Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

So what’s Professor Layton?

The Professor Layton series consists of six puzzle adventure games that involve Professor Layton and his self proclaimed “apprentice” Luke travelling to some strange place and solving a mystery. In doing so, they encounter any number of puzzles which have to be solved to progress. Some are directly related to the plot, whereas others are a bit… random. The Professor Layton games have been well received because of the interesting story and fun puzzles.

Tell me a bit more about this game.

Professor Layton and Pandora’s Box (US: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box) was released in 2007 in Japan and was localized for other regions in 2009. It’s the second game in the series and features quite a few improvements over the first game, Professor Layton and the Curious Village (in particular the Memo function, which I’ll explain when we get to the puzzles proper). The game features over 150 unique puzzles to wrap your head around, and I do mean your head. When possible, I’ll post the puzzles and let you try to solve them in between updates.

Also, because this is the second game in the series, the twists of the first game will be casually spoiled, so if you haven’t either played Curious Village or read this fine LP I highly recommend you do so before reading further.

I have my own puzzle I'd like to share! Can I post it in the thread?

Please do! Just remember that Layton games have a lot of puzzles in them, and there's a decent chance that if you didn't make it up yourself (and even if you did), it'll be in one of the Layton games in some form. As such, you're free to share your puzzles (and I encourage it, because then I get more puzzles to solve), but if you do, please put the answer in spoiler tags.

Oh, and number it based in the format TR##, where ## is the number of the puzzle. So if the most recent TR was TR11, yours is TR12.

Table of Contents:
Prologue
Puzzling Times on the Molentary Express
A Missing Boy
The Search for Tom
Tom's True Identity
DLC Set 1
Puzzling Times in Dropstone
Puzzling Times in Dropstone 2
Mr Anderson
Cow Puns
DLC Set 2
Next Stop, the Plot
Folsense
DLC Set 3

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Last Updated: Puzzling Times in Dropstone

Current Mysteries

Rick the Hamster’s Status

Someone asked for a better explanation of how Rick moves, so here's a wall of text.

It's worth noting that Rick is not a ghost and cannot move through items. If Rick has a house directly in front of him and an apple is behind it, Rick will go to the house (because to get to the apple, Rick would need to go around the house, and that would require four steps).

General Movement Rules

1. If there are special circumstances that force Rick to move to a certain item, he does so. We'll deal with these later. If not, go to step two.
2. If there are any apples that Rick can move to in three moves, Rick moves to it. If there are multiple apples within three squares, go to the multiple items section. If not, go to step three.
3. If there are any non-apple items that Rick is interested in (we'll find items that Rick isn't interested in later) that Rick can move to in three moves, Rick moves to it. If there are multiple, go to the multiple items section. If there are no items that Rick is interested in within three squares of Rick, the workout ends.

Multiple Items Rules

1. Rick will prioritize the closest item. If there are multiple items at the same distance from Rick, go to step two.
Examples:
a. If Rick has a tree stump two spaces in front of him and a house one space behind him, Rick will go for the house.
b. If Rick has a flower one space to his left and one space up from him and a tree stump two spaces to his left and one space down from him, Rick will go for the flower.

2. Rick will prioritize the item that requires the least number of turns (counting turning around as two turns). If the items require identical numbers of turns, go to step three.
Examples:
a. If Rick has an apple one square in front of him and an apple one square to the side of him, he will go for the apple directly in front of him.
b. If Rick has a tree stump two squares in front of him and one to the left and a flower three spaces behind him, he will go for the tree stump.

3. Rick will prioritize the item that requires him to make the latest possible turns. If the items would require turning at identical times, go to step four.
Examples:
a. If Rick (facing downwards) has a house two squares right and one square down from his position and a flower one square right and two squares down from his position, Rick would go for the flower.
b. If Rick (facing rightwards) had items positioned identically to the previous example, Rick would go for the house.

4. Rick will turn anticlockwise, provided 1-3 are met. This only happens when Rick is facing a direction and has two items in front of him, one to his left and another to his right.
Here, have a cheat sheet.
Starting Direction --> Direction Rick Turns To
Right --> Up
Up --> Left
Left --> Down
Down --> Right
Examples:
a. If Rick (facing downwards) has a flower one square down and one square left of his position and a tree stump one square down and one square right of his position, Rick will go for the tree stump.
b. If Rick (facing rightwards) has a house one square right and one square up from his position and a flower one square right and one square down from his position, Rick will go for the house.

Camera Status
9/10 Parts

Tea Status
We have 3/8 ingredients.
1. Oasis Leaf(OL): Refreshing - Refreshing and purifying.
2. Brisk Berry(BB): Sweet - Revitalising and restoring.
3. Citronia Seed(CS): Sour - Great for the skin.
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???

We have created 2/12 brews.
01. Citrus Classic (Made from OL, BB, and CS) - A classic tea with the added twist of Citronia Seed. This special ingredient gives an unique flavour.
02. Oasis Berry (Made from OL, BB, and BB) - A tea loved by women and children. Its refreshing sweetness is the secret of its popularity.
03. ???
04. ???
05. ???
06. ???
07. ???
08. ???
09. ???
10. ???
11. ???
12. ???

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 6, 2015

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Prologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-HBKp71ig

Music: Suspense

Music: London

: What’s that, Professor?

: Is everything all right?!

: Of course, it is more commonly known as “Pandora’s Box”, in reference to the famous myth.

: This nickname would appear to be well deserved, since it is rumoured to kill whoever opens it. I’m dubious of this reputation, of course, but when my interest is piqued I simply must investigate. That’s why I’m pleased as punch to tell you that the elusive item is finally in my possession. What’s more, I believe I’m on the cusp of unravelling a great mystery tied to this box. For the moment, let’s just say I have a theory, though I haven’t been able to prove it yet.

: Initially, it was my intention to finish my research before daring to open its lid. But I must confess that my curiosity is simply overpowering. In the unlikely event that anything should happen to me, please finish the work I’ve started here.
Your friend,
Andrew Schrader

Personally, if a box killed my mentor, I’d probably stay as far away from it as possible.

: I just can’t shake the feeling that something awful has happened…

: Well, your intuition’s usually spot-on! I say we head out right away!

This is our first of several mysteries throughout the game, with what it says when you tap it.

: They’re in one of the drawers in that desk.

: Will do, Professor! Erm…

: If there’s something you wish to interact with, Luke, you need only reach out and touch it.

I know this is a tutorial, but this back and forth makes it seem like Luke has forgotten how to interact with things.

Just tap on this desk drawer here and…

: Oh, here they are, Professor!

: Many thanks, Luke. Now, let’s get moving!

Here, Layton would remind Luke how to move. Touch the shoe in the lower-right, touch an arrow direction, and you move in that direction.

: I couldn’t agree more, Professor. Now, shall we be off?

Not much of interest here, but as soon as we try to leave…

: During one of his visits some time ago, he was kind enough to leave me a map to his home. The map itself, however, is a rather unusual piece of cartography. Look here, Luke.

Huh.

: Professor, do you mind if I take a crack at it? I just know I can solve this one!

Music: Puzzle

Our first puzzle of many! You can see that this puzzle is worth 10 Picarats, which is a sort of scoring mechanism needed to unlock stuff later in the game. If you make a mistake on a puzzle, the amount of Picarats you earn will go down. The number of Picarats a puzzle is worth is also roughly indicative of its difficulty.

One thing that Pandora's Box does better than Curious Village is that it takes a bit more advantage of the fact that you’re using a DS and not just a book of puzzles. It includes that handy new Memo feature, which allows you to draw on the puzzle as well as the returning Hints feature, which will give you hints on the puzzle you’re working on.

For your convenience, the hints will be provided in spoiler tags below the puzzle.

Including the one piece that’s in the middle of the map from the start, you have six pieces to move around. ...And only five places to place them in. That means one of those pieces won’t be used in the solution.
Take a close look at each individual piece of the map, as well as the set portion of the map. As long as you make the roads on each piece fit cleanly into the larger framework, you’ll find the answer sooner or later.
You may have already noticed, but the piece positioned in the center of the map at the start of the puzzle isn’t used in the solution.

That looks about right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wwIGG6N6nk

: But which flat is his?

: That, I’m afraid, I don’t know. But come to think of it, the letter I received did mention something about this place…

The sort of puzzles that you can do with just the screenshot are still quite common though. So that you can solve these puzzles, I'll repost all the puzzles that you can solve with the relevant hints at the end of the post. The solutions to those puzzles will be shared in the next update.

Since the doctor mentions hearing music from a nearby flat, you can rule out the window the music is coming from.
As the doctor makes special mention of being able to see the sunrise, it’s likely his apartment is one of the ones higher up in the picture.
The doctor talks about seeing the flag outside his window move in the breeze from his seat inside. There appears to be only one flat in the bunch where you could accomplish this feat.

: Now follow me, Luke. We’re going up.

Layton would take a while at this point to explain to us the trunk in the upper-right corner. It's just a menu, containing Layton's Journal (a summary of most major events in the game), Mysteries (which just shows the current list of mysteries), Puzzle Index (a list of all previously solved puzzles with the option to replay them), and Save. There are three more options in the trunk, though we don't know what those are yet.

So instead of going up, let’s talk to this random bystander.

: All right. See that postbox over there? Try touching it with your stylus for me, will you?

All right?

: Ever been stuck trying to solve a puzzle? It’s times like those when I bet you’d fancy a hint, yeah? Well, when that happens, you can trade in those shiny hint coins for hints. They’re scattered all over the place, which means you should always be on the lookout for ‘em. Use your stylus to touch anything that looks suspicious, OK? Good, well, that’s all I had to say. You take it easy, mister.

Damon here just did most of my job in explaining hint coins. It's worth noting that if you're playing along, there are a finite number of hint coins in the game.

Anyways, to Schrader's flat!

Examining the door to Schrader’s flat gives us this exchange.

*knocking*

: Dr Schrader? Are you home? It’s Hershel Layton. I came as soon as I read your letter.

*louder knocking*

: Hello? Are you there? Doctor?

: I don’t hear anyone in there, Professor. What if he’s…

: This is no time for idle speculation, Luke. We must get this door open first. Hmm, it seems to be locked…

: So without a key, there’s no way to get in!

: Ah, of course! How could I have forgotten? These keys were enclosed in the envelope, along with the doctor’s letter to me.

Why would Schrader send a ring of keys? Is his flat triple locked or something?

: Huh? That’s strange. It doesn’t seem like any of these keys work on the lock.

Oh. I guess Schrader sent the wrong set of keys. I suppose that makes sense, he is getting on in his years...

: Luke, don’t you see? The doctor has set us yet another puzzle to solve.

Or that.

In the US version this puzzle is called "The Right Key." I have no idea why this name was changed.

As you can probably tell by looking at this puzzle, it’s another one that takes advantage of the DS hardware. You drag the key up to the lock, and it tries to unlock the door. Dragging any of the three keys to the lock currently does nothing, as you can see above.

At a glance, the ends of the keys seem too intricate when compared with the simple shape of the keyhole. Concentrate on finding a key with a shape that matches the structure of the lock.
Who’s to say one end of a key is any better than the other?
Turn each key around and try inserting the part you’d normally call the grip.

I’ll admit that this was actually the first Layton game I played, and I got stuck on this puzzle for a good seven minutes or so. The game doesn’t tell you you can rotate objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSc8nij2LY

: This is terrible, Professor. Do you suppose the Elysian Box did this to Dr Schrader when he opened it?

: I honestly don’t know Luke. But that can wait. Right now we need to notify the police!

: Of course, Professor!

: Look at this, Professor. There’s no destination written on the ticket. I’ve never seen a ticket that didn’t say where it was taking you. How strange!

: Yes, very strange indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8NGIcKuKo

: I’m so sorry, sir! I didn’t mean it! I, um, was sure we had another imposter on our hands.

: What in the world is this child talking about?! I swear, young ones these days have no manners!

Luke is referring to the events of Curious Village. Don Paolo, Layton’s self proclaimed rival, disguised himself as Chelmey.

: I’m a professor of archaeology at Gressenheller University.

: And I’m his apprentice, Luke!

: Not at all, sir. In truth, he’s-

: Professor Layton’s apprentice, like I said!

: Hmm.

: Well, it’s really none of my concern. I have a crime scene that needs my attention. Clear a path, will you?

: But of course.

: You got it, Professor.

: A murder? Or was the crime self-inflicted?

: Inspector, I should tell you that the door was locked before Luke and I came in.

: I see. So this door, the sole entry point in and out of this eighth-floor flat, was shut tight. Then the doctor was holed up in here, completely apart from the outside world, yes?

: What?! How did you come to that conclusion, sir?

: Use your noodle, laddie. What other explanation could there be?

: Still, I’d hesitate to say that this room was completely closed off from the outside.

: Is that so? Please elaborate.

: Isn’t it obvious? There’s something quite unusual about our crime scene that’s been overlooked.

: Eh?

: It’s as plain as the nose on your face, Inspector.

: I tell you, nowadays it seems like everybody and their mum thinks they can do my job. Now, as I was saying, the cause of death was heart failure, plain and simple. And there’s what caused it.

Okay, yeah, I can see your reasoning there Chelmey. That thing does look scary.

: I reckon that ugly mug would give anyone nightmares. Here’s what probably happened. The old fellow turned on a light, took one look at the beast, and then keeled right over.

: People have a way of becoming forgetful with age. Not that you’d understand, boy.

: Well, you’re right about that. I don’t understand it at all…

: The scenario you paint certainly isn’t out of the realm of possibility. But considering the lights were off when we entered the room, I don’t think we’ve found our answer yet.

: Oh, really.

: Furthermore, look around you, Inspector. Doesn’t anything strike you as odd?

: What do you mean, Professor?

: Study your surroundings, Luke. I’m sure you can see it too.

Normally, you’d use the arrows to flip through the four sides of the flat. I’ve instead provided all four sides below.

So what is off about Schrader’s apartment, goons?

Take a good look at all the views. You’re looking for something unusual. There are lots of odd objects in the room, but while many may be strange, they aren’t the brand of unusual you’re searching for.
You won’t find the answer in the areas that Professor Layton and Inspector Chelmey are examining.
The object in question is often found in pairs.

Puzzles in this Update:

Since the doctor mentions hearing music from a nearby flat, you can rule out the window the music is coming from.
As the doctor makes special mention of being able to see the sunrise, it’s likely his apartment is one of the ones higher up in the picture.
The doctor talks about seeing the flag outside his window move in the breeze from his seat inside. There appears to be only one flat in the bunch where you could accomplish this feat.

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 16, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've heard of the series but I haven't played - or seen - any of these games before.

I like the British setting. A more decent version of Sherlock Holmes, paired up with Oliver Twist, huh?

As for puzzle 4... it isn't easy. I did need to use the hints. But I think the answer is the ripped curtain.

For puzzle 2 (which window?), I first thought it had to be a window in the second row from the left. You can easily hear the music from there and see the far-right white flag (well, the shirt). But I think they mean a flag next to the window itself, which reduces the possibilities to the top-left window.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Puzzle #2: Top left window with the blue flag is has to be him
Puzzle #4: The wide open window seems the only access to the room besides the door

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't read this LP just based on your word. If you're the REAL Accursed Walrus then you'll be able to solve this puzzle I've been trying to figure out...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I've heard of the series but I haven't played - or seen - any of these games before.

The series is quite nice if you have a 3ds/ds. It just oozes charm, and I find it makes for a relaxing before-bed game. Just set an alarm or something, because otherwise you can find yourself puzzling until dawn.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Puzzle #2 top left, because of the flag right outside
Puzzle #4 I'm thinking it's the ripped curtain.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

You, uh, you feeling all right there, Layton?

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Dragonatrix posted:

You, uh, you feeling all right there, Layton?

Some people get a bit twitchy when they don't have their morning coffee. Layton gets a bit twitchy when he hasn't had his morning puzzle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's worth noting that in America, this game was released as Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box.

Also, if something doesn't seem right to the Americans in the videos, it's probably Luke's voice. Luke actually has a different voice actress in the European versions of the games, since his American voice didn't test well with British audiences. However, you probably already know this voice from the English versions of the movie The Eternal Diva and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, since they didn't bother to get Lani Minella for those.

I....I like Layton a lot.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Waffleman_ posted:

It's worth noting that in America, this game was released as Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box.

I knew I forgot something! I was originally going to use the US version, but it was suggested that I use the UK version since the game takes place in the UK.

On that note, I am American, so if any UK goons see a cultural thing, feel free to point it out.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, if something doesn't seem right to the Americans in the videos, it's probably Luke's voice. Luke actually has a different voice actress in the European versions of the games, since his American voice didn't test well with British audiences. However, you probably already know this voice from the English versions of the movie The Eternal Diva and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, since they didn't bother to get Lani Minella for those.

I'm still getting used to UK Luke. Compare this US cutscene to the last one in the previous update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKEhXOjoIs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got used to him pretty quickly with Eternal Diva. Between that and Layton vs, I can pretty much go back and forth between the two no problem.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As someone who got introduced to Professor Layton via the Ace Attorney crossover, I can honestly say I prefer Luke's UK voice actress myself.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Puzzle #2: Very top left? Seems most likely to be the one to see a flag through.
Puzzle #4: There's a curtain ripped off in the bottom-right panel. Should be a pair of 'em.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I know that the US and UK versions of these games have some different puzzles in some places. Are you gonna post the US versions too?

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Dr. Fetus posted:

I know that the US and UK versions of these games have some different puzzles in some places. Are you gonna post the US versions too?

When we get around to those, yes, I'll post both versions.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

hopeandjoy posted:

As someone who got introduced to Professor Layton via the Ace Attorney crossover, I can honestly say I prefer Luke's UK voice actress myself.

Luke's UK voice actress does a lot of voice work for children's cartoons too, one's usually aimed at the younger child, the sort you might see on CBeebies, (a channel for younger kids if you didn't know)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ah, Professor Layton.

This game was a treat when it came out, because it was just so delightfully British. Nice to see one of the games being LPed, but I personally plan on refraining from commenting on puzzles since, well, already completed the franchise myself.

Gonna have fun with goons trying to figure out the plot though.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Oh boy, I'm glad someone is going to LP another one of the Layton games (I was wondering when it would happen, as it's been ages since the last one). I'll be following this closely!

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 16, 2015

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Puzzling Times on the Molentary Express

Firstly, we should solve the puzzle from the last update.

Music, flag, and sunrise. Looks good to me!

Now, back to the story.

As many of you stated, the ripped curtain is what we're looking for here.

Something that I forgot to mention last update - Layton and Luke have slightly different versions of the “CORRECT” screen. Luke’s is blue, and Layton’s is brown. It’s a nice touch I didn’t notice until now.

: Hmph! So, it is. But what exactly does this have to do with my crime scene?

: Well, er, yes, sound as a pound! I was just about to propose the same idea myself.

: Liar!

I took this screenshot because Layton is whispering to Luke while Chelmey is still on-screen. I find this funnier than I probably should.

: What say you and I conduct a little investigation of our own?

: Professor, look! There’s something in Dr Schrader’s hand.

Kind of short for a mystery, isn’t it? I’d imagine Dr Schrader probably kept some tape around here. It shouldn't take long to put back together.

: What is this anyway? Hmph, not that it matters. I’ll be holding on to that. Now, out with the both of you.

: Yet there was nothing resembling such an artifact in his home.

: Maybe the person who did this to him was after the box?

: An interesting theory, Luke, but for the moment that’s all it is. However, we do have one clue to understanding today’s events. Namely, that ticket.

: Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Professor?

: Indeed I am, Luke. I believe a trip aboard the Molentary Express is in order.

Music: Molentary Express

: Dr Schrader did his best to point us toward the Molentary Express should something happen to him. Sure as fog on a London morning, I know that this train will lead us to the answers we seek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KTG8V-BKM

: Ha ha! Quite so, Luke. Every fixture and fitting is the very height of decadence. I’d wager the rest of the train is just as grand. How about a little exploration?

Sure! Let’s start with this suitcase.

The nice big red “!” indicates that you’re about to get thrown into a puzzle.

: Oops! So they are!

: You should put your things away before we start exploring the train.

You can use little items like the harmonica and book to fill in the small gaps later, so pack up the big items first.
That unwieldy frying pan and spatula set go in the lower-left corner. Luke’s teddy bear belongs in the upper-right corner.
Luke’s book should be placed in the upper-left portion of the trunk. By this point, you should be most of the way toward solving the puzzle, so try working the rest out on your own.

As per before, puzzles and hints will be reposted at the bottom of the update.

: We were in rather a hurry, so I suppose you didn’t really have time to pack properly.

: I do feel better with everything put away. Come on, Professor, let’s do some exploring.

Yes, let’s explore the train. Starting with… these teapots.

: Oh, dear. I’ll have to remember to get sugar for my tea elsewhere. Curious though, isn’t it? How did they get here? Speaking of ants, try this one on for size, Luke.

If you were disappointed by only having two puzzles to solve last update, you’ll enjoy this update.

I have mixed feelings on these sorts of puzzles. I like them because they often require multiple looks at the puzzle, since you need the optimal answer. I dislike them because it's easy to think you have the right answer and lose some Picarats.

When tracing out a path back to the nest, leave as few roads untouched as possible.
Assuming the top of the screen to be north, from the point labeled Start, drag your stylus south and then go west at your first chance. At the next intersection, head north to the top of the map. When you reach a T intersection at the top of the map, head west again. When you hit a wall, take the road leading south.
From the last point mentioned in Hint Two, head east at the first available point, and then take the first road you hit that heads south. If you’ve gotten this far, the rest should be a breeze.

: While I’m no fan of ants in my sugar, you have to admire their craftiness and work ethic!

: Maybe it’s because even the sugar on the Molentary Express is extra fancy?

: Ha ha, I’m sure those ants are genuine sugar connoisseurs.

Two puzzles later, we actually decide to leave our room.

: You don’t have to tell me twice, Professor. Now, why don’t we start by investigating the train?

A good investigation involves talking to everybody.

: But no one’s allowed in ‘cept for REALLY rich people. So, misters, are you REALLY rich? ‘Cause if you are, you can go see the super-duper fancy rooms.

: Super-duper fancy rooms…

: …that none but the extremely wealthy can enter. If our young friend is correctly informed, there must be a set of deluxe rooms in the next carriage.

: Wow! I’d love to see what those look like! I bet they’re simply smashing!

If we opt to talk to Lili again, we get a puzzle.

: We’re actually out looking for something, dear. Sadly, we don’t know where it is. Until we find a clue to point us in the right direction, we’ll simply have to continue looking.

: Ooh, that sounds like lots of work. Here, I’ll tell you a puzzle to take your mind off that stuff.

Think about how much longer one side of the strip was compared to the other one after the first fold.
Remember, you’re being asked to answer in millimetres.
Consider the location of the first fold your starting point. The second fold must have been positioned one centimetre away from this location. Does that clear things up for you?

: I hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for, misters!

Not much to do other than to advance to the next carriage.

: That reminds me, I believe it’s dindin time for my sweet baby. I’m off to visit the dining car.

: Talk about rich and flashy!

: Quite. This train is full of many well-heeled patrons like the woman we just met. We must watch our deeds and words here. A formal setting demands formal manners, don’t you think?

: Absolutely, Professor!

That’s odd. Someone seems to have left their door ajar. But as British gentlemen, we wouldn’t dare intrude.

Wait never mind I saw a puzzle in there, privacy be damned.

: Who knew that something as ordinary as a pitcher could be so fancy?

: What could be more relaxing than sitting in your suite with a cold beverage and watching the sunset? Not everything that’s served in pitchers is good to drink, however. Look at this puzzle, for example.

: I’m ready for it, Professor!

In the US version, this puzzle is called “Pitchers and Poison.” The puzzle itself is identical if you replace every instance of “vinegar” in the next two paragraphs with “purple poison.”

Even if you don't have a clue, you still have a 50-50 chance :v:

Grab a few water glasses and try the puzzle out for yourself--minus the vinegar, of course. The principle that determines where the vinegar is should soon become obvious.
If you stopped after five pours instead of 55, what would be different?
Isn’t it funny how on every odd-numbered pour, the vinegar ends up in the middle of the three pitchers?

Once we exit this room and proceed…

We come across the dining car that Babette was talking about. While we’re here, it couldn’t hurt to sample the cuisine.

: What a pity.

: Indeed it is, sir. But while you’re waiting for a table, may I interest you in a puzzle?

This one is just a nice logic puzzle.

The mustachioed Mr. O’Connor is B. Seeing as how both C and F are men, his wife has to be A.
The Joneses are both sitting by the aisle, which means they must be sitting across from each other. Since you know B is Mr. O’Connor, C and G must be Mr. and Mrs. Jones, right?
So, where is Mr. Lambert in all this? We now know A and B to be the O’Connors, so the people sitting across from them must also be a couple. But they can’t be the Lamberts because the Lamberts have to be sitting across from each other… Keep the above in mind, and you should have everything you need to identify all four of the couples.

: Oh, and it appears a table has just become available. Allow me just a moment to tidy it up and then I will be happy to escort you to your seats.

: Great! I’m starving!

: Madam, please wait just a moment. In truth, these passengers have been waiting long-

: Nonsense! We’ll not hear another word of this! You’d take these people before us? We are insulted!

: I do apologise, madam. It’s simply that these gentlemen arrived before you…

: We will not be kept waiting, do you understand? Not a single second! Now, our of our way!

: Madam!

: Er, I do apologise, sirs. There’s a lovely observation deck in the last carriage of the train. Please feel free to relax there for a few minutes while I prepare a new table for you.

: Maintaining one’s composure while dealing with difficult customers is truly admirable. Come, Luke. Let’s give him some breathing room. We’ll take a look at the deck and return to the dining car later.

I suppose we’ll just have to wait, then.

Some of you may have noticed that there are actually two doors forward - one to the left and another to the right. Let’s take a look inside the left one.

: Yes, it seems that the Molentary Express is a first-class operation, right down to the kitchen.

: Those dirty clothes of yours probably violate all sorts of health regulations, you know.

: Why, I’ll have you know that there’s nothing at all dirty about our clothes!

: Say what you like, short stuff, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m running a kitchen here. Did you stop to think about what could happen if yucky outside germs made it in here because of you?

: I see your point. Terribly sorry for the intrusion and any worry we may have caused you, good sir.

: Oh… All right. I’m sorry too, sir. Wait, what’s that?

: How arrogant of him to lecture other people about germs!

: Oh boy, I guess the cat’s out the bag now. Listen, I know it’s against the rules to keep a pet in the kitchen. But… He’s my only friend, see? Furry or not, he’s the only pers...er, creature I’ve got to talk to in here.

: Of course he’s a hamster! Their quiet dignity makes them the noblest of all creatures! When I first started working here, I needed someone to keep me company, so I bought him. Thing is, I feed him all the table scraps we take back, which makes for a diet that’s a bit, erm, rich.

: The poor thing!

: I wonder… Could I ask you a favour? Would you mind looking after my friend for a little while? When he’s here with me, I can’t help but feed him. But those scraps of foie gras and pastry soon add up.

: You mean you want us to take care of him and help him get into shape? Sounds like a great idea to me! Erm, I mean, what do you think, Professor? Can we please keep him for a little while?

: We’d be happy to take custody of this hamster until he sheds some of that excess baggage.

: Oh, thank you so much! It’s a real weight off my shoulders. And off his waist, hopefully!

Last update, I talked about how we had three things in the trunk that we didn’t know about. This is one of the three things.

: Since I won’t be seeing the little fellow for a while, could you give him this apple? He loves them so. Oh, I’m going to miss my furry friend! Please look after him!

: Don’t worry, he’s in good hands!

As the screenshot suggests, we need a name for our hamster! Maximum of ten characters. I'll give you all 48 hours from this post or until 9:00pm EST on Sunday to come up with a name.

Puzzles in this update:

You can use little items like the harmonica and book to fill in the small gaps later, so pack up the big items first.
That unwieldy frying pan and spatula set go in the lower-left corner. Luke’s teddy bear belongs in the upper-right corner.
Luke’s book should be placed in the upper-left portion of the trunk. By this point, you should be most of the way toward solving the puzzle, so try working the rest out on your own.

When tracing out a path back to the nest, leave as few roads untouched as possible.
Assuming the top of the screen to be north, from the point labeled Start, drag your stylus south and then go west at your first chance. At the next intersection, head north to the top of the map. When you reach a T intersection at the top of the map, head west again. When you hit a wall, take the road leading south.
From the last point mentioned in Hint Two, head east at the first available point, and then take the first road you hit that heads south. If you’ve gotten this far, the rest should be a breeze.

Think about how much longer one side of the strip was compared to the other one after the first fold.
Remember, you’re being asked to answer in millimetres.
Consider the location of the first fold your starting point. The second fold must have been positioned one centimetre away from this location. Does that clear things up for you?

Grab a few water glasses and try the puzzle out for yourself--minus the vinegar, of course. The principle that determines where the vinegar is should soon become obvious.
If you stopped after five pours instead of 55, what would be different?
Isn’t it funny how on every odd-numbered pour, the vinegar ends up in the middle of the three pitchers?

The mustachioed Mr. O’Connor is B. Seeing as how both C and F are men, his wife has to be A.
The Joneses are both sitting by the aisle, which means they must be sitting across from each other. Since you know B is Mr. O’Connor, C and G must be Mr. and Mrs. Jones, right?
So, where is Mr. Lambert in all this? We now know A and B to be the O’Connors, so the people sitting across from them must also be a couple. But they can’t be the Lamberts because the Lamberts have to be sitting across from each other… Keep the above in mind, and you should have everything you need to identify all four of the couples.

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 18, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mmm. Not the best adventure game I've seen set on a train, but then this is hardly a last express.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...I get that fish and chips might not be so ubiquitous in American understanding, even as a British stereotype, but is it really so obscure that vinegar is better replaced by 'purple poison'?

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Glazius posted:

Mmm. Not the best adventure game I've seen set on a train, but then this is hardly a last express.

Considering it will be revealed next update, I don't think it's a spoiler to say at the least we won't be spending all of our time on this train.

Astro Nut posted:

...I get that fish and chips might not be so ubiquitous in American understanding, even as a British stereotype, but is it really so obscure that vinegar is better replaced by 'purple poison'?

You tell me. I actually still have the footage from when I was planning to use the US version...

Also, seeing as no one voted on the name of the hamster, I'll just call him Hamster unless anyone wants to give me a suggestion in the next couple hours.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hamster name? Rick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Only puzzle that looks pretty simple on a glance to me is #7, I believe Mrs. Hadley is e.
edit: Oh, and 24 should be 10 if it's really as facepalmigly simple as it looks. But I'm terrible at visualization.
edit2: Hamster should totally be Rodney.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 19, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Poison is evil and can kill people. You wouldn't want any of that in a proper and decent game for kids!

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hamster name? Rick.

Sold. I'll get working on the next update. Should be ready around early Tuesday.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Did someone say hamsters? :)

I've recently started playing a game that is to minigames what this is to puzzles, and I enjoyed the previous LP when I stumbled upon it on the archives a few months back. I'm eager to see how this goes. :allears:

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
A Missing Boy

We begin as usual with last update's puzzles.

This one is just kind of a trial and error puzzle. Put one piece somewhere, then try to fit everything else in.

For this one, you just have to take your best shot, note the route and length, and then try something else. It does help that the solutions to puzzles in Layton tend to be unique, so if you find two routes with the same length, you can probably rule them out.

...And then Mort informs me that there is, in fact, a much better way to do these!

Mort posted:

The trick to these is to work out which parts of the path you don't take. Whenever you have three segments meeting at a point, you can only take 2 of them. Likewise you can only take one segment at the entrance and exit. There are fourteen places where three segments meet at a point, and each segment connects two places, so (counting the entrance and exit too) there are eight segments you won't take. Make sure these are all as short as possible and you solve the puzzle.

If all else fails, grab a piece of paper and try it for yourself.

For this puzzle, it's best to just do as the hints suggest and try it out either physically or with pen and paper. From there, look for a pattern.

This is just logic and process of elimination. Find everyone else's location, and you get Mrs Hadley by default.

Dr. Fetus suggested Rick as the name for our hamster, and I think Rick is a great name for a hamster.

: Squeak? Squee-Squeak!

Ha ha! It appears that your way with animals has earned you a new friend, Luke!

I think so too, Professor!

Let's check on Rick.

Rick can be found in the Trunk. I'm pretty sure they don't actually keep Rick in there, at least.

The workout ends when Rick can't find any more items.

Above is Rick's "playground". Rick is currently level 5 - "Blobby" and we want to get him all the way down to level 0. You can also see our goal on the left is 008, which means Rick needs to walk 8 steps in a single workout to reach level 4.

Our only item right now is that apple Macaroon gave us, detailed above.

Dealing with this is going to be interesting. I'll bring up Rick's screen each time we get a new toy so that you guys can work out the new optimal workout routine. It will be an ongoing puzzle of sorts, and I'll keep track of our progress in the second post.

We’re finished in the kitchen, so let’s return to the dining car and start heading towards the observation deck like Chester suggested.

There’s another person in the next car, and talking to her yields another puzzle.

Thank you, but I don’t think we need any snacks right now.

Of course you don’t. And I put on my best smile for nothing. Most passengers eat in the dining car. It’s so ritzy, I can’t say I blame them. With competition like that, it’s hard to sell so much as a cup of tea. I’m sooo bored. I’ve got a while until my shift finishes, so help me pass a little time with this puzzle, would you?

This puzzle might seem familiar - it’s a variant on a famous puzzle.

This puzzle isn’t a brain buster, so take a step back for a moment. One way to solve puzzles like these is just to experiment by moving the pancakes around.
If you can get the biggest pancake over to the red plate, you’re within inches of solving the puzzle.
Shift the smallest pancake to the red plate, then place the medium-sized pancake on the middle plate. Next, place the smallest pancake on top of the medium pancake. This will free up the red plate for the biggest pancake.

So, listen, our next stop is in this dinky little two-cow village called Dropstone, right? There’s, like, nothing there. I wish we could stop somewhere more exciting for a change. But I guess that’s working a job for you. Sometimes you just have to deal with crippling boredom.

This next car has a door open, but there’s nothing of interest in there yet.

Indeed, and the scenery is simply breathtaking. Look, Luke, you can see a lake over there.

The sky is so blue! And just look at those trees fly by! Now, that’s what I call a view!

All this talk of pristine scenery reminds me of a puzzle I once heard. Why don’t you try it?

I’m going to take a moment here and recommend GIMP as an image editing program if you want to do some of these puzzles. Either that, or you can print out the screenshot, I suppose.

You’ll want to separate any two trees of the same type that are adjacent to each other. Why not start by putting some lines down in any place that fits that description?
Let’s see if we can’t find a way to deal with those trees in the lower-left part of the picture. The lines you drew after reading Hint One should give you a little direction to go on. The group of trees you section off down here should take on a sideways L shape.
The tree in the upper-left corner and the one to its immediate right belong to different groups. Additionally, the tree in the upper-right corner and the one directly below it belong to different groups as well. Use these hints as stepping stones to solve the rest of the puzzle.

Well, did you expect any less, Professor? Heh heh heh! Wow, it feels so nice out here, I almost forgot we’re supposed to be searching for the Elysian Box.

I can’t say I blame you, Luke. But that box led poor Andrew to his death. Come what may, I will solve this mystery.

Of course.

*fade to black*

It’s high time we began our investigation proper.

OK, Professor, let’s get to it!

There’s a puzzle hidden on this screen. See if you can find it.

Yeah, it was a bit of an obvious one.

Some people have got no manners!

Luke, a true gentleman cleans up after himself - and others, should the need arise. What do you say we take care of this mess?

Goodness, that’s a lot of Picarats! I'm sure it can't be that bad, though.

Oh... it’s a sliding puzzle. :suicide:

I hate sliding puzzles, I really do. Granted, that’s probably because I’m not good at them, but I think a lot of Layton fans would agree that slide puzzles tend to be nastier than other puzzles.

Give this method of starting the puzzle a shot. Stack the four blue blocks on top of each other, with the first one at the bottom of the trash can. Next, find a way to get one of those four blocks into the little indentation in the upper-right corner. Once it’s in place, you’ll never have to move that block again!
Here’s a helpful hint. If you’re feeling stumped, place a blue block in the uppermost, lowermost, and rightmost areas of the puzzle. Then try moving the other blocks around in the remaining space.
Removing the blue block at the bottom of the trash can will be your second-to-last move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrPWySsHLWE

Wonderful, isn’t it? Keeping a place tidy really brightens it up.

I don’t believe this man was here on our way to the observation deck. Let’s take a moment to chat with him.

I couldn’t agree more. And there’s no better way to do it than on a train as fine as yours, Mr Beluga.

Hm? So you know my name, do you?

But of course. This train and its owner have quite a reputation in London. I’ve seen your face in the papers more than a few times.

I’m sorry, er...my friend, but I can’t say I know you as well as you seem to know me.

The name is Hershel Layton. I’m a professor of archaeology by trade, but a train enthusiast on the side. I’ve heard tales of this train’s grandeur, so I decided it was time to experience it, first-hand.

Well, isn’t that something. It certainly is a pleasure to meet you, Mr ...Layton, was it? Oh my, just look at how late it’s gotten. I really have to run. Do enjoy your time aboard.

The dining car it is, then.

Great! It’s finally time to eat!

My sentiments exactly.

Wow, look at all these choices! It’s enough to make my head spin!

Oh, look over there. There’s some sort of commotion going on.

I call it slop! Are you telling me you serve this to our customers?

I-I’ll make up some more right away, sir!

Feh! Get that mess out of my sight this instant!

But of course. I-I’m very sorry to have displeased you.

And another thing! Look at these vases and that picture! Talk about tacky! Replace them immediately!

I don’t care if the Queen of England painted it! Replace it and be quick about it!

O-of course, sir. I’ll start making the arrangements immediately.

That was, indeed, Mr Beluga. It’s a shame that picture wasn’t to his taste. I think it’s marvellous. Speaking of pictures, Luke, I have a most intriguing puzzle for you.

There’s no trick here. You might have an easier time if you mark the drawing by using the Memo function.
Why don’t you take a closer look at the corners of the picture?
You can complete most of the drawing using only two colours, but did you notice there’s one pesky area down in the lower-left corner that requires an additional colour?

After a puzzle like that and a filling meal, I feel a rest is in order. Let’s retire to our room.

As you progress through the story, some puzzles will disappear from their original locations. These puzzles are then moved to Granny Riddleton’s shack, where they can be solved at any time. Here is the first set of puzzles to be sent to the shack. If no puzzles appear on the next screen, it means there are no unsolved puzzles to send right now.

We’ve been thorough in our puzzle hunting, so we won’t see much of Granny Riddleton.

Looks like Chester has another puzzle for us.

Oh, yes. The menu was excellent in both its variety and execution.

You honour us, sir. Professional waiters such as myself live for praise such as yours. Now then, shall I provide you with the bill? Oh… I do apologise, sirs, but I seem to have forgotten your order. Could you enlighten me?

Start by adding up the cost of the entire meal.
Luke’s meal cost twice as much as the professor’s. That means the ratio of Luke’s cost compared to the professor’s cost must be 2:1.
The cost of the entire meal comes out to 105 pounds. This total needs to be split to fit our ratio of 2:1. Therefore, Luke’s meal cost 70 pounds and the professor’s cost 35. What combination of food and drink items can you find that add up to 70?

Now, as we have some time until our next destination, I invite you to sit back and enjoy the journey.

This glass is also hiding a puzzle.

Even the dishes are first-rate.

I’ll say! Look at this glass!

Yes, the etching is quite impressive. Speaking of glasses, have you heard this one, Luke?

”This design is preposterous!” The owner wasn’t angry because the design in question was hard to assemble. He was upset because one design was physically impossible to replicate in real life.
A and C could probably be pulled off with steady hands and a lot of patience.
One design, while perfectly natural when drawn out in 2-D, stacks the glasses in a way that is impossible to create in reality. On paper, each cup is represented by a single bent line, but real glasses have a rim on the top and walls of a set thickness.

Let’s check on Macaroon. He seemed a bit down after he got chewed out by Beluga.

If you didn’t expect him to have a puzzle, I don’t know what to tell you.

You mean he always blows up at you like that?

Well, you know, me or someone else on the staff. The boss can be a very hard man to please.

That’s awful. You and the others shouldn’t have to put up with him bullying you like that.

Well, the boss does have a point. After all, he made this railway what it is today. He always says that a first-class train deserves a first-class atmosphere. I mean, even the plates we use in the dining car are custom-made. The craftsmanship is amazing. Take a look at the fine detail on the bottom!

You don’t need to do any kind of special calculation here. In fact, all you need is a little intuition.
How would things look if you rotated the smaller triangle?
By now you’ve tried visualizing what things would look like if you rotated the triangle around, yes? If you’ve done that, you should be able to see how many smaller triangles fit in the larger one. Just count them up.

Nice as they are, I’m sure Mr Beluga will find a reason to complain about these plates too.

I wouldn’t be surprised… I suppose rich people can just afford to be picky!

And we start our trek back to our own car. I’m sure we won’t be interrupted by anything.

Madam, please calm down so I can understand the situation.

Oh, Inspector Chelmey. I had no idea you were on board.

Well well! If it isn’t Mr Layton! What are the chances, eh? Well, enough small talk. I have other matters to attend to. Namely, a missing child. It seems this woman’s child has gone off somewhere. I don’t suppose you’ve seen him around?

No, I don’t believe I’ve seen any young boys.

My little boy wandered off and he hasn’t returned yet! I’m simply at my wits’ end worrying about him! Gentlemen, I demand that you drop whatever it is you’re doing and help me find my boy!

Hrmph, she’s been going on like this from the moment I walked in.

I understand your concern, madam. My assistant and I will be glad to aid you in your search. We’ll have the best chance of recovering your son if we start searching immediately.

It seems the only clues we have to go on are this shoe that the tyke left behind and his name, Tom. I’ve tried to squeeze more details out of the woman, but it’s useless. She just keeps demanding I search the place.

It’s positively tiny, isn’t it?

Yes, I find it quite curious myself, Luke. Very puzzling indeed.

I didn’t think children with feet that size could even walk!

Indeed…

Before we end the update, let’s see if we can get any more information from Chelmey.

During the investigation, we stumbled upon the late doctor’s diary. Its pages detail the doctor’s final days, which led me to this train. But since that investigation is none of your business, that’s all I can tell you, Mr Layton. Besides, finding that lost child is my top priority right now. With only a shoe and a name to go on, though, it’s going to be an uphill struggle to find him.

Luke and I would be glad to offer our assistance in the matter.

Oh, I’m sure your would. I’ve heard about you, Layton. You’ve got quite a reputation for poking your nose into other people’s business. If you want in on my case, why not show me your famous powers of deduction by solving this puzzle?

Had the shoe clerk not gone next door to get change, he might never have realized he lost money.
In the end, the shoe clerk essentially passed back the 50 pounds he got from the shopkeeper next door, so he neither lost nor gained money from these interactions.
The sneaky customer ended up getting away with shoes costing 30 pounds, as well as 20 pounds in change.

We’ll break here for the sake of not dropping too many puzzles at once.

Puzzles in this Update:

This puzzle isn’t a brain buster, so take a step back for a moment. One way to solve puzzles like these is just to experiment by moving the pancakes around.
If you can get the biggest pancake over to the red plate, you’re within inches of solving the puzzle.
Shift the smallest pancake to the red plate, then place the medium-sized pancake on the middle plate. Next, place the smallest pancake on top of the medium pancake. This will free up the red plate for the biggest pancake.

You’ll want to separate any two trees of the same type that are adjacent to each other. Why not start by putting some lines down in any place that fits that description?
Let’s see if we can’t find a way to deal with those trees in the lower-left part of the picture. The lines you drew after reading Hint One should give you a little direction to go on. The group of trees you section off down here should take on a sideways L shape.
The tree in the upper-left corner and the one to its immediate right belong to different groups. Additionally, the tree in the upper-right corner and the one directly below it belong to different groups as well. Use these hints as stepping stones to solve the rest of the puzzle.

There’s no trick here. You might have an easier time if you mark the drawing by using the Memo function.
Why don’t you take a closer look at the corners of the picture?
You can complete most of the drawing using only two colours, but did you notice there’s one pesky area down in the lower-left corner that requires an additional colour?

Start by adding up the cost of the entire meal.
Luke’s meal cost twice as much as the professor’s. That means the ratio of Luke’s cost compared to the professor’s cost must be 2:1.
The cost of the entire meal comes out to 105 pounds. This total needs to be split to fit our ratio of 2:1. Therefore, Luke’s meal cost 70 pounds and the professor’s cost 35. What combination of food and drink items can you find that add up to 70?

”This design is preposterous!” The owner wasn’t angry because the design in question was hard to assemble. He was upset because one design was physically impossible to replicate in real life.
A and C could probably be pulled off with steady hands and a lot of patience.
One design, while perfectly natural when drawn out in 2-D, stacks the glasses in a way that is impossible to create in reality. On paper, each cup is represented by a single bent line, but real glasses have a rim on the top and walls of a set thickness.

You don’t need to do any kind of special calculation here. In fact, all you need is a little intuition.
How would things look if you rotated the smaller triangle?
By now you’ve tried visualizing what things would look like if you rotated the triangle around, yes? If you’ve done that, you should be able to see how many smaller triangles fit in the larger one. Just count them up.

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 21, 2015

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Hopefully there are more participants this time.

6: There's an easy procedure to solving "Tower of Hanoi" puzzles, but there are obviously going to be taller stacks for us to solve later so I'll wait to give it away. For this one the answer is left-right, left-middle, right-middle, left-right, middle-left, middle-right, left-right

11: If you number the squares from 1-16 the groups are (1,5,6,10),(2,3,4,7),(9,13,14,15),(8,11,12,16)

10: Most of the page can be colored with 2 colors, but you need a 3rd in the lower left corner at the T-intersection. Incidentally any 2d map can be colored with 4 colors; the fourth is only required if you have a region completely surrounding a 3-color area (such as the background here).

8: The professor got the coffee, salad, and sandwiches. Luke unfortunately passed out having eaten everything else.

9: D is impossible since the front/back rims of the bottom 3 glasses will hit each other.

13: If you rotate the inner triangle around you end up with a triforce, therefore the bigger triangle is 4 times bigger.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't really get all the puzzling, but the answer to #13 seems a pretty obvious four.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Accursed Walrus posted:

For this one, you just have to take your best shot, note the route and length, and then try something else. It does help that the solutions to puzzles in Layton tend to be unique, so if you find two routes with the same length, you can probably rule them out.

The trick to these is to work out which parts of the path you don't take. Whenever you have three segments meeting at a point, you can only take 2 of them. Likewise you can only take one segment at the entrance and exit. There are fourteen places where three segments meet at a point, and each segment connects two places, so (counting the entrance and exit too) there are eight segments you won't take. Make sure these are all as short as possible and you solve the puzzle.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Mort posted:

Huh, I never noticed that. That method works a lot better than the one I used.

I suppose now is a good a time as any to say that what I put with the puzzle solutions are just the methods I used to solve the puzzles, and by no means are the optimal (or even good) methods. So if I give a method that doesn't work well, please feel free to correct me.

On that note, do you mind if I edit this into the post, Mort?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I was referencing Kirby's animal buddy with that name. :v:

Can't really participate in the puzzle solving since I've played this before, but I'll try for the UK puzzles since I've played the US version.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Puzzle #9: D

The glasses definitely doesn't work that way in that solution.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Accursed Walrus posted:

Huh, I never noticed that. That method works a lot better than the one I used.

I suppose now is a good a time as any to say that what I put with the puzzle solutions are just the methods I used to solve the puzzles, and by no means are the optimal (or even good) methods. So if I give a method that doesn't work well, please feel free to correct me.

On that note, do you mind if I edit this into the post, Mort?

Go right ahead!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Ooh, another Professor Layton LP! Here are my answers:

006: This is the Towers of Hanoi. The key is (REDACTED). With just three pieces, the moves go as follows (1 is the smallest piece, 3 is the largest, and plates are (L)eft, (M)iddle and (R)ight): 1->R, 2->M, 1->M, 3->R, 1->L, 2->R, 1->R. Total: 7 moves.

011: Mark the squares like a chessboard, with A1 at the bottom left, A4 at the top left, and D4 at the top right. Then one piece is A2, A1, B1, C1. Another piece is A4, A3, B3, B2. A third piece is B4, C4, C3, D4. The fourth and last piece is D3, D2, C2, D1.

010: 3 colors needed. All but the lower left-hand piece can be colored with just two, but it and the two to its right all touch each other, and three colors are needed for that part of the diagram.

008: The total price is 105 of whatever currency (picarats?) is used here, so Luke's order cost 70 picarats and Layton's cost 35. The only items that can add up to 35 picarats are 8, 13 and 14. So by elimination, Luke's order must have been the items that cost 12, 16, 17 and 25 picarats.

009: Design B cannot stand up to gravity. The two outside glasses on the second row have nothing holding them up and will fall left and right. Design A is dangerous and would tip over too easily to be wise, but it's not impossible, while design B is totally impossible.

013: I could draw a geometric diagram to prove it, but I won't bother since it's easy to see visually. Each side of the smaller triangle is half the length of the larger triangle's side. The larger triangle is therefore 4 times the size of the smaller one.

Edit: Removed my explanation of how to trivialize Towers of Hanoi puzzles, as others may want to work it out for themselves.

Edit 2: After looking at other people's answers to 009, it looks like the right answer is going to be D. I maintain that B is also impossible and should also be a correct answer, but D is almost certainly what the game is looking for. And if this is anything like the first Layton game, it won't give credit for alternate answers, so I'd probably change my answer to D.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 21, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is a nicely mixed set of puzzles.

...why do I already feel like I know the answer to Lady Poshington's missing baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
My answer for Puzzle 9 is D, that design is impossible to pull off with actual wine glasses unless you cut slots in specific wine glasses.

• Locked thread