Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

There's manga about everything, but since most of the people that read manga/watch anime are nerds, only a very small number of genres enter the otaku mainstream. One genre that is left out is sports manga. Sports manga is one of the oldest genres, but the least read outside of Japan. We will fix that, at least on this forum.

I will categorize them by sport and popularity and give some notable examples.

Baseball
The big motherfucker. Baseball was introduced to the Japanese islands in the early 20th century through barnstorming tours conducted by American teams like the New York Yankees. During the post-WWII occupation, the American servicemen brought their love of baseball to occupied Japan, and the fanatical love of baseball has never left them. The only comparisons to how much Japan loves baseball are American football in the US, soccer in Brazil and ice hockey in Canada. Naturally, this is the sport with the most manga and anime attached to it.

The king of baseball manga is Shinji Mizushima. His two big works, Abu-san and Dokaben are two of the most beloved manga series ever produced. For example, Abu-san started serialization in 1973 and it completed its run in 2014. The main character of Abu-san played for the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, a Japanese pro baseball team, and his #90 was formally retired by the team, even though he doesn't actually exist. Scott McCloud used Dokaben in Reinventing Comics as an example of how to do sports comics art. Mizushima is kind of a big deal.

The other big series that ended recently is Major. I highly recommend this manga to anyone who likes manga and especially to anyone who likes baseball.

Note: Manga about baseball almost always has a pitcher as the main character because the pitcher is seen as the leader of the team. This is different from in the US where the catcher traditionally calls the defense.

Kendo
Kendo is traditional Japanese sword fighting, done with bamboo swords called shinai while wearing armor. It's one of those things that's unique to Japan, no other country on the Earth would have fake sword fighting as a part of high school gym class. (if you had fencing in high school gym please post in this thread so i will add u to the op)

I'm only mentioning this to mention MUSASHI NO KEN the most underrated manga/anime of all time that you should read/watch right now at this second. Seriously, quit reading this thread and read Musashi no Ken. I mean it.

Basketball
I'm only mentioning basketball because of the phenomenon Slam Dunk is worldwide. It's loving crazy. My Chinese roommate, a person who did not particularly like the Japanese, read Chinese Slam Dunk scanlations religiously. If you've ever seen a picture of a fat tumblr chick cosplaying in a basketball jersey and a red pompadour, Slam Dunk is to blame.

Soccer/Football everywhere else
There is one big soccer franchise, Captain Tsubasa (which came to some parts of the world as Flash Kicker). Tsubasa is a manga from the 80s manga boom, and it has popularity that rivals its Weekly Jump costars, JoJo, Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya. Special shoutouts to Giant Killing a manga I have not read but have heard good things about and Whistle! a stupid as gently caress soccer manga that I only remember because I read it in Junior High

Pro Wrestling (yes, I know it's fixed give me a second to explain)
There are only two wrestling manga that matter, Kinnikuman (which came to some parts of the world as Ultimate Muscle) and Tiger Mask. I love Tiger Mask, so sorry Kinnikuman!

Tiger Mask is so loving good you guys. It is so good, there have been 4 real life pro wrestlers to take up the Tiger Mask name/gimmick. Tiger Mask is about beating the poo poo out of bad guys in the name of justice in order to inspire the children. He's such a cultural force that people in Japan anonymously donate to children's charities using the name Naoto Date, the real name of Tiger Mask. Goddamnit I love Tiger Mask so much

Please talk about the sports manga you love and hate. God bless

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ONES I FORGOT:

MOTHER loving PING PONG

What can be said about Ping Pong that hasn't already been said. Both the manga and the anime are stone cold classics out the gate. Please watch Ping Pong it is good and it has the best Christmas episode ever.

Boxing
Hajime no Ippo (released in some of the world as Fighting Spirit). It's one the best ever. It's been going strong since 89, with no signs of stopping. I've never read it, but everyone that has gushes about it incessantly. Ippo has its own thread so you can post to your heart's content there.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085978

TANKS

Girls und Panzer was created by Jesus Christ to bring together a divided world in unity and love. While it is a fine sports anime, it has its own thread so post about it there

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511057

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So what do you consider every martial arts that isn't kendo/wrestling beneath loving soccer of all things

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

is there a skiing/snowboarding manga?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Karuta

You have to remember these poems, that an announcer reads aloud. The poems are on cards are laid out between two players, and the first person to remove the correct card from play gets the point.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

So what do you consider every martial arts that isn't kendo/wrestling beneath loving soccer of all things

Because soccer is the number 1 sport in the world, stair master

Gihon posted:

is there a skiing/snowboarding manga?

Nononono and Snow Dolphin are about skiing and I can't find anything about snowboarding sorry :(

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Where's ippo?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bonus hole boy posted:

Where's ippo?

i will fix that

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

i will fix that

im glad you remembered ping pong because ofc that was a manga first

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Where's Shamoe

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Explain to me what that is, I can't find anything online about it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Poll: do you think that things like kurata, go, shogi and mah jong are sports and should they be included?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

shamo is the tale of a guy who killed his parents, went to prison learns karate, and becomes a talented mma fighter through a combination of raw dedication but mostly lies and cheating

e:also he bites a dudes dick off

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Poll: do you think that things like kurata, go, shogi and mah jong are sports and should they be included?

Isn't there already a tabletop games thread?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eyeshield 21 was a good manga that I enjoyed and is probably one of the better Shonen series I have read. I've got no idea how it measures up as a Sports manga though because it was about the mythical sport of American Football, which is not the same as regular Football so who knows how any of that works.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eyeshield 21 was a good manga that I enjoyed and is probably one of the better Shonen series I have read. I've got no idea how it measures up as a Sports manga though because it was about the mythical sport of American Football, which is not the same as regular Football so who knows how any of that works.

As a manga fan I like it, but as a football fan it is completely ridiculous. It has really bad gently caress ups like saying that Notre Dame is a high school and saying that a 4 second 40 yard dash is standard for a sprinter when in reality that would make you the fastest human ever.

Plus the creators are Eagles fans so they can suck a dick

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 16, 2015

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I always thought Notre Dame being a high school was just part of Hiruma's constant stream of bullshit. Also the last arc of Eyeshield 21 really reeks of "oops the manga got canceled, better finish up as fast as possible!" That said, I think it's pretty exciting even when everyone is a ridiculous superhuman.

Ippo has its own thread. It's also been really bad for the last few years. Up until around chapter 700 or so it's really good (if really over the top) sports manga, but it's taken a pretty severe nosedive since then with a lot of really bad writing and the plot totally stagnating.

Slam Dunk owns.

Also I'd like to mention All-Rounder Meguru and Teppu, which are both fairly realistic mixed martial arts manga in a sports setting. Teppuu focuses on women's MMA and inverts a lot of the usual character dynamics that show up in sports manga; Meguru is more straightforward (and focuses more on men, although there are several characters who are women, including the main character's trainer) but both are really good, even if you're not overly into MMA. There's a thread for Teppu that had people discussing Meguru occasionally, but the lack of updates for either one kind of killed it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eyeshield 21 loving owns.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like One Outs, its about baseball.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

shamo is the tale of a guy who killed his parents, went to prison learns karate, and becomes a talented mma fighter through a combination of raw dedication but mostly lies and cheating

e:also he bites a dudes dick off

It just ended a couple of days ago. The finale was arguably what it should have been, but opinions are mixed on the execution from what I have seen.

homeless snail posted:

I like One Outs, its about baseball.

Enjoyed that one a lot! Liar game by the same author is ending soon too if you follow that.

A lot of things I like are ending :(

coathat
May 21, 2007

What planet are you from OP? I mean talking about baseball manga without Adachi Mitsuru. Pathetic.

And you didnt even mention Tankery, the most elegant of all sporting contests.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do not read this it's by the dude who did Elfen Lied and everything creepy about Elfen Lied gradually seeps into this until it is unreadable.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd argue yes, include anything where the basic synopsis is based around a sport or similar competition-based hobby and the main thrust of the manga is a character working his/her way through it.

Also thanks for making this thread dude, good sports manga done well rules but it's hard to search through reams of crap for good ones.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 16, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Especially given the thread title, Rookies really needs a shout out here.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Description of an infamious episode of the late 1960s adaptaion of Star of the Giants, the first sports manga anime adaption, from Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements. The entire episode consists of one pitch and one hit:

quote:

[The episode] builds the tension on the pitcher’s mound, as the pitcher draws back his arm and throws the ball. Exploiting the potentially infinite camera positions available to animators, the script zooms in and out of multiple perspectives — the inner monologue of the pitcher himself and the calculating throughs of the batter he faces; the commentary of the excitable journalists in the outside-broadcast booth; viewers at home yelling at the television; fans in the bleachers; team members on both sides; the pitchers father and dewey-eyed love interest. Coupled with shots of the arena, sudden zooms and splitscreen effects, flashbacks and voiceovers, the sequence occupies the entire first half of the episode, cutting to the commercial break just as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. After the commercials, the episode continues with a similar hyperreal deformation of time, pursuing the ball’s trajectory towards the batter, the bat’s connection with the ball, and the frenzy of action among both teams as the batter hits a homerun.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hear there's cute guys in some of these manga confirm/deny?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hear there's cute guys in some of these manga confirm/deny?

I recommend you check out FREE! a completely straight series about not gay swimmers doing not gay things together

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Rookies fuckin owns so hard. That was the image that got me started reading the manga.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

unseenlibrarian posted:

Rookies is good as gently caress and filled me with hot-blooded passion, which is IMO the most important thing a sports manga can do

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is a cool post ww2 womens baseball manga which you'd like as a history dude
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tetsuwan-Girl

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Things that I've learned from making this thread: Tiger Mask has both an Italian and Arabic dub

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

what is this from

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PrinceRandom posted:

what is this from

Eyeshield 21, that's Hiruma, the QB.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

what is this from
that guy had a really broken support attack in jump ultimate stars

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Eyeshield 21, that's Hiruma, the QB.

The helmet almost looks like the Texans Helmet so I'm a fan

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

coathat posted:

What planet are you from OP? I mean talking about baseball manga without Adachi Mitsuru. Pathetic.

And you didnt even mention Tankery, the most elegant of all sporting contests.

Every now and then I pop in an episode of Touch and just let the 80s wash over me.

Some day I will reach the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chihayafuru is the best sports anime/manga

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The Devil Tesla posted:

Description of an infamious episode of the late 1960s adaptaion of Star of the Giants, the first sports manga anime adaption, from Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements. The entire episode consists of one pitch and one hit:
That sounds loving awesome.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Here's all the sports manga that I can think of that are getting new chapters translated fairly often:

Haikyuu!!(volleyball)
Short kid sees an older short kid playing in a volleyball tournament and falls in love with the game, eventually joining the team he saw which has since gone downhill. Great art and a good sense of humor.

Big Windup/Ookiku Furikabutte(baseball)
Extremely neurotic kid with perfect control joins a team of all first years because he thinks he couldn't be pitcher without their catcher. Goes deep enough on each player's thought process that you feel like every single player on every team has a real personality.

Ace of the Diamond(baseball)
Ace of a crappy team who throws a weird pitch gets recruited by an elite school. Kind of unusual in that the main character's team isn't really ever the underdog, although he is. Really good at building tension.

Baby Steps(tennis)
A nerd who's obsessed with documenting things starts playing tennis to get some exercise and decides it's what he wants to do with the rest of his life. Goes extremely deep on tennis strategy.

Hinomaru Zumo(sumo)
A short kid who used to be a champion but got his rear end kicked in junior high has trained nonstop for two years and is now trying to make a comeback and start a team in highschool. Problem is, nobody at his school gives a poo poo about sumo except, like, one guy.

Angel Voice(soccer)
A bunch of delinquents are convinced to form a soccer team. Pretty much Rookies but with soccer and less drama.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Giant Killing is an awesome manga. And it looks like there is a new group that has been churning out new chapters lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ashita no Joe is great and also crazy influential. It's more of a drama series than a straight sports series though, and the anime takes 13 episodes before there's even any boxing. That said, you come to care for so many of the characters and it's some grade-A boxing action. Both the manga and the anime are fully translated which is usually an issue with older sports series. It's also constantly referenced in other series, and soon you won't be able to stop seeing the references.

Ring ni Kakero is almost the opposite of Ashita no Joe, it's all boxing all the time. It runs on shonen battle physics, with punches cutting like knives and people shooting energy blasts with their fists. Everything about it is crazy and over the top. One of the boxers only fights with his left hand because his right was disabled in a training accident. There's an entire society of Shadow Boxers who seek to destroy professional boxing through force. The German boxers are all dressed like nazis and follow the leadership of their best boxer, Fuhrer Skorpion. Italy's best boxer is a straight up mobster obsessed with the concept of "cool". If you like manga/anime where dudes punch the gently caress out of each other, you could do worse than to read/watch Ring ni Kakero.

Smoking Crow posted:

Kendo
Kendo is traditional Japanese sword fighting, done with bamboo swords called shinai while wearing armor. It's one of those things that's unique to Japan, no other country on the Earth would have fake sword fighting as a part of high school gym class. (if you had fencing in high school gym please post in this thread so i will add u to the op)

I'm only mentioning this to mention MUSASHI NO KEN the most underrated manga/anime of all time that you should read/watch right now at this second. Seriously, quit reading this thread and read Musashi no Ken. I mean it.

I am very interested in watching/reading this, but the only translation I can find is lacking, to say the least. I'm also curious if you know of any ways to watch Tiger Mask in english!

• Locked thread