Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MillennialVulcan
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Not to put a damper on it, but he might be "calm" because he's trying to minimize his activity after getting his rear end kicked by a dog two days in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup that lizard may have internal injuries that are preventing it from escaping, maybe even a brain injury I dunno. Maybe it's just a very weird lizard but brace yourself for finding it inexplicably dead at some point.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Leperflesh posted:

Yup that lizard may have internal injuries that are preventing it from escaping, maybe even a brain injury I dunno. Maybe it's just a very weird lizard but brace yourself for finding it inexplicably dead at some point.

Well that was prescient. I went to check on him and this second round with the dog did him in... there was a new puncture wound around his lungs that looked like it had been bleeding pretty badly. Found the little guy dead inside his paper towel tube shelter.

RIP my little friend, you were too chill and friendly for this world. Why did you come back to our yard?

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 15, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

H O R N E Y

Anyone know any reputable spotted python breeders?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Well that was prescient. I went to check on him and this second round with the dog did him in... there was a new puncture wound around his lungs that looked like it had been bleeding pretty badly. Found the little guy dead inside his paper towel tube shelter.

RIP my little friend, you were too chill and friendly for this world. Why did you come back to our yard?

he wasn’t chill dude, he was dying- probably in excruciating, disorienting pain

wild animals are extremely rarely supposed to be chill

Edit: just get yourself a herbivorous gecko that eats powder food, or a leopard gecko. Those guys eat canned out of a dish no problem.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Any of y'all in the Chicago/NWI area and interested in an Ackie Monitor? I know a guy who has bred a bunch and I also know his wife who is all "We need fewer lizards in our dining room." You'll need a pretty big enclosure but feeding seems simple at least? Let me know and I will hook you up.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's a T sabulosus, Guatemalan Red Rump. Terrestrial, but she has burrowed quite a way down underneath her hide, to the bottom corner of the enclosure. The zest of youth. Having said that, she is out and about most of the time (got less so during pre-moult).

I haven't got a fossorial, but I understand your experience is the norm. What species do you have?

On prey, if it's a burrowing critter like a mealworm I crush the head just in case. Reaaally don't want burrowing, like you say. Or any bite-capable prey near a moulting T.

I think you may be right and it may be premolt, tonight he just grabbed the worm and punched it in the head for about ten minutes and then left it. Video of entirely unnecessary spider-on-mealworm violence: (worm was taken away and is fine for now)

https://i.imgur.com/3yTzAIJ.mp4

Gonna let him be for a week or so and see what he's up to

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

stumbled on a pet store in my area that carries lots of axolotls- wild types and leucs/albinos and gfp+ (!), for relatively cheap too ($20-30).

But they’re all really small, under 3”. And they have them all housed in big groups together- just two 20-30 gal tanks, one for gfp+ one for everything else.

So pretty much all of them are missing digits, limbs, gills, etc. Some of the poor little bastards were completely limbless- including probably the most gfp+ of the group (that one was big, and a fast swimmer- a real trooper).

Is going straight to breeder/herp shows the best way to buy an axie? I figured the shop owner could probably source me a more mature one if I asked, but I didn’t really want to give him my patronage.

Edit: that said, it’s not an uncommon way for breeders to keep small axies until they’re a certain size. Given the species’ famous regenerative abilities, is it actually normal/ok to buy a maimed axolotl? Should I look for other signs of vigor and health and expect limbs to grow back?

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 15, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Ok Comboomer posted:

stumbled on a pet store in my area that carries lots of axolotls- wild types and leucs/albinos and gfp+ (!), for relatively cheap too ($20-30).

But they’re all really small, under 3”. And they have them all housed in big groups together- just two 20-30 gal tanks, one for gfp+ one for everything else.

So pretty much all of them are missing digits, limbs, gills, etc. Some of the poor little bastards were completely limbless- including probably the most gfp+ of the group (that one was big, and a fast swimmer- a real trooper).

Is going straight to breeder/herp shows the best way to buy an axie? I figured the shop owner could probably source me a more mature one if I asked, but I didn’t really want to give him my patronage.

Edit: that said, it’s not an uncommon way for breeders to keep small axies until they’re a certain size. Given the species’ famous regenerative abilities, is it actually normal/ok to buy a maimed axolotl? Should I look for other signs of vigor and health and expect limbs to grow back?

I buy the vast majority of my fish/shrimp/snails/etc from these people and I also provide them with snails to sell to other people. They're great to work with and their stock is always top notch:

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/axolotls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Limbs do grow back. That said, does not sound healthy at all for those axolotls, and they probably are suffering from other health concerns. Check for any local breeders, I know I got my first four from a person who ended up with more babies than they expected, and once mine grew up enough to breed themselves which is a total surprise because I thought they were too small and too young, I ended up with dozens of babies despite giving them to my fellow fishkeeper friends. Losing limbs is common with overcrowding, and I never sold any of mine unless they were at least an inch of body not including tail, and were feeding fine on non-life foods. The stuff that seem to work the best was bug bitez.