Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The panel is exactly what I'd put in a vivarium that small and the kit itself is good, the reptirad is just fantastic, the problem is it's 2 feet too small for a ball python. Don't worry it's not going to kill him, it's just going to limit his quality of life long term - we are in a running battle with dinosaurs within the hobby who think of ball pythons as "pet rocks" when what they really are is "nocturnal"

This is my boy flower taken at 3am, he's looking for a lady friend right now and is being a pain in the arse with his crashing around and squeegee sounds on the glass. He spent 6 years in a small plastic breeder box designed for storing old blankets, and it took him 6 months to go "hey nothing in here will kill me" and to start coming out of himself. He's currently squatting in this vivarium which is 6 x 2 x 2 and will be moved to a 4ft viv when the boa grows up but you can see how he's a climber.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I feel bad now :(

If it’s any consolation Julius Squeezer is not in fact a puppy dog snake, he was just cold and temporarily blind.

He’s now decided that this is the best vivarium he has ever been in and he isn’t leaving it. Julius Squeezer is not a hisser, he is a danger S noodle who will strike at the glass to get you to gently caress off. I’ll say that the fact I was trying to look into his eyes Did Not Help Matters.

He’ll calm down soon, it’s pure fear and self defence, at some point he’ll figure out that I am the bringer of rats and he’ll forget why he was so mad at the world. He calmed right down when the viv was covered for a bit. It turns out that that is a picture of him I posted before. She bought him for £750 a year ago, took him from a rack where he had lived for 3 years, put him in a bad set up intending to breed with him, and then moved him to the garage to get him out the house. The obvious happened and she ended up giving him to the first person who would take him.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
wanna meet the Repashy product marketing manager

wanna meet the brilliant mind behind naming commercial crested gecko food flavors after weed strains and naming isopod food "Morning Wood"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh it's all ok, Julius is out of his sulk and no longer wants to eat me, he's seen the Yorkie Chihuahua cross.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Grrrrrrrr raghhhhhhh outrage and dismay

I was told “he shed 3 days ago so he’s looking good” 2 weeks ago.

He just shed, it wasn’t that he had stuck eye caps it turns out this is what a black eyed snake’s eyes looks like when in blue.

Now he’s relaxed we can see he’s at least 6ft long, just very thin bodied.

The woman told someone that a cold 6ft boa constrictor in shed was perfectly safe to handle, I don’t give a duck that he tried to tag me, I’m pissed that because of her he struck the glass twice, thankfully he was far enough away not to get hurt but he really could have been. The only constellation is that he had been in an arid vivarium before and I had the humidity right up since I got him to see if it would fix his eyes.

He’s in a 4ft quarantine viv now think I’m going custom 5ft x 18 x 24 but may go higher - check out the prices on the repti-lux for custom, they scale them the same way. https://www.repti-life.co.uk I adore these guys, if you look at the regular 48” they are deliberately kept cheep to make it not worth buying a small viv.

Still don’t have a house full of vivariums, it’s one main room (kitchen quarantine) and none are on the floor which is the absolute rule. I’ve been having them custom made to go on top of solid wood furniture and the room is beginning to look like the display art installation I originally planned. There was a choice for the central vivarium and it was adult carpet python or adult black boa constrictor, but ultimately it boiled down to both main units being 5ft not 6ft and the long 8ft length 2ft width unit being better served by two 4ft vivariums.

I stand by my original statement, it’s my house and no one can stop me turning a room into an awesome mini-zoo filled with very rare snakes if I want to.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...
How do you keep on top of your humidity? Since I put that panel in it's pretty dry in there and I'm spraying quite frequently. I've some moss on order (with a new , bigger viv) but what with deliveries that won't get here til next week as it's stuck in a depot. I've some concerns about that cause he will be due a shed at some point soon.

He seems to be okay in there since the panel went in, ok with me handling him and no grumpiness. He livens up when handled and has his normal curiosity. Doesn't come out much though on his own, even at night.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The standard for vivarium for ball pythons/boa constrictors is: Localised humidity, extra hide the warm end with spag moss in it. Coco Coir mixed with tortoise soil, or repti block, good spray morning and night. But you can use damp kitchen roll scrunched up and pushed in the corner of the hides in place of moss and swap it out daily and that will be absolutely fine.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...
Thanks for all your advice. He's comfortably been installed in his new bigger viv and has started coming out for a nosey. He's eating well too. The spag moss is pretty nice stuff and and has really made keeping the humidity just right much easier. Happy days.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I love new vivariums :D

*turns torch under chin* (what could have been) A Christmas horror story

I moved my young ball python into her adult vivarium last night, the top of the big vivarium the big ball python is in seemed a bit hot and the bulb was on full power. Checked it last night and this morning it was slightly above normal. Tried to turn the habistat day/night dimming thermostat down and I did so so it decided that it's new operating range was 48c-50c and no amount of button pushing or holding would convince it otherwise. It's dead, under warranty but still dead on Christmas Eve. I do have a spare mechanical pulse thermostat that got immediately swapped out and a couple of spare 300w on/off thermostats so nothing bad happened.

The moral here is always use a thermometer gun to check temps morning and night, and always have a spare thermostat, even a £10 second hand thermostat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rabbit and Julius Squeezer are hunting each other, there are better pictures but they have me reflected in the glass looking extremely concerned. This dance has been going on all day - Thursday is feeding day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What age do beardies stop growing? When I got Bobbi in May the vet thought she was about a year old but since then she has grown another few inches at least. She used to fit in a 36x18x18 enclosure without her tail having to curl but now she's nearly 2 feet long.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
idk if they do stop growing or just slow down. I do know that most full grown adult beardies fit perfectly in 48 x 24 x 24 . General rule for reptiles is that they have the puberty spurt at a year and then chill out at 18 months to 2 years old.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, that explains it. I hadn't really noticed her growing until I was thinking "She used to fit on my shoulder a lot better." I don't think the 48x24x24 is too small or anything, she has plenty of room to run around and climb and sun, she's just getting huge.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Just another reminder if any of you needs/wants an Ackie Monitor in the Chicago/NWI area hit me up. I got a guy who breeds them. He might be willing to try and mail them?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Just had an ice storm in my area and I lost power at my apartment for roughly 30 hours. Of course, of course I recently got a bulk order of 100 frozen pinkie mice and they were in the freezer door. I never opened it while the power was off.

There's a slight odor in the freezer now, it's not strong but I plan on throwing all the frozen food out anyway. But are the mice ruined? Is there a way to tell if they're safe to feed my snake?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Frozen pinkies defrost really quickly, they’ll take on a green grey colour quite fast - Check the ones in the middle compared to the outside and I bet you’ll see a difference. The smell though, yeh an off pinkie honks when you warm it up.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

learnincurve posted:

Frozen pinkies defrost really quickly, they’ll take on a green grey colour quite fast - Check the ones in the middle compared to the outside and I bet you’ll see a difference. The smell though, yeh an off pinkie honks when you warm it up.

Okay I will take a close look at the color tonight.

Also the smell went away when I threw out my food (and left the pinkies) so maybe I got lucky. I'll give them the sniff test after warming one up tho.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't keep snakes, but I just wanted to share this absolutely magnificent pic I took of some kind of rat snake I took many years ago.

Background: This is Tulsa, Oklahoma, in a very urban area, and I am 95% sure this was someone's pet, that had escaped. You simply do not see snakes like this in this area. The most you see is small garter snakes here, and them, very rarely.

One day, in about 2008, my brother came inside telling me "HEY! There is a BIG snake outside!"

So I went outside to see, never got very close, and this chonker was on the ground. I had a really good camera with a zoom lens at the time, I went inside to get it, and when I came back out, as I walked up the hill that was the backyard, he slithered through a chain-link fence and then very athletically climbed up into a tree. I took this pic, and I love it. It's as though he posed for it.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 3, 2023

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is that a Boomslang? I’m going to check my book but the head shape is venomous. e: could be or it could be a racer, you have 73 snakes native to your area btw including the rattlesnake.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 3, 2023

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

not a boomslang! those have very distinct features.

beautiful guy, though. And oklahoma has tons of snakes beyond just garters -- I'm sorry you haven't run into any. Western hoggies are so good and cute. :kimchi:

water snake maybe?? rat snake?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 3, 2023

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's not a rat snake, I checked the book and there are a fair few racers native to the area including this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coluber_constrictor_flaviventris

http://reptile-database.reptarium.c...7%2Cexact%29%29

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 3, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I agree while that I'm not good at identifying snakes, especially since there's a few dozen different species of rat snake, that definitely looks like a venomous one just from the head shape. Either way, when I first saw the picture didn't read the post I thought you found him recently and was surprised he was alive!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Snake people looking at the cheeks and eyebrows on every unknown snake with deep suspicion.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Interesting find and great pic! I’ve lived in the area for many years and despite the theoretical existence of snakes, all I’ve ever seen in the wild are garter babies. I can only imagine what I’d find if I bothered some obvious hiding spots, but venomous snakes are only one of my concerns

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

According to the folks on r/whatsthissnake, it is the “Western ratsnake, Pantherophis obsoletus. Completely harmless rodent devourer.”

Do a google image search on them. They have an amazing variety of different colorations that vary from region to region.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

And oklahoma has tons of snakes beyond just garters -- I'm sorry you haven't run into any. Western hoggies are so good and cute. :kimchi:

Oh yeah, definitely. I’ve run into many out in the woods and near lakes. I was just so shocked by this because in this particular area, suburban south Tulsa, you never see anything but small garters. And this guy was close to 4’ long. I felt like he was an escaped pet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MrMojok posted:

According to the folks on r/whatsthissnake, it is the “Western ratsnake, Pantherophis obsoletus. Completely harmless rodent devourer.”

Do a google image search on them. They have an amazing variety of different colorations that vary from region to region.

It’s not a western rat snake. It’s shape is wrong the colours are wrong, its eyes are too big and it’s scales look filed, plus it’s rear fanged, you can tell by the cheekbones giving it it’s smug. Source: have rear fanged sneks and western rat sneks.

This is Reddit going “yep that’s a colubrid alright”

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 4, 2023

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god drat it it’s the southern black racer, now this sly bugger has done to me what it evolved to do which is to fool people it’s venomous by trying to look like a cottonmouth and living in the same areas as it does.

I’m having problems stealing a good picture

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughter is in Scouts and is trying to get a reptile and amphibian merit badge. One of the requirements is that she takes care of a reptile or amphibian for a month or she works with an entity (zoo, rescue, etc) that monitors the animal while she observes it throughout 3 months. She would communicate with the caretaker and learn about the animal itself and what it takes to take care of that reptile or amphibian. However, we live in the middle of nowhere with no places like that around. Also, we do not know anyone who has reptiles or amphibians.

Would anyone here know of a livestream of a personal reptile or amphibian habitat? I found one for a leopard gecko but the caretaker communicates in a foreign language so I do not know if communication will work out.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My daughter is in Scouts and is trying to get a reptile and amphibian merit badge. One of the requirements is that she takes care of a reptile or amphibian for a month or she works with an entity (zoo, rescue, etc) that monitors the animal while she observes it throughout 3 months. She would communicate with the caretaker and learn about the animal itself and what it takes to take care of that reptile or amphibian. However, we live in the middle of nowhere with no places like that around. Also, we do not know anyone who has reptiles or amphibians.

Would anyone here know of a livestream of a personal reptile or amphibian habitat? I found one for a leopard gecko but the caretaker communicates in a foreign language so I do not know if communication will work out.

There’s snake discovery who has Rex, the previously unfortunate alligator:

https://youtu.be/3ZWFHcSkmnw

Their livestream appears to currently be focused on a boa, but they have 5 cameras, so there might be more live Rex. If you don’t watch the above video, they have never approved of alligators as pets and still don’t.

https://youtube.com/@SnakeDiscovery

Live Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/snakediscovery

I’m sure the real herpetologists in the thread will let me know if snake discovery is actually bad.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I got a leopard gecko about 10 days ago and he's not really eating or pooping as far as I can see. I lost two crickets in his ( 25 gallon ) terrarium last week which I assume got eaten because I don't see them but other than that he's not interested in mealworms or crickets it seems. The warm part of the tank is sitting comfortably at 85-90f with cool side at 70-75f.

He has a huge chunky tail so I'm not freaking out because he can live off that fat for a while as I understand but I'm starting to worry. I don't have a picture but I will post when I get a chance. If anyone has advice I'm all ears, the internet has alot of conflicting stuff out there.

e: it was a gift for my kid who is madly in love with him, please help

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 23, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

I got a leopard gecko about 10 days ago and he's not really eating or pooping as far as I can see. I lost two crickets in his ( 25 gallon ) terrarium last week which I assume got eaten because I don't see them but other than that he's not interested in mealworms or crickets it seems. The warm part of the tank is sitting comfortably at 85-90f with cool side at 70-75f.

He has a huge chunky tail so I'm not freaking out because he can live off that fat for a while as I understand but I'm starting to worry. I don't have a picture but I will post when I get a chance. If anyone has advice I'm all ears, the internet has alot of conflicting stuff out there.

e: it was a gift for my kid who is madly in love with him, please help

got a pic of the setup? what was he eating before? the heat is from a undertank heater or above light?

a 25 gallon tall tank? i've never seen a 25, more used to 20 or 20 longs. the latter is better.

i'd say up the heat spot to 95* if possible.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sorry for the crummy photo, but yeah its a 25 gallon long tank. I put a book to cover part of the screen roof and got the temp up to 95f on the basking side, I'm just checking rhe cool side now. You can see a little plastic cup where I've been putting mealworms covered in D3/calcium powder. He sniffs and licks the air but doesn't eat them. We have a desert style substrate on the bottom but the store he came from had a more earthy substrate, which we'd read wasn't as good for leopard geckos.

He's in his cave now, but he does come out and stroll around. He's social and will come say hi if we talk to him. There's nice shaded space under the fake plant you cant really see but he hangs out there too.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 23, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
it's been ages since i had my leopard gecko colony but it wasn't that packed with stuff. i had a 40 breeder with playsand, a large plastic tote with hole in lid and filled with moss for the shedding (and i ended up with several babies over the years where i never saw any eggs) but i did have their food in a lower tray, think like a small TV dinner one? I usually kept a handful of worms in the tray with some fish flakes or other dry food so they could keep snacking before they got eaten.

are you gut loading the mealworms? mine liked crickets as a treat, and the females got pinkie mice when they were larger, but overall i fed gut loaded mealworms and waxworms once in a great while. i did train them to tong-feed, might be something to look into?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Thanks for the advice, I think it's a bit busy in there as well for the little guy. I'll make him some space.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

He just ate 2 super worms! Relief is palpable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reptiles are finicky assholes sometimes to the point I wonder how they survive in the wild.

Looking at you, ball pythons. All of mine are poking heads out and looking interested in food but the winter months still have them not into food, even with the right heat. Save for unnamed/half named baby who eats every two days if I let him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It’s not a western rat snake. It’s shape is wrong the colours are wrong, its eyes are too big and it’s scales look filed, plus it’s rear fanged, you can tell by the cheekbones giving it it’s smug. Source: have rear fanged sneks and western rat sneks.

This is Reddit going “yep that’s a colubrid alright”

This was absolutely a rat snake.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

check out who visited the catio this morning and had a very bad time

(no significant gore but spoilered anyway because dead)

northern ring-neck snake. i had no idea the adults were this small. he was maybe a foot long, and i guess that's about right for them (though they can get up to two feet long). exciting morning! had i seen him before i opened the catio window, i would have safely escorted him away. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Definitely crosspost that to critterquest in GBS if you haven't already :0 sucks they got got but they're very pretty!