Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've heard of the series but I haven't played - or seen - any of these games before.

I like the British setting. A more decent version of Sherlock Holmes, paired up with Oliver Twist, huh?

As for puzzle 4... it isn't easy. I did need to use the hints. But I think the answer is the ripped curtain.

For puzzle 2 (which window?), I first thought it had to be a window in the second row from the left. You can easily hear the music from there and see the far-right white flag (well, the shirt). But I think they mean a flag next to the window itself, which reduces the possibilities to the top-left window.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Poison is evil and can kill people. You wouldn't want any of that in a proper and decent game for kids!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be honest, when I read through an update I try my hand on the puzzles. Either I get them and then I use the hints to confirm if I got it right, and then don't feel the need to post the answer anymore because it'll come up in the next update anyway... or I don't get it and use to hints to find the answer, in which case I don't feel like posting it either because the hints feel like cheating.

So, while this LP is cool, I don't really feel the need to type all the answers out.

Having said that, I'd like to note that that for Puzzle 19, while the obvious answer is 6, zero is a mathematically correct answer. And if you allow rounding, any number would do.

I think the mechanic guy is supposed to have some kind of blue collar British accent. Perhaps a Britain goon can clarify this?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

"If only some children got a red balloon" so 0 (none) or 10 (all) is not valid. And rounding? Are you cutting balloons in half now?

Puzzle 19 is where 1/6th get off the train. Puzzle 14 has balloons.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle 018: I don't know which was the start point and which was the end point.

Look for the goal flag.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle W03, Wrong Clocks: At first glance, you might think it will be after 30 hours, when both clocks' minute hands are back on the 6, but that's wrong. After 2 hours, one clock will show 2:02 and the other 1:58. After 12 hours, when it's really midnight, one clock will show 12:12 and the other 11:48. After 24 hours, when it's really noon again, the fast clock will show 12:24 and the slow one 11:36. After 30 hours, both clocks will have their minute hands on the 6, but one will show that it's 6:30 and the other that it's 5:30 -- so 30 hours isn't the correct solution. However, it will need to be a multiple of 30 hours, so our search for a solution can be sped up. After 60 hours (when it's really midnight), the fast clock will show that it's 1:00 and the slow clock will show that it's 11:00. After 120 hours, the fast clock will show that it's 2:00 and the slow clock that it's 10:00. 180 hours will give us 3:00 and 9:00, 240 hours will give us 4:00 and 8:00, and 300 hours will give us 5:00 and 7:00. Now we should check 330 hours, just in case -- but that gives us 5:30 for the fast clock and 6:30 for the slow clock. It's only after 360 hours have passed that both clocks will show the exact same time again, 6:00. (One will "actually" be showing 6:00 AM or 06:00, and the other 6:00 PM or 18:00, but since these are 12-hour clocks that doesn't matter.) The answer is 360 hours.

I'm going to post my slightly different way to get to the solution, because I think it's faster.

The first thing you need to understand is that every hour, the clocks move 2 minutes away from each other. As it's an analogue 12-hour clock, by the time the clocks have moved 12 hours away from each other, they hands are at exactly the same place again. There's 60 minutes in an hour, so 12 x 60 = 720 minutes. The clocks get through these 720 minutes of 'relative distance' at a rate of 2 minutes per hour. 720 / 2 = 360 hours.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

This is the kind of puzzle I can get behind. By which I mean I believe I have the solution.

Vend one bar from the first machine, two bars from the second, and so on up to all hundred bars from the hundredth machine. Put all of this chocolate on the scale. If all of the bars weighed 100 grams, I believe the total weight should be 505,000 grams (100 * 101 / 2 * 100), but it will weigh more than that. Call the total weight W, and calculate n = W - 505000. This is the number of grams of excess weight, and thus the number of bars that each weigh one gram too much. Since we took n bars from machine number n and from no other machine, the nth machine is the one that has the overweight bars. It's not hard to prove that the problem is impossible to solve in fewer weighings than one, but I'll leave that proof as an exercise for the reader.

Nice answer! My first thought was a less optimized one, it requires either 6 or 7 tries:

Get a single bar from each machine. Put the bars from machine 1 to 50 on the scale. If they weigh 50*100 + 1 grams, the 'faulty' machine is somewhere in the first 50. If not, it's in the latter 50.
Divide the 50 bars that contain the heavier one in two again, and put the first 25 on the scale. Is it 25 * 100 + 1 grams? Divide this stack in two and put the first half on the scale. If not, divide the remaining stack of 25 in two and do the same thing.

This way, each step you halve the amount of possible machines, quickly reaching a state where there's only one possibility left. Of course, after 25 you have to divide in slightly different amounts, i.e. 13/12 and so on. As a result, there's a 7/16 chance to get the answer in 6 tries, otherwise it takes 7.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Puzzle TR02: Suppose that you arrange the numbers from One to One Billion in alphabetical order. The words "a" and "and" do not appear anywhere in this list. What is the number immediately preceding Five?

I might be missing something, but I think it is 15222. Fifteen is right before five. Then it's either thousand or million (well, or hundred if you allow 'fifteen hundred' as a pronunciation). Thousand is the furthest along the alphabet. After that it's a question of making the rest go as far back the alphabet as possible, and 'two' (and 'twenty') does that trick.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some general remarks.

First of all, for the hamster game, it seems that he favours the apple over all other items, but the other items are equal. What happens if you have two non-apple items an equal distance away from him?

Secondly, does the third hint for the golfing puzzle really say 'feet' while the question is in meters?

And third, the answer to the voting puzzle is 40/3 = 13.3, round up = 14. It doesn't matter if the candidates vote for themselves. Those hints seem to make the puzzle unnecessarily complicated, without changing the answer.

E: Typo.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 1, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

The voting puzzle asks how many votes a candidate needs to "secure" victory. In other words, the smallest number of votes such that the candidate wins no matter how the other votes are cast. You can't assume that the remaining votes are evenly split between the other two candidates, but must find a value such that regardless of the split of the remaining votes, the chosen candidate will always win. The point in the counting at which the candidate can safely stop paying attention to the reports and start the victory party while the remaining votes are counted.

...You are right. I thought about that for a second and decided it wouldn't matter, but thinking about it again, it does.

Without taking the hints in account, this would mean that you could end up at the situation where the winner has 21 votes, 2nd place has 19 and the loser has 0 votes. So in that case the answer would be 21. But the hints say that each of the candidates vote for themselves, so those votes cancel each other, leaving us with 37 votes that matter. 37 / 2, rounding up, means that the winner needs 19 'actual' votes, plus his own vote, makes 20 votes when he can start celebrating. In that case the 2nd place has 19 votes total, while the loser has 1 vote (his own).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

51: It's a hard one, but the answer is B. A has a shortened eyebrow, while the vertical bar in the background of C is smaller, just look at were the ear is in relation to the white bar within the black bar.

44 Green gets caught, it loops around the part of the big rope where the knot will be. Yellow is a bit difficult, but looking at it more carefully, it stays in front of the big rope and behind the green one at all times at the right side, while it goes behind the big rope on the left side, but there it's past where the knot gets. That little 'eye' it seems to pass through on the left is an illusion that wouldn't be there if you'd look at it from any other direction, and won't be part of the knot. Blue is clearly uninvolved. The answer is 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

Yes, yes it is. I have a theory on why that is, but I can't say right now; give it a few updates.

Here, a quick game to play if you're bored: by my count, 35 named characters have been introduced to us. How many names can you actually recall without looking back through updates?

Inspector Gadget, the hamster, and the rich woman with the dogchild.

• Locked thread