Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Doctor Goat posted:

In a Tales game, I'm never going to pick the wizard, because they're boring. The AI can have the wizard.

The exception to this rule is Rita, who owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Dexters Secret posted:

what if instead of lightning coming out of my finger tips and frying my enemies in a spectacular lightshow that exhibits the game's stellar graphics, i shoot at them with pointy sticks

hmm what if they're cool pointy sticks, like they explode, or make poison clouds, or grapple targets together

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

being a magick archer in dragon's dogma was awesome

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sharrrk posted:

being a magick archer in dragon's dogma was awesome
Every class in Dragon's Dogma was awesome.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

hmm what if they're cool pointy sticks, like they explode, or make poison clouds, or grapple targets together

i almost never see this in video games, yet people still pick archer for some reason. idgi.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Archery is useful if you need to douse a torch at the other end of a room, or lay down some moss to sneak on.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Gotta be honest, I only play the Thief guy or the Cleric/Paladin guy. Archer guy can get hosed, though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sometimes sword guys are just more badass or less tedious, I find, OP. Seeya.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
"hmm, i think i want to not be the person who can shoot eye lasers and teleport around" said a person who likes making the worst decisions always

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

one thing i didn't like about dark souls 2 was that they changed the scythe to a more realistic version where its a piece of poo poo and extremely bad for fighting

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Archery is useful if you need to douse a torch at the other end of a room, or lay down some moss to sneak on.

The archery in Thief 2 is epic but pretty much the entire game is built around using the bow to be a sneaky little poo poo.

In pretty much every other game all a bow does is shoot pointy sticks.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorcerer was pretty boring to play as. Yeah I can make bitchin tornados and earthquakes but I have to stand around for literally two minutes hoping no one brains me to do it.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

Sorcerer was pretty boring to play as. Yeah I can make bitchin tornados and earthquakes but I have to stand around for literally two minutes hoping no one brains me to do it.

then play a mystic knight/archer you big baby.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I use a 2handed uhh hammer I think in Dragon Doge.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

then play a mystic knight/archer you big baby.

i played every class, its the only game I've ever platinumed. And yeah magic archer's obviously the best class it has lasers and being the human torch.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I much prefer healing mans or mans strong in faith with big fuckoff hammers.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I use a 2handed uhh hammer I think in Dragon Doge.

Dude, 2h Hammers FTW.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
sneaky assassin dude w/ illusion magic - best class forever

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Dude, 2h Hammers FTW.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Das Butterbrot posted:

sneaky assassin dude w/ illusion magic - best class forever

I have to agree.

Everybody knows rogues end up doing more damage than warriors by the end anyways :smuggo:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
a warrior with a magic weapon: the best of both worlds

maybe it talks too or something...

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Black Baby Goku posted:

a warrior with a magic weapon: the best of both worlds

maybe it talks too or something...

so the main character from tales of destiny and also every character from that game i think

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
bards are so GOOD (not bad at all!) with their instruments they will kill everyone with the sound of music.

Who needs a sword or magic when you have that kind of power? Unless it's a magical artifact that a bard can use, like a magical staff that shoots super compressed air magically.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tom Powers posted:

bards are so GOOD (not bad at all!) with their instruments they will kill everyone with the sound of music.

Who needs a sword or magic when you have that kind of power? Unless it's a magical artifact that a bard can use, like a magical staff that shoots super compressed air magically.

Bards are silly bitches, and the closest thing that rpgs have to a jester.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Thundercaller bards in pathfinder are pretty legit I must admit. I'm actually playing one in a game right now!

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

more like tards !!!!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Kylra posted:

Thundercaller bards in pathfinder are pretty legit I must admit. I'm actually playing one in a game right now!

I'm sorry you have to play pathfinder.

4E and 13A bards are totally legit thou

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Cathulhu posted:

I'm sorry you have to play pathfinder.

4E and 13A bards are totally legit thou
Thundercallers can basically chain stun everything by casting three 9d8 soundbursts per round that are supernatural and thus aren't affected by spell resistance. And they can do this for quite some time since each activation uses a bardic song count.

Per raw anyway. Technically.

Fus Roh Dah.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also one of these times I am going to find a reason to summon a piano or something and drop it on someone with the summon instrument cantrip. That I can cast as much as I want all day.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It's insane to me that some people pick the [Wild Boy] over the [Wicked Wandsman].

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

hmm everyone keeps mentioning Dragon's Dogma but I've never played it...

*notices a sale on Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PSN Store for $16*

hell yes

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

why not both op

cleric

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

killing thousand of kobolds with lightning and fireballs

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

you don't know what insanity is op. real madness.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Dexters Secret posted:

hmm everyone keeps mentioning Dragon's Dogma but I've never played it...

*notices a sale on Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PSN Store for $16*

hell yes

Flying into freeeeeee

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

sword guys are cool when they get lots of different moves and you have to actively parry and counter and such. arrow guys are sometimes cool whne the game doesnt just have you stand in the back plinking away, but instead has you in the thick of the action rapidly switching between melee and bow, dodging dudes and putting an arrow in their gay skull at point blank range then switch to your blade, parry and riposte the next guy etc. magic guys are cool when you actually have cool spells with wildly different effects, not just different colored fireballs.

Butlers Delight
Jul 11, 2004

NO LONGER A 24 YEAR OLD VIRGIN GUYS!

Scyther posted:

sword guys are cool when they get lots of different moves and you have to actively parry and counter and such. arrow guys are sometimes cool whne the game doesnt just have you stand in the back plinking away, but instead has you in the thick of the action rapidly switching between melee and bow, dodging dudes and putting an arrow in their gay skull at point blank range then switch to your blade, parry and riposte the next guy etc. magic guys are cool when you actually have cool spells with wildly different effects, not just different colored fireballs.

I disagree.

Dec 26, 2012

how do you still have forums cancer lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butlers Delight
Jul 11, 2004

NO LONGER A 24 YEAR OLD VIRGIN GUYS!
haven't really posted since ycs was closed

• Locked thread