Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

TheNothingNew posted:

So, news.
We set a hard date of Friday for Skookum: get better or it's head-chopping time. Kind of assumed that's what would happen.

Instead, during his Thursday soak, he stuck his head in the water and drank, instead of just trying to drown himself. He also stuck his tongue out a couple of times, which we hadn't seen since ... whatever happened.

Friday and Saturday were repeats of Thursday. He still can't support his head, but it's improvement.

No spider, straight pinstripe far as I recall.

Our other ball is a Spider something, got her right around when people were discovering they were a problem. She's never wobbled, but yeah it's not something you can ever stop worrying about.
At least she's gotten a little better at striking. Used to think that was a spider-related thing but seems more like balls are just derpy as hell.

I'm glad to hear that he's showing a little improvement. Really hope it's something like a sprained muscle or pinched nerve that will resolve with time. Poor fella. :(

I have a pinstripe too. First morph I ever bought, so pinstripe will always have a special place in my heart. Still one of my favorites. Mine's a 10 year old big boi now (2400g) but he's super shy, which is kind of hilarious and adorable considering how big he is.

BPs are exceedingly derpy, but spiders are pretty notorious for being lousy at striking even if they don't have other wobble symptoms.

If you feed frozen/thawed, make sure those rodents are very warm (like 95-100 degrees) when you offer them. Ball pythons are alerted by scent, but they can't target on smell and can't see worth a poo poo, so they use their heat pits to guide their strikes.

my cat is norris posted:

Can snakes have strokes or something similar? That overall description (including the show recovery) really feels neurological in nature, but I'm not a vet so this is just going off gut.

I don't see why a snake couldn't have a stroke, but it's hard to say. Ball pythons always heal slowly in my experience. But they're also very resilient.

I've seen a number of them recover from the brink of death due to malnourishent or severe injuries. I had one rescue come to me nearly dead, literally a skeleton, with his skin sloughing right off in places under many layers of old shed. I never expected him to survive, but somehow he did.

On the other hand, sometimes we lose them and even with a necropsy, we may never know why. Last year my beautiful and sweet ivory male passed suddenly. He showed no symptoms, was eating fine and everything. Just found him dead one morning. :sigh: Broke my drat heart because he was far and away my favorite. He was my ambassador snake because he won the heart of everyone who ever met him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They can have strokes, but much of what causes strokes in humans is an aging effect that causes blockages in your brain's circulation. The build-up of that plaque is mostly incredibly slow due to being based on chemical factors rather than biological ones, so animals (which mostly just don't live that long) rarely suffer from strokes for the same reason human children don't: it actually takes 45+ years to get there, to the point where less than one in twenty stroke victims is ever younger than that.

Elephants and particularly long-lived turtles and tortoises might be at risk, so but only the latter is really of any interest to pet owners.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cardiovorax posted:

They can have strokes, but much of what causes strokes in humans is an aging effect that causes blockages in your brain's circulation. The build-up of that plaque is mostly incredibly slow due to being based on chemical factors rather than biological ones, so animals (which mostly just don't live that long) rarely suffer from strokes for the same reason human children don't: it actually takes 45+ years to get there, to the point where less than one in twenty stroke victims is ever younger than that.

Elephants and particularly long-lived turtles and tortoises might be at risk, so but only the latter is really of any interest to pet owners.

It probably helps that animals like tortoises and elephants aren’t eating the sorts of diets that contribute to arterial narrowing and blockage.

Worth noting that whales are extremely long-lived too, and eat almost entirely carnivorous diets. Not all cetaceans are extremely long lived though, harbor porpoises live fast and die fast (11 is old for a harbor porpoise)

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

snake and bake posted:

BPs are exceedingly derpy, but spiders are pretty notorious for being lousy at striking even if they don't have other wobble symptoms.

If you feed frozen/thawed, make sure those rodents are very warm (like 95-100 degrees) when you offer them. Ball pythons are alerted by scent, but they can't target on smell and can't see worth a poo poo, so they use their heat pits to guide their strikes.

Solid advice, up there with the one that took me too long to figure out: turn the heat lamp off before feeding. Oops.

Comforting to know they heal slowly, too. It's been another week and we might have intentional forward movement, but I'm not sure.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Or not.

I regret to inform you all that Mr. Skookum has died.
He is survived by the spider ball Lady Beryllium and Mr. Tesseract the corn snake.
Ah well.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Apologies, that sucks. :sadwave:

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

drat. I'm sorry. :rip: Mr. Skookum.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Poor Skookum. I'm sorry. :(

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Went hiking at the Walensee (Switzerland) yesterday and almost stepped on this cutie

We think we can ID it as Zamenis longissimus. Looks like it just ate something and that's why it was to lazy to move further from the trail. There's plenty of lizards in that area, guess that's how it got so fat.

Here in it's full length

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello it's me with the giant swollen finger because Miss Sweet and Gentle thought she'd have another go at eating me alive!!!

She was seriously so tender and gentle and just hanging out in my hand and then CHOMP.

Love her, though. :kimchi:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Hello it's me with the giant swollen finger because Miss Sweet and Gentle thought she'd have another go at eating me alive!!!

She was seriously so tender and gentle and just hanging out in my hand and then CHOMP.

Love her, though. :kimchi:

Be careful (you’re the same goon that got bit last time right?), humans don’t tend to build up an immunity or tolerance to animal venoms, in fact it’s quite the opposite. Successive bites/stings can often elicit a stronger response.

If you notice your reaction getting noticeably worse than last time don’t hesitate to see a doctor about it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah, that was me. I'm still learning to read my hognose's behavior and mood. She was clearly hungry today, but had no interest in my hand until I guess I twitched my finger the wrong way. :shrug:

I appreciate the advice and warning!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Snake language is hard.
Only time I've been bitten by one of mine was when I was holding the corn snake and sneezed. Apparently that made my mustache twitch just right to read as food, and he tagged me on the side of the lip.
At least he didn't try to hang on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have been nailed by ball pythons, rainbow boas, and corn snakes. I think a milk snake once. Kenyan sand boas.

In the Before Times, it was easy to have a ton of hand sanitizer around, and that will make almost any bite release asap.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In the Before Times, it was easy to have a ton of hand sanitizer around, and that will make almost any bite release asap.
Who'd have thought that one of the best defenses against getting bitten is to taste bad?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I've heard liquor will make them let go in a hurry too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Honestly the worst thing about this bite and subsequent swelling is how much the whole dang thing itches.

Swelling is pretty much all gone already (woo), but man these little pinprick chomps are so ITCHY, and the surrounding skin that was swollen is also super itchy. arrrrgh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Honestly the worst thing about this bite and subsequent swelling is how much the whole dang thing itches.

Swelling is pretty much all gone already (woo), but man these little pinprick chomps are so ITCHY, and the surrounding skin that was swollen is also super itchy. arrrrgh

Insect and arachnid venom itching is usually countered with antihistamines- either otc pills like Benadryl or topical stuff like calamine lotion.

No clue about snake venom tho, or if suppressing the histamine response makes the potential damage better or worse.

Maybe keep soaking your hand in hot water to denature the proteins faster?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

According to an article on the website of the NCBI, histamines are only relevant to snake bites in cases where the patient reacts badly to the antivenin, in which case antihistamines are the indicated treatment. You should be fine if you use a topical cream or even Benadryl.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, does anyone here have personal experience with keeping jumping spiders as pets? I found this video on Youtube and it is quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV8tG01mnH4

As the description says, it does make the appearance of being quite personable. It seems to understand who the hand that comes near it belongs to and actively approaches it without any fear. It's still a spider, of course, but that does give the impression of being noticeably curious and willing to initiate first contact.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 27, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
poo poo I love jumping spiders.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Cardiovorax posted:

Hey, does anyone here have personal experience with keeping jumping spiders as pets? I found this video on Youtube and it is quite interesting:

With how fast that thing jumps, and how it keeps pivoting to watch the person's face, I spent that entire video terrified it was going to suddenly just go for the eyes. Then when it ended without carnage, I was confused until I realized it wasn't liveleak, but youtube.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Jumping spiders are totally adorable. I've never heard of anyone keeping one, but apparently some people do. :3:

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Spouse was looking into them before everything broke down.
There are only a few US breeders and none of them will ship right now because live stuff has to go USPS (I think) and USPS can't guarantee overnight shipping.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
Welp. 2 weeks ago when I was camping in rural WA, a snake came slithering through the parking lot and hid under a car. The family who owned the car was trying to leave, and when I looked closer, it appeared to be a ball python, so I reached under and grabbed it, initially planning to just move it out of the way.

Now I have a baby ball python.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pics of Parking Lot, please. I mean, I assumed you named him Parking Lot. I would've.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
I present: Henry

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

inputfailed posted:

I present: Henry

Congratulations on your parking lot snake, he is a cutie

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have been nailed by ball pythons, rainbow boas, and corn snakes. I think a milk snake once. Kenyan sand boas.

There are tons of hand sanitizer in stores, I think everyone has already stocked up. I have like, two bottles in my car and at home. Probably won't have to buy more for a year.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a goto place to buy frozen rodents? I feel like this is probably something the internet has solved, but I'm also not wanting to contribute to some mouse holocaust... not sure if that's avoidable, lol.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Found this little dude last night and put him on the laptop. He (she?) seemed to like the heat. It was pretty cold.

:australia:

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.

Blow posted:

Found this little dude last night and put him on the laptop. He (she?) seemed to like the heat. It was pretty cold.

:australia:

A beauty!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

inputfailed posted:

Is there a goto place to buy frozen rodents? I feel like this is probably something the internet has solved, but I'm also not wanting to contribute to some mouse holocaust... not sure if that's avoidable, lol.

I use Big Cheese. Been using them for years now, never been disappointed. Rodents are always good size, smelling and looking clean & fresh. I like how they pack them, too. Most sizes are vacuum sealed and flat packed in neat rows on styrofoam meat trays, so they stack up pretty nicely in the freezer.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've also been using big cheese recently. Their prices are good and shipping is reasonable, and as person above me said they are good quality.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I found a baby softshell turtle in my yard recently. Cute little bugger. Not sure how it got here, unless maybe it was dropped by a bird? I'm in FL, tons of water around me, but none of it seems close enough for a baby turtle to just stroll into my yard. I'm glad I found it before it fell in a storm drain or something.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks for the line on Big Cheese!

Status update on Henry the parking lot snake... He's a voracious eater and generally active and happy dude! He's been cruising around the tank hunting almost once a week, and takes food every single time I notice him prowling, which I'm assuming means these fuzzies aren't nearly a full meal.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Henry's a cutie. He looks a little lean but not too underweight. Try to feed him prey that's about the same thickness as the thickest part of his body. If you have a scale, 10-15% of his body weight is an appropriate sized meal.

Consider mice vs rats too. An adult mouse looks about the same size as a rat pup, but the rat pup is heavier and has more nutritional value. That's why most BP breeders switch to rats ASAP. If you're feeding mice, that's fine too, but if he seems hungry on mice then you could try giving him 2 mice per feeding until he chunks up a little.

Edit: Alternatively, if you can post a picture of him with something in it for scale, I can tell you what size rodents are good for him

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 19, 2020

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005

snake and bake posted:

Alternatively, if you can post a picture of him with something in it for scale, I can tell you what size rodents are good for him

He's 121 grams and ~20 in long

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

inputfailed posted:

He's 121 grams and ~20 in long

Ok cool. He should be eating either 1 small adult mouse or rat fuzzy, or 2 mouse hoppers, or 2-3 mouse fuzzies per feeding. Bump him up to larger adult mice or rat pups when he hits about ~250 grams.

Feel free to poke me here or PM any time with any questions. Ball pythons are my jam. I breed them (although I did halt my projects for at least this year, due to covid) and I've been keeping them for almost 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005

snake and bake posted:

Lots of good info

I super appreciate it. My only other snake experience is with 3 poorly socialized corns that were dumped on me by a breeder friend. That only lasted a few months of refused meals and defensive strikes before I insisted he take them back. Henry's personality is basically a black lab, all about snacks and napping in funny spots.