Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Hello
I'm a moron that can't figure out how to get my sons bearded dragon right.
We bought this terrarium and added the lights recommended by the store.
1 x CFL UV light
1 x 100w basking light
1x Ceramic bulb (maybe 100w)

This wasn't quite getting the temperatures high enough, so we added a 125w mercury bulb in an 8" dome
This was a bit too much, so now we keep the basking light off and just used the 125 mercury bulb.

For a while everything was going well and he was eating great. He shed a couple days ago, but still hasn't really gotten his appetite back and he is stressed a lot.

While the temps are pretty good I am having a hard time getting the basking spot warm enough, and still have a cool spot below say 85 degrees. Maybe too much of the UV light is getting blocked by the screen up top? I don't know,

I also have a 160w mercury bulb but I haven't used it.

Here are some pics to show the enclosure and current set up.

https://imgur.com/a/xz043sr

I highly doubt the uv light is doing any good at that height with the tiny screen in the way. The easiest thing you could do is add some vertical space for the duder to climb. This will get you a nice basking spot and a perch without screwing with the lights/heating elements more.

Was it a full shed, or is it possible it's not complete yet which is causing some discomfort?

E: The tank being really tall and having a small footprint is your biggest obstacle to having a hot side and a cool side. The screen is your enemy for the uv. Personally I don't use the CFL uv bulbs, I use fluorescent based on recommendations from elsewhere, but I honestly don't know if it matters all that much so long as what you have is putting off the right light. I made the top on mine out of hardware cloth, and it hasn't done me or my beardie wrong. Chicken wire would be fine too, so long as you don't have to worry about large bugs getting into the terrarium.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I can’t imagine this is a comfortable way to drink water but hey, I’m not a lizard so what do I know?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is the smuggest lizard I have ever seen, thank you for sharing. What a goofy little guy you have there.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My baby hognose bit me tonight for the first time but she let me go after realizing that I am not tasty! THE TINIEST CHOMP.

She ate three pinkies tonight, such a big girl. :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oops hognoses are mildly venomous and now my hand is swollen (not badly but still a lesson learned)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

my cat is norris posted:

oops hognoses are mildly venomous and now my hand is swollen (not badly but still a lesson learned)

I'll be honest, I was waiting for that.

Keep an eye on it, if it doesn't get better soon consider a trip to a medical facility. If it gets very bad go straight to the ER. Some people have an anaphylactic response.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Gonta taking a shower

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've got a question about keeping Green Snakes as a pet, specifically the rough or smooth green snakes native to North America. Some sites say they are a beginner pet and no problem at all, while some say they are an intermediate pet. From what I can tell, it's easy to keep them the alive and care for them, they just don't like to be handled too much and that's why some places don't consider them a good beginner pet. I'm aware they need a bigger(taller) cage because they need to climb to be happy. Is there something else I'm missing here about them or is that basically it?

Also I posted this in Critterquest but check out this watersnake I found the other day at the lake. More photos in the link. He bit me because he liked me I think

https://imgur.com/a/z85LYWb

Sorry to reply to this super loving late. Regarding green snakes, I've never kept one, but colubrids in general aren't difficult to care for. Green snakes are kind of odd as far as diet, because they eat insects. Is that why you're considering them? To avoid dealing with rodents?

Keep in mind captive vs wild caught. When you're looking at the less common species, like green snakes, you're going to have a much harder time finding a captive bred animal. It's certainly an ethical consideration, but beyond that it's much more challenging to keep wild caught exotics. They're very prone to stress, they're not as healthy, might have parasites, etc.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'll be honest, I was waiting for that.

Keep an eye on it, if it doesn't get better soon consider a trip to a medical facility. If it gets very bad go straight to the ER. Some people have an anaphylactic response.

It's been overnight so I think I'm out of any danger regarding an allergic response, but I'm going to keep an eye on the swelling for sure. Breeder told me it should be back to normal in a day or two.

I love threads like these where such misadventures in pet care can be shared and appreciated. :shobon:

I'll take this hoggy chomp over the ball's bite any day...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

my cat is norris posted:

It's been overnight so I think I'm out of any danger regarding an allergic response, but I'm going to keep an eye on the swelling for sure. Breeder told me it should be back to normal in a day or two.
Uuuuh, yeah, about that...

https://ourreptileforum.com/community/threads/hognose-envenomation.2211/

quote:

The swelling went halfway up my forearm! My finger, and the back of my hand went numb, and there was damage to the capillaries due to the extreme swelling. This took about two weeks to get over.
That might take a bit longer than you think, if you're unlucky.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Soak your hand in hot water, as hot as you can without burning. That can speed up denaturing a lot of insect venom proteins and separate chemical bonds between receptors and venom, not sure how it works for hog but prolly worth a try if it hurts.

Remember that hots are hots, kiddos.

snake and bake posted:

They're very prone to stress, they're not as healthy, might have parasites, etc.

Assume they will have some parasites, honestly.

CB is by far the best. If OP hates mice and wants a snake that eats other poo poo he should consider any of the small North American worm/bug/fish eating snakes that are commonly and cheaply bred, often in many lovely and diverse color morphs.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Agreed. I was going to suggest looking at garters or ribbon snakes if they want a snake that doesn't eat rodents. I know there are breeders working with garters because there's a lot of locality variation. The west coast garters are especially stunning. Check out this red-spotted garter from Oregon, the California red-sided garter, and the striped San Francisco garter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Crickets and such are usually sold live, as opposed to pinkies, which you typically buy frozen. People who do not enjoy handling living insects should think twice before getting one of these, because they will escape from you every so often. Personal experience speaking here: those little bastards get noisy at night once you have dropped a few of them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Crickets and such are usually sold live, as opposed to pinkies, which you typically buy frozen. People who do not enjoy handling living insects should think twice before getting one of these, because they will escape from you every so often. Personal experience speaking here: those little bastards get noisy at night once you have dropped a few of them.

gently caress crickets. I only feed bug larvae. gently caress crickets. I will not have them in my home.

snake and bake posted:

Agreed. I was going to suggest looking at garters or ribbon snakes if they want a snake that doesn't eat rodents. I know there are breeders working with garters because there's a lot of locality variation. The west coast garters are especially stunning. Check out this red-spotted garter from Oregon, the California red-sided garter, and the striped San Francisco garter.

There are lots of designer garter morphs. Leucs, pastels, etc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Aren't hoggies rear fanged? How long did she chomp on you for?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They're not really 'fanged' at all. They do not have a hollow injection fang the way viperidae or elapidae do. What they have is a Duvernoy's gland that has a sort of... disputed use, because it's not largely all that useful for prey-catching. They sort of have to chew the venom in, but it runs along all of their teeth. The 'rear fangs' are just the ones that are most well-suited to applying it. Colubrid venom is more like a very hostile form of saliva.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

snake and bake posted:

Both of those california garters are endangered, is it legal to buy them, even from breeders?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cowslips Warren posted:

Aren't hoggies rear fanged? How long did she chomp on you for?

She was on me for less than a minute. She chomped hard in search of food, but let go as quickly as she could once she realized I was not actually food.

Edit/update: Fingat still sore but swelling considerably down.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 19, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1284946713195589633

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Both of those california garters are endangered, is it legal to buy them, even from breeders?

Oh, I didn't know that, sorry. Here's a breeder that sells California red-sided, but apparently he can't sell them to CA residents.

Always a good idea to check your state's laws regarding specific reptile species. I think IL can't keep hognose? I know FL has a lot of species restrictions. They just banned tegus and iguanas as of July 1st.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

snake and bake posted:

Oh, I didn't know that, sorry. Here's a breeder that sells California red-sided, but apparently he can't sell them to CA residents.

Always a good idea to check your state's laws regarding specific reptile species. I think IL can't keep hognose? I know FL has a lot of species restrictions. They just banned tegus and iguanas as of July 1st.

Errrrrr, I don't think that guy is still breeding. Last price list is 2015. I looked up his public FB, and the only pic of any snake is over a year old.

Yeah, you can have protected species depending on a few things. For example, if something is state endangered you can have it if you're in any other state. For federal stuff, generally I *think* there's some paperwork and a permit you can get along with proof from a breeder its captive bred (I was looking into this years ago as I eventually want an Eastern Indigo).

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well, Noodle died last night. It was pretty sudden, he was acting normal as ever this week up until near afternoon yesterday when I attempted to feed him. He tensed up when I brought the mouse to him and then started acting strange. Gave him a bit before attempting to feed again and more of the same. He was due for a shed and had been acting like that was about to happen so I placed him back in his enclosure.

He started stargazing last night, passed in the early hours. We're all pretty heartbroken, I def cried this morning as we laid him to rest.

Not sure what went wrong. His temps and humidity were always good, fed on time, not handled extremely frequently nor handled roughly, no way for anything to get into the enclosure with him. I know it's not always something that can be figured out, but I can't help it right now.

Not getting another snake anytime soon, both because I just can't imagine that right now and that's not even going into unemployment making only the bare necessities something to put money towards.

Hug your herps for me.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sorry for poor Noodle. Herps are too good at hiding illness, so a lot of the time when they show signs it's too late. :sympathy:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, it's that part that is really difficult for me to parse I think. I KNOW when any of the dogs are feeling off, but drat yesterday came out of nowhere with Noodle.

In other news, Sunny has been going strong for over 3 years and was unimpressed with my refilling of his water dish today. His side eye game was on point. Still the smuggest fucker of all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Yeah, it's that part that is really difficult for me to parse I think. I KNOW when any of the dogs are feeling off, but drat yesterday came out of nowhere with Noodle.

In other news, Sunny has been going strong for over 3 years and was unimpressed with my refilling of his water dish today. His side eye game was on point. Still the smuggest fucker of all.

I was about to say “it’s a mammal thing” but honestly rabbits are totally different from animals like dogs, or even cats, when it comes to showing signs of physical distress. You just gotta think about the ecological and interspecific and conspecific niches these animals occupy and apply a little practical evo bio.

From what I understand, bigger/constrictor snakes like pythons and boas are easier to read than smaller/colubrid snakes, but a lot of that is also due to them being just way more common and therefore better understood as pets.

Sorry for your loss.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for your loss. Animals hide sickness to the point of no return, so so many times.

I lost a Kenyan sand boa and my male albino ball python some time ago. Neither had been acting strange, they were just dead one morning.

And then there is Alien, a ball I've had since 1999, that is apparently stunted because he has never fully bulked out. No idea why, he's been a great eater, even fathered a few clutches, but he's never grown thick.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks all, it really helps. Goons continue to be the best.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Throwing in the sadness train with a "probably gonna die" story.

Mr. Skookum the pinstripe ball, 2 years old, got to visit the ER vet today. Partner noticed him slithering backwards which... isn't a thing snakes do. Pulled him out and he's just flat refusing to hold up his own head. Give him a soak while she looks this up and I can't think what else to do, and he pulls his body back enough to submerge his head and just lays there, head underwater.

Okay, snake is suicidal.

Partner can't find anything online, and he's no better after a soak, so we head to ER. Two hours sitting in the car at the ER 'cause of COVID.
Doc has never seen anything like this. Spinal cord's not severed 'cause he'd be dead. Neck's not broke (which was my guess) because his back end still works - everything three inches back from his head is fine. Confirmed by xray. Also from X-ray: no muscle damage, no cracked vertebrae. There is nothing wrong with this goddamn snake except he can't hold his head up.

Doc says maybe do bloodwork, which could point to some genetic issue but that's not going to be solvable, and his tone says it's just throwing money at the issue. He then mentions driving to the herpetology department at the University of Madison, which ... no.

SO ANYWAY, snake can't swallow, so we'll be watering him via bath once a day and seeing if this is somehow a pinched nerve that sorts itself out. Otherwise it's time to be put down, because starving to death is a hell of a way to go.

Apparently, snake metabolism is so slow that to put them down they inject them in the heart with a heart stopper, then have to keep them under observation for 24 hours to be sure it took.

Thanks for letting me whinge.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm so sorry, that all sounds abysmal to watch go down for your little duder :smith:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah that really sounds awful. Sorry you and the little guy are going through this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's sounds like a horrifying and scary experience, sorry to hear about it. I hope you can manage to find out what the issue is.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
[b]Cardiovorax[/]: doesn't seem likely. He's going to get better or he isn't, but even the doc was using the phrase "best guess."

Thank you all for your kind words.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Dang, bunch of bad news in the herp thread. Poor Noodle and Mr. Skookum. :(

Not sure what the heck happened to Mr. Skookum. I've been deep in the ball hobby for like 15 years now and I have never heard of anything like that. Very strange given the X-rays showed nothing wrong with his neck. Man, that really sucks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I wonder if Mr. Skookum had any Spider Ball in him. Is Spider Wobble something that can manifest later in life?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Seriously gently caress whoever breeds spiders still. The first guys get a pass because no one understood how it happened, but these days it's a known risk.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Miss Huffs-n-puffs herself, Lady Aberlin, the bitey girl.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if Mr. Skookum had any Spider Ball in him. Is Spider Wobble something that can manifest later in life?

Yeah, I've heard of cases where a spider developed wobble later in life.

Spider is a dominant morph, though - and it's a pattern changer, so it's always visual if the snake has it, unless it's hidden in a white-out combo (leucistics, ivory, etc). If Mr. Skookum is a pinstripe, it would be easy to tell if he had spider.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Seriously gently caress whoever breeds spiders still. The first guys get a pass because no one understood how it happened, but these days it's a known risk.

Agreed, spider is a very horribly flawed morph and no responsible breeder should be working with it. I breed but I don't touch spiders. I don't even buy snakes from breeders who work with spiders, because I take it as a sign that the breeder does not care enough about the well-being of their snakes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
From a molecular bio perspective, spider balls (and ball pythons in general) are probably a neuro/model organism goldmine.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
So, news.
We set a hard date of Friday for Skookum: get better or it's head-chopping time. Kind of assumed that's what would happen.

Instead, during his Thursday soak, he stuck his head in the water and drank, instead of just trying to drown himself. He also stuck his tongue out a couple of times, which we hadn't seen since ... whatever happened.

Friday and Saturday were repeats of Thursday. He still can't support his head, but it's improvement.

snake and bake posted:

Yeah, I've heard of cases where a spider developed wobble later in life.

Spider is a dominant morph, though - and it's a pattern changer, so it's always visual if the snake has it, unless it's hidden in a white-out combo (leucistics, ivory, etc). If Mr. Skookum is a pinstripe, it would be easy to tell if he had spider.

No spider, straight pinstripe far as I recall.

Our other ball is a Spider something, got her right around when people were discovering they were a problem. She's never wobbled, but yeah it's not something you can ever stop worrying about.
At least she's gotten a little better at striking. Used to think that was a spider-related thing but seems more like balls are just derpy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Can snakes have strokes or something similar? That overall description (including the show recovery) really feels neurological in nature, but I'm not a vet so this is just going off gut.