so whatever.

There are far worse things than Chinatown losing to The Godfather, Part II. Like Good Night, and Good Luck. losing to Crash.

second-hand smegma posted:

Amadeus is so so great.

Amadeus is one of those movies that you can't help but marvel at the perfection of what's on screen. I like the touch of not having any forced accents because it makes you forget you're watching a period film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If I may, can I backpedal a bit to get clarification on something mentioned earlier in the thread?

How did Fincher signing on to do Benjamin Button help him ensure that Zodiac got made when Zodiac came out in early 2007 and Ben Button came out at the end of 2008? Did Fincher sign on to Benjamin Button a few years beforehand and receive a large advance from the studio which he used to finance Zodiac or something?

Also, man, Amadeus was glorious. I've only seen it once (in chunks over the course of a few days in fine arts class in high school), but it was astounding. I was completely enthralled by every scene of that movie. I really should rewatch it someday, as it's been years since the last time I saw it.

If I recall, Benjamin Button was a movie the studio (Warner or Paramount) had been trying to make for decades. Fincher basically agreed to direct as long as he got to make Zodiac, which was the project he actually cared about. Everything points to Button being nothing more than an expensive camera test reel. Which it excels at. I read that Fincher wouldn't even ask questions about the film in press interviews. The funny thing is that Button turned out to be a well made bit of mediocrity, while Zodiac is one of the best mainstream films of the last decade.

Not the first time. Robert Wise directed The Sound of Music on the condition Fox let him make The Sand Pebbles next.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd like to give a shout out for one of my favorite movies that gets dumped on constantly.

Around the World in Eighty Days.

It's not perfect, it's a little clunky, but drat is it a fun movie. It's the movie that popularized the cast of cameos and was the second (and last) film to be shot in 30fps Todd-AO. The cast includes David Niven as Phileas Fogg and Cantinflas as Passparteau. Also has Robert Newton as Inspector Fix and it's one of Shirley MacLaine's first movies (as Princess Aouda). That's enough to make a film worth seeing. John Carradine and Buster Keaton get considerable screen time during the American West segment. Cameos include Charles Boyer, Peter Lorre, Ronald Colman, Joe E. Brown, Frank Sinatra, Marlene Dietrich, George Raft, Glynis Johns, Noel Coward, John Gielgud... dozens more. It's also a very pretty film. Lots of exotic locales in 70mm (plus exotic LA soundstages and backlots...) with an excellent score by Victor Young.

Essential? Maybe not, but it was a gigantic hit in the day, but not a bad way to spend three hours. There's an intermission, so it's not even a chore if you need a breather.

I'm more partial to the film since it was one of my favorites as a child. I sent a letter to TCM asking them to show it in widescreen (it was pan & scan on tape, laserdisc, and TV), which they obliged and even read my letter on the air.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timett posted:

I was looking at some lists of the last several Oscars...

Is The Artist the most forgettable oscar winner at least in recent memory. It looks like a bad year in general based on the nominations (I would have probably gone Descendants) but don't think I've heard that film referenced once since 2011.

What's forgettable about a relatively low budget black and white (mostly) silent film winning Best Picture in the 21st century?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Namirsolo posted:

Right, the Oscars are supposed to be about the quality of the film or performance or whatever, but apparently they are more about who is popular, who is nice, or which movie made the most money.

The very first Oscars had it right with having separate awards for "best artistic and unique production" and "best production". Although, both Sunrise and Wings are excellent films. One thing I find interesting is how Wings was your "standard" Hollywood big film of the time, yet it's just as well-made as Sunrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Best Picture winner A Beautiful Mind (2001) was about as factually true to the life of John Nash as Amadeus was to the life of Mozart.

The quality of A Beautiful Mind is summed up by the DVD's supplemental disc being almost entirely award ceremony footage. :gizz:

• Locked thread