Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How Green Was My Valley is actually pretty awesome (Love the miniarc that essentially has a Fight Club at an elementary school. It brings back fond memories for me of my own youth), but is unfairly remembered as poo poo because it just isn't as good as Citizen Kane which is legitimately one of the single greatest films ever made.

Rocky probably should have lost to Taxi Driver (Haven't seen Network but I don't really care for All the President's Men), but Rocky is so much fun that I kind of forgive the Academy for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Rocky isn't better than Taxi Driver, but that's because Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films ever made. But by no means is it winning an upset in the sense of crap like Driving Miss Daisy or Crash winning. Rocky is a fantastic film in its own right that's often misremembered as being more jubilant and inspirational that it actually is. Rocky is a mean, brutal film about poverty and depression and trying to do something worthwhile with a life you feel is worthless. That Rocky makes him losing a triumphant moment is a testament to how expertly crafted it is.

Not better than Taxi Driver, but not it's not a case of fluff winning over serious art or anything.

One thing that really got to me the last time I watched Rocky was how Rocky loses to Apollo Creed when Apollo wasn't even at the top of his game. The guy had not even been taking the match seriously before it actually started, and Rocky still lost despite putting huge amounts of effort in. He was only able to go the distance when Apollo was slacking. The movie really does seem to be about accepting inevitable defeat, which is a far cry from the message of all the sequels except maybe Rocky V and Rocky Balboa.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah. Apollo is pretty great example of a classic film "antagonist" that you can't really call a villain either, because he's not one. The worst thing you can say about him is that he's cocky I guess.

God drat, Carl Weathers is great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As far as 2003 goes, I would have been ecstatic to see Lost in Translation winning over RotK. That movie is pretty great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

To add back some positivity, they do manage to get it right a lot of years. Not always or frequently, but sometimes.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather (and Part II), and Amadeus totally deserve their awards.

I go back and forth on whether I think The Godfather: Part II deserved it over Chinatown, but both films are masterpieces anyways so whatever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Shakespeare in Love isn't that bad! I mean, it's obviously not Best Picture material, but it's a pretty drat good romcom.

I don't know, I liked it more than Saving Private Ryan. The Thin Red Line was far better than both though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only upset to me was The Imitation Game winning Best Adapted Screenplay. Other than that I found each win more or less agreeable, based on what I had seen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blah, The Theory of Everything has a stronger central performance behind it than The Imitation Game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Not that Schindler's List is by any means a slouch, but Jurassic Park really is the better Spielberg film of 1993.

I've been saying this for years. Probably the single best modern blockbuster film (I.e. released in the last 30 years or so) as well.

• Locked thread