Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
He will be in remission soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

good

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Surviving cancer gives you %100 resist common disease as well as %100 resist Blight.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I like picking the sword guy if you get a huge awesome weapon, like in Dark Souls when you hit things with the R2 on the Black Knight Greatsword.

Big spells are satisfying, but not nearly AS satisfying.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What games have good paladins/clerics? In that most recent games I've played, the dual role nature of warrior/healer was so extreme that they weren't really good at either and just felt kind of weak.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What games have good paladins/clerics? In that most recent games I've played, the dual role nature of warrior/healer was so extreme that they weren't really good at either and just felt kind of weak.

paladins are and always will be extremely lame

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SombereroLad posted:

Flying into freeeeeee

that song's not in Dark Arisen. its bs

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

HP on hit makes healers obsolete for the most part.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

healers are usually unnecessary in video games but many an autism-riddled mind nervously highlight their triple digit potion count and cringe, thinking they might need them later

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't like instant healing as a concept vs. preemptive healing over time and life stealing

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
id rather chug a murky potion than bring along some human being with a flail in my group

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

if it's a game where i have to like craft potions then i'd rather have a healer than have to mix poo poo, but otherwise i am in agreement about not wanting a dedicated healer

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
But a dedicated healer means you don't have to waste time chugging pots and have more time to stab people. Let the stupid medic worry about hp.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
But it means encounters have to be designed assuming you have a healbitch hanging around casting stuff which is a waste

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
i will play a magic guy if the game has a spell that is quick to cast and does deece dmg

nothin like walking into a room and blasting a baddie away !!

example of good magic guy that i would play yes:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Skeleton King posted:

i will play a magic guy if the game has a spell that is quick to cast and does deece dmg

nothin like walking into a room and blasting a baddie away !!

example of good magic guy that i would play yes:

that guy looks BA

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i can hit a freaking dragon so hard with my hammer that it dies instantly... fairly more epic than reading poo poo out of a book or whatever

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i can hit a freaking dragon so hard with my hammer that it dies instantly... fairly more epic than reading poo poo out of a book or whatever

they can freeze the dragon from head to tail and shatter it with a giant boulder, thats way cooler than just smacking a hammer against it

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Being a healer can be cool. For example, you can be the guy who silently protects you teammates and saves them from certain death.

That being said, it's usually a really boring and lame job and games would probably be better off removing them.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
buff/antibuff guy is cool, regen as a buff is cool instead of healing

SMT buffs and debuffs are cool because they don't last long so you can have someone who's having to constantly cycle buffs unless you get like, Heat Riser

Seizure from FF6 is a cool anti-regen, poison is kind of lame but fits turn based more

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

those are Persona buffs. SMT buffs/debuffs last until canceled by Dekaja/Dekunda.

I always have a dedicated buffer and debuffer in SMT.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mainline SMT buffs/debuffs are extremely good.

Dragon Quest is another game that has really powerful buffs/debuffs, to the point where any late game or moderately difficult boss fight will regularly purge them. They're still good enough to put up because Oomph is very good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What do you call a wizard with no mp?

Stupid poo poo guy.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

What do you call a wizard with no mp?

Stupid poo poo guy.

sorry if you cant manage your resources, its a coveted skill we true gamers have :cheers:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dexters Secret posted:

hmm everyone keeps mentioning Dragon's Dogma but I've never played it...

*notices a sale on Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PSN Store for $16*

hell yes

dont play a warrior (fighter is fine and fun and uses devil may cry moves). they only get to use 3 skills, all of them are garbage, and the only way for them to be effective is to do nothing but basic jumping attacks

every other class owns. strider->assassin is probably best if you want the most variation since they are good at swords, daggers, bows, and climbing monsters. mages/sorcerers take a little while to get to the non-lame as gently caress spells but sorcs can cast the coolest poo poo in any video game eventually

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Vargs posted:

dont play a warrior (fighter is fine and fun and uses devil may cry moves). they only get to use 3 skills, all of them are garbage, and the only way for them to be effective is to do nothing but basic jumping attacks

every other class owns. strider->assassin is probably best if you want the most variation since they are good at swords, daggers, bows, and climbing monsters. mages/sorcerers take a little while to get to the non-lame as gently caress spells but sorcs can cast the coolest poo poo in any video game eventually

now thats what im talkin about

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Vargs posted:

drat. I bet if i was an ant that little rear end gif would be epic.

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Scyther posted:

sword guys are cool when they get lots of different moves and you have to actively parry and counter and such. arrow guys are sometimes cool whne the game doesnt just have you stand in the back plinking away, but instead has you in the thick of the action rapidly switching between melee and bow, dodging dudes and putting an arrow in their gay skull at point blank range then switch to your blade, parry and riposte the next guy etc. magic guys are cool when you actually have cool spells with wildly different effects, not just different colored fireballs.

nice fanfic pal

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

nice fanfic pal

uh

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

that doesn't read anything like a fan fiction. i think you are making things up to try and look cool.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Greetings brother.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Vargs posted:

Being a warrior is fine since you can still jump on people and do epic poo poo that way.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

drat. I bet if i was an ant that little rear end gif would be epic.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Dexters Secret posted:

hail gamer, you can either be this dude that swings a sword around or you can be this guy that throws exploding fireballs from his hands and can turn people's blood into delicious healing energy

i mean come on guys

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Being a warrior is fine since you can still jump on people and do epic poo poo that way.

yeah if you wanna climb around slowly with little stamina and have no attacks other than using a 2 damage hilt bash over and over, the least cool way to kill a dragon possible

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Vargs posted:

you dumb mother fucker

the power slam with a hammer is the best skill

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vargs posted:

yeah if you wanna climb around slowly with little stamina and have no attacks other than using a 2 damage hilt bash over and over, the least cool way to kill a dragon possible

It owned in Shadow of the Colossus

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In Dark Souls it's way easier to kite enemies like a little bitch than actually figure out the proper timings and parry poo poo right up in their faces.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I climbed around an cyclops and stabbed its eye out and made it run off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Wormskull posted:

I climbed around an cyclops and stabbed its eye out and made it run off a cliff.

dude, nice

• Locked thread